Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria (3647 Views)

Evidence Of How Rivers State Was Rigged - David Hundeyin / Tinubu Slams Ambode: "Ship Of Lagos State Was Heading In The Wrong Direction" / In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:13am On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

You're not listening.

The capital of Nigeria was Lagos Island. Lagos Island was/is Eko.

Oba of Lagos is actually Oba of Lagos Island and not Oba of Lagos State.

You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

Lagos State was not in existence when Lagos Island or Eko was made the federal capital. It was created in 1976.

The Portuguese gave the name Lagos to the Island and not the whole of today's Lagos State.

What's so hard to understand here and what's the essence of the map you're asking for?

We've named places for you and you're still asking for an irrelevant map.

No one knows everything. You don't know this one. Accept it with gratitude and move on.

You may know something else tomorrow that we don't know. We would thank you for the information and move on
Stop wasting your time, he's only interested in believing what he's been fed with. Knowing the truth will hurt the belief he's been holding on to, so he doesn't want to know and will do anything to hold on to the lies because that suits him better grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by SocialJustice: 9:16am On Jan 04, 2023
Ddeliverer007:
Okay, so where are you going with this?
Help me ask o grin
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Bendeco02: 9:17am On Jan 04, 2023
PDPdestroyer:

Stop wasting your time, he's only interested in believing what he's been fed with. Knowing the truth will hurt the belief he's been holding on, so he doesn't want to know and will do anything to hold on to the lies because that suits him better ( grin
Show me where it was indicated that the FCT then is Lagos Island or Lagos City. Or drop the map I will quit the argument.

Very simple

But you people like beating around the bush deceiving yourselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:18am On Jan 04, 2023
Bendeco02:

Show me where it was indicated that the FCT then is Lagos Island or Lagos City. Or drop the map I will quit the argument.

Very simple

Read! Read!! Read!!! It doesn't kill
https://onelagosfiesta.ng/history-of-lagos/
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:22am On Jan 04, 2023
Bendeco02:

Very simple

Will help you further. It was stated that Lagos (and not Lagos State) was capital of Nigeria

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Bendeco02: 9:23am On Jan 04, 2023
PDPdestroyer:

Read! Read!! Read!!! It doesn't kill
https://onelagosfiesta.ng/history-of-lagos/
Is that all you have to say?

My question still remain, which place was the Nigeria FCT before 1960. Was it lagos city, lagos island or lagos state?

Keep deceiving yourselves

grin
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by PDPdestroyer(m): 9:25am On Jan 04, 2023
Bendeco02:

Is that all you have to say?

My question still remain, which place was the Nigeria FCT before 1960. Was it lagos city, lagos island or lagos state?

Keep deceiving yourselves

grin
I can't help you because you chose to believe your own lies, it doesn't change the facts on ground anyway

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Bendeco02: 9:26am On Jan 04, 2023
PDPdestroyer:

Will help you further. It was stated that Lagos (and not Lagos State) was capital of Nigeria

The first paragraph just prove me right. Unless maybe you lack comprehension.

It stated that lagos was the capital of Nigeria. It didn't indicate anything like lagos city or lagos island.

And if you drop the map, it's still the same then and now.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by adekusibe10(m): 9:34am On Jan 04, 2023
That is y they say. Eko fedira meaning lagos island is federal govt meaning is stand alone frm lagos state

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 9:35am On Jan 04, 2023
Bendeco02:

Another mumu epistle

Show me where they indicated as of then that the Nigeria FCT is Lagos Island and not the whole lagos?

Nawa o

Na so yorba people be?

With that your mumu assumption I will now say that the current Nigeria FCT is Aso rock, that the rural side are not part of FCT?

Is that so?

I can see that your ignorance and stupidity is tribal driven, let me leave you to continue to wallow in your ignorance.

Continue

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 9:35am On Jan 04, 2023
PDPdestroyer:

Stop wasting your time, he's only interested in believing what he's been fed with. Knowing the truth will hurt the belief he's been holding on to, so he doesn't want to know and will do anything to hold on to the lies because that suits him better grin

His case is pathetic

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Bendeco02: 9:40am On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

I can see that your ignorance and stupidity is tribal driven, let me leave you to continue to wallow in your ignorance.

Continue
Stop being emmotional

So, this is the type of sophisticated your tribe are. Believing on their deceit?

