Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks (22856 Views)

‘Form A’ Applicants To Submit Three-year Tax Clearance Certificates – Banks / FIRS Introduces Instant Tax Clearance System / CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by NEUDUDE: 10:47pm On Dec 20, 2022
Wickedfacts:

You're a dumb fool from a lineage of blockheads.
Doesn't commonsense teach you precedence in critical thinking?

I wonder what your parents were doing when others were educating their children.

Oshey! Baba critical nonsense. Get the F outta my mentions grin. Your parents should of saved us the hassle and flushed you down the toilet.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by einsteine(m): 11:08pm On Dec 20, 2022
GideonG:
Please does this apply to withdrawing dollars from your domiciliary account?

Yes
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by einsteine(m): 11:09pm On Dec 20, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

For now, I don't believe it affects dom account inflows. Just people sending out.

How would they spend the money in there without sending out?
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by einsteine(m): 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2022
SmartyPants:

Remote workers are not taxed at source.

People who earn income via platforms like YouTube, Google adsense, Amazon KDP already pay tax to the US government. 30% infact.

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by darediamond(m): 11:42pm On Dec 20, 2022
francichuks:
I think it is a good policy. U see,Truth be told,majority who criticise d CBN governor knows in d debt of their heart that it is aimed at bringing citizens to do their civic obligation or u call it responsibilitiy. For instance,if u dont have any business with Domiciliary account or transaction,wetin cincern u? It is a way of saying,to whom much is giving(those who earn in hard currencies) should also pay in proportion to d tune of what they earn(much is expected). D only reservation I have in all these,is that d economy doesn't encourage husslers,especially those who don't do fraud business. D economy is too harsh! Even hinest people are tempted 2 do wrong things,when they are frustrated,by harsh economic background. U know,in this country,Poverty is a default setting. Haba! Let start creating d enabling environment by ourselves,by voting d right people to public offices,especially in this forth coming election in 2023.
you better go and learn how to hijack back legally, all what these useless and stupidly and wickedly CORRUPT POLITHIEFCIANS OF NIGERIA have taken away from you dubiously by starting bureau de change of yours either offline or online

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Lifestone(m): 11:55pm On Dec 20, 2022
Yankee101:

Firs sent this to banks or what?
, it's emanated from them, but must have been with the consent of Emefiele. Lol

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Konquest: 12:14am On Dec 21, 2022
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by CyberWolf: 12:33am On Dec 21, 2022
What about those paying tuition fee
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Bigfish121(m): 1:31am On Dec 21, 2022
Your company is supposed to be remitting to govt which they will inturn register tin for you.

seunayantokun:
The next step to the burial of what is left of the economy.

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:33am On Dec 21, 2022
einsteine:

How would they spend the money in there without sending out?

Cash withdrawal.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by owagbeba: 3:17am On Dec 21, 2022
abbey621:

Both countries shows that taxation is not the same thing as good or bad governance....My point still stands, taxation is a mandate, what they do with such taxes is another thing. You can pay all the taxes you want and still suffer(North Korea), you can pay and enjoy (South Korea).

If you have ran a business in this country then you’d understand what multiple taxation means. 20 -35% import duty plus 7.5% VAT, 5% ETL and 7% surcharge. It’s crazy! Then you pay VAT again at FIRS and the another “agbero” tax ( over 100k) to access the road. Doesn’t it read like madness?

In SKorea you mentioned, export tax is applicable, however you can apply to get a rebate from government .
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by REALretep(m): 3:23am On Dec 21, 2022
am4truth:

So you admit that you are Olodo.
Always quick to spew trash.
Yea
Thrash like Bala Blu Blu Bulaba

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by abbey621(m): 5:17am On Dec 21, 2022
owagbeba:

If you have ran a business in this country then you’d understand what multiple taxation means. 20 -35% import duty plus 7.5% VAT, 5% ETL and 7% surcharge. It’s crazy! Then you pay VAT again at FIRS and the another “agbero” tax ( over 100k) to access the road. Doesn’t it read like madness?

In SKorea you mentioned, export tax is applicable, however you can apply to get a rebate from government .

Is Nigeria the same as S. Korea? The comment I responded to did not mention multiple taxation rather he emphasized the ills of the Nigerian environment such as kidnapping, bad roads etc.; heavy taxation does not always mean good governance, I've already used North Korea to prove that, another example is France, even with all the taxation the country still struggles with high unemployment rate and crimes.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by seunayantokun(m): 5:24am On Dec 21, 2022
Bigfish121:
Your company is supposed to be remitting to govt which they will inturn register tin for you.

I don't have problem paying tax, I think the government just needs to be honest and love the people and they will easily be able to fight crimes of all sorts. Also, getting forex shouldn't be tied to tax history. That may rather be part of what to look into when a crime is suspected to have been committed and an investigation is being carried out. I see that development as something showing they have lost touch with reality. It may help them rake in some revenue but will do more harm than good. Anybody can get forex in many countries of the world, for instance, without having to show any evidence of tax payments because there are other ways to ensure you do not evade paying your taxes.

