Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,959 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 (8248 Views)

NAICOM Increases Third-party Vehicle Insurance From N5000 To N15,000 / NAICOM Set To Announce New Price For 3rd Party Motor Insurance / 5 Benefits Of Third Party Motor Insurance You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by lwisee: 7:48pm On Dec 24, 2022
Nigeria’s insurance regulator, the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), has raised third-party insurance coverage for motorists from N5,000 to N15,000 yearly.

According to a circular addressed to insurance companies, as seen by Nairametrics, the new policy becomes effective from January 2023

Third-Party Property Damage: Part of the circular which was signed by NAICOM’s Director of Policy and Regulation, Mr Leo Akah, said:

“Pursuant to the exercise of its function of approving rates of insurance premium under Section 7 of NAICOM Act 1997 and other extant laws, the Commission hereby issues this circular on the new motor insurance premium rates effective from Jan. 1, 2023.”

The circular added that for any third-party property damage (TPPD), the limit of claims an insured can enjoy on a policy for the private vehicle will now be N3 million for the new premium of N15,000. In the same vein, the limit for own goods would be N5 million, with a new premium of N20,000.

The commission added that the Insurance premium rate payable on staff buses is now N20,000 and its TPPD would be N3 million.

Other commercial vehicles: Similarly, commercial vehicles, trucks and general cartage now have a TPPD limit of N5 million with an N100,000 premium rate while ‘special types’ now have a TPPD limit of N3 million and a premium of N20,000.

For Tricycles, the TPPD limit is now N2 million with a premium of N5000 while motorcycles now have a TPPD limit of N1 million and a premium of N3000.
The commission also noted that the Comprehensive insurance policy premium rate shall not be less than 5 per cent of the sum insured after all rebates or discounts.
https://nairametrics.com/2022/12/24/naicom-increases-third-party-motor-insurance-by-200-to-n15000/

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by lwisee: 7:51pm On Dec 24, 2022
Who did we offend

28 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by PHIPEX(m): 7:55pm On Dec 24, 2022
This is ridiculous, third part insurance that's a free money to the insurance companies. Am yet to see anyone that made a claim on 3rd party insurance.

Many of these insurance companies are surviving because of this free money, they can't justify this increase.

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Tolumiide: 8:48pm On Dec 24, 2022
Things are getting out of hand

3 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by unite4real: 8:51pm On Dec 24, 2022
If you have loose change, go and buy insurance shares now unless the increase is upturned.
Make a choice not to lament if you cannot change the situation. Seek how to benefit from this information

12 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by kettykin: 9:03pm On Dec 24, 2022
Why this for God's sake, what are they using this money for

8 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by kettykin: 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2022
unite4real:
If you have loose change, go and buy insurance shares now unless the increase is upturned.
Make a choice not to lament if you cannot change the situation. Seek how to benefit from this information
Is buying shares on the eve of a very controversial election advisable election that Will be contested by hardened kleptomaniacs for that matter

5 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by 9gerian: 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2022
No they can’t.

PHIPEX:
This is ridiculous, third part insurance that's a free money to the insurance companies. Am yet to see anyone that made a claim on 3rd party insurance.

Many of these insurance companies are surviving because of this free money, they can't justify this increase.

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by MansoryMX(m): 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2022
Everyone is doing anything they like since we don't have a working system of government. It's well

20 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by hedonido: 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2022
unite4real:

Don't be funny. They certainly wouldn't pay higher dividends to shareholders because the so-called premium got tripled. The increment is to be enjoyed by the owners, managers, industry influence peddlers, and regulators.

19 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by lwisee: 10:51pm On Dec 24, 2022
Is there a way we can reject this, the N5000 we've been paying before is like a free money, nobody goes back to claim it even if you him someone's car.
We don't have a working system
We got no one to run too

Can we take them to court?

Falana that I thought is on the side of the masses doesn't care anymore.

Not pleased with this news.

Comrades brace up, 2023 might come with tougher challenges and our government isn't helping matters.

