Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

5 Months In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Months In Canada (4104 Views)

Before Vs Now: Mommy 60 Years In Nigeria Vs 4 Months In UK (video) / First International Flight Lands In Lagos Airport After 5 Months / Foreign Airlines Reap $700m From Ticket Sales In 8 Months In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Months In Canada by Journe: 7:52am On Dec 31, 2022
Thanks to travel section which increased the desire in me to move out of Nigeria. I started the process just before covid and I eventually left months ago. The reason why I choose to put this out there is because I was always kind of excited to read threads about people's experience abroad. I created a new account different from my usual one because I can decide to give personal information since I want to create savings plan in order to save $20,000 by Dec 2023.

I started my job mid August with $2300 after tax and I eventually got another one which was about $4000 before tax and take home became $3050 per month. Between then and now, I have acquired 2 plots of land around Mowe/Ibafo, each was between 300 and 500 hundred thousand naira because I'm someone who really believe in real estate. I'm not planning of acquiring more next year though. I now have about 2M in my naira account which was half of my POF which I got from a plot of land that I sold which belong to my family and I feel obligated to return it. I also currently have about $4000 in my Canada savings account, I might attach this.

Before coming here my income was between 130 and 180k naira and I almost lost it because I was already been told that business is slow, thankfully, I got my PPR a month after.

Note: I work from home and I'm not in Ontario. I want to note few things too but that could give hints because some of friends are in this section too

7 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by noeloge82(m): 8:05am On Dec 31, 2022
Journe:
Thanks to travel section which increased the desire in me to move out of Nigeria. I started the process just before covid and I eventually left months ago. The reason why I choose to put this out there is because I was always kind of excited to read threads about people's experience abroad. I created a new account different from my usual one because I can decide to give personal information since I want to create savings plan in order to save $20,000 by Dec 2023.

I started my job mid August with $2300 after tax and I eventually got another one which was about $4000 before tax and take home became $3050 per month. Between then and now, I have acquired 2 plots of land around Mowe/Ibafo, each was between 300 and 500 hundred thousand naira because I'm someone who really believe in real estate. I'm not planning of acquiring more next year though. I now have about 2M in my naira account which was half of my POF which I got from a plot of land that I sold which belong to my family and I feel obligated to return it. I also currently have about $4000 in my Canada savings account, I might attach this.

Before coming here my income was between 130 and 180k naira and I almost lost it because I was already been told that business is slow, thankfully, I got my PPR a month after.

Note: I work from home and I'm not in Ontario. I want to note few things too but that could give hints because some of friends are in this section too

Nice job , given back to where you started is good at least people can learn and know its possible from a first hand information
Kudos

7 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by symbianDON(m): 8:14am On Dec 31, 2022
Journe:

this is quite inspiring!

1 Like

Re: 5 Months In Canada by ZINNYBANKS: 9:21am On Dec 31, 2022
And someone said you can't build wealth in Canada dey play. Op you're going to $1m injn.. grin

14 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by bligs: 9:33am On Dec 31, 2022
ZINNYBANKS:
And someone said you can't build wealth in Canada make dem dey play. Op you're going to $1m injn.. grin
Are you talking about generational wealth, them Obi Cubana, Jowizaza, E-money kind of wealth or the regular comfortable ish such as acquiring properties through mortgage?
PS: Anywhere you are in this world, in as much as you're a salary earner and not a wealth creator, your wealth will be limited to your income unless you are in a country like naija where you can become anything over night.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by kenvic309: 11:12am On Dec 31, 2022
Hi pls I need info on how to Japa too am tired of staying in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Sweetvie: 11:31am On Dec 31, 2022
Interesting thread grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Months In Canada by ednut1(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2022
bligs:

Are you talking about generational wealth, them Obi Cubana, Jowizaza, E-money kind of wealth or the regular comfortable ish such as acquiring properties through mortgage?
PS: Anywhere you are in this world, in as much as you're a salary earner and not a wealth creator, your wealth will be limited to your income unless you are in a country like naija where you can become anything over night.
99.99% of Nigerians cannot see emoney type of money no matter what they do. Abeg rest

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Zerofarm: 2:01pm On Dec 31, 2022
Journe:

