Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,340 members, 7,815,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) (22756 Views)

Stampede Erupts At Ramadan Charity Distribution In Sanaa: 85 Killed, 322 Injured / 60 Killed In Seoul Halloween Party Stampede, 150 Injured (Photos) / Stampede At Qassem Soleimani's Burial Kills 40 People, Injures 213 Persons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by fergie001: 12:08pm On Jan 01, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJQJ063qKLA
New Year’s Eve celebrations turned to a tragedy at Freedom City Mall in Kampala, Uganda, as nine people were killed in a crowd surge.

According to Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police Spokesperson ASP Luke Owoyesigyire, the stampede occurred at midnight when the event’s MC encouraged attendees to go outside and watch the fireworks display.

“It is alleged that after the display ended, a stampede ensued-resulting into the instant deaths of five people,” said ASP Owoyesigyire. Emergency responders transported several casualties to a hospital where a total of nine fatalities were confirmed.

ASP Owoyesigyire also disclosed that several juveniles were killed in the stampede, which occurred as millions of Ugandans welcomed in the new year for the first time in over two years due to Covid-19 restrictions.

“The Katwe Territorial Police are investigating an incident of rush and neglect that occurred at a New Year’s Eve event at the Freedom City Mall Namasuba,” said ASP Owoyesigyire, adding that “the bodies have been transferred to City Mortuary Mulago.”

The news of the stampede has shocked and saddened the community, with many expressing their condolences on social media. “I can’t believe this happened on such a joyous occasion. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims,” wrote one Twitter user.

The cause of the stampede is currently under investigation and authorities are urging the public to come forward with any information that may help in the investigation.

In the meantime, the community is mourning the loss of nine lives and trying to come to terms with this tragic incident.

SOURCE

The Katwe Territorial Police are investigating an incident of rash and neglect that occurred at a New Year's Eve event at the Freedom City Mall Namasuba and resulted in the deaths of nine people, including several juveniles.

It is alleged that the incident occurred at midnight when the event's MC encouraged attendees to go outside and watch the fireworks display. After the display ended, a stampede ensued, resulting in the instant deaths of five people and injuries to several others.

Emergency responders arrived on the scene and transported the injured individuals to the hospital, where nine were confirmed dead. The bodies have been transferred to City Mortuary Mulago. More information will be made available as it becomes available".

Uganda Police Force

Disturbing:
VIDEO

1 Like

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by muyico(m): 12:18pm On Jan 01, 2023
Rip! Thy lod wil guard and protect us tru dis yr I.J.M.N
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by rexchazy(m): 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2023
Stampede can only be imagined

4 Likes

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by lhordspy: 7:14pm On Jan 02, 2023
God heal the world.

2 Likes

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by buygala(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2023
I don't even know if the souls of these younglings will rest, considering they were cut down in their prime sad ...

Wherever they decide to continue their lives, I wish them well cool

8 Likes

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by grandstar(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2023
Kk
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Yankiss(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2023
What a heartbreaking tragedy. People full of life, who came to catch new year fun are now cooling in the morgue. God!! May their souls RIP and may God grant their families the strength to bear the loss, amen!

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by dyera(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2023
Life is a repeated interplay of tragedy and comedy.
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Solanaa: 11:00am On Jan 03, 2023
They didn't see the new year?
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Mercury12(m): 11:01am On Jan 03, 2023
Pathetic.
I remembered where I was at same time the stamped happened on new years eve in Uganda
May God give their souls everlasting rest and peace because that is the only and the greatest gift a human soul can get from God in the afterlife. This world is just a mirage undecided
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by ItsTutsi(m): 11:01am On Jan 03, 2023
This is a waste of stampede, no display of breast!
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 11:01am On Jan 03, 2023
RIP to them.

Vote Peter Obi for a better Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by meobizy(f): 11:02am On Jan 03, 2023
...and in today’s bad news from other regions of Africa.

This is now a thing on Nairaland? Leave those countries, abeg. Stop doing the white man’s bidding of painting African countries bad. Post good news from those places to balance these disastrous reports.
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by nepapole(m): 11:02am On Jan 03, 2023
Sad

1 Like

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by AngelicBeing: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2023
sad
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by TheChameleon: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2023
angry

Other malls in Nigeria should take note...

Especially during festive period. No effective crowd control measures.

Really sad that while seeking enjoyment & fun, they got death instead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Eridamphilan123: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2023
This is outrageous
RIP to the dead
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Angelfrost(m): 11:03am On Jan 03, 2023
So sad...!

This is why I have always avoided crowded places like a plague.

Even crusades and musical shows, I avoid them all...!

If at all I attend, I ensure to always stay very close to any exit point!

Crowd control and social distancing ought be commonplace things by now!

2 Likes

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by marlow1962(m): 11:03am On Jan 03, 2023
Ok
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 11:06am On Jan 03, 2023
Why stampede?

Once one sees one in this kind of situation, pls get yourself somewhere lonely......

Go to the gents and stay until everyone has left....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by internet: 11:06am On Jan 03, 2023
Good morning to u all. How can my friend get his original copy of w.a.s.s.c.e result he wrote back then. He did not collect the original result and now the school where he wrote the exam is no more in existence. Meanwhile rest in peace to the dead.
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by miloum: 11:06am On Jan 03, 2023
Some zombies will still blame Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Yankiss(m): 11:06am On Jan 03, 2023
ItsTutsi:
This is a waste of stampede, no display of breast!
Are you normal? Such a very sick comment!!! cry cry cry cry cry

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Bluffly: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2023
When you are in the crowd always guide yourself and stay firm. We call it guiding. So if you never chop fit stand wella, push back if them push you, no enter crowd o

1 Like

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by ATEAMS: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2023
Damn it
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by GloriousGbola: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2023
This was shoprite festac yesterday. I popped in to buy a printer cartridge and instantly regretted it. The place was filled to overflowing. Like wtf?

1 Like

Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by jiz: 11:08am On Jan 03, 2023
Life is more important
Re: Nine Dead In Freedom City Mall Stampede In Namasuba, Uganda (disturbing Photos) by Haveyoueatentod: 11:09am On Jan 03, 2023
The first and only concert or gathering I ever attended was star Trek headlined by WizKid and Davido in May 2014...i almost died that night. stampedes is not a joke I'm lucky I survived that. Rip to the victims.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Israel: GPS Disabled And IDF Leave Cancelled Over Iran Threat / Egyptian Court Sentences 22 Jihadists To Death By Hanging / Legislator Wants To Make Adultery Legal In New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.