Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,574 members, 7,850,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:29 AM

Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous (9434 Views)

Petrol Scarcity Worsens Nationwide / Akeredolu Governing Ondo From Oyo State Is Scandalous — PDP, Others / Scandalous Brawl In The Villa: Daily Trust Editorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by kingjoe(m): 5:59am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:
If we want an end to scarcity then we have to remove subsidy.

The biggest mistake any government can make is to 'regulate prices'. We have been regulating prices of petrol since 1973, and in the process we have gone from having 2-3 working refineries to 4 and now to none.

Inherent in subsidisng fuel is the idea that we can sell fuel below the production cost and then pay off the resulting loss via subsidy. As we can see that is not possible. To even run refineries effectively, we need them to make a profit.....which means a refinery is allowed to sell fuel in a way that it can make a profit to pay off the supplier of crude, and its maintenance and upgrade costs, and the marketer is allowed to sell fuel in a way that enables it to pay off its transport costs, the refinery, its supplier. And all have to pay the government its due.

Subsidy does not help the poor. In 2021...it cost N261 to bring in one liter of fuel. Now as at November it was costing N510. The official price of the petrol jumped from N165 to now N179. And we somehow expect to keep it magically that low.?

Nigeria has wrecked our refineries at home because we could not let them produce at a profit....this is the extent of government mismanagement. Government did not let the refineries make a profit. Government over the years prefers to use a large and larger amount of the budget to pay off subsides...because it has no other way of helping the poor that Nigerians like.

The poor are helped in 'sane societies' by heavy taxation, and tax to gdp ratios that are as high as 40-50%...which pay for the welfare of most of the poor. In Nigeria, we do the paying by blanket subsidies, and by cutting prices of petrol. As a result, we end up taking a large chunk of our budget to pay for subsides...because government cannot control the production cost of petrol...whether in or out of Nigeria....and we take loans to cover our asses.

Until subsidy goes....there is going to be scarcity. You cannot bring in fuel at N510 and sell at N180. You cannot refine fuel in Nigeria above N250, and sell it at N180. Petrol, like the phones and rice and stuff you buy...costs money.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk on subsides.
let me start from you.
Can you afford to buy fuel at 700 naira.
That's the price if we removed subsidy.
Diesel is not subsidized and now cost 800 per litre kerosene 750. gas is used as alternative for kerosene.
We should remove corruption in the process subsidize until we build our refineries.it does not make sense.
We have crude oil we can convert it by ourselves.minimum wage is small.we can't afford to buy unsubsidized fuel.

2 Likes

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by onuman: 6:03am On Dec 26, 2022
iwaeda:

https://punchng.com/prolonged-petrol-scarcity-is-scandalous/

Don't worry. After the Christmas and New year celebrations, the scarcity will end.
Ethno-religious bigotry is in this brew.
Oyibos who brought many ethno-religious groups to form one Nigeria hardly have any multi ethnic and religious groups to from one country in their Europe. BREXIT. Oyibos knew that a multi ethnic and multi religious country hardly survives. Yugoslavia.
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 26, 2022
obi58:

Like I said let government address the massive inefficiencies and leakages in the industry first. These are the things that the cabal is massively exploiting at the detriment of the poor masses. If domestic fuel consumption is accurately put at 30mbpd as against the fictitious NNPC figure of 70mbpd a day and the customs is made to do their job properly smuggling will reduce massively. More duties will be generated at the borders from these tankers going out. If we could successfully combat smuggling of imported rice in this country I see no reason why massive tankers cannot be tracked and made to pay sufficient duties back to government to cover the cheap fuel they buy here. Like I said before the reverse happened some years ago when the Naira was stronger than the CFA and importing cars was much cheaper in Cotonou than Nigeria. Even with Benin government increasing duties and tightening their border controls, Nigerians still kept importing cars from Benin and paying the appropriate duties to the Béninois government. Today the CFA is stronger than the Naira. The Nigerian government in their wisdom have kept increasing importation duties for cars locally when we should be exploiting this situation.

