Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Pele Is Dead - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pele Is Dead (52415 Views)

A Picture Of President Putin, Okocha, Pele, Maradona And Kanu / Pele Is Hospitalised Over Swollen Body, Heart Issues / Pele Is Wrong. Messi Has Scored With Every Part Of His Body. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pele Is Dead by id911(m): 8:41pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP to the greatest!

2 Likes

Re: Pele Is Dead by Dbest10: 8:41pm On Dec 29, 2022
Rest in peace,Legend of the Beautiful game
Re: Pele Is Dead by KessJr: 8:42pm On Dec 29, 2022
Rest Well Legend.
Re: Pele Is Dead by Mumusaphire: 8:42pm On Dec 29, 2022
La Liga
More
Pele's greatest career moments: 1,000th goal, 1970 World Cup and stopping a civil war
Matt O'Connor-Simpson
29 Dec 2022 20:14+01:00

PeleGetty Images
Brazil
Santos
Features & Opinions
Nostalgia
World Cup
Brazil and Santos legend Pele died on Thursday. GOAL remembers the greatest moments of his incredible career.

No player did more to popularise football's reputation as the beautiful game than the immortal Pele.

The only male or female player to win three World Cups, the free-scoring forward also spearheaded one of the greatest club side's footballing history.

His death leaves a devastating void in global sport, and below, GOAL recalls some of the standout moments of a once-in-a-lifetime career.

Pele 1958Getty Images
A goal on his debut... twice
Pele made his professional debut all the way back in 1956. Aged just 15, the legendary forward lined up for Santos - he had only signed a few months earlier following a successful trial - against rivals Corinthians.

Pele scored in the 7-1 victory, kickstarting a golden era at the club that would span 18 years. It wasn't his best strike, with the teenager simply tapping home a rebound in the box.

Then, in July 1957, Pele opened his international scoring account - against Argentina no less. He was far from an established name in the Santos side at this stage, but impressed Brazil manager Sylvio Pirillo in a friendly organised to raise money for Sao Paulo's new stadium.

A baby-faced Pele still managed to find the net at the Maracana, making it 2-1 to the Selecao.

Pele 1958 World Cup Getty Images
Birth of a superstar
Pele introduced himself to a global football audience at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. After featuring just once in the group stage, his tournament exploded in the quarter-final stage, when he burst through the Wales backline to secure a 1-0 win and his side's progression.

Things got even better in the semi-finals when Pele's hat trick helped Brazil down the free-scoring Just Fontaine and France.

And his legend was secured in the final when he grabbed a brace as the Selecao smashed hosts Sweden 5-2. His first goal in that game was typical of his brilliance. After taking down a deep cross in the box he dinked the ball over brutish Swedish defender Bengt Gustavsson, before watching it drop down from a great height and finding the bottom corner on the volley.

Pele Santos Getty Images
Continental champion
While Pele's relentless touring schedule prevented him from winning the Copa America with Brazil - he only appeared in one tournament (1959) and managed to secure the Golden Boot - the forward did taste continental glory at club level.

In 1962, with the scores level after two legs in the Copa Libertadores final against Penarol, Pele carried Santos to victory in a Playoff contested on neutral ground at Estadio Monumental. He grabbed a brace, including a game-changing strike just after half time, as Santos earned their first ever South American title.

A year later, the Alvinegro retained their crown, with Pele scoring in the final against Boca Juniors.

Victory in these two games booked Santos a place in the Intercontinental Cup against European opposition. They made light work of their opponents both years, first beating Benfica - Pele scored five goals over the two legs - and then getting the better of AC Milan in another playoff.

Five in a row
Throughout the 1960s Pele spearheaded Santos' greatest ever side, appropriately nicknamed Os Santasticos.

The Dream Team's list of accomplishments is endless, and their diminutive attacking fulcrum was always at the centre of things.

Winning five Serie A titles in a row between 1961 and 1965 was one of Santos' crowning achievements, with Pele securing the top scorer award in three of these seasons.

1962 also saw Lula's charges secure the 'first treble in the world'. During this whirlwind year, Pele and Co. won the Copa Libertadores, Campeonato Paulista and Taca Brasil. Not bad.

Pele fansGetty Images
Stopping a civil war?
As Pele's star rose, Santos began to prioritise lucrative international tours over silverware, a strange concept to get your head around from a modern perspective.

On one of these overseas trips, the Santasticos found themselves in Nigeria when the country was in the midst of a brutal civil war with secessionist state Biafra.

When Pele and his teammates rolled into Lagos, legend has it that the guns stopped for 48 hours, so both sides of the conflict could witness the Super Eagles play out a 2-2 draw with the touring side. Needless to say, Pele scored both goals.

2 Likes

Re: Pele Is Dead by BeanX(m): 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP legend, send my regards to maradona.
Re: Pele Is Dead by IPG25(m): 8:45pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP legend sleep well
Re: Pele Is Dead by Heroicvic(m): 8:45pm On Dec 29, 2022
kendological:

Millions didn't die today.

Whatever
If this message touched you, cry and be productive starting tomorrow

Shalom
Re: Pele Is Dead by Heroicvic(m): 8:46pm On Dec 29, 2022
dontrulee:

What's the point?
Since we will all die and legacy wouldn't bring anyone back to life. grin grin

You can waste away your life for all I care
Re: Pele Is Dead by OBA117(m): 8:46pm On Dec 29, 2022
FM19addict:
RIP to the greatest of all time
Brazilian soccer legend Pelé, winner of record 3 World Cups and standard-bearer for ‘the beautiful game,’ has died at 82

RIP to the football legend.

