Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,032 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers (705 Views)

15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse And Their Side Effects / 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers / Impact And Dangers Of Overthinking On Our Mental Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by VeryDirtyPussy: 7:03am On Jan 08, 2023
15 COMMONEST DRUGS NIGERIANS ABUSE: THEIR SIDE EFFECTS AND DANGERS

Take a moment and make sure you're following me @the_beardedsina for more amazing health tweets, health contents and daily health tips.

This is from nationwide submissions. Check to see which you take

Thanks

1. DICLOFENAC

A lot of people pop these pills for pains, menstrual pains and Bone pains the so called "RHEUMATISM"

Dangers
In the long run Diclofenac use can cause:
Ulcers
Internal bleeding
Heart attack
Stroke in the Brain
Liver damage
Kidney damage

2. POSTINOR

This is now like Tomtom in people's purses and bags.
A common oral contraceptive used by sexually active women to prevent pregnancy

When misused can cause:
Abnormal menstruation
Painful menses
Bleeding
Hair loss
Headache
Increased chances of Breast cancer.

3. FELVIN

The drug is Piroxicam. It belongs to a class called NSAIDS (Just like Diclofenac)
It is used during Menstruation for Menstrual pains by a lot of women

Misuse can cause
- Ulcer
-Hypertension
-Hearing problem
-Kidney damage
-Problems with the Pancreas
-Liver damage.

4. COUGH SYRUP

You will wonder why Cough syrups are a best seller in Pharmacies, especially the ones with Codeine.
Has various constituents but lot of people take it like Fanta & mix in drinks

Some dangers:
Psychiatry problems like Hallucinations , Delusions
-Addiction
- sudden death

5. IBUPROFEN

Common pain med taken by lot of people.
Common also among elderly when they say they have "Rheumatism"

Misuse can cause
-Internal bleeding
-Hypertension
-Heart attack
-It can trigger an asthmatic attack
-Kidney failure
-Increases your risk of Abortion (controversial)

6. COFFEE

Coffee contains Caffeine it has become like daily water for some people.
Executives, students & anyone who wants to stay alert have experimented

Long term use can cause:
- hypertension
- sleep problems
Anxiety
Headache
Abnormal beating of the heart
Not safe in Pregnancy

7. TETRACYCLINE

Common one is Doxycycline a lot of people admitted to using it for 'toilet infection'(so called) and abortion

Misuse can cause:
-Liver damage
-Skin problems
-Hearing problem
It crosses the Placenta and damages the baby's bone and teeth
A No No if you're pregnant.

8. VITAMIN C

It might look like that small orange pill or sweet white pills . It is like Chewing gum for some people

Some dangers:
Excess and overdose of it can increase your chances of having a Kidney stone which can damage the Kidneys.
Especially when one has a background kidney problem.

9. PARACETAMOL

One of the most available pain killers, with 100 naira , you can get it.
Some people even use it in cooking meat to make Meat tender. so wrong

When Paracetamol is overused, it can cause:
Liver damage
Kidney damage.
Careful with paracetamol in children

10. FLAGYL

This is one of the most abused Antibiotics. People pop it like candy bars. Any small diarrhoea

Some side effects if abused
- can reduce the blood cells count
- can damage the brain and nerves
Not best safe early in Pregnancy
controversial link to Cancer in Animals.

11. ALABUKUN powder contains aspirin and caffeine. A lot use it for pain relief , especially bricklayers and heavy duty workers

Some Dangers if abused:
-Ulcers
-Bleeding
-Liver damage
-Kidney damage
Heart attack
Hypertension.
Abuse..one can even bleed to death

12. AMPICLOX

It contains Ampicillin and Cloxacillin. It is now a drug people run to 'flush' their system after sex, abortion, treat so called Toilet infections

Dangers
Dangerous in people with penicillin allergy.(Bad reactions)
- Seizures
Damage the muscles
Kidney problems.

13. CYPROHEPTADINE

Common brand is Cypri Gold. People have abused it because it can stimulate appetite, in a bid to gain weight.

Dangers
Can affect blood cells
Damage the liver
Cause poor sleep
Abnormal hand shaking
Ringing in ears
Mess your menses up
Low blood pressure.

