Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,035 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church (8259 Views)

Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! / From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by romeo(m): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2011
frosbel:

^^

The right church is the church of Christ, invisible, united and bound with LOVE for GOD and Christ Jesus.

Let me define the TRUE church of GOD as me mentioned in the bible !!

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing[n] her by the washing with water through the word,and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church– for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[o]This is a profound mystery–but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband." - Ephesians 5:25-33

Which church are we talking about here? the Synagogue or the Christian Church? Christ did not attend any church i guess, instead he went to the synagogue? please help me experts.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by bejeria101(m): 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2011
slowpoke!do you think you can buy GOD.men, how daft can humans be,a pack of 206 bones n 5 litres of blood making noise against the creator of the universe dense dumb,
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by niceone3(m): 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2011
76Naira:

@nice.one & co.

Who are you to judge in religious matters?
Same case of religious intolerance in Nigeria.
People like you form the reasons for religion related insecurity in Nigeria.
I doubt you could really be nice people.

This should be some relief in the midst of news like;
Family of 8 killed in Jos
UN Office bombed in Abuja
Black Africans being killed in Libya
etc
dude, seems u'r misconstruing me. re-read my post again and understand that i was just stating the logical truth

Cheers

Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by 76Naira(m): 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
@ nice.one, sorry.
That was meant for frosbel, scopusng & co.
Correctly updated. Thanks for pointing it out in a polite way bc I was quite harsh in my reply which was meant for them.
Lol
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by chines4(m): 2:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
The man may not believe in God, but he has love for follow human. And we all know that God is love. At the last day there will be many surprises. He did not allow the different believe to stop him from helping with good project. Can we say the same thing here in Nigeria, even Christians from different denomination will not even support another christian denomination not to talk of non Christians.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by maasoap(m): 2:38pm On Sep 05, 2011
At least, they will have enough money now to entice kids and se.xual abuse of the kids will be sustained. Fathers na enjoyment and, embarrassment.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by globexl: 2:43pm On Sep 05, 2011
God this and God that. All this godism is deafening and blocking our reason. Has any one of you godmen taken note of  strong corrolation between the  increasing godism and churchianity in our nation with the accompanying increase in all the forms of immorality and all the social vices?
The pre-emmincence of any philosophical or religious system can be measure by the quality of its output and influence on the society.
If more godism and churchianity  = less ethics, more immorslity and more social vices, and more intolerance, THEN THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE SO-CALLED RELIGIOUS FAITH.
A lot of posters come here to say that atheists are this and athiests are that without saying in what way atheists have affected their lives in any negative way.  These are the people that time forgot. their bodies are here in our present era, but their minds are stuck in the dark ages.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by globexl: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2011
How many of our jet-loving pius, god-loving Churchmen have donated any penny to any worthy cause? I NEAD AN ANSWER PLS.
I am involved in charities and it shocks me to see that Nigerian Churches are MISSING IN ACTION when it comes to charities. SO MUCH FOR YOUR SO-CALLED LOVE OF GOD when you cannot love your fellow human beings. Its quite easier to love an invisible being that to love fellow creatures that you see and interact with everyday. I
Indolent cowards
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by globexl: 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2011
Its not too difficult to figure out why Nigerians embrace pentecotal churchianity so easily.
You see, if you love god fervently with all you heart, you believe that your salvation is assured, and therefore you do not need to love your fellow man. No responsibility.
But if on the other hand , you love your fellow man, then You might need to show honesty,kindness and compassion towards your fellow man. Human nature being what it is, most of you choose the former because it is easier.
Your situation is quite understandable.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by ikanya: 4:05pm On Sep 05, 2011
An Atheist, even though does not believe in God, might believe in the service of humanity. Love for one's fellow is an inborn nature to man, not necessarily what we learn from our religious faiths. If an Atheist felt that the Catholic has the best network to reach out to humanity, globally, and then made donations for such cause, does not mean that he has chained in his belief on the non-existence of God. Catholic accepting such donation merely acted in line with the biblical injunction of "thou should not be a judge upon your neighbour ,
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by globexl: 4:09pm On Sep 05, 2011
ikanya:

An Atheist, even though does not believe in God, might believe in the service of humanity. Love for one's fellow is an inborn nature to man, not necessarily what we learn from our religious faiths. If an Atheist felt that the Catholic has the best network to reach out to humanity, globally, and then made donations for such cause, does not mean that he has chained in his belief on the non-existence of God. Catholic accepting such donation merely acted in line with the biblical injunction of "thou should not be a judge upon your neighbour ,

WELL SAID
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by okpurukata(f): 5:21pm On Sep 05, 2011
This is another kudos to the great Catholic and Apostolic church which have not wavered over the centuries to work for mankind. This again proves the fact that God provides for his own. The catholic church never goes cap in hand begging for funds or sapping people financially. Neither do they dwell in prosperity preaching. God simply fights his own battles. He has done it again.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
The catholic church is building schools for disadvantaged children while Nigerian churches are building universities only the rich can afford.

