Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section (6881 Views)

Data Structure And Algorithm With Php / Is It Possible To Learn Algorithm And Data Structures? / Nigerian Developers How Did You Master Algorithm And Problem Solving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by KrazyDave16(m): 1:00am On Dec 24, 2022
Book recommendation
Mostly pseudocode (implement in any lang you comfy with)

https://mega.nz/file/0ldUlCyQ
key: rjpHFIhD7IlPQNGx-HxeyWkgL2oFKhNqPRyMMHwPPkk

1 Share

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by semmyk(m): 8:57am On Dec 24, 2022
The OP posted Python. However, as indicated, any Lang would do. However, ... Ensure your code include meaningful comments
Why, because that's the bane of many
Also, as indicated by others, would be great (for learning) to have solution on testable code sites. #Reproducibility #Learning
namikaze:
no any language should do, just share a link to any online code editor so it's testable.
Sleekcode:
Must this be in python?
angry
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by Tobedated(m): 12:40am On Dec 25, 2022
Well if someone is studying JavaScript and want to learn dsa he should check out codevolution on YouTube the guy is amazing teaches you all the basics you'll need

If you want to prepare for interview

Then I'll recommend Blind75 it's the holy grail of leetcode you'll find it and solutions at neetcode YouTube channel or neetcode.io

That's my own 5cent I have to offer good luck to all of us

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 6:43am On Dec 25, 2022
+1 for neetcode
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by Hamzasaid(m): 1:51pm On Dec 25, 2022
Tobedated:
Well if someone is studying JavaScript and want to learn dsa he should check out codevolution on YouTube the guy is amazing teaches you all the basics you'll need

If you want to prepare for interview

Then I'll recommend Blind75 it's the holy grail of leetcode you'll find it and solutions at neetcode YouTube channel or neetcode.io

That's my own 5cent I have to offer good luck to all of us

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1A2PaQKcdwO_lwxz9bAnxXnIQayCouZP6d-ENrBz_NXc/htmlview
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2022
let's all try this:

You are given a stream of numbers. Compute the median for
each new element .
Eg. Given [2, 1, 4, 7, 2, 0, 5], the algorithm should output [2, 1.5,
2, 3.0, 2, 2, 2]
Here's a starting point:

def running_median(stream):
# Fill this in.
running_median([2, 1, 4, 7, 2, 0, 5])
# 2 1.5 2 3.0 2 2.0 2

remember, your solution could be in any language and should be from an online code editor like replit/onecompiler.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 7:26pm On Dec 25, 2022
my solution, Go: https://replit.com:/@usmansadik96/Go?s=app
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by Deicide: 9:01pm On Dec 26, 2022
Technically int, bool, long, float, string are all Data Structure. What most people refer to as Data structure are actually Abstract Data Type (ADT). ADT are also data structure.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 9:26pm On Dec 26, 2022
I don't think so, what you listed are basic data types, data structures on the other hand are a composition of these types and it's accompanying structure/rule, such as a node, a composition of an int | string | float e.t.c and a pointer.
Abstract data structures are abstract, which means the underlying implementation can differ, a stack, an ADT, can have both array and linkedlists or even queue implementations, an array however is concrete and structurally fixed.
That said, apart from array and linked lists, which both implement the list ADT, most other data structures are actually ADTs.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by Sleekcode: 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
just open mount wahhh dey vomit rubbish.
grin
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by Sulele04(m): 4:46pm On Dec 27, 2022
Hello Qtguru, please if you have any spare laptop please consider me.

My laptop has packed up, and I will be resuming second semester where we will do python coding.

Thanks.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by AdetayoS(m): 8:38pm On Dec 27, 2022
Good evening Qtguru, this is completely unrelated. I read your diary and saw your post on giving out some stuffs. I am particularly Interested in the laptop, being trying to safe to get one but things keep coming up depleting my account and price keep going up. incase you can't find the owners, please remember me in your kingdom. I don't mind sending what I have. Thanks
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by qtguru(m): 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
AdetayoS:
Good evening Qtguru, this is completely unrelated. I read your diary and saw your post on giving out some stuffs. I am particularly Interested in the laptop, being trying to safe to get one but things keep coming up depleting my account and price keep going up. incase you can't find the owners, please remember me in your kingdom. I don't mind sending what I have. Thanks

Stop derailing this thread

2 Likes

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by qtguru(m): 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
Sulele04:
Hello Qtguru, please if you have any spare laptop please consider me.

My laptop has packed up, and I will be resuming second semester where we will do python coding.

Thanks.

Don't derail this thread

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by tollyboy5(m): 9:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
grin I no get any ego to show here. I'm still struggling with understanding design patterns.

I understand design patterns are how code are structured to solve problems good.

Qtguru when does algorithm comes in.

2 Likes

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by qtguru(m): 9:16pm On Dec 27, 2022
tollyboy5:
grin I no get any ego to show here. I'm still struggling with understanding design patterns.

I understand design patterns are how code are structured to solve problems good.

Qtguru when does algorithm comes in.

In my experience it's when performance is key, a function that takes 5 secs to go through all items in array might prob take more time, when going through 1 million items, so Algo and DS comes in that context, so u can know your order of growth and best algo to run at optimal time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 12:25pm On Dec 28, 2022
qtguru:

In my experience it's when performance is key, a function that takes 5 secs to go through all items in array might prob take more time, when going through 1 million items, so Algo and DS comes in that context, so u can know your order of growth and best algo to run at optimal time.

True, one time I had to optimised a poorly implemented delete endpoint, the bottleneck was simply the way the previous dev handled the array and database calls, average response time lowered from 10s to 1s.

