Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,750 members, 7,813,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services (765 Views)

Iranian Hackers Targeting Telcos In Nigeria, NCC Warns / Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by postbox: 10:03am On Jan 04, 2023
With the announcement of 5G in most parts of the world and a test run of 6G in China which is a super upgrade to the previous generation of smartphone network, we can say it is truly the end of the 3G era.

3G which is the third generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology which was first rolled out commercially in mid-2001 and saw the upgrade from 2G, 2.5G, GPRS, and 2.75G networks, ushered in the smartphone era is no longer sustainable as announced by global telcos.

Global internet service providers like AT&T and T-Mobile had shut down the service earlier in 2022 and most recently, Verizon and Vodafone have notified customers that they intend to cut off 3G-enabled devices from their networks from December 2022 and December 2023 respectively.

Also, according to the October report of the Global Mobile Suppliers Association (GSA) has confirmed that 142 companies in 56 countries have either completed, planned, or are in the process of shutting down 2G and 3G networks.

The decision to shut down these networks according to experts is being accelerated to make way for a stronger 5G technology and other networks. While network operators shut down 2G networks, the spectrums can be recycled for 4G and 5G networks to offer faster and better connectivity for their consumers.

However, in Africa, no announcement has been made by network providers concerning 3G services and devices.

South Africa which issued a statement about the future of 2G and 3G in the country announced that by June 2023, it will completely stop the licensing of 2G devices and the country also plans to carry out a similar process for 3G in the second half of 2024 which will end in March 2025.

Experts however believe that Nigeria will have little complications joining this movement because the 5G license currently being auctioned by the Nigerian Communications Commission can be deployed on the infrastructure of older networks.

These older networks, however, have a deadline date set by the original equipment manufacturers indicating when they will stop producing equipment for 3G and 2G and when the time comes, TELCOS using these equipment models may have difficulty operating.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/01/04/global-telcos-announce-plans-to-shut-down-3g-services/

1 Like

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by DONFRANSKID(m): 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2023
It wouldn't work in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Anunakeeh: 11:47pm On Jan 05, 2023
3G that is still the most upgraded network in Nigeria lol. The Telcos Just dey Scam Mumu Nigerians dey go lolgrin

There is nothing like 4G in Nigeria talkless of 5G.

2 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by dustmalik: 11:58pm On Jan 05, 2023
Anunakeeh:
3G that is still the most upgraded network in Nigeria lol. The Telcos Just dey Scam Mumu Nigerians dey go lolgrin

The emboldened is an ignorant statement.

3 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Anunakeeh: 1:05am On Jan 06, 2023
dustmalik:

The emboldened is an ignorant statement.

Nonsense you don't even know who you are engaging. Is It something I am deeply Into and where i also work you want to be explaining to me lol.

Keep basking in your ignoramus life. Bye.
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by dustmalik: 1:22am On Jan 06, 2023
Anunakeeh:

Nonsense you don't even know who you are engaging. Is It something I am deeply Into and where i also work you want to be explaining to me lol.

I know your kind, and i don't give a hoot where you work. Do you also know where i work? If you think you know more about 5G than me, then there is something inherently wrong with you. You think you can come online and spread nonsense information. This is the last mention you will get from me.

3 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 9:24am On Jan 06, 2023
postbox:

These older networks, however, have a deadline date set by the original equipment manufacturers indicating when they will stop producing equipment for 3G and 2G and when the time comes, TELCOS using these equipment models may have difficulty operating.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/01/04/global-telcos-announce-plans-to-shut-down-3g-services/
I believe Network Providers in Nigeria will be ready to leave behind 2G and 3G before it get to this level.

I wander why MTN is so efficient in South Africa than Nigeria even though they make more money in Nigeria
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 9:25am On Jan 06, 2023
Anunakeeh:

You're extremely ignorant.

Anunakeeh:

Even though the person show you evidence, you still dey talk bullshit grin

2G or 3G can never give you that kin speed.

With 2G, you can't even get up to 1Mbps

And please stop lying, you are not deeply involve in it neither do you work there. You can't be working there and be this ignorant about the issue.

3 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 9:34am On Jan 06, 2023
dustmalik:

I know your kind, and i don't give a hoot where you work. Do you also know where i work? If you think you know more about 5G than me, then there is something inherently wrong with you. You think you can come online and spread nonsense information. This is the last mention you will get from me.
I don't understand how that thing feel 2G or 3G can give you that kind of speed grin

Anybody who dey even argue this kin thing suppose to be flog
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by AfriqueDuZuid: 9:52am On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
I believe Network Providers in Nigeria will be ready to leave behind 2G and 3G before it get to this level.

I wander why MTN is so efficient in South Africa than Nigeria even though they make more money in Nigeria

Nigeria has 2 times number of subscribers than SA
Nigeria cost of data is 5 times cheaper than in SA.
It cost more to install infrastructure in Nigeria due to power issues.

