Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,567 members, 7,823,485 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain (32238 Views)

Multinational Companies Exit Nigeria Amid High Operating Cost / Germany Returns 22 Benin Bronze Artifacts To Nigeria / IPOB: Britain Briefs Nigeria On Nnamdi Kanu’s Travelling Documents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Ikidons(m): 10:00pm On Dec 20, 2022
For the fact that these bronze artifacts have gone across seas and back, their values and history have become even greater

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by TobiAbuja: 10:03pm On Dec 20, 2022
And what museum can we now see these artifacts at?

.... Or are they to be hidden forever from view

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Hamacon89: 10:06pm On Dec 20, 2022
Slawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

The ancient city of Benin where the King is truely king

The most feared and respected oba and kingdom in the whole of West Africa
The most advanced and organised kingdom
The Portuguese explorers marveled by the development of the Benin Empire! The thing shock them say as at the time they thought Africans were far away from civilization but how come the Binis were able to come up with the idea of linking and connecting the entire town to that ring road

Benin city for a reason....the only city well spelled on Nigeria map

Proud to be a Bini son

my bini Brother egua tuor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BigBashiru: 10:06pm On Dec 20, 2022
Napata77:
Britain, Britain, Britain!

How many times did I call you?

You said our ancestors were uncivllized, primitive savages.

We agree. Oya, return our uncivilized, primitive, and savage historical artefacts, UNA NO GREE.

You have THOUSANDS of Benin Bronzes in your possession. Only a few are displayed in your museums, the rest are hidden in underground vaults.

Are you sure it's not you, Britain, that are the real uncivilized, barbaric savages?

I mean, even shamelessly holding on to something everyone knows you stole, and proudly displaying them in your museums... is that not the very height of savagery?

But we understand why you can't let go of the artefacts.

According to your own people...

“These works from Benin are equal to the very finest examples of European casting technique,” wrote Professor Felix von Luschan, formerly of the Berlin Ethnological Museum. “Benvenuto Celini could not have cast them better, nor could anyone else before or after him. Technically, these bronzes represent the very highest possible achievement.”

Source, UK Guardian Newspaper.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

Benin Bronzes, 12th Century

Im glad this is on first page so as many ppl as possible will read it. One more thing, if they stole the arts, they also stole science and technology.. google "timbuktu manuscript" for confirmation of what africans achieved in science and technology that they tried to erase... just as they erased that of the native americans!
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by TheOgaBoss: 10:08pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
Things that Nigerians would've thrown into fires and roasted snakes on centuries ago, because colonials made them valuable, they've been acting like they were stolen from them.
who told u? There are still artefacts in present day benin and kingdom left from centuries ago. For example the very palace that housed the kings of the first Benin dynasty is still standing as at today in Benin.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by rickleye: 10:10pm On Dec 20, 2022
Now that you have them ! What are you gonna do with it ?
Are you going to invest in arts and culture and tourism ?
Or just have them locked away somewhere .

I would have them pay for the Items and use that money instead to develop projects in Benin and other areas these were stolen from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by TheOgaBoss: 10:10pm On Dec 20, 2022
TobiAbuja:
And what museum can we now see these artifacts at?

.... Or are they to be hidden forever from view
a museum is under construction in Benin.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by rickleye: 10:11pm On Dec 20, 2022
Ikidons:
For the fact that these bronze artifacts have gone across seas and back, their values and history have become even greater

And will devalue when they come back to Nigeria. How many foreigners will visit where they are kept ?
In the land of insecurity and kidnappings.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by BRATISLAVA: 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
who told u? There are still artefacts in present day benin and kingdom left from centuries ago. For example the very palace that housed the kings of the first Benin dynasty is still standing as at today in Benin.

Show us one thing that they kept and used for tourism on their own before colonials came colonizing. If they weren't taken away and preserved, like every other claim to greatness, they wouldn't exist today.

Let's see what they will do with them now that they have them. If they will return them to the palaces you've mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by thinkmoney(m): 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2022
tollyboy5:
Benin kingdom was really great. Compared to what we have now.
You can't even start to compare them my friend. It was a great kingdom, Benin empire.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by ritvin(f): 10:15pm On Dec 20, 2022
[quote author=Slawomirr post=119307736]Damnnn niggar

The Portuguese explorers marveled by the development of the Benin Empire! The thing shock them say as at the time they thought Africans were far away from civilization but how come the Binis were able to come up with the idea of linking and connecting the entire town to that ring road

Proud to be a Bini son

I hail you sir, even in Rivers State we claim to come from Benin and I believe it's true, very proud people we are.
Chai!! Benin culture sweet me die.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by TheOgaBoss: 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Show us one thing that they kept and used for tourism on their own before colonials came colonizing. If they weren't taken away and preserved, like every other claim to greatness, they wouldn't exist today.

Let's see what they will do with them now that they have them. If they will return them to the palaces you've mentioned.

u think those artefacts were created by our forefathers because of tourism? Grow up kid.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by TheOgaBoss: 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

I just gave u an example of things that still exist that are even older than those bronzes and u are talking rubbish.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Omoluabi16(m): 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2022
I can't help but wonder what happened. I keep hearing and reading of these great African kingdoms. How did we lose the ability to develop further? The Europeans have gone so far it will take another millennium to maybe catch them..

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by planetx: 10:27pm On Dec 20, 2022
No matter how much the low self esteem slaves wail and scream for their slave masters to keep it, because allegedly Nigeria can't maintain it. They will keep returning it not out of the kindness of their heart or because they have seen the errors of their ways after over a century, but because they know what is coming and woes to any nation oyinbo or not keeping the treasures of the returning ancient ones.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by christistruth01: 10:33pm On Dec 20, 2022
ezechi242:
We had the land and they had the bible...but by the time they were done they had the land and then we had the bible....

they said They brought redemption and light...but then they left with our light and left us all in to ta darkness and backwardness.

