Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Celebrating The Christ In Christmas - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Celebrating The Christ In Christmas (3787 Views)

Photos: christians perform drama depicting the crucifixion of Christ in Nigeria / Bishop Obinim Destroys Images Of Jesus Christ In His Church, Replaces With His / Police Storm Celestial Church Of Christ In New York As Members Fight (Pics, Vide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Racoon(m): 2:32am On Dec 25, 2022
jingle bells, jingle bells jingle all the way….. I can vividly remember few christmas back in my home town Owerri-Nigeria as the song is being sang all over the place: TV, radio, church etc. The christmas aroma fills the air as the harmattan also joins in the aura of excitement.

In Nigeria, christmas is the MAJOR celebration for the year, as young girls go to the saloon to get their hair fixed. Tales of “attachment” fills the air as every girl wants to look different with a new hair style after months of braided hair which happens to be the requirement for most secondary schools in Nigeria. 

Christmas clothes, decoration, shoes, food stuffs and the exquisite christmas chicken is something i will never forget. In the eastern part of Nigeria, the best part of christmas is the home travel as every family goes to their villages to celebrate the holiday with their families in the village. Uncles, aunts and even grandparents all unite in the village for this “Glorious” gathering.

Well, over here in the states where there are so many holiday events. christmas should probably be among them though i don’t really know how its celebrated here as this would be my first christmas here since my arrival earlier this year. Holidays celebrations such as : Veterans days, Halloween, Thanksgiving day, Martin Luther kings day and so on are few celebration which are celebrated in America than other countries worldwide.

So my question today is, what is christmas?? is it just like any other holiday that people celebrate or is there something more; something more significant. Well, to different people it means different things. Some may see it as a “normal” holiday celebration or a day where we go to our villages during the harmattan season & unite with family and friends then eat lavishly on 25th. What is christmas to you??

Well from the Christian point of view it means – The celebration of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. Contrary to popular beliefs, christmas is not just a period where we expect “gifts” from Santa clause and share gifts among loved ones

. Its deep…really deep. Its an acknowledgment of love not just an expression of love. Get it? Its a time Christians gather together in acknowledgement of what God has done for us by sending His ONLY son to earth to die the death of a thief on our behalf. In this process of acknowledgement and celebration, we tend to rejoice and celebrate with our family and friends too.

We all love God, We all are grateful, We all appreciate His precious precious precious precious gift to mankind. That’s the christmas I know, that’s the christmas i celebrate, That’s the christmas I will always celebrate.

I quit celebrating Christ in a false way that the world celebrates. I quit putting Christ aside and Santa in front. I quit making kids believe christmas is all about Santa Clause, toys, candies & snow fall. Christmas is for all, Christmas is for me, Christmas is for you Christmas is for everybody.

Jesus birth was the beginning of my freedom from death, sin and hell. His death finalized it all. Jesus is indeed the reason for the glorious season. Jesus is the reason am alive, He is the reason i can even write this. Jesus is the son God.. He is everlasting and everlasting till everlasting.

Am surely NOT taking my Christ out of my Christmas instead i will invite others to celebrate my Christ in christmas. This is the day the Lord has made, i will surely rejoice and be glad in it. Yes, the snow will fall, the songs will play, even the chicken will be eaten but my Christ will remain. He will forever be the reason for this beloved season. JESUS is the reason for the celebration. Jesus is the reason for this beautiful SEASON.

Have fun, enjoy with your loved ones this festive christmas but always remember the reason for the season Christ. Merry christmas & a prosperous new year celebration.God bless you all

12 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Racoon(m): 2:34am On Dec 25, 2022
Indeed the birth of Jesus Christ was really foretold. Merry Christmas all.May the blessings of the season continue to abound.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by dazzlingd(m): 2:47am On Dec 25, 2022
Christ, Krishna, Zeus, Zeusus Krishna..

Holiday is holiday and it comes to the end of year.
Nobody cares about fable stories of jesus. We only celebrate to enjoy the moment

2 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by smile11s(m): 3:53am On Dec 25, 2022
Have a blessed Kwanzaa and Wishing you a bright and meaningful Kwanzaa.
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by meobizy(f): 3:54am On Dec 25, 2022
Things which don’t make sense;

Christmas stemmed from a pagan ritual, was adopted into Christianity, Christianity was forced on Africans and yet we — who are exposed enough to know what to abide or discard — still celebrate the tradition. Make it make sense.