14. LEXOTHAN

One of the most abused drugs by Nigerians in a bid to get good sleep. It sedates

Dangers of abuse
It can be addictive
Dizziness and memory problem,
Reduce libido,
Liver damage,
Stopping it suddenly after long abuse is also dangerous (See a Doctor to guide you )

15. TRAMADOL

Tramadol is meant to be a tightly regulated drug but sadly in Nigeria even with 50 naira you can get it on the streets

_Dangers..
Addiction can cut off your breathing
Seizures
Seeing things not there, Headache, Anxiety.

Please, be careful!!!

HEALTH IS WEALTH

***Copied***

1 Like

Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by DispatcherLagos: 7:07am On Jan 08, 2023
Very educating
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by JASONjnr(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2023
This is educational and would make alota sense if the mods would Push the topic to the front-page...
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by Kaybee7000(m): 7:41am On Jan 08, 2023
educative!!! kudos chief
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by eliyke(m): 7:50am On Jan 08, 2023
Very educative post,bt mod no go c dis one,na Alex report nd ahnie nonsense post Dem go dey push....Abeg op what of dis one?

Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by VeryDirtyPussy: 8:10am On Jan 08, 2023
eliyke:
Very educative post,bt mod no go c dis one,na Alex report nd ahnie nonsense post Dem go dey push....Abeg op what of dis one?
I believe this one was manufactured in Onitsha..
The name itself shows danger..
Stay away from it if you have been taking it sir.
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by ahnie: 9:54am On Jan 08, 2023
eliyke:
I won't be surprised if you're not a wizard.i m somewheres living my life n minding my business, you're here keeping grudges against me.na your type dey kill people wey better pass you.

M I the mod that refused pushing your lame topic to front page?
Pls consider this my replying you as the greatest achievement of your pint life.
Do not expect any response from me
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by Abuventure: 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2023
That of vitamin C is lie. It's a water soluble vitamin. Which means it it dissolved by water thereby imposing no risk to the body
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by charlesdinho7(m): 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2023
GOD bless you with this great piece. i like tramadol but i am not addicted to it. i stopped taking it 5 years ago. tramadol is for the rich now, quite expensive
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by titigenius: 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2023
There are times when I take up 8 tablets of paracetamol after a days work, hope I'm safe?
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by cayorday89(m): 5:47am On Jan 11, 2023
Op, na which pharmacist or chemist offend you and you decide to revenge because these are the most consumed drugs been consumed on a daily.

On a more serious note, this is an eye opener that the little things we overlook can have massive effect on our health even as they are meant to serve as a solution when consumed moderately. Apart from Vit C which I take regularly, others are practically non-existent for me or at most once in a year thing for paracetamol in form of panadol only when I have persistent headache even after resting.
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by cayorday89(m): 5:51am On Jan 11, 2023
titigenius:
There are times when I take up 8 tablets of paracetamol after a days work, hope I'm safe?
Care to share, what sort of work do you engage in that will make you take such quantity. Please, help your future self and partner by staying away from it.
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by titigenius: 10:41pm On Jan 11, 2023
cayorday89:

Care to share, what sort of work do you engage in that will make you take such quantity. Please, help your future self and partner by staying away from it.
I mould interlock stones
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by cayorday89(m): 8:27am On Jan 12, 2023
titigenius:

I mould interlock stones
It's quite a tough job, but please reduce the drug overdose use and rather take rests for at least two days out of the week including Sundays which I believe you won't go to work so as to relax your body.
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by titigenius: 1:49pm On Jan 12, 2023
cayorday89:

It's quite a tough job, but please reduce the drug overdose use and rather take rests for at least two days out of the week including Sundays which I believe you won't go to work so as to relax your body.
Thanks, I'll try to follow up on your advice

1 Like

Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by Akposkiz: 1:53pm On Jan 12, 2023
Thanks for the info.
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by Uyi168: 2:20pm On Jan 12, 2023
titigenius:
8tabs can not be safe.

pcm overdose is known to cause acute liver failure.

u better stop
Re: 15 Commonest Drugs Nigerians Abuse: Their Side Effects And Dangers by titigenius: 7:22pm On Jan 12, 2023
Uyi168:
8tabs can not be safe.

pcm overdose is known to cause acute liver failure.

u better stop
I will try. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Weight Loss / How To Lose Pregnancy Weight Fast / Real And Genuine Investment Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.