Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! (12597 Views)

Photos From Inside The Medview Plane That Crashlanded On Nov 5th In Lagos / PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / Living In Lagos, Is It Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2011
If you want high quality of living, your best bet is going “Down Under” or the “Great White North.”

That’s according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s ranking of 140 cities worldwide that “quantifies the challenges that might be presented to an individual’s lifestyle,” according to the report.

At the bottom of the list:

130) Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
132) Tehran, Iran
133) Douala, Cameroon
134) Karachi, Pakistan
135) Tripoli, Libya
136) [size=16pt]Lagos, Nigeria[/size]
137) Algiers, Algeria
138) Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea *
138) Dhaka, Bangladesh *
139) Harare, Zimbabwe

The “Arab Spring” has hurt livability ratings of cities in the Middle East and North Africa, with Tripoli – which has unraveled into street fighting in recent weeks – ranking among the worst cities for the first time (the survey was done in July, before the rebel assault).

Source: http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/31/the-worlds-most-livable-city-is/
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by werepeLeri: 2:19pm On Aug 31, 2011
and yet - according to them - the worlds most happy people live in the same part of Nigeria - Lagos. Or Nigerians are no more the world's happiest people?
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 2:35pm On Aug 31, 2011
The happiest people in the world by the current ranking is Denmark.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Afam4eva(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
How come they never include Abuja in any of these rankings. Just another way to bring Nigeria down.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 2:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
No they are being true to themselves.
Take Washington for example, it is not the most liveable city in the US yet it is the capital.
Abuja is only abuja because of federal presence there. it cannot sustain itself like Lagos.
I would prefer that they survey Calabar and Jos instead of Lagos.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Afam4eva(m): 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
ELE-OVIE:

No they are being true to themselves.
Take Washington for example, it is not the most liveable city in the US yet it is the capital.
Abuja is only abuja because of federal presence there. it cannot sustain itself like Lagos.
I would prefer that they survey Calabar and Jos instead of Lagos.

Jos ke. Do you want us to carry last?
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 3:03pm On Aug 31, 2011
Well, Ive never been to Jos, so I cannot tell. I have only heard that the city is conducive for raising a family.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Afam4eva(m): 3:04pm On Aug 31, 2011
ELE-OVIE:

Well, Ive never been to Jos, so I cannot tell. I have only heard that the city is conducive for raising a family.

That was before not now. They're biggest export right now is murder.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 3:10pm On Aug 31, 2011
Can you imagine?
Honestly, I think that this country is not heading in the right direction in addressing our basic needs - food, clothing and shelter and giving us the most basic infrastructure (aka - bread and butter responsibilities of any government) - power and good roads not to talk of good education and health services.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Outstrip(f): 3:22pm On Aug 31, 2011
Okay let's be optimistic. Can somebody name one city in Nigeria that is nice to live in. We can rule out Lagos, Ibadan, Benin City. Any city at all. I need some reassurance this morning
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by ELEOVIE(m): 3:25pm On Aug 31, 2011
Calabar is definitely nice to live in.

Or are there any objections?
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Afam4eva(m): 3:28pm On Aug 31, 2011
Outstrip:

Okay let's be optimistic. Can somebody name one city in Nigeria that is nice to live in. We can rule out Lagos, Ibadan, Benin City. Any city at all. I need some reassurance this morning

There are relatively liveable cities in Nigeria. It's just that those cities are not commercial cities, that explain why they're liveable. Cities like Calabar, Enugu, Owerri, Asaba, Kaduna and Abuja. As soon as these cities start having some commercial activities like Lagos, Aba, Onitsha, Port-hacourt and even Ibadan, then they'll ceaze to be liveable.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Basics007: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2011
I was actually suprised they didnt put Lagos in the last position. That Harare must be a Hell on earth.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by BigMeat2: 4:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
Most of the statistics are unrealiable and always biased.

