Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,742 members, 7,862,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:33 PM

The Use Of Yoga For Self-actualization And Connection - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Use Of Yoga For Self-actualization And Connection (206 Views)

Bala Mohammed Authorises The Use Of Chloroquine For Treatment Of Coronavirus / Guidance On The Use Of Face Masks In Nigeria By NCDC / Coronavirus: Guidance For Self-isolation In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Use Of Yoga For Self-actualization And Connection by trexova: 1:55pm On Dec 24, 2022
You learn something about getting past yourself by breathing through poses that you don't want to breathe through, both on and off the mat. beyond your ego. I have been a practitioner of yoga for about thirteen years, and I have been an instructor for about five years.

Yoga encourages us to carefully link breathing and movement. Our habits then show themselves in the asana (physical poses), and these habits frequently reflect our actions off the mat. Sometimes it is not possible to do it on my own, look out for an [url="https://www.trexova.com/online-yoga"] online yoga class [/url][/b]and follow the practices with professionals.

When the instructor calls out the one pose, for instance, that always makes us cringe, our gaze darts and our thoughts go. If you are looking for professional training, search for a [b][url="https://www.trexova.com/2/yoga-teacher"] yoga teacher near me [/url]

We either try to wipe off our immaculately clean mats for the zillionth time or we stare at our neighbor's new pink top, even though this shade of pink is a little too hot for our taste.

My Yoga Connection

Why do we go to such extremes to avoid that dreaded pose?

The pose is difficult for a purpose, yet before we can even connect with (or disconnect from) this experience, we become aware of our breathing.

Are we noticing that the breath modifies how we approach this pose? Or do we perform unpleasant and enjoyable poses while holding a latent breath? Do we have access to the 18 dollars per session, in-person experience of the yoga class?

Or, do we "do" yoga the same way we wash our dishes or do our laundry? (This isn't to say that doing the laundry or other domestic duties isn't meditative. We all care a little bit about smelling good, let's face it.)

We are among the most intelligent animals in the world as humans. But we fight against the strange.

The pop pink girl (or our impression of the practitioner as simply a "pink" girlie, which is followed by associations of pink to x, y, and/or z) parking her mat in our allocated but not yet designated yoga place triggers us much like that.

When hot pink parks next to us, what do we do? What's more, how do we respond when we leave our mats and park in actual parking lots?
What happens if someone pulls in front of us and grabs the remaining parking space?

We may roll down the window and let out a few too many f-bombs, but we have the option of reacting or not.

How do we convey our reactions if we do? How do our responses relate to the urge to initially flip a magic finger? As yogis, we would never consider flipping the bird or using coarse language like the f-bomb.

I'm not trying to be funny with this. I'm simply being honest in non-yogi lingo. The yogi is depicted in popular culture as having calmness, sturdiness, and mind-body awareness. Yogis eat from the ground and gather fruit from trees. He or she acts naturally (le). The situation can be different for yogis who are more snobby.

They feed their bodies with goodies but not any kind of goodies because they are "normal" people. Yes, sir! The label "organic" is emblazoned on a billion brands, and their truffles are $6 a piece. This ironically reinforces cultural notions of what is "approved" and, thus, right.

Let's be sincere. We can breathe in any form of yoga we choose, eat some good ol' Hershey's, or indulge in some chichi omega truffles, but none of us experience enlightenment and tingling every time we attend a yoga class.

If I were to argue that there is even a "correct" way to do yoga (which I most certainly do not hear), I would contend that yoga is all about relating to our feelings as they arise.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but as people, we don't always feel upbeat and optimistic.

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Sleeping Without Pillow / Prostate / Ways To Slow Down Hair Greying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.