Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,229 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I (1434 Views)

Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives / Army, Police Raid ESN Camps In Aba, Kill 16 IPOB's ESN Operatives (Photos) / 386 Injured Soldiers, Others Quit Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by greenermodels: 6:51am On Dec 19, 2022
Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives Invited To Fight Herdsmen In Gun Battle

*Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives Invited To Fight Herdsmen In Gun Battle*

SaharaReporters gathered that trouble started when the armed herdsmen invaded Isiado village in Agu-Amede community in the early hours of Wednesday.

Eha-Amufu and nearby communities in Isi-Uzo local government area of Enugu State have become a ghost area after Nigerian soldiers reportedly engaged operatives of Eastern Security Network (ESN) in a gun duel.

ESN, the militant arm of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) had been invited by the communities to assist in warding off marauding herdsmen suspected to be of Fulani extraction, who have been terrorising residents.

IPOB is a secessionist group demanding a separate state of Biafra from Nigeria. Its leader, Nnamdi Kanu has been in detention since June 2021 when he was renditioned from Kenya to Nigeria.

SaharaReporters gathered that the soldiers along with security agents from various tactical squads of the Nigeria Police Force killed one young man during the shootout, which a source said lasted for over two hours.

SaharaReporters gathered that trouble started when the armed herdsmen invaded Isiado village in Agu-Amede community in the early hours of Wednesday.

Sources told SaharaReporters that after several hours of a heavy shootout with local vigilantes, the armed herdsmen retreated.

However, on Wednesday evening, a truck belonging to Dangote Cement was intercepted at a checkpoint in Umuhu-Eha-Amufu by Ebonyi bridge with people suspected to be Fulani herdsmen onboard.

After some resistance by the driver of the truck, the vehicle was searched and some arms and ammunition were allegedly found.

A source said the Dangote truck driver who was heading to Nkalagu, Ebonyi State had upon interrogation, said he had been cleared at several checkpoints along the Ubolo-Ikem Road, before arriving at the Umuhu bridge checkpoint.

The source said, "The local vigilantes demanded to search the truck but the driver resisted. The vigilantes insisted and found over 40 herdsmen in the truck, along with arms and ammunition.

"Many people gathered after the discovery but some soldiers soon arrived. They tried to clear the road for the vehicle and its occupants to continue their journey but some youths said no and blocked the road.

"Unfortunately, the arrival of ESN operatives who were alerted charged the atmosphere, leading to the soldiers with other security agents from the police tactical squad who equally stormed the scene to engage in a shootout with them.

"The shooting from the army unit did nothing to quell the situation as the crowd began to seize the occupants of the truck. The trailer was set ablaze shortly after and some herdsmen who were identified as being in possession of the discovered weapons were reportedly killed. It is unclear how many were involved.”

"However, the soldiers also killed a member of ESN during the shootout," the source added.

Meanwhile, Eha-Amufu town and adjoining communities have been deserted, a local security source told SaharaReporters, adding that "only us, security men are in the town."

"We are envisaging that security agencies, especially the military that have been complicit in the undeclared armed herdsmen 'war' on our communities will come back to attack our communities," he said.

SaharaReporters had reported that no fewer than 20 people including women and children had been killed by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen within a month during attacks on Agu-Amede, Mgbuji and Eboh communities in Eha-Amufu. Unfortunately, Nigerian security agencies have yet to arrest any of the assailants.

In the past year, 17 villages have been sacked by invading gunmen said to be herdsmen.

However, efforts made by SaharaReporters to get the reaction of the state police command were unsuccessful as the command's spokesman DSP Daniel Ndukwe did not answer calls from our correspondent.

Also, Nigerian Army has yet to respond to a text message seeking clarification regarding the allegations that soldiers have been aiding armed herdsmen in Eha-Amufu.