The leakages happen because the fact is....when you bring in fuel at a high price and sell it at a lower price, you will end up with looting...because in some ways it is the only way to make a decent profit.

Also, the smuggling happens because fuel is sold to marketers at N148. Meahwile it costs N300 and above in all our neighbours. At the end, people will smuggle fuel and have enough profit to pay off the customs man at the border. By the way, it is not only big men involved in the thing...a lot of small boys at all our borders do the same.

Finally, we lose money. We lose dollars to subsidy...meaning our currency falls because no dollars to buffer it, and we waste money that could have been used on new ports and new refineries among other things...which is why we have to bring in cars through benin.

No amount of cutting leakages is going to change the fact that when you sell fuel at N148 after bringing it in at N510, and when it costs aboveN235- N300 to produce one liter of fuel, there will be losses. And to plug the losses.....illegal activity suddenly becomes a necessity.

To end smuggling, and illegal activites...subsidy has to go. No other way out.

The society that lives on subsidies and freebies, is always responsible for a corrupt governance.” ― Dr. Ashok Anand

1 Like

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 26, 2022
kingjoe:
let me start from you.
Can you afford to buy fuel at 700 naira.
That's the price if we removed subsidy.
Diesel is not subsidized and now cost 800 per litre kerosene 750. gas is used as alternative for kerosene.
We should remove corruption in the process subsidize until we build our refineries.it does not make sense.
We have crude oil we can convert it by ourselves.minimum wage is small.we can't afford to buy unsubsidized fuel.

Yeah I can't afford it most likely....but I also cannot afford the rising debt and budget deficits and corruption and looting , and loss of refining capacity with loss of jobs that come from keeping the subsidy either. I also don't enjoy paying for my fuel at IMF HQ...at the prices they dictate.

Infact, keeping the subsidy is more costly to me than paying N700 per liter.

The society that lives on subsidies and freebies, is always responsible for a corrupt governance.” ― Dr. Ashok Anand.

Your choice...N700 at the pump....or N1500 at IMF HQ.
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by onuman: 6:14am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

The leakages happen because the fact is....when you bring in fuel at a high price and sell it at a lower price, you will end up with looting...because in some ways it is the only way to make a decent profit.

Also, the smuggling happens because fuel is sold to marketers at N148. Meahwile it costs N300 and above in all our neighbours. At the end, people will smuggle fuel and have enough profit to pay off the customs man at the border. By the way, it is not only big men involved in the thing...a lot of small boys at all our borders do the same.

Finally, we lose money. We lose dollars to subsidy...meaning our currency falls because no dollars to buffer it, and we waste money that could have been used on new ports and new refineries among other things...which is why we have to bring in cars through benin.

No amount of cutting leakages is going to change the fact that when you sell fuel at N148 after bringing it in at N510, and when it costs aboveN235- N300 to produce one liter of fuel, there will be losses. And to plug the losses.....illegal activity suddenly becomes a necessity.

The society that lives on subsidies and freebies, is always responsible for a corrupt governance.” ― Dr. Ashok Anand
A litre of Petrol in most European countries is about N1800.
Remove subsidy in Nigeria, the economy grinds to a halt. It's a jigsaw puzzle for Nigeria. Solution should have been getting the refineries working in Nigeria where cheaper labor helps to lower cost of refining crude oil. But shall foreign economic interests in collaboration with Nigeria's profiteers allow Nigeria's refineries to be refurbished?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by SaintNegro77: 6:22am On Dec 26, 2022
This is exactly what you get when no one is in charge of the affairs of the country. You see this spirit of leave him/her because she is or he is my brother will not only ruin this country but it's going to destroy it. Buhari and his cohorts called brothers just destroyed this country.
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 26, 2022
onuman:

A litre of Petrol in most European countries is about N1800.