Yes Lagos is not a city that is accomodating, but it has got real life and soul compared with other parts of the country.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by allday(m): 4:51pm On Aug 31, 2011
I just think these stats are not classified, Lagos cannot be that Ranked low, there are some other cities in the middle east that should fill the bottom of that list, hahhah
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by sley4life(m): 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
i disagree
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by kabukabu50(m): 4:55pm On Aug 31, 2011
Lagos is in no way a "liveable"city unless you have your thick skull deep in sand grin
To be liveable a city has to have,
1)24/7 Electricity-Not the constant hum of generators angry
2)Extensive sewer network-Not open drains,septic tanks and heaps of filthy rubbish.
3)Well co ordinated Emergency service-not waiting 30 mins for ambulance/police or rescue.
4)Water hydrants-not Fire trucks hauling gallons of water
5)green areas for conservation-not concrete jungle.
6)Sidewalks,bike paths and parks
7)Access to transportation,lots of rail,road options to commuters

Lagos doesn't come close to qualifying thats why its on the list, if your're mad about that, go beat your brains into a pulp. grin
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by dtk: 5:15pm On Aug 31, 2011
so sad,
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Greenslim: 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2011
The population of Lagos is far bigger than those ones.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Digriz(m): 5:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
kabukabu50:

Lagos is in no way a "liveable"city unless you have your thick skull deep in sand grin
To be liveable a city has to have,
1)24/7 Electricity-Not the constant hum of generators angry
2)Extensive sewer network-Not open drains,septic tanks and heaps of filthy rubbish.
3)Well co ordinated Emergency service-not waiting 30 mins for ambulance/police or rescue.
4)Water hydrants-not Fire trucks hauling gallons of water
5)green areas for conservation-not concrete jungle.
6)Sidewalks,bike paths and parks
7)Access to transportation,lots of rail,road options to commuters

Lagos doesn't come close to qualifying thats why its on the list, if your're mad about that, go beat your brains into a pulp. grin
u are right
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 31, 2011
the list is right! completely right, i think calabar is not that big to be in that list but the city is ok shaa,
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Ben13: 5:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
Who dare add Lagos in a list talking about "Livable"? cheesy
CNN just likes patronizing Lagos.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by diamondboa(m): 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
Is this really true ? shocked
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2011
Ben-10:

grin grin u bad!
even naija as a whole;remember sexiest accent lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by DaLover(m): 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2011
afam4eva:

How come they never include Abuja in any of these rankings. Just another way to bring Nigeria down.

guy u have to be up to be brought down!! 9ja is down and out right not
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by donem: 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2011
ELE-OVIE:

Calabar is definitely nice to live in.

Or are there any objections?
you are right i dont think there is any realistic objecion to calabar the word there liveable was generalized it didn't specify in terms of industrialization, in that case i think calabar measures up well with lagos in terms of liveable considering the fact its a very peaceful place with a serene, green and clean environment
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by kadman(m): 6:12pm On Aug 31, 2011
Ben-10:

ha ha ha, u got me in stitches cheesy
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by dipo1: 6:32pm On Aug 31, 2011
Lagos cannot be liveable because THIS IS LAGOS grin
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by tpia5: 6:35pm On Aug 31, 2011
its unliveable but people still live there.

d.aft topic.
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
^ and the worst ;what about cities never mentioned in the list or are there only that amount?
if there re more cities then what will u call them! really d.a.f.t topic
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 31, 2011
Why is Libya not the most livable city in Africa or the world? As Gaddafi followers laid claim to here!. I thought Libyan cities are the best in Africa! M.o.r.o.n.s!
Re: Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! by nasoeb: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
Most N/Lders are just asss hole.

they dont know what it takes to be "Live-able" nor the criteria for such, yet they will be the first to go into disagreeing or argument as if they pay them for arguing.
Most Nigerians like finding fault are disagreeing yet they can not offer anything.

Ask them what makes Lagos live-able or why it shouldn't be ranked that low, they cant explain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Easiest Way To Get Australian Visa / How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? / Uk Settlement Visa Info

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.