Neither the Director, Army Public Relations Officer, Bridger General Onyema Nwachukwu nor the Deputy Army Public Relations Officer, Major Jonathan Unuakhalu answered their calls.

https://saharareporters.com/2022/12/08/enugu-town-deserted-after-nigerian-soldiers-others-engage-ipobesn-operatives-invited
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Enilode: 6:52am On Dec 19, 2022
Thinking about Nigerian problem will make you sick

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Humble25(m): 6:53am On Dec 19, 2022
We now see killing humans as norms in Nigeria, no day go by without hearing news of people been killed, and the failed govt are nt taking proactive measure to stop this. may God save us all.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 19, 2022
Sorry, who do we even believe here?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Corrinthians(m): 6:55am On Dec 19, 2022
They used to brag about ghost towns, thinking they were hurting Jubril El Sudani. Look at them today - behold, the real ghost towns!! A barren wilderness where nothing survives.

This is where hate and bigotry has brought Ndigbo.

Eyaa. cry

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by bhella10: 6:55am On Dec 19, 2022
They should be rooted out
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Islandlady(f): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2022
The monster they created, very soon the whole state will be a ghost state!!!

Southwest will not accept any refugees from the yeast pls!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by greenermodels: 6:57am On Dec 19, 2022
Many Feared Killed As Herdsmen Storm Enugu Community Again

A yet-to-be-ascertained number of people have been reportedly killed in the troubled Ebor, Eha-Amufu community in Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State on Sunday by armed herdsmen and their collaborators.

Security sources told our correspondent that the invaders who outnumbered the soldiers and local vigilantes, launched the attack on early Sunday morning, adding that several people were killed.

“As I speak to you, we are combing bushes in search of the bodies of those killed. I can’t tell now the exact number of people killed.

From the report I received, the armed herdsmen and their collaborators from Benue State communities launched the attack around 5:30 am to 6 am this Sunday morning. Before we got there, several people have been killed.

“We are just a few soldiers here and where we are based is a little bit far from the community. There are no other security operatives from other security agencies here in Eha-Amufu helping except the local vigilantes. They (vigilantes) first engaged them but the invading armed herdsmen outnumbered them,” a security source said.

A community leader, who gave his name as Ogbuabor Samuel, confirmed the attack.

As I speaking to you, the invading armed herdsmen are still shooting. Several people have been killed, at least we have recovered the bodies of 10 people.”

Blaming the local government chairman, whom he described as playing politics with the lives of Eha-Amufu because of the 2023 general elections.

“The chairman of the Isi-Uzo local government area is playing politics with our lives. He didn’t want to tell the governor the true facts of what is happening in our community. He is not supporting the local vigilantes and other local security.

“A few weeks ago, he dissolved all the local vigilantes formed by Eha-Amufu communities yet he hardly visit the affected communities. We need the government to declare a security emergency in Eha-Amufu, especially in Ebor, Umujiovu, Mgbuji and Agu-Amede communities. Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi should do something drastic. His government should stop politicizing the situation in our place.

“They should stop fabricating stories that our people are collaborating in our situations. That is a fallacy and diverts attention from the real issues. Agala people in Benue State have joined forces with armed herdsmen attacking and killing our people every day. They have sacked several villages and occupied them. They have destroyed our people’s livelihood. Properties worth millions have been destroyed and those in political positions in Enugu State are playing politics with it?

Since these recent attacks started in October, we haven’t seen policemen. You can only see police if their commissioner is coming to witness the destruction. And when the commissioner goes back to Enugu, he starts dishing out false narratives. Where are the tactical squad and operational assets of the police he told Nigerians through the media that he had deployed to Eha-Amufu?

“We want to know who the security agencies in Enugu State are protecting their interest. The invading armed herdsmen? Could it be that the security chiefs in Enugu State are in the state to give cover to armed herdsmen?” he lamented.

Recall that the last attack on Ebor and Umujiovu communities on December 8, 2022, claimed 25 lives but the Enugu State Police Command told the media that only four people were killed.