That's largely because of enviromental taxes, and the regulations that go into their refineries construction..again environment..plus most of them are not oil producers.

And as you said, cheaper labor (That's why some european workers and african workers can have the same level of living despite the Europen earning on paper higher salary)

Remove subsidy in Nigeria, the economy grinds to a halt. It's a jigsaw puzzle for Nigeria.

More like a catch 22

Keep subsidy, and the budget deficit rises...meaning more loans

Remove subsidy and there would be economic issues

Either way, bad news. Why I back removal of subsidy is long term benefits...but long term benefits are not what people want to hear.

Solution should have been getting the refineries working in Nigeria where cheaper labor helps to lower cost of refining crude oil. But shall foreign economic interests in collaboration with Nigeria's profiteers allow Nigeria's refineries to be refurbished?

The refineries don't work because the subsidy regime means they sell fuel at a loss...plus free money...which means that they can be sabotaged...and the money will still come in.

Meanwhile, our GSM companies work well because government does not set a price for them, meaning that they can make a profit to buy and maintain their facilites. And sabotage won't happen because if it does, they lose money(NNPC if sabotage happens, government just pours in money...).

Sell fuel at a profit, and the refineries would work...especially since there is no subsidy money coming in. No free money...the incentive would be there to make the refineries work.

Plus the profiteers will make far more profit, as would the foreign interests. Our government too would make more money.

Plus, we get more refineries. Since no subsidy means reifneries can make a profit...which means domestic refining makes more sense...and that ends Dangote monopoly.

The people get more jobs, more investment and critically eventually a stronger naira and lower prices

2 Likes

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 6:38am On Dec 26, 2022
Patrickker:

In 2019, i was the only person that voted him in my house. I knew he was repeating whether we vote him or not. Here we are today, Lessons learnt in a hard way... This time my father asked me, who am i voting, I smiled in satisfaction and told him Obi, he said, 'Obi, the way to go.'

So you are one of those that contributed to the present predicament in the country?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 6:41am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Yeah I can't afford it most likely....but I also cannot afford the rising debt and budget deficits and corruption and looting , and loss of refining capacity with loss of jobs that come from keeping the subsidy either. I also don't enjoy paying for my fuel at IMF HQ...at the prices they dictate.

Infact, keeping the subsidy is more costly to me than paying N700 per liter.

The society that lives on subsidies and freebies, is always responsible for a corrupt governance.” ― Dr. Ashok Anand.

Your choice...N700 at the pump....or N1500 at IMF HQ.

Pls explain how subsidy is responsible for rising debt and corruption? Does subsidy run itself?

How much subsidy has been removed by government and how much subsidy is left to be removed? I have asked you this several times but it seems it is beyond your compilation of arm chair analysis
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 6:44am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

That's largely because of enviromental taxes, and the regulations that go into their refineries construction..again environment..plus most of them are not oil producers.

And as you said, cheaper labor (That's why some european workers and african workers can have the same level of living despite the Europen earning on paper higher salary)

More like a catch 22

Keep subsidy, and the budget deficit rises...meaning more loans

Remove subsidy and there would be economic issues

Either way, bad news. Why I back removal of subsidy is long term benefits...but long term benefits are not what people want to hear.

The refineries don't work because the subsidy regime means they sell fuel at a loss...plus free money...which means that they can be sabotaged...and the money will still come in.

Meanwhile, our GSM companies work well because government does not set a price for them, meaning that they can make a profit to buy and maintain their facilites. And sabotage won't happen because if it does, they lose money(NNPC if sabotage happens, government just pours in money...).

Sell fuel at a profit, and the refineries would work...especially since there is no subsidy money coming in. No free money...the incentive would be there to make the refineries work.

Plus the profiteers will make far more profit, as would the foreign interests. Our government too would make more money.

Plus, we get more refineries. Since no subsidy means reifneries can make a profit...which means domestic refining makes more sense...and that ends Dangote monopoly.