Mean while a large proportion of their members who contribute by way of tithes, offering, seed offering, love offering, pastor's birthday contribution etc cannot afford the schools and rather opt for the schools for the disadvantaged. I.D.I.O.T.S

1 Like

Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by lifestyle1(m): 6:01pm On Sep 05, 2011
1stCitizen:

The catholic church is building schools for disadvantaged children while Nigerian churches are building universities only the rich can afford.

Mean while a large proportion of their members who contribute by way of tithes, offering, seed offering, love offering, pastor's birthday contribution etc cannot afford the schools and rather opt for the schools for the disadvantaged. I.D.I.O.T.S

Bro, what's the solution ? cheesy

The guy who donated money should have given it to RED-CROSS if he doesn't believe in GOD, The first bible i read was given to me by a catholic church,
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by harakiri(m): 7:05pm On Sep 05, 2011
life_style:

Bro, what's the solution ?  cheesy   

The guy who donated money should have given it to RED-CROSS if he doesn't believe in GOD,  The first bible i read was given to me by a catholic church,

What part of "he gave it to the Catholic church because they have well organized charity organizations" don't you understand? What makes you think he hasn't been discreetly giving to the red cross and other bodies? So because he gave to a religious body, that means he believes in "god"? Kai! ! ! No wonder Nigeria isn't progressing with the reetarded mentality of the youths. This youthful generation is an abysmal failure.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by Chuckdee(m): 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2011
While posters are here arguing the Man is going ahead donating more and more money to what he believes in smiley

Apparently this news is very old, he donated that amount in 2007, his most recent donation to the Same church was August of 2010, when he gave a sum of $5.6M

He stopped investing after retirement and entrusted his wealth among a dozen money managers. He then started giving money to conservation causes such as the World Monuments Fund, Nature Conservancy and the Wildlife Conservation Society. Wilson said he has donated more than $550 million to charity and wants to give away 70 percent of his wealth before he dies.

Wilson began making donations to the New York archdiocese in 1997 with a gift of $10,000, and he continued at that level for several years. Then Susan George, executive director of the Inner-City Scholarship Fund, asked him to consider giving more money to the schools. Wilson responded in 2007 with a $22.5 million gift to the archdiocese’s Cardinal’s Scholarship Program. He later saw a need for a better alumni support network.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-09/atheist-robert-wilson-gives-n-y-catholic-schools-5-6-million.html

The main question here should be how many of our EXTREMELY RICH GOD-BELIEVING men can afford to donate 10% of their wealth?

Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by lifestyle1(m): 7:15pm On Sep 05, 2011
I don't argue with unbelievers,  Its waste of time,  tongue   grin I wonder where your intelligence has taken you to,
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by harakiri(m): 7:16pm On Sep 05, 2011
Chuckdee:

While posters are here arguing the Man is going ahead donating more and more money to what he believes in smiley

Apparently this news is very old, he donated that amount in 2007, his most recent donation to the Same church was August of 2010, when he gave a sum of $5.6M

He stopped investing after retirement and entrusted his wealth among a dozen money managers. He then started giving money to conservation causes such as the World Monuments Fund, Nature Conservancy and the Wildlife Conservation Society. Wilson said he has donated more than $550 million to charity and wants to give away 70 percent of his wealth before he dies.

Wilson began making donations to the New York archdiocese in 1997 with a gift of $10,000, and he continued at that level for several years. Then Susan George, executive director of the Inner-City Scholarship Fund, asked him to consider giving more money to the schools. Wilson responded in 2007 with a $22.5 million gift to the archdiocese’s Cardinal’s Scholarship Program. He later saw a need for a better alumni support network.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-09/atheist-robert-wilson-gives-n-y-catholic-schools-5-6-million.html

The main question here should be how many of our EXTREMELY RICH GOD-BELIEVING men can afford to donate 10% of their wealth?

