Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying (1443 Views)

Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / Can You Survive If You Stopped Working In Tech? / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Lannister360: 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2023
Hello fam, a few years ago, if you look at tech job requirements in Nigeria, you hardly see any job posting that put much weight on years of experience, most of them seemed to be reasonable and just want someone who has the coding skill and the ability to solve problem.

But today the story is different, most employers want people with 5 years of experience, I mean, where the heck do you want people to get that experience from if you do not give them a chance in the first place ?
Even start up tech companies too are still looking for 50 years job experience with strong knowledge in this and that undecided

This is why most tech companies find it difficult to fill open positions, because only few people are given the opportunity to get into the system and gain the experience these companies so desperately need. And these experienced developers we have today were the ones who got into the system years ago when it was easy to get in.

I'm very good in front end and back end web development, I even have some little experience with mobile app development, I also have a good portfolio. I hold tutorial online and teach coding, I'm a tech tutor.

The problem now is that most tech jobs i see these days are looking for someone with10,000 years of experience, they don't care if you have internship experience, they don't care if you have a good portfolio, all they care about is to get someone who is already in the industry, it's madness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Sheriman(m): 4:41pm On Jan 06, 2023
Native Andriod development is complex and difficult to onboard especially as a poor beginner. These are the technologies tools and framework you must know before looking for an Andriod job. The competition nowadays in tech is not smiling! However, Tech is always envolving and equally demanding.
Must be proficient in MongoDB
Must be proficient in Dagger
Must be proficient in dependency injection
Must know how to use Git and Git hub version control time line
Must be proficient in Hilt
Must be proficient in Dealth
Must be proficient in Jetpack Compose
Must be proficient in SQL
Must know how to write App test.
Must be proficient in coroutines.
Deep Knowledge of Data structures and Algorithm
Must know how to use MVVM, MVM, AWS, cloud, kafka, apache.
Must know how to write clean and readable code
Must know how to debugg
Must have 6 years experience of writing codes
Our stacks are Java, Kotlin, JavaScript, Node JS and ready to learn new technologies.
Abegi how can you do all these in Nigeria without getting frusrated and lose focus in your Andriod development journey despite all what we are facing daily such as poor power, expensive data, family pressure and expectations, societal expectations, expensive gadget, lack of capital, noisy environment, hungry amongst others.
As a developer in Nigeria, let think about all these first.
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Lannister360: 5:24pm On Jan 06, 2023
Sheriman:
Native Andriod development is complex and difficult to onboard especially as a poor beginner. These are the technologies tools and framework you must know before looking for an Andriod job. The competition nowadays in tech is not smiling! However, Tech is always envolving and equally demanding.
Must beproficient in coroutines.
Must know how to use MVVM, MVM, AWS, cloud, kafka, apaache.
Must know how to debugg
Our stacks are Java, Kotlin, JavaScript, Node JS and ready to learn new technologies.
Abegi how can you do all these in Nigeria without getting frusrated and lose focus in your Andriod development journey despite all what we are facing daily such as poor power, expensive data, family pressure especially and expectations, societal expectations, expensive gadget, lack of capital, noisy environment, hungry amongst others.
Thank you

Na the experience part de annoying.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by LikeAking: 5:58pm On Jan 06, 2023
Sheriman:
Must beproficient in coroutines.
Must know how to use MVVM, MVM, AWS, cloud, kafka, apaache.
Must know how to debugg
Abegi how can you do all these in Nigeria without getting frusrated and lose focus in your Andriod development journey despite all what we are facing daily such as poor power, expensive data, family pressure especially and expectations, societal expectations, expensive gadget, lack of capital, noisy environment, hungry amongst others.
Thank you

Na just Normal scope. Go apply... No mind them.

3 Likes

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by talk2hb1(m): 6:11pm On Jan 06, 2023
Cene Paz necessary
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:35pm On Jan 06, 2023
The technology stack is increasing everyday. I do mostly jamstack and 3 years ago when I started, things were fairly simple. Now there's so much to know that I won't even know how to advise someone starting out today. Look out for internships. Those are your best bet. They don't care about experience and some internships pay really well. I have seen fresh interns earning more than a senior Dev at a big company in naija.

5 Likes

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by SavageBoy: 8:27pm On Jan 06, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
The technology stack is increasing everyday. I do mostly jamstack and 3 years ago when I started, things were fairly simple. Now there's so much to know that I won't even know how to advise someone starting out today. Look out for internships. Those are your best bet. They don't care about experience and some internships pay really well. I have seen fresh interns earning more than a senior Dev at a big company in naija.