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by bdon123(m): 5:44am On Dec 21, 2022
zolajpower:

The bank stamp that was received by him , close to 19billons or thrillions in naira where is it and what has he done with it ? This party is really an anti people I swear .
The sponsors of terrorist how many has checked there account?
U xpect emefiele to name terrorist sponsors for u? Something that ur government are not willing to as they cronies are d sponsor of terrorism in naija.See ano emefiele is incompetent in many ways,bt not in this.He has d backing of we de people.Wat he is doing affects me alot,bt i still support d new notes n reduction of cash in d economy.As i always say,if u afraid to use bank apps for ur transactions,u probably are not legit
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by NinjaXmetahuman: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2022
dalass:

They want more for their over bloated account and embezzlement before they finally leave office.

So much unremitted funds inIRS, Customs, NNPC, VAT and other funds trapped in our Banks are not paid into FGs coffers yet they want more taxes from hardworking Nigerians who hustle to eke a living
it's painful.

What is more painful is how some people support the policy like zombies when they can't point out to what government did with previous policies.

They increased vat, collect stamp duty etc, they borrow in billions of dollars. Despite all of that, common man cannot point to a basic amenity that is functioning right.

Yet they want more and these people keep supporting them.

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by ForgetfulJones: 7:47am On Dec 21, 2022
Evii:
What about payment of tuition fee for prospective students?
same Sir, that's Form A... cry

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by ZaddyJ: 8:10am On Dec 21, 2022
einsteine:

Yes
What about those recieving from loved ones abroad, who doesn't ve a job ,or like d elderly ones in our society and get the fund through world remit ?
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 21, 2022
What threshold, so those that want todo transactions below 100 dollars will still bring tax clearance for 3 years, one has to dash FIRS 150k to to tax clearance to buy items less than 50K? Hmm

Emefiele is hiding something, it seems are foreign reserves have been wiped out.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 21, 2022
Lifestone:
We are getting there gradually. Nigerians don't pay direct tax so they couldn't feel the impact. I'm sure with this, nobody will teach us to vote responsible leaders into positions, nobody will mobilize us to chase out corrupt leaders and nobody will mobilize us to expect good performance from government that have taken so much from us but has given us so little

I dont think you know the essence of paying tax, Nigerians pay taxes, they paid it indirectly or directly, via levies, fines , fees all these are taxes, even though there is no direct benefit to the payer.

The problem of Nigeria is not payment of taxes (Nigerians do pay taxes) the problem is what is done with the tax monies collected. Govt has not done anything commensurate to justify the amount of taxes paid, taxes are paid and shared to all tiers of government to be squandered by them.

I give you an example of the Onne Refinery road in Portharcourt , despite the huge revenue earned their by the FG, the roads leading to the area are not motorable, yet customs has been extorting trucks with containers for duties, they make billions on naira every month for duty, no one talks about fixing the roads, the custom officers 90% of Northern origin just come to Onne to become billionaires.

People won't be keen on paying taxes if they know the collector squanders the tax collected, period.

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 21, 2022
seunayantokun:

I don't have problem paying tax, I think the government just needs to be honest and love the people and they will easily be able to fight crimes of all sorts. Also, getting forex shouldn't be tied to tax history. That may rather be part of what to look into when a crime is suspected to have been committed and an investigation is being carried out. I see that development as something showing they have lost touch with reality. It may help them rake in some revenue but will do more harm than good. Anybody can get forex in many countries of the world, for instance, without having to show any evidence of tax payments because there are other ways to ensure you do not evade paying your taxes.

Yes, I think the govt has not been sincere in allowing local industries to grow, basic infrastructure like roads , electricity are not even available, You want to set up a factory, you spend on land, building , roads security and power generation, then the FIRS comes and starts hounding you for taxes, they refuse to recognize that you spent money providing the basics which their principal the FG failed to provide in the first place.

Fg restricts dollars for people who need it for business for even though smaller amounts but allows cronies to enjoy dollars at rates way below the official rates, these people dont invest in the local economy, they just extract income and transfer to another jurisdiction, they dont pay taxes, so FG has to get it from you and me, it is very wrong and its the reason why our balance of trade is in deficit.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by snoopz: 9:07am On Dec 21, 2022
No wonder they want to arrest Godwin baba dey seriously press their neck against the forthcoming general election
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by dalass(f): 9:52am On Dec 21, 2022
NinjaXmetahuman:
it's painful.

What is more painful is how some people support the policy like zombies when they can't point out to what government did with previous policies.

They increased vat, collect stamp duty etc, they borrow in billions of dollars. Despite all of that, common man cannot point to a basic amenity that is functioning right.

Yet they want more and these people keep supporting them.

This government is such that it has no sane person in charge of the economy like Obasanjo had.

All that Finance minister knows is to borrow until they can't borrow anymore. Most of the borrowed funds have been taken abroad to keep for themselves and their cursed future generations.