7 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Omooba77: 11:10pm On Dec 24, 2022
lwisee:
Nigeria’s insurance regulator, the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), has raised third-party insurance coverage for motorists from N5,000 to N15,000 yearly.

According to a circular addressed to insurance companies, as seen by Nairametrics, the new policy becomes effective from January 2023

Third-Party Property Damage: Part of the circular which was signed by NAICOM’s Director of Policy and Regulation, Mr Leo Akah, said:

“Pursuant to the exercise of its function of approving rates of insurance premium under Section 7 of NAICOM Act 1997 and other extant laws, the Commission hereby issues this circular on the new motor insurance premium rates effective from Jan. 1, 2023.”
The circular added that for any third-party property damage (TPPD), the limit of claims an insured can enjoy on a policy for the private vehicle will now be N3 million for the new premium of N15,000. In the same vein, the limit for own goods would be N5 million, with a new premium of N20,000.

The commission added that the Insurance premium rate payable on staff buses is now N20,000 and its TPPD would be N3 million.

Other commercial vehicles: Similarly, commercial vehicles, trucks and general cartage now have a TPPD limit of N5 million with an N100,000 premium rate while ‘special types’ now have a TPPD limit of N3 million and a premium of N20,000.

For Tricycles, the TPPD limit is now N2 million with a premium of N5000 while motorcycles now have a TPPD limit of N1 million and a premium of N3000.
The commission also noted that the Comprehensive insurance policy premium rate shall not be less than 5 per cent of the sum insured after all rebates or discounts.

https://nairametrics.com/2022/12/24/naicom-increases-third-party-motor-insurance-by-200-to-n15000/

Buhari's legacy of hardship continues, how do one justify the astronomical increase, so to renew your vehicle documents will be more than minimum wage........

16 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Omooba77: 11:11pm On Dec 24, 2022
lwisee:
Is there a way we can reject this, the N5000 we've been paying before is like a free money, nobody goes back to claim it even if you him someone's car.
We got no one to run too

Comrades brace up, 2023 might come with tougher challenges and our government isn't helping matters.
Vote rightly......

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by iHateFraudsters: 3:03am On Dec 25, 2022
What's the point of all these insurances?

When someone hits my car, I'll be the one to fix it.

Abi the word "insurance" get another meaning for Nigeria?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Caseless: 3:19am On Dec 25, 2022
iHateFraudsters:

it's one sector our system hasn't allowed to work.

3 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Nobody: 3:20am On Dec 25, 2022
iHateFraudsters:

My friend wanted to insure his business

Den I met him with the insurance staff, the woman was saying there's 5yr plan, and this is the amount you get paid for damages etc

Den I asked, what happens after 5yrs,if within the 5yrs nothing happens to the business, what den is going to happen to the money he has been paying?

Her reply was *it is gone* like he pays monthly (according to her) if something happens within the 5yr period, he gets money running into millions to start again, but if 5yrs elapse without any damage,den he will forget the money... I shock o

I con think say na scam

5 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Jarchi(m): 3:28am On Dec 25, 2022
Everybody just dey play, Government just dey sing "as he dey pain them he dey sweet us, as he dey sweet us he dey pain them."
Be like Na bicycle sure pass, I need to lose some weight

2 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Jarchi(m): 3:35am On Dec 25, 2022
Nwatachoba1:

My friend wanted to insure his business

Den I met him with the insurance staff, the woman was saying there's 5yr plan, and this is the amount you get paid for damages etc

Den I asked, what happens after 5yrs,if within the 5yrs nothing happens to the business, what den is going to happen to the money he has been paying?

Her reply was *it is gone* like he pays monthly (according to her) if something happens within the 5yr period, he gets money running into millions to start again, but if 5yrs elapse without any damage,den he will forget the money... I shock o

I con think say na scam

Where insurance wan see the millions dem go pay am?
Bad no go happen to us no be the prayer of person whey dey pay insurance money.

