Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,046 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

What Should Kayode Do? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Should Kayode Do? (14092 Views)

The Big Show: Ffk Vs Ex Wife‘’mami-water Power,powerless Power’’.fani Kayode Co (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should Kayode Do? by IyaTola: 1:25am On Dec 14, 2022
Following a performance review exercise at organization XYZ, the HoD informed a unit supervisor (Kayode) that he would not be promoted because he had not managed his team member (Peter) well enough. Essentially, according to the HoD, Peter’s misbehavior was the responsibility of Kayode to fix and make him better.

Meanwhile, Peter is a choir member in the HoD’s church and they have a bond beyond work. Peter sometimes gets to the HoD ahead of any team member to give update on the team or report things that are going on within the team to the HoD. Despite knowing this, Kayode was not deterred. He took up the assignment of developing Peter with a personal determination to get the most out of him and make him a better person. This, Kayode did, dedicatedly.

However, Peter continued to misbehave but Kayode accommodated his excesses and tried not to make an issue out of the bad attitude and behaviour he continued to get from Peter who saw Kayode as a toothless dog. This had gone on for a while, and a few months down the line, Kayode had issues with his own direct Manager which they resolved and work went on without any major disruption or escalations.

Surprisingly, it came back during the next appraisal cycle and the HoD again denied Kayode’s promotion because, according to the HoD, “Kayode could not manage his Manager well enough”. At this point, Kayode was distraught because he felt confused. How come his Manager was not getting the same hard knock as he got in dealing with Peter? What is he missing?

Kayode was about dropping his letter of resignation and taking a pay-cut to join another organization.

What advice should I give Kayode?
How can he move past this?
What options are available to him?
What developmental areas would you recommend him to work on, if any.
Looking forward to receiving your comments and suggestions.
Thank you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Rubyjade: 2:13am On Dec 14, 2022
I will advise Kayode to set KPIs in line with the organization's goal and also get his direct Manager to endorse them. Then appraise Peter at the first quarter if he is not performing he should be warned and if subsequently, it continues then the company will be forced to do the needful. Let his works be the judge.
My one cent

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by YosemiteDan: 1:00pm On Dec 14, 2022
HMM
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by JoeNL22(m): 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2022
Simple thing......Kayode should establish his own company and make Peter is manager/director.

This instance I gave above is the same thing obi is doing or did. Am very sure he(obi) had no idea he would be this popular and loved organically by sane Nigerians.

And I know one thing for sure. Kayode & peter will do better just like OBI.....Datti's a Fact!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by LiveWithIt: 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2022
Hmm
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by BOLATINUBU01: 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode should go and play football

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Adebaba1(m): 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2022
I believe Kayode should stay at his current work place and continue to work hard in his job, he should also be steadfast in prayer
Job is not easy to come by at the moment
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by appishani1(m): 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2022
Demotion
is what I would do to Peter.
I would make sure he go down so as to loose his power and promote his junior to his position

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Saturnalia(m): 1:05pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode should receive sense and use his tongue to count his teeth.

The HoD and Peter are Church members and in every Church, there’s Church politics.

The Nigerian brand of Christians are extremely wicked & worse than the Muslims.

If I’m ever given the task to eradicate religion in Nigeria, I would start with the Church because Oloriburuku ni gbogbo won from top to bottom.

According to their Holy Book, judgement will start from the Church. E get why.

They will be hiding under the powerless blood of Jesus to perpetrate their witchcraft activities.

Every Sunday, you see them in their various Churches, looking clean & appearing like Angels, but - beneath that facade lies the most obnoxious & malignant hearts darker than charcoal and souls dyed in perpetual callousness - using their little influence, wealth & money to hound & witch-hunt any unfortunate individual that are unlucky to work within & around them.

Why else do you think Nigeria keep retrogressing in every aspect inspite of the millions of Churches that litter every nooks & crannies of our rotten society?

Show me any Nigerian Christian that is Christ-Like or behaves like Jesus Christ and I will show you the kingdom of Heaven.

If Kayode likes, let him not resign and go buy himself a car and drive independently on Bolt & Uber before those bastards devour the best of his years.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by leisuretym: 1:06pm On Dec 14, 2022
Hod is probably grooming Peter to replace kayode , he doesn’t like Kayode

12 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by affable4(m): 1:06pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode has to ask the HoD if they are dragging one woman o. He keeps blaming him for everything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 14, 2022
Rubyjade:
I will advise Kayode to set KPIs in line with the organization's goal and also get his direct Manager to endorse them. Then appraise Peter at the first quarter if he is not performing he should be warned and if subsequently, it continues then the company will be forced to do the needful. Let his works be the judge.
My one cent

I duff my hat!