The people get more jobs, more investment and critically eventually a stronger naira and lower prices

Is it because of subsidy nigeria isn't experiencing those "long term benefits"?

Why are Nigerian refineries not making profit? Is it because of subsidy?

Is it because of subsidy people aren't getting more jobs?

Is it because of subsidy we don't have weak naira and inflation?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 6:45am On Dec 26, 2022
CheapHomes1:

HEADQUARTERS
THE WORLD BANK
1818 H Street, NW Washington, DC 20433 USA
Tel : (202) 473-1000

Headquarters 1 (HQ1):
International Monetary Fund, 700 19th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20431 (see map)

Headquarters 2 (HQ2):
International Monetary Fund, 1900 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC, 20431 (see map)

Telephone Operator: + 1 (202) 623-7000 · Fax: + 1 (202) 623-4661

The People's Bank of China

No.32 Chengfang Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100800, P.R.China.
cool
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 26, 2022
CheapHomes1:

The Export Import Bank of China

No.30, FuXingMenNei Street, XiCheng District, Beijing 100031, P.R.China

Tel:(8610)8357 9988 Fax:(8610)6606 0636 SWIFT:EIBCCNB
wink

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by obi58: 7:16am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Like I said has enough been done to verify how much is actually brought in and at what price by NNPC? Has enough been done to tighten border controls and check smuggling? Has the government made public examples of compromised customs officials and their supervisors? Has enough been done to ensure depot owners sell appropriately after receiving at N148 naira? What is being done to combat this price collusion/cartel by the depot owners? Has enough been done to get our refineries working again?

People smuggle because government allows them to smuggle. Look at the revelations coming out now that government has decide to tackle bunkering. Like I said earlier if the seriousness is there to combat smuggling it will become too hot for the participants to indulge in. I raised the example of imported rice earlier. If it can be done for rice it can be done for fuel. Anyone coming from other countries to buy fuel must pay appropriate duties at the border same way Nigerians pay duties to Benin Republic to import cars from Cotonou.

We lose money because we chose to lose money. I have shown you how a serious government can not only plug leakages but generate dollars at the borders instead of these monies going to corrupt customs officials. If it can be done for rice it can be done for fuel. Just saddle EFCC and DSS with spotchecking the customs and see the revelations that will start coming out.

The landing cost of fuel is debatable.... The cost of producing a liter of fuel domestically is debatable. It is the responsibility of government to ensure we get the best prices for domestic consumption. If best practices are adopted a whole lot will change and if we focus on resuscitating our daily crude oil output and export which again we are not seriously monitoring giving rise to significant leakages there too, we will do just fine as a country.

If other middle Eastern oil producing nations can subsidise their fuel and still remain highly profitable and efficient in their oil production I see no reason why Nigeria can't be the same.

All developed economies operate some form of subsidy or welfare net for the protection of their people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 26, 2022
obi58:

All developed economies operate some form of subsidy or welfare net for the protection of their people.

Not for all their people, for selected groups and those subsides are paid for by heavy duty taxes on everyone. Not our kind of ekuke taxes
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Doyou2019: 7:22am On Dec 26, 2022
MVLOX:
At least it is getting us ready for the removal of the fraudulent subsidy

Why can't they just remove the subsidy now? Why wait till May?
They're scared of losing an election they have already lost!

1 Like

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by obi58: 7:23am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Not for all their people, for selected groups and those subsides are paid for by heavy duty taxes on everyone. Not our kind of ekuke taxes

Again we go back to the seriousness or otherwise of government. What is government doing to effectively and progressively tax the richest and highest earning income groups in the country?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Temi2468: 7:30am On Dec 26, 2022
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Tannhauser(m): 7:39am On Dec 26, 2022
angry
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by kokomilala(m): 8:11am On Dec 26, 2022
The Pathology Of A Malfunctioning Economy And State

It's a telling paradox that Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer is caught in the web and labyrinth of this mess of fuel scarcity and organization mismatch.