I told you to drop the map of Nigeria FCT then, let's know if it's different from the one we have now.

So far there's no changes, you're analysing rubbish.

Am not asking of the main city of lagos then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Odibembem: 10:14am On Jan 04, 2023
Hydroxide:
When it comes to issues like this, you will be comparing Nigeria with the United states and other top notch countries of the world. Why don't you compare Nigeria and those countries in terms of good governance, security, opportunities? Those countries see themselves as one irrespective of where any citizen comes from, nothing like tribalism over there. Nonsense comparison.

You obviously are commenting on the wrong thread. I never remotely mentioned any tribe or tribal supremacy here. I only tried to educate some of you that Lagos Island city is different from Lagos state and States are never the capital of any country at least here on earth. Can u mention any country that has a state or province as capital? Is Cairo, Nairobi, Accra, Dakar or Pretoria a state? Likewise Lagos State was never the capital of Nigeria but Lagos Island as a city. Your type must have brains made of sawdust honestly

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Hydroxide(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2023
Odibembem:

You obviously are commenting on he wrong thread. I never remotely mentioned any tribe or tribal supremacy here. I only tried to educate some of you that Lagos Island city is different from Lagos state and States are never the capital of any country at least here on earth. Can u mention any country that has a state or province as capital? Is Cairo, Nairobi, Accra, Dakar or Pretoria a state? Likewise Lagos State was never the capital of Nigeria but Lagos Island as a city. Your type must have brains made of sawdust honestly
Oga shut up. Why are you bringing this up in the first place? Whether lagos island was the capital of Nigeria or whatever your point is does not change anything. That's not what Nigerians are clamouring for. This is 2023, You better channel ur energy into something more productive.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 10:22am On Jan 04, 2023
Bendeco02:

Stop being emmotional

So, this is the type of sophisticated your tribe are. Believing on their deceit?

I told you to drop the map of Nigeria FCT then, let's know if it's different from the one we have now.

So far there's no changes, you're analysing rubbish.

Am not asking of the main city of lagos then

Continue

Why should I care about being right or wrong?

You're right. Well done

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2023
You cannot change over 80yrs history with blatant lies!
Afamed:

Lazy youth. Lagos has 5 districts . Out of the 5, the capital was located only in Lagos Island. The 3rd main land bridge you mentioned is located in Lagos Island. The remaining 4 districts have no single federal facility. Epe, Ikorodu, Ikeja and Badagry, So you can not rewrite history now , that Lagos state developed because it was Federal capital.

So dont force your lies on us

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by oglalasioux(m): 11:25am On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

You didn't get his explanation. Lagos State was not the capital of Nigeria. Lagos was.

FCT is the capital of Nigeria. This includes Abuja and Aso Rock.

Ikorodu, Ikeja, Mushin, Badagry, Epe, etc were all under Western region.

Abuja is the seat of power. Aso Rock is not a city but a landmark inside Abuja. Other towns that make up the FCT with Abuja are Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari, Karshi etc.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2023
oglalasioux:

Abuja is the seat of power. Aso Rock is not a city but a landmark inside Abuja. Other towns that make up the FCT with Abuja are Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari, Karshi etc.

How is this different from what I wrote within the context of my response to him?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by oglalasioux(m): 11:28am On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

How is this different from what I wrote within the context of my response to him?

You said 'Abuja and Aso Rock'. The uninformed will think they are two different places.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by DesChyko: 11:31am On Jan 04, 2023
Same way you were not a descendant of your ancestors years ago.

With your family structure today, you are. Rest on several seats, Bros.
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 11:43am On Jan 04, 2023
izombie:
Op you are the ignorant one. Ok, which part of abuja is the capital of nigeria? Is it only where aso rock is situated? Wrong!
Lagos as a state was the capital of nigeria but the presidential villa was situated in the island. When was MMA built and where was it built? It was built in lagos the then capital of nigeria. The whole of abuja is the capital of Nigeria not just where aso rock is situated.
Stop shifting goal post. Tinubu never developed lagos.
Lagos as a state was never capital to understand this you need to understand a little history and geography
First Lagos the capital became capital in 1914.
Lagos state was created in 1967
Enugu NOT Enugu state was capital of former Eastern Region
Kaduna NOT Kaduna state was capital of former Northern Region
Lagos the capital before Lagos state was created had a Minister
At that time 90% what later became
Lagos State
Was under Western Region Government e.g
Ikeja. Badagry.ikorodu and Epe were 100% Western Region at the time of the 1966 coup and were not under the Federal government
Where the OP got it wrong is the boundary
FCT had a boundary with the Western Region around Idi Oro . Also Victoria Island and Also a were part of the FCT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by duro4chang(m): 11:49am On Jan 04, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
Lagos island is in Abuja?
It means you didn't understand what you read