Nairalanders are mostly Christian, their saviour was a Jew, he was killed by Jews yet majority of posters here hate Jews. Naija na comedy? Make it make sense.

5 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Yankiss(m): 3:55am On Dec 25, 2022
Let us remember the reason for the season. The birth of Christ. He is the celebrant, not you and me. What have you bought for Christ? If you have given your neighbour who could not afford, you have given to Christ.

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by tsephanyah(f): 3:55am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas

White, jews, and Arabs are really doing strong things to Africans.

What happens to the sun on 25th December?
The Winter Solstice, or the December Solstice, is the point at which the path of the sun in the sky is farthest south. At the Winter Solstice, the sun travels the shortest path through the sky resulting in the day of the year with the least sunlight and therefore, the longest night.

Sun Worship
One of the requirements in sun worship is a need for three gods, father, mother and child. The child becomes the reincarnation of the father. Nimrod, Tammuz and Semiramis was one of the oldest trinity, the three-in-one Sungod. And we know that the bible states that the earlier Jews were worshiping Tammuz.

https://discover.hubpages.com/religion-philosophy/Falsereligion

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Faber(m): 3:55am On Dec 25, 2022
Christmas makes no sense to me cos its not recorded anywhere in the world, even in the bible that Bros J. birthday is 25th Dec. So if you squander the money meant for you to hold yourself for rainy days of 2023 today in the name of a modafvcking Greco-Roman-European Festival, na you sabi? I go laff you to stupor when you post your account number here by next year say sapa want kill you.

4 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Greatzeus(m): 3:57am On Dec 25, 2022
Racoon:
Indeed the birth of Jesus Christ was really foretold. Merry Christmas all.May the blessings of the season continue to abound.
Coming from a Nairaland political warlord and tribalist,who spends his time on Nairaland to promote division, hypocrite just like most in Nigeria's religious circle,whose worship are only facial outward and shallow. But God is not a man,you can deceive yourself and the Mod but you can't deceive God.
Before you quote me,check my profile and see if I'm one of you lowlifes whose peak of achievement everyday comes from your political tantrums and hatred and bitterness towards people of different tribes or political affiliations.
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by socialmediaman: 3:58am On Dec 25, 2022
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by ghiloman28(m): 3:58am On Dec 25, 2022
H
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by bjt(m): 4:03am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas to you all

3 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by opalu: 4:10am On Dec 25, 2022
For those Christians who argue every year about Christmas if 25th December is correct name etc. They are still ignorant of the Law of LIBERTY in Christ Jesus.

THE LAW OF LIBERTY IN CHRIST
Romans 14:4-10

[4]Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
[5]One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
[6]He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
[7]For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
[8]For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.
[9]For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
[10]But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by opalu: 4:10am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas to all my Nairaland neighbours. We all will live long to see several Christmas days to come in Jesus name
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by ekukeku(m): 4:11am On Dec 25, 2022
Low-key Christmas
Adupe emi
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobicove(m): 4:16am On Dec 25, 2022
I hope that soon we would also start celebrating traditional African religions! grin
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by israelmao(m): 4:21am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas.Next Christmas will be celebrated with Obi as Nigerian President by God's grace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by opalu: 4:30am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas to all those Christians killed 1 week to Christmas in Kaduna state. May their Killers' blood be shed in Jesus name. May their families never know any joy again.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/12/20/death-toll-rises-to-39-in-kaduna-fresh-attacks/amp/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Falseprofet2: 4:37am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas nlanders and to all who celebrate
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by JooEeL(m): 4:38am On Dec 25, 2022
If you are a christian, just know that ur docility in this zoo called zoogeria will lead to ur eventual cleanup in centuries to come. This is an orchestrated plan by the gulf countries to capture the whole of africa.

If u doubt, go and check for christians or traditionalists in the north of africa, and you'll discover it's like finding a needle in a haystack. The Moroccans who are 99.9% muslim that you just saw in this world cup should give you a hint already. How can a country have 99% of a particular religion if not with the use of force and conquest? If some of you like, don't sit up and receive sense.

Southern Kaduna is as good as finished while you're in the south shouting Merry xmas looking for one stupid chicken to eat. Anu gbogbo nyin se mi.