In a free market economy, one would expect the government to put refineries in place, or encourage private owners to do that. This will then spur market forces of demand and supply.

Imagine a situation where there's a glut
of refined products throughout the crude oil value chain: PMS, kerosene, diesel and AGO, who would have a crash in their prices since they are being refined here. But the shylocks in government would not allow that to happen in order to entrench their own business of importing refined products.

Is it not logical for any government to sell off the obsolete and resource-consuming refineries? Is it not also logical to allow new players to compete in the field while the government stands by to minimally regulate?

Nigeria is a paradox! It's become one of the worst possible outcomes throughout history. It is underperforming and disappointing at the same time. And, this, sadly, helps perpetuate the notion that the black man is not organized.

For the DSS intervention, from the last adminstration to the present one, the DSS has become overly partisan and irresponsible in many matters of state that have no bearing with them. For the life of me, it's called SECRET SERVICE. It should be working in the background, in the shadows, not lashing out draconian and irresponsible ultimatums. The DSS should learn from other secret services around the world.

1 Like

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Everlastingson: 8:46am On Dec 26, 2022
obi58:

Subsidy must stay. Low fuel price is the only thing Nigerians benefit from the government. Instead every effort should be made towards investigating the inefficiencies in the fuel industry. Starting from accurately determining our daily domestic demand to accurately capturing the real volumes imported into the country to effectively Manning our borders to stop oil smuggling, to checking pipeline vandalism and bunkering, to providing incentives for quick setup of modular refineries nationwide to checking the excesses of Nnpc and the private depot owners etc....

A serious government will attack and eliminate all these inefficiencies first, set up domestic production not limited to Dangoté alone, denominate crude oil supply to local refineries in naira and their ancillary inputs likewise to reduce the drain on our foreign reserves thus strengthening the naira and then sell excess crude on the international market.

If even as low as 30% of these things are done you will discover that much of this subsidy burden on the budget will mysteriously disappear, fuel will be everywhere and our daily bpd will increase. If other oil producing countries can efficiently manage their petroleum industry and still subsidise fuel for their citizens so also can Nigeria.

Few years back Naira was stronger than the CFA, but today that is not the case. If Nigerians can go to Cotönou to buy cars and pay appropriate duty before crossing the border back here, I see no reason why people from other countries coming here to buy cheaper petrol cannot be checked and made to pay appropriate premium duties to government which can be ploughed back into improving our local refining capacity. The problem is not subsidy but the gross inefficiencies in the management of our petroleum sector especially by NNPC. This is where the beam must be focused for us to maximise our earnings from oil and improve our country.

Thank you. Many of those you hear shouting subsidy should be removed are actually enemies of the masses, agents of the World Bank who have equally been brainwashed by the West. ALL Arab countries have fuel subsidy in place for their citizens but are still light years ahead of Nigeria. Until the Federal Government stops stealing Nigeria is going nowhere.

2 Likes

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by obi58: 8:48am On Dec 26, 2022
Everlastingson:

Thank you. Many of those you hear shouting subsidy should be removed are actually enemies of the masses, agents of the World Bank who have equally been brainwashed by the West. ALL Arab countries have fuel subsidy in place for their citizens but are still light years ahead of Nigeria. Until the Federal Government stops stealing Nigeria is going nowhere.

Gbam! Succinctly put!!!
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by clinician2x: 9:02am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

The biggest mistake any government can make is to 'regulate prices'. We have been regulating prices of petrol since 1973, and in the process we have gone from having 2-3 working refineries to 4 and now to none.

Inherent in subsidisng fuel is the idea that we can sell fuel below the production cost and then pay off the resulting loss via subsidy. As we can see that is not possible. To even run refineries effectively, we need them to make a profit.....which means a refinery is allowed to sell fuel in a way that it can make a profit to pay off the supplier of crude, and its maintenance and upgrade costs, and the marketer is allowed to sell fuel in a way that enables it to pay off its transport costs, the refinery, its supplier. And all have to pay the government its due.

