Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) (63304 Views)

Delicious Jollof Rice. Idea For A Quick Lunch (pics & video) / Guinea Fowl: My Dad Bought This Creepy Bird For Christmas / See What My Girl Friend Served Me For Lunch - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by merits(m): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:
As a country on the warm African continent and Southern Hemisphere, South Africa has created its own Christmas lunch tradition enjoyed across racial and ethnic lines.

Instead of the traditional Turkey, ham, salmon and other dishes enjoyed in the West during Christmas, most South Africans engage in what is locally referred to as a braai.

A braai is basically a barbecue on an open flame but in South Africa the most common ingredients are beef steak and wors - a unique SA sausage that is very delicious and addictive. The right seasoning is also of utmost importance for a successful braai.

So here are some of the posts people have posted on twitter in the past 24 hours of themselves enjoying a braai over Christmas....

This is Braai in South Africa,I missed hoespruit, Pretoria and Cape Town in those days.yummy yummy.

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 6:41pm On Dec 25, 2022
Jack005:
This is enticing bro. How can I get this? Happy Yuletide season bro and a fulfilled new year in advance.

I know there isn't a sizeable SA community in Nigeria so I doubt we have traditional restaurants over there. Best thing is for you to come on over as a tourist.

Happy festive season to you too.
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by frog12: 6:53pm On Dec 25, 2022
south african women are very FAT !
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Nealson(m): 6:54pm On Dec 25, 2022
Nathaniel111:
Na all dis kin food dey cause cancers.

grin grin grin My thoughts exactly, that wor abi na woo be looking like human penny lol grin
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by themanderon: 7:03pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I think we're officially among the top3 fattest countries in Africa grin

Our restaurant plates are quite big too. That's one of the reasons foreign tourists consider SA a value for money destination.

I thought as much.

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by franchasng: 7:09pm On Dec 25, 2022
bergs2:
God abeg give us snow!!!!!!!

E get why
You should be thanking God everyday that we don't have snow in Nigeria.

Snow is a burden.

Our government is finding it difficult to pave roads with ordinary coal tar abi asphalt talk more of using trucks and graders to scoop snow on the streets to enable Nigerians go about their daily businesses.

Where will you see electricity to heat homes?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:11pm On Dec 25, 2022
buygala:
Good for them

Even though I won't eat some of those round shitty stuff I am seeing... Except at Gunpoint

I don't know why the SA people call it "WORS", but I guess it stems from "WURST", a primarily German sausage.

I no go mind taste am o, I learnt it's made with seasoning and spices inside, not like the tasteless sausages we see here that you will start adding pepper and garlic before it has taste.

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Josbreed: 7:15pm On Dec 25, 2022
Buddha3:
Wait,

I just saw barbecue on a toilet seat.

I dey tellz you.
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by McStoic(m): 7:15pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Yummy...

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by arantess: 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2022
chariisGRACE:
What's so special about Suya?

The same thing special with your rice and chicken
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by bergs2: 7:17pm On Dec 25, 2022
franchasng:
You should be thanking God everyday that we don't have snow in Nigeria.

Snow is a burden.

Our government is finding it difficult to pave roads with ordinary coal tar abi asphalt talk more of using trucks and graders to scoop snow on the streets to enable Nigerians go about their daily businesses.

Where will you see electricity to heat homes?

Lol.
Na play I dey play.

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by franchasng: 7:24pm On Dec 25, 2022
bergs2:

Lol.
Na play I dey play.
lol better oh grin

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by MandelaLives: 7:29pm On Dec 25, 2022
Generalwoodz:
Mouth twisted, the facials flustered, eyes-, blood shot as though tears of blood would cascade in a heartbeat.

I could recall crying because a certain year Christmas in my formative years was ruinous.

No! Hurricane didn't destroy our home or did our house engulfed by fire but...

Mom instead of making the usuals for some obscure reasons switched to "ofe onugbu and Akpu"

I felt like a little lost boy.

Even the association of meats in the soup couldn't suffice or better still propel me to enjoy that particular Christmas.

No Rice. Then you have a wrong Christmas. Was my thoughts as a child.
ASSOCIATION of meats. Lol!
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:42pm On Dec 25, 2022
Jeezuzpick:

I don't know why the SA people call it "WORS", but I guess it stems from "WURST", a primarily German sausage.

I no go mind taste am o, I learnt it's made with seasoning and spices inside, not like the tasteless sausages we see here that you will start adding pepper and garlic before it has taste.

Nice comment cool

You can't leave SA without having tasted wors, biltong and mopane worms grin

2 Likes

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Osariemen12: 7:45pm On Dec 25, 2022
Watch how some Nigerian Muslims with empty stomach will rush to condemn these beautiful meals.

Envy is destructive. SA is greater than us, 9ja.

Argue with your keyboards.

