Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe (12930 Views)

- / Is It Really Safe And Healthy To Wash The Bum With Water? / Where Can I Buy Contact Lenses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Tochex101(m): 10:47am On Sep 03, 2011
Pls I would really appreciate info about medical contact lenses.It seems most nigerians prefer d normal eye glasses.
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by obowunmi(m): 11:55am On Sep 03, 2011
They are safe if you have access to water constantly because ure gonna hv to wash ur hands to put ur contacts in and take them out.

Also you have to remember to take them out, if you don't, you put your eyes at risk.

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by dollz(f): 1:12pm On Sep 03, 2011
Dey are safe if u can follow d instructions of d above poster, I ve used it on and off for 7yrs, n neva had a problem cos I take d hygiene seriously
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Tochex101(m): 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2011
Thanks for responces,@ dolls I learnt u have to remove them often so as to air the eye properly.Is it true?

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by obowunmi(m): 11:39pm On Sep 03, 2011
yes its true. smiley
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Tochex101(m): 10:31am On Sep 05, 2011
I'll like the view of an optometrist
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by sp2002(m): 11:18pm On Sep 06, 2011
visit UNIQUE EYE CENTRE,EDO HOUSE V.I, LAGOS for more info, treatmeng and others concerning optometrics. 08137775986
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by DisGuy: 1:42am On Sep 07, 2011
Tochex101:

Thanks for responces,@ dolls [b]I learnt u have to remove them often so as to air the eye properly.[/b]Is it true?

if you mean often as in every 2,3,4 hours then no

if you mean removing them at the end of the day then yes!! you take them out before you go to bed ideally

I have worn lenses for 2 weeks straight nothing happened, it was my last pair! i was out of town and without my glasses

Another thing is the environment, if you live in dusty. smoky, humid** areas or work around these pollutants you might feel uncomfortable

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Oba234: 5:13am On Sep 07, 2011
yes, I wear them all the time. Just take them out before you go to sleep and put the lenses back in the case with the solution or it will become dry and prone to breaking. Every morning after putting your contacts on, pour out your old solutions. Please do not reuse. Make sure you wash your hands before putting them on and try not to let your contacts or solutions get in contact with water. There are organisms in water that can cause an eye infection, so in other words, make sure your hands are completely dry when putting them on. You might want to invest in some eye drops for contact lenses because there are times during the day when the lenses will be too dry or it may have some dirt on them and eyedrops can be an efficient way to clean the contacts and get some mositure rather than taking the contacts out cleaning it which can be a hassle sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by sasimalia(f): 6:52am On Sep 07, 2011
I have very bad vision and been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old. I'm 25 now and got fed up with them. I have been wearing contact lenses for 6 months now. I knew couldn't do the daily meticulous care so my eye doctor suggested the weekly by-weekly or monthly. I picked the monthly one. I keep them in for 30 days. I have my 6 months supply. I do take them out once a week and sleep without them a full night so my can breathe. The ones I wear are the new"breathable" ones and let more oxygen go through to ur eyes than regual daily soft contact lenses. In addition to myopia I also have astigmatism so I wear air optix for astigmatism and its a different prescription for each eye. Great experience so far I even forgot I used to wear glasses for so long. I used to carry my little moistening solution with my so I can put a few drops when my eyes get dry or if I go through an environment that's dusty or smoky but my eyes have adjusted very well and I hardly ever have to do it now.

3 Likes

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Skii(m): 7:06am On Sep 07, 2011
Does anyone please have an idea of how much they cost? The daily,weekly and monthly even yearly contacts
Also any downside to the use of contacts?
i once read somewhere(cant remember now) about the long term use of contacts, that it weakens the muscle tissues around the eyes, dont know how true that is?

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Andrew3(m): 7:19am On Sep 07, 2011
i use to wear glasses for fashion when i was young, now am even forced to wear even on bed atimes sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Jeezy: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2011
The ones i have only last for about 12 hours, after that you have to take them off or your eyes redden and they get uncomfortable. i stopped wearing them because i put them on around 5am and i get home around 10pm at night. this is more than the prescribed 12 hours and the discomfort gets too much for me to handle. undecided
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by TCD: 8:13am On Sep 07, 2011
sasi_malia:

I have very bad vision and been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old. I'm 25 now and got fed up with them. I have been wearing contact lenses for 6 months now. I knew couldn't do the daily meticulous care so my eye doctor suggested the weekly by-weekly or monthly. I picked the monthly one. I keep them in for 30 days. I have my 6 months supply. I do take them out once a week and sleep without them a full night so my can breathe. The ones I wear are the new"breathable" ones and let more oxygen go through to your eyes than regual daily soft contact lenses. In addition to myopia I also have astigmatism so I wear air optix for astigmatism and its a different prescription for each eye. Great experience so far I even forgot I used to wear glasses for so long. I used to carry my little moistening solution with my so I can put a few drops when my eyes get dry or if I go through an environment that's dusty or smoky but my eyes have adjusted very well and I hardly ever have to do it now.