May God comfort the family he left behind.

1 Like

Re: Pele Is Dead by Heroicvic(m): 8:47pm On Dec 29, 2022
faithfull18:

Doesn't change anything, heaven is the goal.

What are you waiting for?
If it's such a great place why are you postponing? Go ahead and die now

You too can waste away your life for all I care
Re: Pele Is Dead by peacettw: 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2022
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace. Amen
Re: Pele Is Dead by Alfred74: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2022
obembet:

You have abandoned Pendu lol. He has been relegated, he is not the greatest anymore right? cool cool

1 Like

Re: Pele Is Dead by lifenija: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2022
Nwachi1:
May almighty God grant him eternal rest
Please guys, am pleading, if you have a little kindly share with me. I haven't eaten anything since yesterday and am very hungry and sick please. Am having typhod fever but due to lack of money I can't buy drugs. I live with my mom who is retired and my Dad is late. pls help me with any little you can please I beg you in the name of God. May God's show you mercy as you have shown me, amen. Thank you
Acct num: Angela
G.T.Bank
if u too die u wont complain bout food.

Online begger

1 Like

Re: Pele Is Dead by gfelo(m): 8:50pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP first goat of the world of football, this make Messi the only living goat of football.
Re: Pele Is Dead by Reference(m): 8:50pm On Dec 29, 2022
The King is dead.
God save the king.

What a man, what a legend.
What a time to witness the greatest ever footballer.

RIP.
Re: Pele Is Dead by Prenonjebose: 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2022
GOAT RIP
Re: Pele Is Dead by ElSudani: 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2022
Exit of a Legend. Rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Pele Is Dead by NovusHomo(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2022
southsouthking:
Try and leave this world a little better than you found it, and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate, you have not wasted your time but have done your best.

Goodbye Edson Arantes do Nascimento [/b]A.K.A Pele, You left the world better
than you found it and you died a happy death.
Goodnight Legend.

EDOUARDO ARANTES do NASCIMENTO
Re: Pele Is Dead by Gwan2(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2022
[quote author=sukkot post=119530476][/quote]

grin grin Baba you wicked ooo…this mischievous look make the guy sharply go modify him post

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pele Is Dead by Samuelthemanli(m): 8:54pm On Dec 29, 2022
R.I.P LEGEND
Re: Pele Is Dead by Ogamysamo: 8:55pm On Dec 29, 2022
jojothaiv:
Some folks still manage to smuggle the Messi-Ronaldo talks into this sober thread.
People still take sentiments to thread that ordinary should be dedicated to a dead sportsman.

Totally unrelated, the poem To An Athlete Dying Young refers to most people on this thread.

Anyway, this is humanity, in all her glory, gory, splendor and sentiments. You can't take that away from them.[/b]
in my few years of life i have come to realize that there's no football without debate, anywhere two or three fans gather in the name of footcall stuff there must be argument. and no visal debate dies unless another football related topic replace it.
*it may not be totally true thou, but that's what i've observed*

[b]Not weird, this is you, this is the life your soul want and I'm glad you found meaning in it.
you are one of the few who have find it cool.

thanks for sharing in my joy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pele Is Dead by Richy4(m): 8:55pm On Dec 29, 2022
Ogamysamo:
it may seems weird but the truth is that i hardly show interest in anything other than black and white(written)
You like reading.. cool.. it's equally a hobby...
Soccer relieves tensions especially when you support a particular team.. it unites people.., create team spirit etc.. cool
Re: Pele Is Dead by observanc1: 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP GOAT!
Re: Pele Is Dead by purehustle101(m): 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2022
Rip to the legend.
Re: Pele Is Dead by FireUpNow(m): 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2022
TinubuShet:
Now Messi is the only GOATALIVE
It's a great sin to compare Messi to Pele. If you know you know
Re: Pele Is Dead by waice6571: 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP Pele the great.
Undisputable greatest footballer of all time

Your autobiography is one of best book I ever read while growing up.

We love you but can't stop your transition to great beyond.... Sleep on the only true legend.

2 Likes

Re: Pele Is Dead by igben(m): 8:59pm On Dec 29, 2022
Overated player.. quote me anywhere...
Re: Pele Is Dead by Elidrisy20: 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2022
RIP legard, Nymar couldn't bring the world cup home
Re: Pele Is Dead by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 29, 2022
King sad sad sad
Re: Pele Is Dead by Ogamysamo: 9:01pm On Dec 29, 2022
Richy4:

You like reading.. cool.. it's equally a hobby...
Soccer relieves tensions especially when you support a particular team.. it unites people.., create team spirit etc.. cool
i've tried several times to blend into football but... it didn't work.
i've also tried to support a club but my heart is far from there,
thou sometimes i do read commentaries of any match that becomes the talk of the neighborhood
Re: Pele Is Dead by Tewqewtii(m): 9:01pm On Dec 29, 2022
southsouthking:
Try and leave this world a little better than you found it, and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate, you have not wasted your time but have done your best.

Goodbye Edson Arantes do Nascimento A.K.A Pele, You left the world better
than you found it and you died a happy death.
Goodnight Legend.

Walahi I no know say Pele no be im real name.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Alex Iwobi: "Why I Snubbed England To Play For Nigeria" / What Are T'he Major Codes For Bet9ja And The Likes! / Sergio Aguero Tries To Score Penalty Using Panenka But Fails (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.