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 11:54am On Jan 04, 2023
Odibembem:
There is this wrong impression even held by otherwise very educated elites that Lagos State was the capital of Nigeria for so many years till 1991. That is not correct. What was capital of Nigeria was Lagos Island which even did not include Victoria Island. The mainland of today from Ikeja to Ilupeju where all vitually under the western region and only carved into Lagos State when the state was created in 1967. Perhaps to emphasize the difference between the state and the federal capital territory, Ikeja and not Lagos Island was made the capital of Lagos state. All through till 1991, the FG had jurisdiction only on the island and could only collect PAYE tax for residents there while state govt had jurisdiction over the rest of Lagos and collected the PAYE of the residents till d FCT moved to Abuja and the state govt took over jurisdiction of the entire state. Yes, federal presence on the island attracted infrastructure and development to the adjoining towns but but also created urban slums all around the state. However, know the truth, only Lagos Island was capital of Nigeria and not Lagos State.
You are 90% correct but
1.Victoria Island was part of the FCT including Apapa,Yaba up to IdiOro where the boundary lay 2. on inception Lagos was the state capital not Ikeja .That changed later

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by ElSudani: 12:14pm On Jan 04, 2023
DMerciful:
So Awolowo built all the bridges in Lagos and not fg?

He built the Industrial estates, Ikeja, Ilupeju, Apapa etc. These are the true engines of growth in Lagos. People came to Lagos to work in these places not to look at overhead bridges.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Buccalcavity2: 12:28pm On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

Continue

Why should I care about being right or wrong?

You're right. Well done
Don't stress yourself. He is seeing your valid points from his tribalism prism. He knows his position is dumb but can't help himself.
How can someone be comparing Aso Rock to Lagos Island? Compare Aso Rock to State house/Dodan Barack. Abuja to Lagos.
How come an FCT still had an elected governor in Jakande. Was Jakande governing the president?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2023
oglalasioux:

You said 'Abuja and Aso Rock'. The uninformed will think they are two different places.

I was responding to him specifically
Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Globad(f): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2023
Buccalcavity2:

Don't stress yourself. He is seeing your valid points from his tribalism prism. He knows his position is dumb but can't help himself.
How can someone be comparing Aso Rock to Lagos Island? Compare Aso Rock to State house/Dodan Barack. Abuja to Lagos.
How come an FCT still had an elected governor in Jakande. Was Jakande governing the president?

I've left him and his deliberate ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by omonnakoda: 12:45pm On Jan 04, 2023
DMerciful:
So Awolowo built all the bridges in Lagos and not fg?
bridge do una bad tin for SE
See painment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by Odibembem: 1:31pm On Jan 04, 2023
omonnakoda:

You are 90% correct but
1.Victoria Island was part of the FCT including Apapa,Yaba up to IdiOro where the boundary lay 2. on inception Lagos was the state capital not Ikeja .That changed later

Thanks for the correction. I have also learnt from you today. We learn every day

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by yemex04(m): 3:23pm On Jan 04, 2023
Globad:

You are wrong.

Lagos State is different from Lagos city or Lagos Island. Calm down and learn.

Lagos State as an entity was never the federal capital. Lagos, or Lagos Island was!

This Guys will never comprehend your point no matter how elementary you try to be...Some people have genuinely learned & that is all that matters.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Was Never Capital Of Nigeria by freeborn02: 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2023
baretalk:

Tinubu was there since the days on NADECO, he was in the indigenous party of Lagos, before APC, Tinubu is Jakande's protege.

Show me the development tinubu did in lagos before 1999.

And list tinubu's achievements as governor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Paying Taxes / 2011 Poll : Jonathan, Ibb Talks End In Stalmate / Islamic State To Gazans: ‘be Patient’, We’re Busy In Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.