Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,459 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? (890 Views)

List Of Tribes In Rivers State Nigeria / 6 Reasons Why Other Tribes Always Respect Igbos / Top 4 Richest Tribes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Snakedoctor1: 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2023
I am wondering why many Igbos complain of being discriminated against especially in the northern part of Nigerian between north central, Abuja and the far north.

Do you have such experience ? Pls politics should be out of this.
Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Naira20: 1:11pm On Jan 08, 2023
It's not about ibos.
We need a Nigeria where all Nigerians can be proud of.

Peter Obi has consistently said:
Show me where.one tribe buys bread cheaper than the other.

There are only two tribes in Nigeria:
The Rich and the Poor.

The tribe that has been marginalized is the Poor Tribe

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Undisputed13: 1:20pm On Jan 08, 2023
See the ibo people are the problem of them self, they like segregation and they don't understand the power behind unity. An ibo man from ebonyi will categorically tell you he is a different person from that of Anambra and they don't do things together,with that being established please how would you even know who is the real ibo and the fake one? That's number one problem.
Have you ever seen a Kano man telling a Katsina man that their Hausa are two separate people?

With the diverse language in Kaduna they all consider themselves to be northeners and they will unit and stand for one thing.

The ibos crying fowl should check within that's where their problems lie. It's only the ibo that will distance themself from someone who is in the same state with them and act totally towards themselves. This kind of mindset will never be allowed in the majority gathering it's as simple.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2023
Minorities across all parts of Nigeria are the most discriminated. To the three major ethnic groups, they are basically stepping stones.

Even within the minorities, we have minorities who are majorities and you can only imagine the depth of this regressive suffering.
Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Snakedoctor1: 5:31pm On Jan 08, 2023
LightOnScams:
Minorities across all parts of Nigeria are the most discriminated. To the three major ethnic groups, they are basically stepping stones.

Even within the minorities, we have minorities who are majorities and you can only imagine the depth of this regressive suffering.

It's seems there's a raving prejudice against the Igbo man in a cosmopolitan community. It's like anti semitism in Europe and elsewhere. Stereotype, prejudice predicated on popular opinion about criminality, greed and sabotage. A manager in Abuja once told me that they once decided that an igbo man would not lead a sensitive sector of their company.
That's what they are saying not political narginalisation

3 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Armaggedon: 6:03pm On Jan 08, 2023
hm
Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2023
I will start with something that happened in an organization I used to work for. For context, there are people of every background in Nigeria in the organisation. Mostly Southerners and a few Northerners. There had been cases in the past where people of other ethnic groups (not Igbo) had either stolen/embezzled the organisation's funds, or used their position within the organization to give lucrative jobs to people from their own ethnic groups. When this happens and we find out, we address it without dragging the offender's ethnic group into it.

Well, during my last year in the organization, an Igbo man was the Head, and he embezzled funds (something non-Igbos had done in the past). When the news broke, I immediately became very uncomfortable because from experience, I knew what was going to happen. I knew all of us Igbos were going to be dragged, and people would take the opportunity to say unsavoury things about Igbo people. Not just Nnamdi who stole money.

I wasn't wrong. It didn't take time before the comments started flooding in. "Igbo man. Igbo people. This is why an Igbo man will never rule this country. It is always them. Thieves. It is always them."

I was in this organization for 8 years. I had seen Yorubas and Edos and Akwa Ibom people steal money and abuse their office. There were actually more cases of Yorubas doing that sort of thing in that organization within the time I was there. Not once did anyone say a Yoruba will never rule Nigeria again because some of them that dipped hand into the organization's account. One Igbo man did it and the WhatsApp group caught fire with all sorts of ethnically-charged comments.

Here's the thing. Tribalism is a pastime in Nigeria and all of us, Igbos and non-Igbos done collect. But there's something different about the antagonism that most Nigerians harbour towards Igbo people. We may try and deny it and claim that Igbos are being overly dramatic, but in doing that we'd be like the white people in America who claim that racism is over and dead, and that black people are just being whiny.

Perhaps, the antagonism stems from the first coup and the scare of Igbo domination that was propagated in that general period. Perhaps it stems from the stereotyped Igbo traits of competitiveness, aggressive go-getter attitude, a certain level of crassness and loudness, which Igbo people were said to carry with them as they left their region and moved into the region of their Nigerian neighbours. Perhaps its just sheer jealousy towards people who made much out of very little.

Whatever it is, dislike for the Igbo is a whole other level of tribalism, and I make bold to say that the Igbo are easily the most despised ethnic group in Nigeria. Even with the plague of killer herdsmen, Nigerians in general no hate Fulani reach the way they hate Igbos. I mean, while herdsmen were sweeping through the Southwest and other parts of the South, people like Adeyinka Grandson were still presenting the Igbo as the biggest existential threat to Yorubaland. People went as far as ignoring glaring evidence and claimed that it was Igbos, rather than the Fulani, who kidnapped Olú Falae.

Years ago,I saw videos made by some Northerners purporting that Igbo people were actually the brain behind Boko Haram. That idea was diffusing through the alleys of social media many years ago, but I don't think anyone is still spreading it today. The truth has become too plain to be ignored or twisted.

But the fact remains that the Igbos are everyone's go-to fall guy.