Couldn’t say more!

4 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by ibechris(m): 1:08pm On Dec 14, 2022
If na me,I will deal with the manager that in the next 10 years he would be at home with broken limbs,as for Peter, I will personally frustrate him till he leaves the Job

Them carry their church politics come office nonsense and conkobility.

This is why I left my bank job,cos I can't remain in one place because of one person's inability to adapt to set rules.

However,all the managers I worked for knew I never joke with cases like this and I was ready to frustrate them for nepotistice tendencies such as this.

In summary,I hate jobs like this.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 1:08pm On Dec 14, 2022
Define what you mean by Peter's misbehaviour.
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by eminikansoso(m): 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2022
Rubyjade:
My one cent
This is best option
Case study and appraisal

3 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by PHIPEX(m): 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2022
If the report above is correct, the HoD has a vested interest in Kayode's role. The KPI should be stipulated and measurable. saying Kayode "did not manage Peter well" sounds very subjective and open to personal bias. request for a measurable KPI not subjective opinions

9 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by PlayerMeji: 1:11pm On Dec 14, 2022
Okay
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by SavageResponse(m): 1:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
ShoeWorld2:
Kayode should break HOD head with coke cola bottle and resign. Nonsense lipsrsealed

I sell beautiful sneakers at affordable prices

If you do that you will land in jail!
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by dominic17: 1:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
Very interesting discussion and reality in Nigeria organizations

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Kobicove(m): 1:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
I think his next course of action would depend on how long he has been with the organisation...if he has been there over 10 years then he has over stayed his welcome and should actively start planning his exit from the company undecided
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Searchingvictor: 1:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
By ok
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by ecolime(m): 1:16pm On Dec 14, 2022
IyaTola, tell Kayode to take the job with the smaller organisation. They don't value him where he is currently.

There is no point staying with them because the HOD will give another excuse during the next appraisal cycle.

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Wealthyone: 1:16pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode should not resign because that is what the HoD and Peter wants. If he does, Peter will be promoted to take his position. However, like the person above said, he should set measurable objectives and KPIs for Peter failure which he will get a first warning. Subsequent poor performance will attract final warning and HR will have no choice than to let Peter go if he does not change. I hope your HoD is also not head of HR grin

5 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by CaveAdullam: 1:18pm On Dec 14, 2022
1. Kayode should continue with the organization if he's still able to meet up with at least 60- 70% of his benefits and can leverage it to progress towards his goals.

2. Since Peter is a bad egg, he should no longer cover up for him. All his errors should be laid bare and exposed to everyone concerned. Peter should no longer be pitied.

3. He has seen that the organization is strictly based on business and his "mistakes and empathy" has hurt his promotion. Henceforth, he should deal with people within and outside on a strict but considerate level. Compromise can't be escaped, however, he must apply wisdom where necessary.

4. Kayode should form alliances with the top people in the firm even if his position is lower than those close to the owner of the firm or MD ( or as the case may be). This is to save his position when those above him come for his head.

5. He should improve his skills and do better next session. This proves that with/without promotion he remains competent. He should keep developing himself and his promotion will come double.

6. Kayode needs to learn and study more about human nature and influences. This will guide him when dealing with people.

7. Kayode should cast every form of resentment from his heart. And must know who he's dealing with.

8. But if the organizational structure is to his detriment overall, he should take a bow and leave for a place better.

Take note: before he leaps from his boat, another boat should be close by except he can swim and can swim for long.

It is well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by BornKiller: 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2022
I would advise Kayode to encourage the adoption of an objective standard for assessing the performance standards of all workers from the HoD to even the most junior clerk or messenger. It seems the present approach leaves too much to the discretion of individuals.

6 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by harmargedon: 1:21pm On Dec 14, 2022
Who's Kayode?
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by ScrollReport: 1:21pm On Dec 14, 2022
Be guided. Fast, and pray to GOD for divine revelation and intervention.

There's something between Peter and Hod. I can relate with Kayode's situation.

4 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Sultty(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2022
tinubu is demented
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Iree1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2022
The fire should go round, as kayode is receiving the knock, Peter would receive double....

3 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by stanisbaratheon: 1:35pm On Dec 14, 2022
Interesting discussion.

I think the KPI option given above is the best because there would be a basis to measure Peter's performance over time.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N-Power Graduates In Kaduna Undergoing Verification Process / Career Opportunities At Nestle Nigeria Plc – Apply Here / Palladium International Massive Job Recruitment (35 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.