Nigerians still have both the Land and the Bible

They didn't manage to take any off us
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Panda7(m): 10:40pm On Dec 20, 2022
i remember a movie i was watching when i was little, when the white with the help of a black guard invaded a small village and it was a documentary movie and the people from the small town were living in a patched house, so at night the white invaded the town and killed the guards and everyone in the town with swords then took away the faces of their gods. the sky and the cloud turned unpleasant dark with curses, that is when they left the patches house to the bush with giant trees that looked like iroko trees and the thunderstorm from their gods struck and killed about two of the invaders and after they left the camcorder didn't show how the others left the scene somewhat but the next scene appeared that the two men who were struck dead by the angry gods appeared in the place and lands of the hades that was filled by very blacks who i think were captured in the bush or the neighboring town at night, tied and burnt on the top of two stakes to dead by the other town who were just being invaded. when they walked into the hades the women became savage with them, attacked them and almost devour them asking what brought them there with no provision before the men who had swords with them came and took them along to the road which looked like cave. i couldn't recall the next chapter that followed there.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Espelbengz(m): 10:41pm On Dec 20, 2022
BIG THIEVES!!!
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by fredoooooo: 10:43pm On Dec 20, 2022
Awon werey ...
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by everythinggirly(f): 10:46pm On Dec 20, 2022
These white people are too crafty.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by opomulero101(m): 10:52pm On Dec 20, 2022
The most feared and respected Oba wey dem ransack him kingdom despite all the human sacrifice he did to avert the british invasion,come order am to do frogjump���
quote author=Slawomirr post=119307736]Damnnn niggar

Proud to be a Bini son

[/quote]
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by observanc1: 10:58pm On Dec 20, 2022
themanderon:
And some people were abusing that Prof Uju that called out the evil queen that just died earlier this year. My people were busy wishing a figure who is partly responsible for what Nigeria is today eternal rest. We as a people are truly damaged because if only we knew what this British people did and are still doing to this country we will spit on them for all time to come.
They have never apologized nor taken responsibility for the pillaging of Nigeria and those countries they colonized yet they are still displaying the artifacts they stole from you in their museum and vaults and they turn around to call you fantastically corrupt and your President gleefully agreed with them. Nkan se wa ni ilu yi ooo.
but Nigeria is not the only country England colonised. England colonised South Africa, Kenya, Singapore, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada etc move forward, others are moving, and forget the blame game.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by 1Sharon(f): 11:18pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
Things that Nigerians would've thrown into fires and roasted snakes on centuries ago, because colonials made them valuable, they've been acting like they were stolen from them.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by 1Sharon(f): 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2022
rickleye:
Now that you have them ! What are you gonna do with it ?
Are you going to invest in arts and culture and tourism ?
Or just have them locked away somewhere .

I would have them pay for the Items and use that money instead to develop projects in Benin and other areas these were stolen from.

Leave them, their outrage is fake.

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by rickleye: 11:26pm On Dec 20, 2022
1Sharon:

Leave them, their outrage is fake.

Exactly S.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 11:26pm On Dec 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Such a display of historical illiteracy and stark ignorance.

The Benin Bronzes were looted from the PALACE OF THE OBA OF BENIN IN 1897. AMONG THE TREASURES ARE ARTEFACTS DATED TO THE 11TH CENTURY, IE 800 YEARS EARLIER.

So, the Palace of the Oba of Benin is not a place that throws its ancient treasures ''into fires to roast snakes'' or whatever ignorant garbage you typed.

2 Likes

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by rickleye: 11:28pm On Dec 20, 2022
observanc1:
but Nigeria is not the only country England colonised. England colonised South Africa, Kenya, Singapore, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada etc move forward, others are moving, and forget the blame game.

You forgot India - That even has nuclear weapon. We should stop already the blame game . 9ja is a 62 old man
Canada still has the queen on the currency. Nigeria doesnt yet the white man (boogeyman) is still very much still haunting us

1 Like

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 20, 2022
In Nigeria, we are scared of artefacts, figurines but the white man will come, enter the shrine, carry those things and nothing will happen to them....
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by MeineMutter: 11:29pm On Dec 20, 2022
After dem don make billions of Euros from it. Are we sure say na original bronzes dem return? Make e no go be China o.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by rickleye: 11:30pm On Dec 20, 2022
Omoluabi16:
I can't help but wonder what happened. I keep hearing and reading of these great African kingdoms. How did we lose the ability to develop further? The Europeans have gone so far it will take another millennium to maybe catch them..

Their excuse would be brain drain ! I tire o. We found Oil and lost all sense of what made us successful. Just Terrible bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by Napata77: 11:31pm On Dec 20, 2022
Ifakiland:
Stupid post, your headline says 1000 bronze, den main article says 21....wack blogger

Read the full article, you lazy bum.
Re: Germany Returns 1,000 Benin Bronzes To Nigeria Amid Frustrstion At Britain by MeineMutter: 11:31pm On Dec 20, 2022
AbuAeesha:
I don't just trust these pple, hope it is not the counterfeits that they returned and withheld the prototypes undecidedI don't just trust these pple, hope it is not the counterfeits that they returned and withheld the prototypes

Exactly, my thought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ambode Speaks On N9.9bn Lagos Government Account / Tinubu, Oshiomhole, Dangote, Ayiri Emami Attend SGF Son's Wedding In Abuja / 'Atiku’s Harassment' : Shehu Sani Tells FG What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.