After that very attack, because it was inside Eha-Amufu town, people fled their homes. So many of them ran to neighboring communities in Ebonyi State and some to the Enugu capital. So many have been forced into Internally Displaced Persons’ abodes.

The PUNCH reports that since January 5, 2021, till date no fewer than 120 people had been confirmed killed in four communities in Eha-Amufu by armed Fulani herdsmen and collaborators from the Agala community in Benue State.

Meanwhile, the Enugu State Police Command has confirmed the attack although without details of casualty.

The Command’s spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, who confirmed the latest attack to our correspondent in a text message, said, “sketchy report at my disposal shows that there was an attack. But the assailants were repelled by a Joint Police/Army team, that is currently trailing them.” (Sunday PUNCH: Text, Excluding Headline)

https://newsexpressngr.com/news/174583
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by FrancescoFarino(f): 7:02am On Dec 19, 2022
There was a country !
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Emergingnation3(m): 7:04am On Dec 19, 2022
Corrinthians:
They used to brag about ghost towns, thinking they were hurting Jubril El Sudani. Look at them today - behold, the real ghost towns!! A barren wilderness where nothing survives.

Eyaa. cry
Says Afonja pi**g ! You don't expect to see civilians on a battle front.

IPOB is fighting a good fight of defending their ancestral land from marauding Fulani terrorist backed by your terrorist security operative.....

Unlike Afonja in their cowardness, that'll rather flee to the neighbors country, instead of standing to defend their ancestral land from the invaders..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Writer01: 7:05am On Dec 19, 2022
Like seriously
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by kettykin: 7:05am On Dec 19, 2022
It seems the second Nigeria civil war is around the corner, if soldiers are giving cover for herdsmen then it is over for Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Fejoku: 7:05am On Dec 19, 2022
Corrinthians:

Eyaa. cry
Your hate couldn't make you see that the Nigerian army joined fulani terrorists to attack a farming town leaving the inhabitants with the only option of vacating their homes.
Shame on you.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Aufbauh(m): 7:06am On Dec 19, 2022
The Igbos are using propaganda to kill innocent Northerners.

You just saw innocent boys aboard the bucket of the truck who are probably migrating to a greener location, label them terrorist and burn them.

Where are the guns they accused those boys to be welding? Unwholesome propaganda.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Iykoto86(m): 7:10am On Dec 19, 2022
Corrinthians:

Eyaa. cry
People are back for chrismas in eha amufu as we speak.but my guy,why not codenm this attrocities by this herdsmen first.They are evil.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by jumper524(m): 7:14am On Dec 19, 2022
40 herdsmen with weapon found being defended by soldiers yet EZN could kill them and burn the truck.
talk another lie or give us the real story. ipob loves camera, they should show us clips of soldiers defending them and the herdsmen with weapon.
the way these people twist news go just weak you. see another news of herdsmen outnumbering soldiers in Enugu. was it not the same soldiers that were protecting the herds men in ipob news. too much lies when no dey tally and Sahara reporters would quickly post in order to push a false narrative.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:16am On Dec 19, 2022
Corrinthians:

Eyaa. cry
Hmmmmmm, this is deep!

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by jumper524(m): 7:16am On Dec 19, 2022
Fejoku:

Your hate couldn't make you see that the Nigerian army joined fulani terrorists to attack a farming town leaving the inhabitants with the only option of vacating their homes.
Shame on you.
this is pure lies, it would have been a big broadcasting news and TV stations would show it but it's pure lies, we know how fake news spread in the east, that's why Sahara reporters are the ones posting.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Ikpaitid: 7:19am On Dec 19, 2022
So the herdsmen were hiding in the vehicle with weapons but didn't shoot at the IPOB members?
What a stupid story.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Emergingnation3(m): 7:26am On Dec 19, 2022
jumper524:
this is pure lies, it would have been a big broadcasting news and TV stations would show it but it's pure lies, we know how fake news spread in the east, that's why Sahara reporters are the ones posting.

Keep defending Fulani terrorist, your turn is coming...