Abeg, helep me ask dem ooo!
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by Ybutterfly: 9:09pm On Sep 05, 2011
wow ATHEIST of all people
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by movicy(m): 5:08am On Sep 06, 2011
atheist do not believe in God and even catholic church,so they bird r of same feather,so why wont dem help theirself,and how would a person who does not believe in God fear God,so their is another reason 4 their voluntary donation is not because they fear death because they dont believe in d day ressurection
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by ironben(m): 6:36am On Sep 06, 2011
This goes to all of you critics and airheads that can't accept the fact that an aetheist gave his money to the catholic church purposely for promoting education. While you are busy being religious nutheads, fanatics and freaks, an aetheist gentleman saw the big picture, he saw the need to contribute his quota to making the world a better place. To those of you whining, ranting, and raving like a broken record, how many times have you ever been to a charity home?! Your busy being blinded by religion.

Abeg make una upgrade, Coz una mentality don gas.

Bros aetheist, way to go man!
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by house45: 12:12pm On Sep 06, 2011
He is still headed for hell. Take it or leave it. Remember the story of cornelus in the bible. He did more than this guy, but He was headd to hell until God sent Peter to get him born again. Secondly, who said that Penticostal churches don't give to charity, have you not heard of Innercity mission of christ embassy, www.theinnercitymission.org Other churchs have their own and they are all making impact around the world. That a man who don't beleive in God gave money and he is now better than those who beleive in God. Habba!!!
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by sley4life(m): 5:59pm On Sep 06, 2011
i dont understand why we like creating unnecessary problem for ourselves.What is wrong if Muslim or atheist give funds to the church
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by MMM2(m): 9:09pm On Sep 06, 2011
Remain bless guy
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by 3kay945(m): 9:53pm On Sep 06, 2011
house45:

He is still headed for hell. Take it or leave it. Remember the story of cornelus in the bible. He did more than this guy, but He was headd to hell until God sent Peter to get him born again. Secondly, who said that Penticostal churches don't give to charity, have you not heard of Innercity mission of christ embassy, www.theinnercitymission.org Other churchs have their own and they are all making impact around the world. That a man who don't beleive in God gave money and he is now better than those who beleive in God. Habba!!!
How are you so sure of this?, are you God's secretary?
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by grailife(m): 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2012
atheist promoting catholic education while some live in their keyboard arguing day and night thinking that God ll consider their ideas and change his ways lol
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by dekung(m): 2:06pm On Feb 14, 2012
It is so interesting the way people reason. Am sure people like frosbel & co did not even read the article hence the sort of contributions they are making. This guy did not give because he wanted to go to heaven or because he wanted to propagate the gospel. He gave because he sees the good cause the catholic church is engaged in and decides to support it and you can be sure every last dime will be spent on the original purpose. Now am wondering what would people like Oyedepo or Oyakilome do with such money?
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by PastorKun(m): 2:17pm On Feb 14, 2012
^^^
Oledepo might decide to buy a fifth private jet whilst Oyak's would go on another property buying spree in the oregun area to expand his real estate portfolio in the area.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 15, 2012
Pray for the salvation of the atheist soul. Giving is not what will save.

Salvation is only through Jesus Christ! not by giving to the church or

etc.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by dekung(m): 9:20am On Feb 15, 2012
You people don't get it. The guy did not give to God to propagate the 'Kingdom', he gave to the catholic chirch to help indegent children who cannot afford to go to school to have some sound education which is less than one can say of the christian/religious practices in the part of the world. We have become so heavenly minded that we have forgotten to take care of the earth and everything in it. We will rather spend our money to propagate the gospel that feed the hungry, we will rather spend our to organise crusades than clothe the naked, we will rather spend our money to build large auditoriums than house the homeless. Whats the point of loving God when you cannot take care of the things he created.
Re: Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church by Daniel058(m): 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2013
Well i respect all ur coment.oh! someone should not wait to be told that he did by the spirit of God. He is gradually turning ATHEIST TO THEIST. We shall hear the result soon. Catholic church can never stop praying to God about him till he's finally converted.A JOURNEY OF THOUSANDS OF KILOMETRES START WITH A STEP.... THANK YOU JESUS!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Requirements To Get Married At RCCG That's Got People Talking... / What Is Your Favourite Easter Line? Share / Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.