The CBN policy I hope will not require 3 year tax clearance before one can use ones paltry dorm acct balance?

All the VAT being collected no reach Dem? Wicked policies being brought by that demonic Emefiele. Thank goodness his presidential ambition failed, he's now punishing his future generations for that, not us.

This latest policy must be rejected vehemently because, all goods will only increase in prices as importers will always push such on consumers and they'll be making inflation worse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by fxexperts: 9:53am On Dec 21, 2022
snoopz:
No wonder they want to arrest Godwin baba dey seriously press their neck against the forthcoming general election
This guy na real Suffering and smiling people for this country. You really think this policy will not affect you. It may not affect you directly because you have never had dollar all your life, but I can assure you it will definitely affect you indirectly. When you can no longer buy the cheap andriod phone you are using to browse NL then your eyes will be open. Nigerians and black Africans are truly good at glorifying their slave masters.

bdon123:

U xpect emefiele to name terrorist sponsors for u? Something that ur government are not willing to as they cronies are d sponsor of terrorism in naija.See ano emefiele is incompetent in many ways,bt not in this.He has d backing of we de people.Wat he is doing affects me alot,bt i still support d new notes n reduction of cash in d economy.As i always say,if u afraid to use bank apps for ur transactions,u probably are not legit
You really do not know what is going on. by the time Emefilelefe and PMB are done with Nigerians you all will share tears of blood.

1 Like

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by makaveli902: 10:07am On Dec 21, 2022
Jozilinn:
This man eh why all this during election period, imagine since when he became cbn governor what has he done for his State and the masses...God help us in this country.

What do you want him to do for his state, is his appointment a state appointment? Or maybe am not getting you correctly...
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Jozilinn: 10:18am On Dec 21, 2022
makaveli902:

What do you want him to do for his state, is his appointment a state appointment? Or maybe am not getting you correctly...
So e money and obi Cubana have political appointments abi? Imagine emefiele running for president with just his record as cbn governor,if our rich men and women in society,are giving back to the society by uplifting people what about people given appointment in government, how much did he give to delta state during flooding... make we dey reason all this things now, wetin you no dey do before can you do it when elected....
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by makaveli902: 10:30am On Dec 21, 2022
Jozilinn:
So e money and obi Cubana have political appointments abi? Imagine emefiele running for president with just his record as cbn governor,if our rich men and women in society,are giving back to the society by uplifting people what about people given appointment in government, how much did he give to delta state during flooding... make we dey reason all this things now, wetin you no dey do before can you do it when elected....

Now I grab your point. Just know that some people don't care about others only them and their families (not even every member self, just those they feel they want to help)

It is not bad if a wealthy Man/Woman gives a little back to the society by so doing the world would be a better place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by einsteine(m): 10:32am On Dec 21, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

Cash withdrawal.

I'm pretty certain if this news is true, it would also apply to cash withdrawal.

Not to mention that banks make cash withdrawals at their own discretion. The CBN could also bring back the rule that you can only withdraw cash deposits while inflow must be transferred.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
einsteine:

I'm pretty certain if this news is true, it would also apply to cash withdrawal.

Not to mention that banks make cash withdrawals at their own discretion. The CBN could also bring back the rule that you can only withdraw cash deposits while inflow must be transferred.

Perhaps some overzealous teller might say that.

I'm just going by what's in the directive...

Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by seunayantokun(m): 12:41pm On Dec 21, 2022
quentin06:

Yes, I think the govt has not been sincere in allowing local industries to grow, basic infrastructure like roads , electricity are not even available, You want to set up a factory, you spend on land, building , roads security and power generation, then the FIRS comes and starts hounding you for taxes, they refuse to recognize that you spent money providing the basics which their principal the FG failed to provide in the first place.

Fg restricts dollars for people who need it for business for even though smaller amounts but allows cronies to enjoy dollars at rates way below the official rates, these people dont invest in the local economy, they just extract income and transfer to another jurisdiction, they dont pay taxes, so FG has to get it from you and me, it is very wrong and its the reason why our balance of trade is in deficit.
Spot on. God bless you.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Iko5000: 12:52pm On Dec 21, 2022
Agreed but it does not stop the Nigerian govt from taking Tax in fact they are copying the United states as per if you are an American citizen let say working in UK , you will pay UK and American tax.
einsteine:

People who earn income via platforms like YouTube, Google adsense, Amazon KDP already pay tax to the US government. 30% infact.
Re: Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks by Cromagnon: 3:31pm On Dec 21, 2022
Winters23:
shocked

Wahala for bloggers & YouTubers.

How dey wan take withdraw dollars now, because I sure say them no dey pay tax
no be to pay part of the dollars to irs officials. Corruption works both ways fa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NNPC Ibadan On Fire, As Workers Steal Diesel Through Pipeline. Video / Nigeria, China Bank Agree On Yuan / CBN Issues Guidelines For China-Nigeria Currency Swap Deal (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.