Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Tech Layoffs & AI Threat - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tech Layoffs & AI Threat (394 Views)

With Chatgpt And All The Layoffs, Is There Still Hope For Beginners Like Me? / Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tech Layoffs & AI Threat by YoobaNesan: 5:03pm On Dec 16, 2022
This year as seen the highest level of mass Layoffs from almost 80% of global tech companies, which has caused panic in the tech ecosystem.

Last week, an AI company called openAI also showcases a new wonder technology - ChatGPT, which can perform perfectly any task outsource to it in no time.
Thus call for concern as some predict about half of tech jobs will be lost to AI in decades to come.

What's your experience about latest layoffs in your companies? Were you or your colleagues retrenched? How do those that were sacked coping? Should we expect more of these or it's just transient.

What's the future of programmers amidst these disruptions?
Let's hear from the house.
mukina2, lordZOUGA
cc qtguru, omoluabiguy, tenzagentsu20
Re: Tech Layoffs & AI Threat by omoluabiguy: 6:15pm On Dec 16, 2022
YoobaNesan:

mukina2, lordZOUGA
cc qtguru, omoluabiguy, tenzagentsu20

I find it funny when people says tech jobs would be gone due to AI? First, what do you refer to as tech jobs?
There is a huge difference between people who are developing techs and people who work for a tech company.
Take for example, someone working as a customer support service for a tech company, I don’t think that is considered as tech job, I would say “working for tech company “ and yes it’s easy to lose that job when the real tech developers build a bot that can answer calls and respond to customers on phone.
It’s still people who build AI, tech dev (the real people in tech) job is never going anywhere. That’s my opinion.
Only people who work for tech companies might be laid off when bots build by tech devs are doing most of the support jobs. Even the bots needs maintenance and upgrades from time to time so the tech dev stays!

1 Like

Re: Tech Layoffs & AI Threat by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2022
Same thread everyday angry
Re: Tech Layoffs & AI Threat by YoobaNesan: 8:32pm On Dec 16, 2022
Thanks bro.
I'd be glad if you can mentor me in C# language.
That has been my go to language from day 1, how do I contact you?

omoluabiguy:

I find it funny when people says tech jobs would be gone due to AI? First, what do you refer to as tech jobs?
There is a huge difference between people who are developing techs and people who work for a tech company.
Take for example, someone working as a customer support service for a tech company, I don’t think that is considered as tech job, I would say “working for tech company “ and yes it’s easy to lose that job when the real tech developers build a bot that can answer calls and respond to customers on phone.
It’s still people who build AI, tech dev (the real people in tech) job is never going anywhere. That’s my opinion.
Only people who work for tech companies might be laid off when bots build by tech devs are doing most of the support jobs. Even the bots needs maintenance and upgrades from time to time so the tech dev stays!

(1) (Reply)

Hot Python Developer Is Needed / Tech Warning!!! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.