What type of job do you do ? Because you said you work from home
Re: 5 Months In Canada by shegzhkn: 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2022
Interesting, I'm gonna go out on the limb and say you probably work in IT, tell me that was wrong.
Re: 5 Months In Canada by Tgb2: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2022
bligs:

Most of those dudes you mentioned are fraudsters and have engaged in illegal activities while fronting legit business as source if you go deep into their source you will be shocked

If you really work hard and diversify your earnings you can be wealthy aswell. Their are many startup like tech and other sectors that one can invest in and grow generation wealth fashion and beauty aswell

By the way op I will be in Toronto in February all Airbnb Iam seeing is quiet expensive how can I get shared apartment for less

13 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by depure(m): 3:12pm On Dec 31, 2022
Tgb2:

Most of those dudes you mentioned are fraudsters and have engaged in illegal activities while fronting legit business as source if you go deep into their source you will be shocked

If you really work hard and diversify your earnings you can be wealthy aswell. Their are many startup like tech and other sectors that one can invest in and grow generation wealth fashion and beauty aswell

By the way op I will be in Toronto in February all Airbnb Iam seeing is quiet expensive how can I get shared apartment for less
Sleep abeg.... naija mentality if person get money na 419

3 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Spanishmilf(m): 3:49pm On Dec 31, 2022
depure:

Sleep abeg.... naija mentality if person get money na 419
lmaoo grin
Re: 5 Months In Canada by ZINNYBANKS: 4:04pm On Dec 31, 2022
bligs:

See this one OK o just dey play ... grin
Re: 5 Months In Canada by Journe: 7:43pm On Dec 31, 2022
Zerofarm:

What type of job do you do ? Because you said you work from home
insurance broker

3 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2022
sad
Re: 5 Months In Canada by pocohantas(f): 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2022
Journe:
insurance broker

Congrats Journe! I am following.
Re: 5 Months In Canada by Raph82(m): 9:08pm On Dec 31, 2022
ednut1:
99.99% of Nigerians cannot see emoney type of money no matter what they do. Abeg rest
Dont mind the guy, they just talk without reasoning. The likes of Cubana & E-money he's talking about, does he even know the true nature of their wealth? Now I know why we're still where we are in Africa.

9 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Weezybaby: 12:31am On Jan 01, 2023
Journe:

Nice! You are doing well! What’s the goal of this thread?

1 Like

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Spanishmilf(m): 12:53am On Jan 01, 2023
Weezybaby:

Nice! You are doing well! What’s the goal of this thread?
to Flex

1 Like

Re: 5 Months In Canada by AnitaofEurope: 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2023
bligs:

Drug dealers
Just dey play you hear..generational wealth indeed

2 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by Lolachef(f): 5:25pm On Jan 01, 2023
please do u have idea of caregiving job with sponsorship in Canada?
Re: 5 Months In Canada by larrypourl(m): 12:54am On Jan 03, 2023
Come and update this thread @journe. Also at what age bracket did you apply for PR cos I've been hearing stories lately of reduced points once you're over 35.
Re: 5 Months In Canada by ednut1(m): 1:14am On Jan 03, 2023
larrypourl:
Come and update this thread @journe. Also at what age bracket did you apply for PR cos I've been hearing stories lately of reduced points once you're over 35.
once you close 30 you start losing points. Those that applied in 2017 to 2019 were not that affected as scores low then. Today its now very competitive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Months In Canada by TWoods(m): 2:38am On Jan 03, 2023
bligs:

The regular comfortable ish is why you’re desperate to travel here. What percentage of Nigerians will ever make the e-money type of wealth?
Re: 5 Months In Canada by pharmguru: 5:55am On Jan 03, 2023
Journe:
Thanks to travel section which increased the desire in me to move out of Nigeria. I started the process just and I'm not in Ontario. I want to note few things too but that could give hints because some of friends are in this section too

Lolz...no too loud am Op. Hush!

You know, I laugh so hard when I hear some daft comments like people living abroad can't save $1k monthly. Lolzzz....like seriously? Ordinary 1k fa cheesy

I'm just few months here too and already hv over $9k in the account working just 4 days a week on survival job. If not for the expensive certifications I'm doing sef, I'd probably hv upto $15k by now.