1 Like

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by truthCoder2: 1:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
namikaze:

True, one time I had to optimised a poorly implemented delete endpoint, the bottleneck was simply the way the previous dev handled the array and database calls, average response time lowered from 10s to 1s.

10 seconds?

Many servers would have timed out by then.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
truthCoder2:

10 seconds?
Many servers would have timed out by then.
yeah but that was before production. That was from my hng internship.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
found this interesting problem;

Given a sorted list of numbers, return a list of strings that
represent all of the consecutive numbers.
Example:
Input: [0, 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11, 15]
Output: ['0->2', '5->5', '7->11', '15->15']
Assume that all numbers will be greater than or equal to 0, and
each element can repeat.

let's see what you guys come up with
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by truthCoder2: 3:02pm On Dec 28, 2022
namikaze:
found this interesting problem;

Given a sorted list of numbers, return a list of strings that
represent all of the consecutive numbers.
Example:
Input: [0, 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11, 15]
Output: ['0->2', '5->5', '7->11', '15->15']
Assume that all numbers will be greater than or equal to 0, and
each element can repeat.

let's see what you guys come up with

JavaScript
function consecutiveNumbers(numbers) {
const ranges = [];

let start = numbers[0];
let end = numbers[0];

for (let i = 1; i < numbers.length; i++) {
if (numbers[i] === end + 1) {

end = numbers[i];
} else {

ranges.push(start === end ? start.toString() : `${start}->${end}`);

start = numbers[i];
end = numbers[i];
}
}

ranges.push(start === end ? start.toString() : `${start}->${end}`);

return ranges;
}

1 Like

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 3:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
truthCoder2:

looks good,
Ideally you should use some kind of online editor so it's easier to test against different test cases.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 3:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by tosinhtml: 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2023
How far Qtguru, just seeing yout post on: How would I survive in the future in this industry ?? How do I re-align my professional career that makes me attractive in the future ?

For me, there are so many methods to surviving and no one way is best.

- Becoming a well rounded CTO / Co-founder is one way to escape the hustle and bustle of tech industry in the long run.

- One way is by working for a top 5 companies with huge profits like Apple, Google & Microsoft, then grow gradually in ranks as Engineering Manager for 10 - 30 years. Apple is very stable, therefore you are in safe hands.

- A common thing is Devs moving to Staff Engineers at a medium-size tech company and stay for 5 - 15 years, which they could still get fired like Twitter employees anytime investor cuts funding. Chris Banes for example is a top Engineer at Google for 9 years who left his comfort zone to Twitter & now fired, he is now back to the job market hustling again.

- Another cool thing is moving from Dev to Product Management with the wealth of experience to a medium-size company and forget about the stress of development for life.

1 Like

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by qtguru(m): 6:03pm On Jan 04, 2023
tosinhtml:
How far Qtguru, just seeing yout post on: How would I survive in the future in this industry ?? How do I re-align my professional career that makes me attractive in the future ?

For me, there are so many methods to surviving and no one way is best.

- Becoming a well rounded CTO / Co-founder is one way to escape the hustle and bustle of tech industry in the long run.

- One way is by working for a top 5 companies with huge profits like Apple, Google & Microsoft, then grow gradually in ranks as Engineering Manager for 10 - 30 years. Apple is very stable, therefore you are in safe hands.

- A common thing is Devs moving to Staff Engineers at a medium-size tech company and stay for 5 - 15 years, which they could still get fired like Twitter employees anytime investor cuts funding. Chris Banes for example is a top Engineer at Google for 9 years who left his comfort zone to Twitter & now fired, he is now back to the job market hustling again.

- Another cool thing is moving from Dev to Product Management with the wealth of experience to a medium-size company and forget about the stress of development for life.

I like the Product Management path. Thanks I fit still do co-founder for background.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by tosinhtml: 6:21pm On Jan 04, 2023
qtguru:

I like the Product Management path. Thanks I fit still do co-founder for background.

Same here, Product feels like soft landing and if you already have design and core engineering background, then you'd be better than most product managers out there.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by genius2b(m): 7:45pm On Jan 04, 2023
qtguru:
Thanks to someone pained, it's not a bad idea to have a section where anyone can discuss Algo and DSA

1. There should be no egos here TastyFriedPussy aka sqlPain
2. Recommendation of Algo book
3. Encourage Study groups among people
4. Encourage implementation of Algo in a different language or performance tricks
Good evening. Please where can one get the ebooks on data structures and algorithms. Please.
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by MadarasBlade(m): 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2023
KrazyDave16:
Book recommendation
Mostly pseudocode (implement in any lang you comfy with)

https://mega.nz/file/0ldUlCyQ
key: rjpHFIhD7IlPQNGx-HxeyWkgL2oFKhNqPRyMMHwPPkk

Please don't waste your time reading this book, unless you know how to read and write maths proofs. It isn't for everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by namikaze: 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2023
MadarasBlade:

Please don't waste your time reading this book, unless you know how to read and write maths proofs. It isn't for everyone.
Agree, it's too theoretical
Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by MadarasBlade(m): 5:49pm On Jan 05, 2023
namikaze:

Agree, it's too theoretical

Every book has a target audience, it was written for phd students from maths background.

4 Likes

Re: Algorithm And Data Structure Study Section by LikeAking: 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2023
You won't find @greatigboman contributing to stuffs like this..

Wish u guys d best...

I can't solve any algo question wey no make sense.

Calculate the length n breath of a mosquito.

Lolz.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bash/shell Scripting In A Unix/linux Environment / How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed / MTN Momo Hack: The Dangerous Aspect Of Programming No One Tells You About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.