Afonja Muslim pi**g !

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by jumper524(m): 7:34am On Dec 19, 2022
Emergingnation3:

Keep defending Fulani terrorist, your turn is coming...

Afonja Muslim pi**g !
you'll only keep saying this in an anonymous social media platform, foolishness and bigotry has run your blood. im not yoruba FYI.
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Naajjii: 7:37am On Dec 19, 2022
Wagwanbrethren:
Sorry, who do we even believe here?
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by Emergingnation3(m): 7:41am On Dec 19, 2022
jumper524:
you'll only keep saying this in an anonymous social media platform, foolishness and bigotry has run your blood. im not yoruba FYI.
Afonja pi**g, will always deny their skull mining region....

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by ScamHunter: 7:42am On Dec 19, 2022
Hmmm...the military is just complicating issues. From Southern Kaduna to Benue Plateau, they've been accused of aiding Fulani militants sacking of villages. Unfortunately for them, IPOB have started arming. With the number of small arms in the east, it'll be a tough call for the Fulani trying to make Igbo land another Benue Plateau or Southern Kaduna.
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by BigRocky: 7:45am On Dec 19, 2022
Corrinthians:

Eyaa. cry

This is what you could bring out from this post as a whole.

How is ur comment anyway related to this post?you see were bigotary has brought you abi

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by jumper524(m): 7:48am On Dec 19, 2022
Emergingnation3:
grow up, I won't reply yo but i can bet you aint even 21 from the level of childishness your portraying here. if indeed your above 21, then you've failed yourself in life with this high level display of junkyard attitude. I won't reply you, calling me afonja won't make you less sad, it'll only hide your pain temporarily. I'll be great full to bring you out of grievances even if it's only for a minute, you'll still go ahead calling people afonja cos the sadism in you is way beyond your comprehension. afonja Muslim are people humans too. but I ain't one of them. unlike you who forbids your own brother calling them OSU. is isn't that most shamefull? or you learnt from your oppressors who called you osu now you want to replicate to other Nigerian tribes. lol. mumu man.
a Yoruba christain should first call me afonja, then I can think there's problem not people who discriminate themselves.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by BigRocky: 7:51am On Dec 19, 2022
post=119263157:

Hmmmmmm, this is deep!

Both of you are clown.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by tamdun: 7:53am On Dec 19, 2022
The shinedus and shinwere are not going for Xmas this year,the young shall grow park at mazamaza is so dry....
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by BigRocky: 7:53am On Dec 19, 2022
jumper524:

Is the owner of Sahara reporters not a yoruba
Man?

I have a lot of Yoruba friends and they are not as stupid as you guys on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by RZArecta(m): 7:55am On Dec 19, 2022
"...The source said, "The local vigilantes demanded to search the truck but the driver resisted. The vigilantes insisted and found over 40 herdsmen in the truck, along with arms and ammunition.

"Many people gathered after the discovery but some soldiers soon arrived. They tried to clear the road for the vehicle and its occupants to continue their journey but some youths said no and blocked the road
..."

What message is the Nigerian government and security operatives trying to pass on ?
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by jumper524(m): 7:56am On Dec 19, 2022
BigRocky:

Is the owner of Sahara reporters not a yoruba
Man?

I have a lot of Yoruba friends and they are not as stupid as you guys on nairaland.
there are even hausa fueling crisis in their land cos it fills their pocket. sowore lies has nothing to do with yoruba, he's always wanted this country to disolve completely, he'll push any negative narration to sell the country.
Re: Enugu Town Deserted After Nigerian Soldiers, Others Engage IPOB/ESN Operatives I by tamdun: 7:57am On Dec 19, 2022
Emergingnation3:
Mr osu ji when are u going to alaigbo for xmas

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bala Mohammed Officially Joins G5 / Why Atiku Abubakar Is So Popular In Oyo State – Reno Omokri / Obasanjo, Peter Obi, Kukah To Meet With Southsouth Leaders Tomorrow (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.