Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation (2224 Views)

Ibo To English Translation. Help Needed / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / About Iwa Akwa Festival (Igbo Initiation Into Manhood) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 5:36am On Dec 14, 2022
*ÌWÀ*

*To’ju iwa re, ore mi,*
*Ola a ma si lo n’ile eni,*
*Ewa a si ma si l’ara eniyan.*

*Olowo oni ‘nd’olosi b’o d’ola,*
*Okun l’ola, okun n’igbi oro,*
*Gbogbo won l’o nsi lo n’ile eni;*
*Sugbon iwa ni m’ba ni de sare’e,*

*Owo ko je nkan fun ni.*
*Iwa l’ewa omo eniyan,*
*Bi o l’owo bi o ko ni’wa nko?*
*Tani je f’inu tan e ba s’ohun rere?*

*Tabi ki o je obirin rogbodo,*
*Ti o ba jina si’wa ti eda nfe,*
*Tani je fe o s’ile bi aya?*

*Tabi ki o je onijibiti eniyan,*
*Bi o tile mo iwe amodaju;*
*Tani je gbe’se aje fun o se?*

*Toju Iwa re, ore mi,*
*Iwa ko si, eko d’egbe;*
*Gbogbo aiye ni ‘nfe ‘ni t’o je rere.*

*ENGLISH TRANSLATION*

*Enhance your character, my friend,*
*Prosperity could depart from one’s home,*
*And beauty could retreat from people’s bodies.*

*Today’s rich could become poor tomorrow,*
*Opulence is like ocean’s surfs; it is like ocean’s waves,*
*They come and go from one’s home as they please;*
*But, only good character follows one to the grave.*

*Money is not everything to anyone,*
*Good character is the beauty of a mortal,*
*What if you are wealthy without good character?*
*Who would trust you with something serious?*

*Perhaps, you are a gorgeous woman,*
*If you are far from societal norms,*
*Who would marry you as a wife?*

*Or you are a fraudulent person,*
*May be you are well educated;*
*Who would transact business with you?*

*Enhance your character, my friend,*
*In the absence of character, education is a waste;*

*The whole world appreciates a well-mannered person*

*_Poetry by the late Chief J.F. Odunjo, renowned Yoruba playwright, poet, politician, and statesman – from one of his popular Alawiye series._*

*This poem was recited in those days by primary school children in the old Western Region.*

1 Like

Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 5:44am On Dec 14, 2022
Unfortunately, you jettisoned the omoluabi character to support a thief and fraud(onijibiti).

Ti'wa ba Sonu..complete it
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by beeblack: 6:08am On Dec 14, 2022
Nice one, Omoluwabi pataki
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 6:18am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
Unfortunately, you jettisoned the omoluabi character to support a thief and fraud(onijibiti).

Ti'wa ba Sonu..complete it
Initially I thought I shouldn't answer you but I later realized that I need to in order to show you how unreasonable you are. The man Bola Ahmed Tinubu that you called a criminal has never been convincted in any law court as a criminal. If there is any please let me know. You people call him names and deminised him for no reason. I will never join anyone to demonise an innocent person and that's the offence I have committed. He left government since 2007 and until 2015 PDP had been in power. For that eight years we have EFCC, ICPC etc none of this organisations could charge him to court. He was taken to court once not for criminal purpose and he was discharged and acquitted. What are we talking about? What evidence do I and you have to call him a criminal? I don't dwell on beer parlour talk, frivolities and gossip. I deal with facts and truth. Give me any cogent reason and support it with facts that he is a criminal. Even the bible says out of two or three witnesses truth shall be established. The law of the land says don't call anyonya criminal until he is pronounced a criminal by the court.
For get about the gossip and beer parlour talk. He was a former governor just like Obi . Obi was also accused of wrong doing but it was not established. Check the pics below.But since I don't have any fact and he was not pronounced a criminal I can't dwell on it.

Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 6:22am On Dec 14, 2022
Unfortunately, you ended up saying nothing.
Supporting Tinubu says a lot about you
duro4chang:
Initially I thought I shouldn't answer you but I later realized that I need to in order to show you how unreasonable you are. The man Bola Ahmed Tinubu that you called a criminal has never been convincted in any law court as a criminal. If there is any please let me know. You people call him names and deminised him for no reason. I will never join anyone to demonise an innocent person and that's the offence I have committed. He left government since 2007 and until 2015 PDP had been in power. For that eight years we have EFCC, ICPC etc none of this organisations could charge him to court. He was taken to court once not for criminal purpose and he was discharged and acquitted. What are we talking about? What evidence do I and you have to call him a criminal? I don't dwell on beer parlour talk, frivolities and gossip. I deal with facts and truth. Give me any cogent reason and support it with facts that he is a criminal. Even the bible says out of two or three witnesses truth shall be established. The law of the land says don't call anyonya criminal until he is pronounced a criminal by the court.
For get about the gossip and beer parlour talk. He was a former governor just like Obi . Obi was also accused of wrong doing but it was not established. Check the pics below.But since I don't have any fact and he was not pronounced a criminal I can't dwell on it.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 6:26am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
Unfortunately, you ended up saying nothing.
Supporting Tinubu says a lot about you
It's like you are confused. Tinubu is the next president of Nigeria. He is the best man for the job. Tell me what he did wrong and support it with facts don't just sit down and be typing trash.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 6:29am On Dec 14, 2022
Yawns...we hear uninformed people say this all the time but I'm glad many omoluabis are not so stupid to follow BATstards like you.

duro4chang:
It's like you are confused. Tinubu is the next president of Nigeria. He is the best man for the job. Tell me what he did wrong and support it with facts don't just sit down and be typing trash.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 6:37am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
Yawns...we hear uninformed people say this all the time but I'm glad many omoluabis are not so stupid to follow BATstards like you.

Mind your language.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 6:38am On Dec 14, 2022
Lol...oga mod.
Otito koro
duro4chang:
Mind your language.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 6:39am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
Lol...oga mod.
I warn you. It to early.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 6:43am On Dec 14, 2022
Warn yourself and stop misrepresenting omoluabis as daft people who think with their stomach instead of their head.
Even if we are to support a fellow Yoruba, Tinubu is a no-no.
duro4chang:
I warn you. It to early.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 6:50am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
Warn yourself and stop misrepresenting omoluabis as daft people who think with their stomach instead of their head.
Even if we are to support a fellow Yoruba, Tinubu is a no-no.
What offence has Tinubu committed? What court has pronounced him guilty? You just have to fear God. You can't be listening to beer parlour talk and begin to act on it. You have to use your brain. Didn't you go to school. Did your bible teach you to talk evil of other people because some disgruntled elements are doing it. Be sensible! Don't allow anyone to lure you into evil. Use your sense. Tinubu is as innocent as anyone unless a court if law pronounced him a criminal. Don't join bandwagon. Let your education reflect in your thinking.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by Naira20: 7:05am On Dec 14, 2022
I'm surprised you are the only "sane" omoluabi that says "what offence has Tinubu committed?".So much for a true " omoluabi".

Continue dancing n.aked in the market.

See how this one disgraced himself because of Tinubu only to come and lie on National TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIEUqSyTPs

Even the hijab lady was shocked
duro4chang:
What offence has Tinubu committed? What court has pronounced him guilty? You just have to fear God. You can't be listening to beer parlour talk and begin to act on it. You have to use your brain. Didn't you go to school. Did your bible teach you to talk evil of other people because some disgruntled elements are doing it. Be sensible! Don't allow anyone to lure you into evil. Use your sense. Tinubu is as innocent as anyone unless a court if law pronounced him a criminal. Don't join bandwagon. Let your education reflect in your thinking.
Re: Toju Iwa Re: A Yoruba Poem With English Translation by duro4chang(m): 7:44am On Dec 14, 2022
Naira20:
I'm surprised you are the only "sane" omoluabi that says "what offence has Tinubu committed?".So much for a true " omoluabi".

Continue dancing n.aked in the market.

See how this one disgraced himself because of Tinubu only to come and lie on National TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIEUqSyTPs

Even the hijab lady was shocked
Your language is dirty and foul it is not expected of a true Yoruba man. Yoruba will say Omo ti aba bi ire ki ihi hi Iwa buruku. Learn how to use clean and intelligible language . You claiming to be omoluabi is even suspicious. You are not a Yoruba not to talk of being omoluabi. We are trained to talk to people politely. Even the bible also says the same thing. Learn how to be polite and we'll behaved

(1) (Reply)

Obi Unfolds Measures To Revive Igbo Language / Nigeria Your First Lady Is A MILF / Checkout These Weird Shoes Emir Of Kano Sanusi Lamido Wore To An Event (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.