Subsidy does not help the poor. In 2021...it cost N261 to bring in one liter of fuel. Now as at November it was costing N510. The official price of the petrol jumped from N165 to now N179. And we somehow expect to keep it magically that low.?

Nigeria has wrecked our refineries at home because we could not let them produce at a profit....this is the extent of government mismanagement. Government did not let the refineries make a profit. Government over the years prefers to use a large and larger amount of the budget to pay off subsides...because it has no other way of helping the poor that Nigerians like.

The poor are helped in 'sane societies' by heavy taxation, and tax to gdp ratios that are as high as 40-50%...which pay for the welfare of most of the poor. In Nigeria, we do the paying by blanket subsidies, and by cutting prices of petrol. As a result, we end up taking a large chunk of our budget to pay for subsides...because government cannot control the production cost of petrol...whether in or out of Nigeria....and we take loans to cover our asses.

Until subsidy goes....there is going to be scarcity. You cannot bring in fuel at N510 and sell at N180. You cannot refine fuel in Nigeria above N250, and sell it at N180. Petrol, like the phones and rice and stuff you buy...costs money.

You help the poor by taking them heavily you're saying?

Everything you wrote here shows you have zero understanding of the Nigeria problem

When you eliminate fuel subsidy what happens? You sell petrol to about 1k a litre and the cost of everything grows exponentially and salary remains the same. Will the increase in fuel pump price cause an increase in salary to male people afford basic things, if you say the answer is yes, you are a fool.

Subsidy must stay. The problem of nigeria is not subsidy, it is corruption. Even the money they pay on subsidy is not accounted for, it is bogus figures daily. The same way the subsidy situation is handled with zero transparency is still how it will be mismanaged when you remove subsidy.

Subsidy is healthy in all economy. The tuition fee paid by Canadian citizens is far less than what immigrant with student visa pay and it's subsidy in place. You cannot help the poor through taxation, u help them through subsidizing their basic needs. Until Nigeria fix electricity issue to cut dependence on fuel, removing subsidy will be disastrous on the masses.

Millions of Nigerians are poor, million others spend 60% of their monthly salary on transportation to work. When you remove the subsidy they will spend 120% on transportation because the salary will never grow, companies will shut down or even downsize and millions of others will be thrown into misery.

Majority of Nigerians lack functional brains.
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:24am On Dec 26, 2022
[quote author=Kobonaire234 post=119435146][/quote]

wetin happen? with all your expertise on oil subsidy, you cant answer these questions?

Is it because of subsidy nigeria isn't experiencing those "long term benefits"?

Why are Nigerian refineries not making profit? Is it because of subsidy?

Is it because of subsidy people aren't getting more jobs?

Is it because of subsidy we don't have weak naira and inflation?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:27am On Dec 26, 2022
clinician2x:

Everything you wrote here shows you have zero understanding of the Nigeria problem

When you eliminate fuel subsidy what happens? You sell petrol to about 1k a litre and the cost of everything grows exponentially and salary remains the same. Will the increase in fuel pump price cause an increase in salary to male people afford basic things, if you say the answer is yes, you are a fool.

Subsidy must stay. The problem of nigeria is not subsidy, it is corruption. Even the money they pay on subsidy is not accounted for, it is bogus figures daily. The same way the subsidy situation is handled with zero transparency is still how it will be mismanaged when you remove subsidy.

Subsidy is healthy in all economy. The tuition fee paid by Canadian citizens is far less than what immigrant with student visa pay and it's subsidy in place. You cannot help the poor through taxation, u help them through subsidizing their basic needs. Until Nigeria fix electricity issue to cut dependence on fuel, removing subsidy will be disastrous on the masses.

