Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,590 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit (424 Views)

U.S Notified Russia Of Biden's Ukraine Visit (Photos) / Russia & China's Nuclear Bombers Encircles Japan During Joe Biden Visit (Photos) / President Nana Akufo-Addo Sleeping At Russia-Africa Summit (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by adamusuleiman1: 10:43pm On Dec 16, 2022
U.S. President Joe Biden capped a summit of 50 African leaders by stressing his administration's deep commitment to Africa, urging the continent's leaders to respect the will of their people, and saying he may come visit.

The U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit concluded Thursday with bonhomie, $55 billion in U.S. commitments, and this from Biden:

Analysts say the U.S. is trying to work with a range of African partners — regardless of their track records — on issues where they can find common ground.

"I think what Washington is trying to do is diversify its relationships on the continent and not make them dependent on any one leader or any one group of countries because what we have seen is these countries remain fragile and a strategic partner today could be engulfed in civil war tomorrow," said Cameron Hudson, an analyst on African peace, security, and governance at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He spoke to VOA via Zoom.

Biden also invited the leaders of Congo, Gabon, Liberia, Madagascar, Nigeria and Sierra Leone to a private meeting on Wednesday, where they discussed their upcoming elections during what the White House says is a "critical time for democracy globally."

Publicly, Biden affirmed support for more African representation at the G-20 and the U.N. Security Council — while also not ignoring leaders' shortfalls.

"As leaders, our people inspire us," he said. "They awaken us to possibilities that are within our grasp. There are so many possibilities if we work together. They tell us hard truths that we need to hear. And sometimes we have trouble listening. They challenge us to live up to the values enshrined in so many of our founding documents and to be worthy of the responsibility given to us by that sacred trust."

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-africa-summit-ends-with-billion-dollar-pledges-hints-of-biden-visit/6878956.html

1 Like

Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by God1000(m): 10:48pm On Dec 16, 2022
Buhari should not bother coming back, no one misses him

1 Like

Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by Bluntguy: 11:01pm On Dec 16, 2022
I see Buhari not wanting Tinubu to succeed him. I see Buhari handing over to President Peter Obi come May 29th 2023. This I have seen.
I am not False prophet and Falseprophet is not me.
I am Bluntguy.

1 Like

Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by gambojimeta: 11:24pm On Dec 16, 2022
God1000:
Buhari should not bother coming back, no one misses him
grin grin grin
Buhari is a real African man unlike others that are wearing suit.

2 Likes

Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by Konquest: 5:28am On Dec 17, 2022
adamusuleiman1:
U.S. President Joe Biden capped a summit of 50 African leaders by stressing his administration's deep commitment to Africa, urging the continent's leaders to respect the will of their people, and saying he may come visit.

The U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit concluded Thursday with bonhomie, $55 billion in U.S. commitments, and this from Biden:

Analysts say the U.S. is trying to work with a range of African partners — regardless of their track records — on issues where they can find common ground.

"I think what Washington is trying to do is diversify its relationships on the continent and not make them dependent on any one leader or any one group of countries because what we have seen is these countries remain fragile and a strategic partner today could be engulfed in civil war tomorrow," said Cameron Hudson, an analyst on African peace, security, and governance at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He spoke to VOA via Zoom.

Biden also invited the leaders of Congo, Gabon, Liberia, Madagascar, Nigeria and Sierra Leone to a private meeting on Wednesday, where they discussed their upcoming elections during what the White House says is a "critical time for democracy globally."

Publicly, Biden affirmed support for more African representation at the G-20 and the U.N. Security Council — while also not ignoring leaders' shortfalls.

"As leaders, our people inspire us," he said. "They awaken us to possibilities that are within our grasp. There are so many possibilities if we work together. They tell us hard truths that we need to hear. And sometimes we have trouble listening. They challenge us to live up to the values enshrined in so many of our founding documents and to be worthy of the responsibility given to us by that sacred trust."

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-africa-summit-ends-with-billion-dollar-pledges-hints-of-biden-visit/6878956.html
Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by Masterviolence(m): 8:57am On Dec 17, 2022
gambojimeta:

grin grin grin
Buhari is a real African man unlike others that are wearing suit.
I noticed that immediately I viewed that picture.
Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by opamoses1: 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
A full picture of African leaders at the summit.

1 Share

Re: Us-Africa Summit Ends With Billion-Dollar Pledges, Hints Of Biden Visit by Adjovi: 9:22am On Dec 18, 2022
Money wey Una go give us and then use it to still multiple of it through our resources... Nonsense our mumu leaders

(1) (Reply)

Can A President (single Individual) Change The Economy Of A Country / US Consulate General Lagos Auction Sales / ‘Mega Strike’ Hits germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.