Pls for Whatever Reason, DO NOT GO TO BED WITH YOUR CONTACT LENSES. Why do you need contact lenses in bed anyway, do you have eye problems in your dreams too? When they say a lens lasts for a month, it doesn't mean you should leave it in your eye for a month, it just means it can be used and reused for a Month.

A very beautiful young lady Just had her eyeball removed the other day due to complications of corneal ulcer caused by misuse of contacts made worse by the fact she was just wearing contacts for cosmesis. What a waste.

Please don't play with your life. Those contacts breathable or Not are "Foreign Bodies". Ask any Doctor or even a Med student causes of corneal ulcers and you'll hear Corneal Foreign body amongst many others. Please o, be careful sister.

2 Likes

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Flawlessdiva1(f): 8:16am On Sep 07, 2011
How much does each cost,which colour do you think is best.am happy something like this came up because i have been considering it for a long time now.need to convince my parents,
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Odunnu: 9:19am On Sep 07, 2011
Wow! I started a topic like this sometime back when the optrician prescribed constant wearing of eye glass for 8months to correct my shortsightedness. I opted for the lenses and couldnt stand the dirt it accumulates because Nigeria is so dusty unlike the UK. Now i'm in a fix because I hate wearing regular glasses and I cant use the lenses consistently here
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by obowunmi(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2011
Has your short sighted ness been corrected ?! I don't believe that glasses or lenses correct your vision. In fact, you eye muscles get lazy and become extremely dependent on these prescriptions.

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Odunnu: 9:35am On Sep 07, 2011
Well, that is what the Dr told me. I didnt stay more than 2weeks in UK, thats the most I used the lenses consistently
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Skii(m): 10:20am On Sep 07, 2011
I guess i'll just stick to my glasses for now and when i can afford it i'll go get me some laser reduction therapy
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by dapachez: 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2011
Contact lenses are very safe to use but you must have a good sense of personal hygiene so as to avoid the complications that could result from it,it kind of gives you another look when conventionally peeps are used to putting on glasses.there are daily disposable,daily wear and extended wears of contact lenses.it depends on what you want though.
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by sylve11: 1:46pm On Sep 07, 2011
TCD:

Pls for Whatever Reason, DO NOT GO TO BED WITH YOUR CONTACT LENSES. Why do you need contact lenses in bed anyway, do you have eye problems in your dreams too? When they say a lens lasts for a month, it doesn't mean you should leave it in your eye for a month, it just means it can be used and reused for a Month.

A very beautiful young lady Just had her eyeball removed the other day due to complications of corneal ulcer caused by misuse of contacts made worse by the fact she was just wearing contacts for cosmesis. What a waste.

Please don't play with your life. Those contacts breathable or Not are "Foreign Bodies". Ask any Doctor or even a Med student causes of corneal ulcers and you'll hear Corneal Foreign body amongst many others. Please o, be careful sister.

smiles! smiley cool
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by TOOPURE(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2011
I will not advise a married person or someone that is not a very cautious person to to use it. Use of glasses may seem like wearing load but it is still very much safer than contact. People should be careful when they feel that wearing glasses makes them look like  nerds, because it's better you still have your eyes and look like a nerd rather than looking sexy on the contacts and end up creating problems for yourself. Think about it!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by sasimalia(f): 3:00pm On Sep 07, 2011
TCD:

Don't worry if there is somebody that values their eyes most, it would be me. Most people have no idea what its like to have serious eye issues for most their life, for as long as they can remember. The ones I wear are made for extended wear for 30 days, I do not have to take it out once a week, I just do by caution. Extended wear contact lenses are made for people who can't handle daily wear, and I am one of them. I can assure you that they help me see my dreams clearer grin grin grin Just joking. But seriously it's great opening your eyes in the morning and being able to see like everybody else, instead of looking for your glasses (which my husband used to move around sometimes to tease me, knowing that I put them at the same spot before bed every single day so I don't have to ask for help to look for them since I can't look for it myself).
Anyways make sure you get your eye doctor to prescribe exactly what will work for you and your lifestyle. This is not the 90s anymore and there are countless options and a large variety of soft contact lens. Depending on your location the options you have might be limited, not sure. But listen carefully to your eye doctor. Contact are not for everyone I would def not advise wearing any if you don't have a medical problem that justifies it.
And if you can function without glasses or lenses, bless Baba God and don't ever take it for granted because other people like me were not so fortunate. At least I can see cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by armyofone(m): 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2011
once my contact lense fell out. it was dried and i was driving, not funny at all. now i make sure i have the drop with me always.