But this big internship opportunities would most often require candidates to have good knowledge of DSA, right?
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:30pm On Jan 06, 2023
SavageBoy:

But this big internship opportunities would most often require candidates to have good knowledge of DSA, right?

Not all the thing is with internships people only think large product based companies. People are still getting good offers based off what they know. The thing no get manual. As for big tech, I wont even bother with them until the economy recovers. Layoffs everywhere and more are coming. Peoples offers are also getting rescinded.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Saverin: 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Not all the thing is with internships people only think large product based companies. People are still getting good offers based off what they know. The thing no get manual. As for big tech, I wont even bother with them until the economy recovers. Layoffs everywhere and more are coming. Peoples offers are also getting rescinded.

Thanks for your input boss.

As at today which one is easier to get: product company (C#/dotnet & Spring-Java) or Agency (platform dev: Magento/wordpress) ?
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:36pm On Jan 06, 2023
Saverin:

Thanks for your input boss.

As at today which one is easier to get: product company (C#/dotnet & Spring-Java) or Agency (platform dev: Magento/wordpress) ?

None to be honest. It depends on your luck. Just work hard and pray to get lucky.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tosinhtml: 5:57am On Jan 07, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I was telling someone this thing yesterday. If I got an offer now, I can't even resign my current job because the new company I am joining isn't sure of my delivery. They can decide to do re-structuring and lay off 3 months from now and as a new employee, you'd be affected. So better to stay where you have been tested and proven, or do 2 jobs at once if possible and manage both of them remotely.

1 Like

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tosinhtml: 6:08am On Jan 07, 2023
@Lannister360: You can do Internships and volunteering work on the side, then add it to your professional experience. You don't need to tell them it was an internship, they do not need to know. Also move over to upwork, you will make very good income there. Learn cross-platform development with either RN or Flutter so you can get gigs. If possible, just forget about Nigerian employers.

4 Likes

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41am On Jan 07, 2023
tosinhtml:

I was telling someone this thing yesterday. If I got an offer now, I can't even resign my current job because the new company I am joining isn't sure of my delivery. They can decide to do re-structuring and lay off 3 months from now and as a new employee, you'd be affected. So better to stay where you have been tested and proven, or do 2 jobs at once if possible and manage both of them remotely.

Honestly even if your present job is not paying high and you get another high paying job that is remote combine both. This isn't the time to quit one job for another at all.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by LikeAking: 9:35am On Jan 07, 2023
tosinhtml:
@Lannister360: You can do Internships and volunteering work on the side, then add it to your professional experience. You don't need to tell them it was an internship, they do not need to know. Also move over to upwork, you will make very good income there. Learn cross-platform development with either RN or Flutter so you can get gigs. If possible, just forget about Nigerian employers.

Nice info...
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by QuoteJustOnce: 9:51am On Jan 07, 2023
talk2hb1:
Cene Paz necessary

c'est ne pas

1 Like

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Lannister360: 11:19pm On Jan 08, 2023
LikeAking:

Nice info...

Upwork and fiver is Saturated

1 Like

Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Lannister360: 11:20pm On Jan 08, 2023
tosinhtml:

Upwork and fiver is Saturated, there are thousands of people with good ratings dragging one gig with you.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tosinhtml: 7:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
Lannister360:

Upwork and fiver is Saturated, there are thousands of people with good ratings dragging one gig with you.

Start by taking very small jobs, then build your ratings with time.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by Lannister360: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2023
tosinhtml:

Start by taking very small jobs, then build your ratings with time.
You won't even see the small jobs.
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:27am On Jan 17, 2023
Baso7272:

Hello sir... Please i have some questions about jamstack. Can i proceed to ask them?
Yeah ask
Re: What's With The 3-5years Job Experience In Tech These Days, It's Annoying by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:26pm On Jan 17, 2023
Baso7272:

Okay,
I learnt html and css.
I just started learning JavaScript.
And after JavaScript, i would like to learn Jamstack.
And that's all
Cus its been very hard and challenging for me to have time to learn coding and, its also difficult to learn coding on my own. I just want an easy path to be a web dev.

With This few skill, will i be able to build any website for clients?
Can i call my self a web developer with this skill?
And also is this the right path you will advice me to take?

Jamstack is just a headless approach to working with CMSs. There's no easy path to be honest. Its just an architectural pattern.

https://jamstack.org/

(1) (Reply)

How To Add Sms Capabilities To Your Vb App / Nine-year-old Writes Iphone Code / Coding From Scratch Or Using Bootstrap, which way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.