2 Likes

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by shineeye1: 7:47pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:
As a country on the warm African continent and Southern Hemisphere, South Africa has created its own Christmas lunch tradition enjoyed across racial and ethnic lines.

Instead of the traditional Turkey, ham, salmon and other dishes enjoyed in the West during Christmas, most South Africans engage in what is locally referred to as a braai.

A braai is basically a barbecue on an open flame but in South Africa the most common ingredients are beef steak and wors - a unique SA sausage that is very delicious and addictive. The right seasoning is also of utmost importance for a successful braai.

So here are some of the posts people have posted on twitter in the past 24 hours of themselves enjoying a braai over Christmas....

GOD IS AWESOME.
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Bobbiee: 7:53pm On Dec 25, 2022
Why won't they be cursed. When they keep eating what should be offered for sacrifice
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Richie8701(m): 8:11pm On Dec 25, 2022
Actually most of us South Africans only braai on weekends and when we are watching soccer or rugby, so we don't really braai meet on Christmas because it's nothing special so I am going to take a photo of the plate I am currently having to give you an example of what kind of food we have on Christmas Day

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2022
I'm so full, my stomach hurts.. I'm currently laying down outside the house and I don't want any disturbances because I'm full and tired, I could pass the night here.

And having kids in the house also completes the entire Christmas feeling.. I had a great day.. smiley smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:29pm On Dec 25, 2022
Richie8701:
Actually most of us South Africans only braai on weekends and when we are watching soccer or rugby, so we don't really braai meet on Christmas because it's nothing special so I am going to take a photo of the plate I am currently having to give you an example of what kind of food we have on Christmas Day

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Yes braaing is something we do often and the seven colour you have are often either accompanied by braaid meat or what you have on your plate. It's just 2 options.

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:34pm On Dec 25, 2022
I see SA trolls always talking about how poor black South Africans are, have been silenced by Christmas day hunger.

However I suspect once the starvation sets in they'll come hallucinating my way undecided

cc Kingcold

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Sleekfingers: 8:34pm On Dec 25, 2022
ipobarecriminals:
Asians and TOAD/LIZARDS sad.And some people I'm Nigeria I those days during the civil war ate LIZARDS to survived sad cool lipsrsealed undecided. MERRY XMAS cool winkY'all

Not just lizards....they ate dead humans too.....that was when hunger don dey deal mercilessly with them.....na person wey chop bellyful go fit carry guns ....
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Starzo: 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2022
Osariemen12:
Watch how some Nigerian Muslims with empty stomach will rush to condemn these beautiful meals.

Envy is destructive. SA is greater than us, 9ja.

Argue with your keyboards.
SA is greater than your terrorized forced sit at home zone... idiot!

1 Like

Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Starzo: 9:01pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:
I see SA trolls always talking about how poor black South Africans are, have been silenced by Christmas day hunger.

However I suspect once the starvation sets in they'll come hallucinating my way undecided

cc Kingcold
they're busy celebrating with their loved ones and you're here bragging with pictures of earthworms...mugu squared
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by KingCold: 9:02pm On Dec 25, 2022
omonnakoda:
Looks European /Boer to me

Don't they have Zulu food? When did Zulus start eating sausages and cake?
As soon as you realize that the zulu is one of South African tribes the better
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by KingCold: 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2022
frog12:
south african women are very FAT !
Don't forget beautiful
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by judgementyard(m): 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2022
incandescentena:
Lovely

Anything that makes PeterObi wins 2023 is welcomed!
Yes ohh!
Some people will not sleep because of your post
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2022
Starzo:

they're busy celebrating with their loved ones and you're here bragging with pictures of earthworms...mugu squared

Didn't I destroy you forever ago StarBuhariZombie? undecided You wanna cry some more. DM me again if you wanna get destroyed.
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Starzo: 9:15pm On Dec 25, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Didn't I destroy you forever ago StarBuhariZombie? undecided You wanna cry some more. DM me again if you wanna get destroyed.
you're madddd...why the fvck would I dm you for God's sake??

Thunder faya your yansh... stupid he-goat
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Starzo: 9:17pm On Dec 25, 2022
KingCold:
Don't forget beautiful
bootiful, subjective but kinda yeah
beautiful, hell nah!
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by omonnakoda: 9:17pm On Dec 25, 2022
KingCold:
As soon as you realize that the zulu is one of South African tribes the better
What is your point sir?
Re: Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) by Napata77: 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2022
mu2sa2:
Exactly. I prefer Nigerian Xmas cuisine. Here, all those naked meat would be swimming inside pepper soup or sumptuous tomato stew.

lol...Abi o? See as dem just waste meat! smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See The Food I Bought For 2.5k In Maiduguri / "I Found Garden-Egg In The Eggroll I Bought In Aba" - Young Man (Photos) / The N600 Fresh Tomatoes I Bought Today At The Market.. Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.