Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Is Nigeria A Nation Of “short-cutters”? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Nation Of “short-cutters”? (837 Views)

NIGERIA: A Nation Of Fools / Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria A Nation Of “short-cutters”? by Ocean2(m): 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2007
This topic might sound somewhat controversial, so I beg you all to be objective and less emotional. How many times have we heard how resilient Nigerians are, how we can “survive” in any situation or circumstance. I look around me and all I see people taking short cuts to achieve their goal(s). There is no water in your public tap, what do you do? Drill a bore-hole of course! Roads are bad, what do you do? Buy a jeep!! No electricity? Buy a generator!! The list is endless!!! What makes the Nigerian tick? Someone made this rather coy joke; he asked what would a Nigerian do when he is faced with his back to the wall? Broke the wall and run away!!
What is it about us and impatience and wanting to take short-cuts? I was just at the British visa processing office at Oregun earlier this week. And to my amazement after undergoing my biometrics the Nigerian official manning the machine asked me to throw a five hundred naira under his table. What for I asked? He answered “so that I can inform you when you visa is out, sir”. I thought that was why I paid N27, 500!! I analysed this situation and then it occurred to me that this man was actually tickling the “Nigerian” in me. That part of me that want things to be done in a jiffy without regards to “due process”.
The floor is open to reactions and contributions……

(1) (Reply)

Why You Have To Embezzle When You Get There / Mko Abiola's Death: Fg Offers Family $650,000 Compesation / The Hands Of Esau -by Uri Avnery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.