Even something like misogynism has, for some reason, become synonymous with Igbo men. When the most jaw-dropping cases of misogynistic behaviour I have seen in this my life came from I**** men. (I no wan' mention the ethnic group - I no get strength for fight.)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2023
Snakedoctor1:

It's seems there's a raving prejudice against the Igbo man in a cosmopolitan community. It's like anti semitism in Europe and elsewhere. Stereotype, prejudice predicated on popular opinion about criminality, greed and sabotage. A manager in Abuja once told me that they once decided that an igbo man would not lead a sensitive sector of their company.
That's what they are saying not political narginalisation

Sadly, that seems to be the case to some extent. We need to ask ourselves why.
Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Fejoku: 6:14pm On Jan 16, 2023
RedboneSmith:
I will start with something that happened in an organization I used to work for. For context, there are people of every background in Nigeria in the organisation. Mostly Southerners and a few Northerners. There had been cases in the past where people of other ethnic groups (not Igbo) had either stolen/embezzled the organisation's funds, or used their position within the organization to give lucrative jobs to people from their own ethnic groups. When this happens and we find out, we address it without dragging the offender's ethnic group into it.

Well, during my last year in the organization, an Igbo man was the Head, and he embezzled funds (something non-Igbos had done in the past). When the news broke, I immediately became very uncomfortable because from experience, I knew what was going to happen. I knew all of us Igbos were going to be dragged, and people would take the opportunity to say unsavoury things about Igbo people. Not just Nnamdi who stole money.

I wasn't wrong. It didn't take time before the comments started flooding in. "Igbo man. Igbo people. This is why an Igbo man will never rule this country. It is always them. Thieves. It is always them."

I was in this organization for 8 years. I had seen Yorubas and Edos and Akwa Ibom people steal money and abuse their office. There were actually more cases of Yorubas doing that sort of thing in that organization within the time I was there. Not once did anyone say a Yoruba will never rule Nigeria again because some of them that dipped hand into the organization's account. One Igbo man did it and the WhatsApp group caught fire with all sorts of ethnically-charged comments.

Here's the thing. Tribalism is a pastime in Nigeria and all of us, Igbos and non-Igbos done collect. But there's something different about the antagonism that most Nigerians harbour towards Igbo people. We may try and deny it and claim that Igbos are being overly dramatic, but in doing that we'd be like the white people in America who claim that racism is over and dead, and that black people are just being whiny.

Perhaps, the antagonism stems from the first coup and the scare of Igbo domination that was propagated in that general period. Perhaps it stems from the stereotyped Igbo traits of competitiveness, aggressive go-getter attitude, a certain level of crassness and loudness, which Igbo people were said to carry with them as they left their region and moved into the region of their Nigerian neighbours. Perhaps its just sheer jealousy towards people who made much out of very little.

Whatever it is, dislike for the Igbo is a whole other level of tribalism, and I make bold to say that the Igbo are easily the most despised ethnic group in Nigeria. Even with the plague of killer herdsmen, Nigerians in general no hate Fulani reach the way they hate Igbos. I mean, while herdsmen were sweeping through the Southwest and other parts of the South, people like Adeyinka Grandson were still presenting the Igbo as the biggest existential threat to Yorubaland. People went as far as ignoring glaring evidence and claimed that it was Igbos, rather than the Fulani, who kidnapped Olú Falae.

Years ago,I saw videos made by some Northerners purporting that Igbo people were actually the brain behind Boko Haram. That idea was diffusing through the alleys of social media many years ago, but I don't think anyone is still spreading it today. The truth has become too plain to be ignored or twisted.

Even something like misogynism has, for some reason, become synonymous with Igbo men. When the most jaw-dropping cases of misogynistic behaviour I have seen in this my life came from I**** men. (I no wan' mention the ethnic group - I no get strength for fight.)
You captured it succinctly. I couldn't have written it any better. The problem is that most Nigerians don't even see it as a problem. The latent hatred flows easily.
Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Snakedoctor1: 7:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Absolutely. That of work place politics of victimisation is the most annoying.
An Igbo man is still facing the sin of another recalcitrant Igbo man who stole some money in an organisation. After expelling the erring guy, the other guy was tactically deprived of privileges (they are only remaining 2 igbos there). And tongues continued to wag, when billions had been stollen by other tribes. Some of them even managed to escape being caught because of a subtle sacred cow status foisted on them by the people at the helm. The boss would treat other tribes with kid gloves but if this Igbo guy kills a fly, heaven falls immediately.

It is very annoying. And like racism, everyone opens his teeth, but deep inside their heart lies unmitigated fury against Igbo colleagues.

3 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by jamesversion: 6:19pm On Jan 27, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Nigerians seem to love to despise Igbos for no reason.

Most people that hate or despise the Igbos have never been undone by Igbos before, but it is just a default setting of Nigerians.

Most ethnic groups who could actually collapse into the Igbo society can never contemplate doing so because nobody wants to be in the "ugly" situation the Igbos find themselves.

Just Imagine being hated and despised when having not done anything hateful or despicable, simply because you're Igbo. Nah, nobody has that strength.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Suffer More Discrimination Than Other Tribes in Nigeria ? by Omoka1999: 7:38pm On Apr 03, 2023
You ibo here making noise should keep quiet.una don invite ur ipob to Lagos.? Leave ur illusion zone and ask reasonable question

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Essay Contest: What Does It Take To Be Truly Nigerian! Cash Prizes / Before Securing Niger Delta, Yaradua Should Secure The Killers Of The North / Humanitarian Aid Workers Or Plain Nuisances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.