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by ppogba: 3:36am On Dec 25, 2022
Even at N5000 sef, na "police let me pass" plenty people dey carry waka.

The only implication of this is that, POLICE go chop more.

Instead of asking where is your driver's licence, they will now rather ask, let me see your Insurance.

2 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Nobody: 3:37am On Dec 25, 2022
Jarchi:

Where insurance wan see the millions dem go pay am?
Bad no go happen to us no be the prayer of person whey dey pay insurance money.

My brother, nobody prays for bad thing

But we need a real government who will hold everyone accountable... why the insurance when you ain't insured? I think it's high time everyone boycott them

2 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by smile11s(m): 3:39am On Dec 25, 2022
chai. so is this insurance by force during car registration?

The Moment A Tussle Happened Between Agege Residents, Portable And Small Doctor. �
https://gist.am/q/the-moment-a-tussle-happened-between-agege-residents-portable-and-small-doctor
Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by ppogba: 3:41am On Dec 25, 2022
hedonido:

Don't be funny. They certainly wouldn't pay higher dividends to shareholders because the so-called premium got tripled. The increment is to be enjoyed by the owners, managers, industry influence peddlers, and regulators.

very correct.

Insurance shares of all shares on the capital market?

2 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by obstead200(m): 3:53am On Dec 25, 2022
PHIPEX:

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by obstead200(m): 3:56am On Dec 25, 2022
hedonido:

exactly.
It is naive to believe the increment will lead to higher dividends.

For what it is worth, how many insurance companies even bother to pay dividends?

4 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Montaque(m): 3:57am On Dec 25, 2022
The directive on the effective date is not clear. Is it that every vehicle must comply by 1st January 2023 or that Insurance Policies obtained from 1st January 2023 must have the stipulated cover amount? Because I just renewed my cover (under the old regime) this December. I don't need any Police to disturb me in January 2023
Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by obstead200(m): 3:59am On Dec 25, 2022
lwisee:

We got no one to run too

At the bolded.......even if u attempt claiming it, they will always find a loophole not to give u a penny. The policy was originally designed to swindle the public.

Insurance companies only pay claims on comprehensive insurance.

2 Likes

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by techWriter3: 4:14am On Dec 25, 2022
Who knew we disturb

You know, Check my profile if you need help with your statement of purpose, personal statement, assignment, dissertation, or thesis.
Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by zolajpower: 4:20am On Dec 25, 2022
undecided sheer wickedness
Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by Carparts888(m): 4:23am On Dec 25, 2022
This country called Nigeria is designed to frustrate someone

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by nedekid: 4:37am On Dec 25, 2022
unite4real:
Buy shares in Nigeria with the current inflation rate? Funny man.

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by eazzzy1(m): 4:41am On Dec 25, 2022
With higher premiums, insurance companies will earn more and then pay more taxes, the taxes from these companies would be used to subsidize the cost of public transport for the poor.

It may be inconvenient but these premiums and taxes are very necessary, we say we want a working society, these minor inconveniences are the prices we have to pay to achieve one.

I would like to see increased taxes and duties on importation of luxury goods, increase taxes for car owners, home owners, high income earners etc. we must take from the rich for benefit of the poor. We can’t continue to depend on oil revenues if we must progress as a country.

1 Like

Re: NAICOM Increases Third Party Motor Insurance By 200% To ₦‎15,000 by mfm04622: 4:51am On Dec 25, 2022
lol!!!!

You have enough money to buy a car, yet, you are complaining of insuring the car for 1,250 per month?

1,250 per month is your problem?

You are not ready to drive a car yet!

Before you claim Nigeria is not working, better ask the cost of insurance in "Saner climes"!

The 3rd party insurance is free money? Who asked you not to make a claim?

Go and find out when we started paying 5,000.00 for 3rd party insurance! Over 20 years! and you expect it to remain the same?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NADDC Engages BMW, Ford, VW, Nissan & Others Towards Local Production In Nigeria / Igbinedion University To Manufacture Electric Vehicles – VC / GTB Loan Kindly Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.