Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,135 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement (25700 Views)

How Nigeria ‘lost’ Hundreds Of Generals To Early Retirement / EndSARS: Hundreds Of Resignations By Police Officers Rejected By The IGP / 2023: Tinubu’s Camp Jolted By Bode George’s Presidency Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Antoeni(m): 5:57am On Jan 07, 2023
Following the reports of resignations by many officers and men amid the security challenges facing the country, the Nigerian Army has said it will no longer tolerate loss of interest in military service or lack of promotion as the basis for discharge.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen General Farouk Yahaya, in a letter addressed to various departments, formations of the Nigerian Army and the Ministry of Defence, said service personnel leaving the service at will did not augur well for the Army.

In the letter dated December 23, 2022, signed by Brig. Gen. Oladapo Oyelade, the COAS argued that officers leaving the Army must advance cogent reasons, stressing that loss of interest in military service would no longer be accepted.

Though he acknowledged that military service was voluntary in Nigeria, the army chief noted that opting out without serving the length of years prescribed in the military was inimical to the service considering the resources and efforts that had been put into training most of the applicants, which was meant to be utilised for the benefits of the system.

Yahaya, therefore, warned that requests for discharge or retirement without cogent reasons would no longer be entertained or granted by the Discharge Board, which assesses applications.

The letter read, “Military service in Nigeria is a voluntary service. Accordingly, able-bodied men and women apply to join to serve the colour after which they apply for re-engagement or choose to voluntarily discharge. Others in the course of service decide to go on retirement or discharge before their run out date.

“Going by the NA Forecast of Events, the Discharged Board is designed to hold quarterly to afford personnel opportunities to disengage for several reasons other than completion of ROD. The Board exercise is held bi-annually first to gather appreciable numbers of applicants, who may wish to disengage, and to be treated in bulk, while also ensuring that the process is handled in a controlled and uniformed manner.

Admittedly, service in the NA is voluntary and since it’s not a conscript army, any personnel could opt to leave at different times. Conversely, considering the resources and efforts that have been put into training most of the applicants, which requires that skills and expertise acquired is utilised for the benefits of the system, opting out without serving the length prescribed in the colour is inimical to the system.

“Also, in order to ensure (that) the expertise acquired is not easily let off by the service and to recoup the investment made to the benefits of the nation, service personnel discharging at will does not augur well for the NA. However, it was observed recently that most at times soldiers come out with various excuses to go on retirement and discharge, which are not cogent enough or professional.’’

The CoAS directed commanders to educate the soldiers under their command regarding the flimsy excuses given by those leaving the service.

He added, “In (the) light of the forgoing, you are kindly requested to educate troops under command that henceforth, reasons such as loss of interest in military service will no longer be tolerated as (the) basis for discharge. This reason is to say the least lame and therefore not accepted. Personnel are expected to explain the reason behind lack of interest e.g. ‘I do not want to fight for the country again’, ‘I have not been promoted etc’, to enable the service to make necessary amendments for the betterment of the system. Accordingly, other cogent reasons could be made for discharge from service otherwise such request would not be granted.”

However, sources informed our correspondent that many of those who left the service recently did not plead loss of interest or lack of promotion in their applications as such an excuse would be summarily dismissed and the application for discharge rejected.

‘’Soldiers leaving the service are smart enough to know that claiming loss of interest as a reason for applying for discharge will not advance their applications. Even when some of them have genuinely lost interest due to various career issues, they usually presented reasons that the board found difficult to reject,’’ a former soldier disclosed.
https://punchng.com/army-jolted-by-resignations-warns-against-early-retirement/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1673066173

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Antoeni(m): 6:05am On Jan 07, 2023
It’s Quite Unfortunate That The Nigerian Army Has Been Compromised,
A Serious Overhaul Has to be carried out as a Matter of Urgency

113 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:05am On Jan 07, 2023
GOD BLESS OUR DARLING NIGERIAN ARMY.

Again,
GOD BLESS OUR GALLANT SOLDIERS over and over again.

God bless our darling soldiers.

Our soldiers need all the support they can get from the government and encouragement from the citizens.

We will win this war as a nation.

God bless our gallant soldiers as they lay their lives on the line for peace to reign in our darling nation.

crafteck:
I respect u for this picture, says a lot

Thank you sir,
A picture speaks more than a thousand words!
Dem MANNA the truth in da building.
We will keep killing them with undiluted truths on a weekly basis.

Once again, God bless our Army.

Again, God bless Our Gallant and Darling Soldiers.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Administration1: 6:06am On Jan 07, 2023
Japa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Fortruth: 6:07am On Jan 07, 2023
post=119791092:
GOD BLESS OUR NIGERIA ARMY

They are called Nigerian Army ……

You cant even drop your PR well nah?