------------------------------------------------------

P.S Akeredolu, I can see these days this ur mouth is running faster than it should. It's like the devil's destiny in you is to thwart Yoruba nation for ur sickly paymaster and cronies abi? While we run around not even having enough feeding money for a chicken?

You see this year 2023, e no go fit all of us. We all go enter the same one trouser.

Merry xmas to genuine Yoruba nation supporters (who may celebrate it).

2 Likes

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by PeterObi4LP: 4:40am On Dec 25, 2022
The birth of Christ is the celebration of joy, the kind of joy you have always given me. I appreciate you big time. And may joy never be absent in your life and family. Amen! Merry Christmas.
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by BOLATINUBU01: 4:48am On Dec 25, 2022
dazzlingd:
Christ, Krishna, Zeus, Zeusus Krishna..

Holiday is holiday and it comes to the end of year.
Nobody cares about fable stories of jesus. We only celebrate to enjoy the moment
worship your god in peace, and let others worship theirs, so stop disturbing us here
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:48am On Dec 25, 2022
Racoon:
That his coming was foretold is no valid reason you should associate Him with Christmas, a holiday that is of pagan roots. You can celebrate the pagan holiday without dragging Christ into it. That is how you honor Jesus Christ. undecided

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:50am On Dec 25, 2022
meobizy:
1. Things which don’t make sense; Christmas stemmed from a pagan ritual, was adopted into Christianity, Christianity was forced on Africans and yet we — who are exposed enough to know what to abide or discard — still celebrate the tradition. Make it make sense.

2. Nairalanders are mostly Christian, their saviour was a Jew, he was killed by Jews yet majority of posters here hate Jews. Naija na comedy? Make it make sense.
1. Indeed it is a pagan holiday and ought to be celebrated as such. undecided

2. ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:52am On Dec 25, 2022
opalu:
Merry Christmas to all those Christians killed 1 week to Christmas in Kaduna state. May their Killers' blood be shed in Jesus name. May their families never know any joy again.
So, instead of calling for government to come down hard on their murderers, you want to pretend instead that Jesus Christ should carry that load instead? undecided

Anyways, Merry Xmas to all and to all a Happy New Year! undecided
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by ecolime(m): 4:53am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas folks. Spread the love
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by MrPresident1: 4:53am On Dec 25, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
That his coming was foretold is no valid reason you should associate Him with Christmas, a holiday that is of pagan roots. You can celebrate the pagan holiday without dragging Christ into it. That is how you honor Jesus Christ. undecided

The same was in the beginning with God

What Christians have is the original, before it was paganised
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:54am On Dec 25, 2022
Faber:
Christmas makes no sense to me cos its not recorded anywhere in the world, even in the bible that Bros J. birthday is 25th Dec. So if you squander the money meant for you to hold yourself for rainy days of 2023 today in the name of a modafvcking Greco-Roman-European Festival, na you sabi? I go laff you to stupor when you post your account number here by next year say sapa want kill you.
You know the holiday has pagan roots and it is not even commanded by Jesus Christ so why continue to sit in confusion rather than accept the truth before you which is that it has nothing to do with the man Jesus Christ that the gullible try so hard to associate it with? undecided

Merry Xmas to you and a Happy New year! undecided
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:56am On Dec 25, 2022
MrPresident1:
The same was in the beginning with God

What Christians have is the original, before it was paganised
This makes absolutely no sense of any kind. Jesus Christ never asked His followers to celebrate such things so how could any sane individual claim Christians had the original of what was never part of its teachings in its beginnings? undecided
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by MimiSheWrote(f): 4:56am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by ikorodureporta: 4:57am On Dec 25, 2022
Yearly thingz
Re: Celebrating The Christ In Christmas by Kobojunkiee: 4:58am On Dec 25, 2022
PeterObi4LP:
The birth of Christ is the celebration of joy, the kind of joy you have always given me. I appreciate you big time. And may joy never be absent in your life and family. Amen! Merry Christmas.
Birth of which Jesus, Jesus ask you make you celebrate His birthday? undecided

Abeg, let's celebrate this Pagan holiday like all others without dragging God's Name in the mud with it. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? / Reflection/homily: Third (3rd) Sunday Of Easter Year C (april 14 2013) / Logic, Language, Topology, Joshthefirst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.