Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,721 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

He Died Because He Snapped This Photo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Died Because He Snapped This Photo (5579 Views)

I Snapped This Logo In One Secondary School In My Area. (Pic) / How Sylvester Oromoni Was Tortured Before He Died - Father (Video) / Sylvester Oromoni: Video Of Dowen College Student In Pains Before He Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Keli222: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Many people are familiar with this image but the story behind the photo is even more interesting than the image itself

In this video I share the sad story behind the image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWN2B7vAUU
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Caleb15(m): 7:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
I no watch, explain am for here

9 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by BeardedMeat(m): 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
La click...
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by grandstar(m): 8:00pm On Dec 17, 2022
Something must kill a man..
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Manna4Gurls: 8:25pm On Dec 17, 2022
BeardedMeat:
La click...

La bend

9 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Keli222: 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2022
Caleb15:
I no watch, explain am for here

Here is some of the explanation...

The picture was taken during the 1990s famine in southern sudan.

It shows a starving Little boy on his way to a United Nations feeding center when he did not have the strength to go any longer, exhausted by starvation, he had to rest for a while. Attracting the attention of a vulture waiting to feast on him.

The child's parents had already gone to collect food leaving him behind.

1 Like

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Caleb15(m): 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lie try another one, the photographer won a pulfizer award for that pics

7 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 17, 2022
I remember little of the story.i think he committed suicide or so

3 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by dominique(f): 9:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
The boy actually made it to the feeding center but the photographer's life never remained the same, he ended up committing suicide despite winning a Pulitzer prize for the photo

13 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by MMWandali: 9:18pm On Dec 17, 2022
The story of a human being without humanity

Inhumane human

2 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Nbote(m): 9:31pm On Dec 17, 2022
The photographer was asked what happened to the boy in the photo he took and his response made him realise how inhumane he was caring more about a photo than a starving child. That was what drove him into depression

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Wickedfacts: 9:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
Caleb15:

He died via suicide. People condemned him for snapping pics instead of helping the dying child.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by jumper524(m): 10:46pm On Dec 17, 2022
Wickedfacts:

He died via suicide. People condemned him for snapping pics instead of helping the dying child.
eyahhhh, but mean that photo is priceless, I'll go into depression only if the child didn't make it.

1 Like

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by jumper524(m): 11:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
That shot didn't kill him, poverty did, see his sucidr note, he priotized his utmost pain before his political emphatic problem.

“I’m really, really sorry. The pain of life overrides the joy to the point that joy does not exist… I am depressed… without a phone… money for rent … money for child support… money for debts… money!!!… I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain… of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners… I have gone to join Ken [recently deceased colleague Ken Oosterbroek] if I am that lucky”.

1 Like

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by tuzle(m): 11:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
Caleb15:
he later committed suicide after some years. thou I don't know if it was because of this
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by faceLAGOS: 3:10am On Dec 18, 2022
The reason the guy wouldn’t or couldn’t help the starving child was because of protocol which was that that foreigners were not advised to have physical contact with the locals due to disease or something.

Sometimes, I wonder why legality should override morality in any circumstances.

After all, we are first moral agents.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Lucasinho(m): 4:34am On Dec 18, 2022
Keli222:

Here is some of the explanation...

The picture was taken during the 1990s famine in southern sudan.

It shows a starving Little boy on his way to a United Nations feeding center when he did not have the strength to go any longer, exhausted by starvation, he had to rest for a while. Attracting the attention of a vulture waiting to feast on him.

The child's parents had already gone to collect food leaving him behind.

who took the damn fvcking pics?
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Amarisco(f): 5:37am On Dec 18, 2022
BeardedMeat:
La click...

La quench

1 Like

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by Amarisco(f): 5:46am On Dec 18, 2022
Topeagbede:
kindly tag the UK government , london stock exchange group and relevant authorities

So for your mind, all these people dey NL abi grin

2 Likes

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:18am On Dec 18, 2022
The photographer was Kevin Carter.

He committed suicide. In his suicide note, he wrote that the images of hunger and sufferings he had taken had haunted him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by benefitzte: 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2022
Why didn't he help the starving child to the food centre instead of talking photographs of him for his profit.
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by SUPERPACK: 3:06pm On Dec 18, 2022
benefitzte:
Why didn't he help the starving child to the food centre instead of talking photographs of him for his profit.
Journalist are not allowed to interfere during a war. You can snap all you want but the minute you touch someone you are immediately assumed to be affiliated to that group and can be killed.

He took that photo in a hurry and also mentioned that the enemy soldier where in sight so he can't help even if he wish to.

That photo he took helped a lot more, the international community saw the extent of the war through that photo and intervened.

From his interviews he stayed some minutes for the vulture to leave but when it did not, he scared it away. The child was about 100 meters to the UN food camp where his parents went to find food.

The person in the picture was later recognised as a boy and he died in 2007 from fever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by 1Sharon(f): 5:27pm On Dec 18, 2022
faceLAGOS:
The reason the guy wouldn’t or couldn’t help the starving child was because of protocol which was that that foreigners were not advised to have physical contact with the locals due to disease or something.

Sometimes, I wonder why legality should override morality in any circumstances.

After all, we are first moral agents.

This sounds like BS
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by jumper524(m): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Journalist are not allowed to interfere during a war. You can snap all you want but the minute you touch someone you are immediately assumed to be affiliated to that group and can be killed.

He took that photo in a hurry and also mentioned that the enemy soldier where in sight so he can't help even if he wish to.

That photo he took helped a lot more, the international community saw the extent of the war through that photo and intervened.

From his interviews he stayed some minutes for the vulture to leave but when it did not, he scared it away. The child was about 100 meters to the UN food camp where his parents went to find food.

The person in the picture was later recognised as a boy and he died in 2007 from fever.
dude looked and waited for the perfect time for the picture, he was suppose to react quickly and not take those picture. That was a severe case to even immortalise no matter how chronic, dude said the child did made it to the un Base.
Re: He Died Because He Snapped This Photo by jamesversion: 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2022
jumper524:
dude looked and waited for the perfect time for the picture, he was suppose to react quickly and not take those picture. That was a severe case to even immortalise no matter how chronic, dude said the child did made it to the un Base.

You're incorrect. He want taking the pictures of the child as the child struggled to get to the UN food base. As he turned his angle, he captured the vulture as it just landed on the ground.

If you have any idea of photography you'd know that it is usual for photographers to take several shots at different angles and then pick the best shots. That was what he was doing before the vulture landed and was captured in the photo.

The photo journalist made sure he scared the vulture away before he left for another town.

I understand the picture is offensive but it also played a part in garnering relief during the war.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Tell Your Parents You Want To Drop Out Of School / UNN 2016/2017 Primary Admission List Released / Yeiiii... My Fellow Teachers, FG Has Done It Again!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.