Now imagine upskilling and getting a professional job. I know many of my friends who are earning 6 figures after getting hot skills.

These daft souls think immigration is like in the 1980s where Nigerians used to flip burger, wash dishes or drive cabs for years when they come abroad. Gone are those days.

This generation of naija immigrants are way smarter than their ancestors and are utilizing opportunities, upgrading their skills and earning 6-figures. They should continue dey play...just dey play. grin grin

15 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by larrypourl(m): 11:18am On Jan 03, 2023
ednut1:
once you close 30 you start losing points. Those that applied in 2017 to 2019 were not that affected as scores low then. Today its now very competitive

Thanks ednut1. Don't want to waste resources, I'd be 33years by Oct with over 5years experience in Public Relations at a Federal Tertiary Institution, also with Msc(Mass Comm.) while wifey is 28years, Bsc (Maths & Special Education), preparing to take the TRCN examination. No relevant work experience in teaching cos she has a fashion store. Having gone through the released NOC 2021(1), I observed teaching is highly sort after and special educators aswell (major concern is lack of teaching experience for her) while my field is also listed.
I intend applying, but the age issue is worrisome also if she's to apply as the primary applicant, she lacks the 2years minimum experience required.
Please what do you suggest with the above situation?
Re: 5 Months In Canada by ImmanuelMyron(m): 11:20am On Jan 03, 2023
pharmguru:

You know, I laugh so hard when I hear some daft comments like people living abroad can't save $1k monthly. Lolzzz....like seriously? Ordinary 1k fa cheesy

I'm just few months here too and already hv over $9k in the account working just 4 days a week on survival job. If not for the expensive certifications I'm doing sef, I'd probably hv upto $15k by now.

Now imagine upskilling and getting a professional job. I know many of my friends who are earning 6 figures after getting hot skills.

These daft souls think immigration is like in the 1980s where Nigerians used to flip burger, wash dishes or drive cabs for years when they come abroad. Gone are those days.

This generation of naija immigrants are way smarter than their ancestors and are utilizing opportunities, upgrading their skills and earning 6-figures. They should continue dey play...just dey play. grin grin

Which kinda skills op?
Re: 5 Months In Canada by ednut1(m): 11:32am On Jan 03, 2023
pharmguru:

my new year resolution is to ignore them. They are anti japa but are always on this section plus their old posts usually showed they tried to japa at some point. I remember when i was in uk some 15 years ago minimum wage was 5.50 and some Nigerians doing hustle jobs then built houses in Nigeria with it. Unlike today when immigrants are easily getting white collar jobs after doing some courses as these oyinbo are battling labour shortages. My dept where i work in an American bank in Canada over 150 of us are here. Only like 2 are white the rest Indians, Nigerians, Chinese.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Months In Canada by ednut1(m): 11:37am On Jan 03, 2023
larrypourl:

Thanks ednut1. Don't want to waste resources, I'd be 33years by Oct with over 5years experience in Public Relations at a Federal Tertiary Institution, also with Msc(Mass Comm.) while wifey is 28years, Bsc (Maths & Special Education), preparing to take the TRCN examination. No relevant work experience in teaching cos she has a fashion store. Having gone through the released NOC 2021(1), I observed teaching is highly sort after and special educators aswell (major concern is lack of teaching experience for her) while my field is also listed.
I intend applying, but the age issue is worrisome also if she's to apply as the primary applicant, she lacks the 2years minimum experience required.
Please what do you suggest with the above situation?
at this point na gamble. You may get province nomination if your occupation is in demand in a province. The immigration minister also said they will do draws that don’t depend on scores but labour shortages too. So just dey at alert if you scared of wasting money.
Re: 5 Months In Canada by larrypourl(m): 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2023
ednut1:
at this point na gamble. You may get province nomination if your occupation is in demand in a province. The immigration minister also said they will do draws that don’t depend on scores but labour shortages too. So just dey at alert if you scared of wasting money.

You've been helpful. I'd still attempt it. Thanks bro.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Living In Albania And Other Balkan Countries / Old Nigerian Passport Still Valid - Read Breaking News! / Attn: Extra Luggage With Airfrance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.