As a result MTN spends more on infrastructure in SA than in Nigeria.
MTN makes more money in SA, despite having have the number of subscribers Nigeria has.
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 10:18am On Jan 06, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:
MTN makes more money in SA
Bring out your source

I was thinking MTN made more money in Nigeria in 2020 and 2021.

1 Like

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by dustmalik: 10:18am On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
I don't understand how that thing feel 2G or 3G can give you that kind of speed grin

Anybody who dey even argue this kin thing suppose to be flog
The thing is, there are various types of 5G used around the world. There is the NSA, SA and mmWave. They are classified into Low-band, Mid-band and high-band. I have discussed this before on this forum.

The 5G deployed by MTN is the NSA (Mid-band). This 5G standard relies on existing 4G infrastructure. This is the most common 5G type used in more than 90% of the world. Of course it's not the fastest. mmWave is the fastest but due to the cost of deployment and other factors, most service providers opt for what they can afford.

In fact, going by the original standard definition of 5G, even the mmWave used by Verizon, which achieves up to 5Gbps doesn't meet the specification. In other words, there is no true 5G in commercial use anywhere in the world.

What I find annoying is that the other poster suggested that the 5G in Nigeria is a scam, and the one elsewhere is real. That is an ignorant statement.

3 Likes

Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 10:22am On Jan 06, 2023
dustmalik:

The thing is, there are various types of 5G used around the world. There is the NSA, SA and mmWave. They are classified into Low-band, Mid-band and high-band. I have discussed this before on this forum.

The 5G deployed by MTN is the NSA (Mid-band). This 5G standard relies on existing 4G infrastructure. This is the most common 5G type used in more than 90% of the world. Of course it's not the fastest. mmWave is the fastest but due to the cost of deployment and other factors, most service providers opt for what they can afford.

In fact, going by the original standard definition of 5G, even the mmWave used by Verizon, which achieves up to 5Gbps doesn't meet the specification. In other words, there is no true 5G in commercial use anywhere in the world.

What I find annoying is that the other poster suggested that the 5G in Nigeria is a scam, and the one elsewhere is real. That is an ignorant statement.
He even said there's no 4G
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by AfriqueDuZuid: 12:38pm On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
Bring out your source

I was thinking MTN made more money in Nigeria in 2020 and 2021.

Check the latest
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

Check the latest
Show me

MTN made more money in Nigeria in 2020 and 2021

Show me the latest one since you have the stat with you
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by AfriqueDuZuid: 1:49pm On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
Show me

MTN made more money in Nigeria in 2020 and 2021

Show me the latest one since you have the stat with you

My point is there's not much difference, however Nigeria has 2 times the number of subscribers but has equal revenue to that of SA
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 1:50pm On Jan 06, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

My point is there's not much difference, however Nigeria has 2 times the number of subscribers but has equal revenue to that of SA
That's because the Naira is very weak against the dollar.

But am still correct, MTN makes more money in Nigeria than in SA.
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Anunakeeh: 2:18pm On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
You're extremely ignorant.

Even though the person show you evidence, you still dey talk bullshit grin

2G or 3G can never give you that kin speed.

With 2G, you can't even get up to 1Mbps

And please stop lying, you are not deeply involve in it neither do you work there. You can't be working there and be this ignorant about the issue.

Unfortunately I don't engage "Condemned Slaves Negroes" In a 4th world. Bye.
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by AfriqueDuZuid: 6:59pm On Jan 06, 2023
Parachoko:
That's because the Naira is very weak against the dollar.

But am still correct, MTN makes more money in Nigeria than in SA.

Currency does not make much differrnce

It's not much difference, but Nigeria was slightly more
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by Parachoko: 7:15pm On Jan 06, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

Currency does not make much differrnce

It's not much difference, but Nigeria was slightly more
Currency makes a different, that's why MTN South Africa is making close to What MTN Nigeria is making when what each of them make is converted to £,€ or $.
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by AfriqueDuZuid: 4:02am On Jan 07, 2023
Parachoko:
Currency makes a different, that's why MTN South Africa is making close to What MTN Nigeria is making when what each of them make is converted to £,€ or $.

In a short run it does not
Re: Global Telcos Announce Plans To Shut Down 3G Services by iLoveYouToo(m): 4:12am On Jan 07, 2023
Interesting thread. 3G actually used to have the kind of speeds we get here as 4G. MTN makes more money in Nigeria than SA, anyone in doubt should post a credible source that disputes this.
In my village 3G works almost as good as 4G in parts of Abuja.

Although for now my only proof of their earnings is logic, I can scour the net to find real proof

(1) (Reply)

Buy Brand New Samsung Galaxy Fold4 / Xiaomi Pad SE ( Cheapest Tablet In 2023) / Revolutionizing Infinix Note 30 Series: Android 14 Upgrade Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.