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by 1honeybee: 5:41pm On Sep 07, 2011
contact lenses are really good. however if u dont have the patience for daily maintenance of the monthlies go for the dailies. there are some u can wear for only 8hrs and some for 12hrs, it depends on ur need(s) and the health of ur eyes. there is no known side effect yet except wen sanitation is poor. for dusty environments just wear sunglasses, it helps a bit
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Dozita(m): 6:32pm On Sep 07, 2011
'Has your short sighted ness
been corrected ?! I don't
believe that glasses or lenses
correct your vision. In fact,
you eye muscles get lazy and
become extremely dependent
on these prescriptions.'

tochex u see dis?
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by bxcode(m): 6:59pm On Sep 07, 2011
Have been thinking of switching over to using em, but i can't go about d daily or even the weekly routine, guess i will stick to my glasses for now undecided undecided
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by kizydafizy(m): 9:22pm On Sep 07, 2011
sasi_malia:

Don't worry if there is somebody that values their eyes most, it would be me. Most people have no idea what its like to have serious eye issues for most their life, for as long as they can remember. The ones I wear are made for extended wear for 30 days, I do not have to take it out once a week, I just do by caution. Extended wear contact lenses are made for people who can't handle daily wear, and I am one of them. I can assure you that they help me see my dreams clearer grin grin grin Just joking. But seriously it's great opening your eyes in the morning and being able to see like everybody else, instead of looking for your glasses (which my husband used to move around sometimes to tease me, knowing that I put them at the same spot before bed every single day so I don't have to ask for help to look for them since I can't look for it myself).
Anyways make sure you get your eye doctor to prescribe exactly what will work for you and your lifestyle. This is not the 90s anymore and there are countless options and a large variety of soft contact lens. Depending on your location the options you have might be limited, not sure. But listen carefully to your eye doctor. Contact are not for everyone I would def not advise wearing any if you don't have a medical problem that justifies it.
And if you can function without glasses or lenses, bless Baba God and don't ever take it for granted because other people like me were not so fortunate. At least I can see cheesy

If I begin to mention the array of eye problems I have eh. . .they're really jam packed! Anyway, I hate being on glasses as they make me look (or rather, feel) like an impostor. 2months ago I opted for powered contacts. It wasn't easy @ 1st getting used to the ordeal of practically poking my hands into my extremely sensitive eyes. But I'm really okay with them now. Infact, I just took them off for the day. Tomorrow they'll resume work again. . .no time!

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by firestar(f): 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2011
I started a thread in 2006 or 2007 about the safety of contacts. Despite all what I've heard about it, I made up my mind to stick with the traditional.
I've heard about laser surgery too: £395 per eye.
I know myself. . . I'm extremely cautious. It's not like you can regrow your eyeballs or have donors.(Shudder)
I'm myopic and have learned to live with it.
So, there you have it.
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by DisGuy: 8:50am On Sep 08, 2011
Dont really see anything to be scared of as long as you are a responsible adult over 18, taking care of your eyes shouldn't be a hassle

armyofone:

once my contact lense fell out. it was dried and i was driving, not funny at all. now i make sure i have the drop with me always.

yea its good to always have extras in your car or your glasses with you at all times!
Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Phony200(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2011
Great topic. I've got myopia and i know how annoying having to wear glasses all the time can be. It's nice to know there are options.

1 Like

Re: Are Medical Contact Lenses Really Safe by Atila1(f): 11:12pm On Sep 09, 2011
Whether u r new to contact lenses or v bn wearing them for yrs, they r an exciting ,convenient option for vision correction. They enhance ur vision and ur appearance and offer many unique advantages over spectacles. Contact lenses r safe if u stick to the rules. The main rule is proper hygiene. U need to properly wash ur hands b4 inserting the lens and when removing the lens. Lenses should be properly cleaned and stored when not in use. The lens case should also be properly cleaned and rinsed using the lens solution. Do not use tap water. Compliance with proper lens care and wear procedure is vital for successful contact lens wear. Do not sleep with ur contact lenses on as not all contacts are designed to be worn over night, remove the lenses immediately they become uncomfortable, do not insert contacts in an irritated, red or painful eye. In such cases get professional help from an Optometrist.
DO NOT use saliva, tap water, distilled water or homemade saline solution for any purpose in caring for ur lenses!!!!! this could lead to serious eye infections.

(1) (2) (Reply)

110-Bed Maternal And Child Centre In Badagry Commissioned By Lagos State / 2013 Fit And Trim Weight Loss Challenge / 1.8 Million Nigerians Suffering Glaucoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.