Millions of Nigerians are poor, million others spend 60% of their monthly salary on transportation to work. When you remove the subsidy they will spend 120% on transportation because the salary will never grow, companies will shut down or even downsize and millions of others will be thrown into misery.

bless you bro. especially the highlighted. but kobonaire that you responded to thinks that oil subsidy is nigerias biggest problems and once you remove it, nigeria will automatically turn to dubai as if subsidy runs itself. i have asked him some simple, but bobo cant answer
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:28am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

when the refineries were functional, how was subsidy implemented? how did the government not allow the refineries to make profit?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:30am On Dec 26, 2022
[quote author=Kobonaire234 post=119435116][/quote]

Pls explain how subsidy is responsible for rising debt and corruption? Does subsidy run itself?

How much subsidy has been removed by government and how much subsidy is left to be removed? I have asked you this several times but it seems it is beyond your compilation of arm chair analysis
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:34am On Dec 26, 2022
obi58:

Subsidy must stay. Low fuel price is the only thing Nigerians benefit from the government. Instead every effort should be made towards investigating the inefficiencies in the fuel industry. Starting from accurately determining our daily domestic demand to accurately capturing the real volumes imported into the country to effectively Manning our borders to stop oil smuggling, to checking pipeline vandalism and bunkering, to providing incentives for quick setup of modular refineries nationwide to checking the excesses of Nnpc and the private depot owners etc....

A serious government will attack and eliminate all these inefficiencies first, set up domestic production not limited to Dangoté alone, denominate crude oil supply to local refineries in naira and their ancillary inputs likewise to reduce the drain on our foreign reserves thus strengthening the naira and then sell excess crude on the international market.

If even as low as 30% of these things are done you will discover that much of this subsidy burden on the budget will mysteriously disappear, fuel will be everywhere and our daily bpd will increase. If other oil producing countries can efficiently manage their petroleum industry and still subsidise fuel for their citizens so also can Nigeria.

Few years back Naira was stronger than the CFA, but today that is not the case. If Nigerians can go to Cotönou to buy cars and pay appropriate duty before crossing the border back here, I see no reason why people from other countries coming here to buy cheaper petrol cannot be checked and made to pay appropriate premium duties to government which can be ploughed back into improving our local refining capacity. The problem is not subsidy but the gross inefficiencies in the management of our petroleum sector especially by NNPC. This is where the beam must be focused for us to maximise our earnings from oil and improve our country.

thank you for helping educate kobonaire with his one way analysis that fuel subsidy is the origin of nigerias problems

1 Like

Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by CheapHomes1: 9:38am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

what is wrong with our taxes?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 26, 2022
clinician2x:

Canada has a higer rate of its income coming in from taxes.

Nigeria does not. Our revenue from oil is very tenous even without the stealing
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by clinician2x: 9:53am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Canada has a higer rate of its income coming in from taxes.

Nigeria does not. Our revenue from oil is very tenous even without the stealing

So your idea of moving the nation forward is to increase taxation and increase fuel cost. So the person that earn 20k a month will spend 12k on transportation and pay tak of 5k and is left with 3k? I know people that earn 8k from their place of work. They pay about 3k monthly on transportation and when u remove subsidy it will be 6k so they're left with 2k. What do you think will bcom of these millions of Nigerians?
Re: Prolonged Petrol Scarcity Is Scandalous by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 26, 2022
clinician2x:

So your idea of moving the nation forward is to increase taxation and increase fuel cost. So the person that earn 20k a month will spend 12k on transportation and pay tak of 5k and is left with 3k? I know people that earn 8k from their place of work. They pay about 3k monthly on transportation and when u remove subsidy it will be 6k so they're left with 2k. What do you think will bcom of these millions of Nigerians?

Ok. Keep subsidy, pay more in debt to IMF and World bank.

Good morning. There is no such thing as cheap fuel

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Offa Robbery: Prove Your Allegation – Saraki’s Aide Dares Lai Mohammed / Selfish Politicians Have Hijacked Nigeria — Balarabe Musa / APC Splits Into Three Factions In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.