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Auskyd(m): 6:08am On Jan 07, 2023
When dem dey die like fish, why dem no go resign? Lol

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by morikee: 6:09am On Jan 07, 2023
Wahala

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Antoeni(m): 6:09am On Jan 07, 2023
What do Expect, When The Army Authorities Are Gambling With Lives of Soldiers

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Cantonese: 6:09am On Jan 07, 2023
Na by force again?

No equipment to fight. No encouragement. No insurance, in case of loss to life and serious injury. Very poor salary. Facing terrorists with almost bare hands, while the leaders are chopping the money. No be by force again. Let them go AWOL if they are tired. After training, nothing to make the troops happy and retain them.

No be by force to continue the work.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Rekyz(m): 6:09am On Jan 07, 2023
How do I resign from NIGERIA? I've long lost interest in the country embarassed

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by nymphomaniac(m): 6:10am On Jan 07, 2023
One of Nigeria’s oldest and strongest institutions, I hope that the next administration will strengthen the military and stop the endless shedding of blood in the north.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by NAIRALANDABOKI: 6:10am On Jan 07, 2023
Pple wey don cashout..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by eagleu: 6:10am On Jan 07, 2023
Why would reasonable soldiers not resign when Nigerian army has transformed into Fulani army?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by wonder233: 6:10am On Jan 07, 2023
I remember trying so hard to join the army, wrote the exams for the NDA 53 regular course of 2001. What first struck me was how difficult the exam was.
After losing out on that, I tried again for Direct Short Service Commission on completion of my NYSC. Again, nothing.
I later got to learn I was just wasting my time, getting into the military in Nigeria as an officer had nothing to do with the exams or meeting criteria or having a genuine passion for military service. It was simply a factor of you knowing someone high up either in the political, traditional or military spheres... Most of the officers out there shouldn't even have been there, if it was based on merit or passion. It is so obvious when you look at them. I have come across officers and I almost weep. They clearly fall short of the physical, academic and personality requirements to be officers.
So long the connection factor is what determines who gets to serve in the military, incidents like these will continue

132 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by nurey(m): 6:11am On Jan 07, 2023
If dem go our daddy would recruit 50million youths more into the Army, he would feed them agbado and cassava taya grin cheesy

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by hakeem4(m): 6:11am On Jan 07, 2023
If I say I’m no longer interested in the army and you’ are trying to force me to keep serving. I’d just frustrate the system and you have no choice than to sack me grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by IkeIgboNile(m): 6:11am On Jan 07, 2023
NA isn't what it used to be back in the day and It's moral has been compromised for awhile now coupled with the worsening economy of the country, so it's not a surprise to me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Ahmed566(m): 6:12am On Jan 07, 2023
Japa people
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Pipefitter: 6:12am On Jan 07, 2023
Easy-peasy, any soldier that wants to resign should pretend to be extorting civilian while recording the incident, tag few of the influencers... Thank me later

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Ishilove: 6:12am On Jan 07, 2023
I would advise my brother to leave the army as well. You people in Nigeria are destiny wasters.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:13am On Jan 07, 2023
They’ve cashed out majorly, that’s what’s up
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Amspecial: 6:13am On Jan 07, 2023
angry

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by christianjoy(m): 6:15am On Jan 07, 2023
shocked

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by 900warriorz: 6:17am On Jan 07, 2023
Why them no go resign? grin Have you not killed enough already?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Antoeni(m): 6:17am On Jan 07, 2023
Even Though Will Know That Transmission lies on the Highway, We Can’t Afford to Recruit 50 Million Youths into the Army and Feed them with Corn Cassava Ewa & Garri ,
It’s Bala Blu

3 Likes

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Racoon(m): 6:18am On Jan 07, 2023
When the army is now filled with willful saboteurs repentant terrorists who are compromising standards while endangering the lives of others? So to serve Nigerian Army is now by force?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Lanretoye(m): 6:21am On Jan 07, 2023
Hence forth,to serve nigeria will be by force.

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by ipobarecriminals: 6:22am On Jan 07, 2023
sad
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Nobody: 6:23am On Jan 07, 2023
Nigerians are becoming wiser

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Fortruth: 6:25am On Jan 07, 2023
nymphomaniac:
One of Nigeria’s oldest and strongest institutions, I hope that the next administration will strengthen the military and stop the endless shedding of blood in the north.

Which one be one of Nigerias strongest and oldest wetin? Most of those “Generals” that dey there senior Nigeria self…..

That military destroyed the little enjoyment of Africans and continued the enslavement of Africans to EPL and La Liga countries and their likes….

Stop romanticizing on something that you never created

2 Likes

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by atobs4real(m): 6:27am On Jan 07, 2023
When there is rest of mind and surrounded my criminals; why won't their be early retirement?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

African Leaders To Withdraw Membership From ICC / Team From UK Royal College Of Defence Meets With Obasanjo At Abuja Airport. PICS / Buhari Should Stop Mocking Democracy With ‘ojuju Calabar’ Trial – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.