Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,920 members, 7,821,221 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? (775 Views)

Digital And Tech Skills To Learn In 2022 / What Back End Language Should I Learn In 2020 ? / How Did U Make Your First Money From Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by Devdevdev(f): 1:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
This thread was created as a direct question to Ayinke93, but anyone else who wants to contribute can.

What inspired this question is the quote below, especially the bolded:

Ayinke93:

This is a very solid thread and the op couldn't have written it better. To add, I'll recommend searching for internships once you are a bit proficient with html, CSS and JavaScript. Internships will open your eyes to what you'll see in a real work environment, something you really can't get straight out of an Udemy course. I left my full time job to intern around July this year as a python dev, wrote my first line of html around August, and my knowledge of React now is a way above beginner level at this stage and I'm considering starting to apply to real dev jobs by January. That's barely 5 months into my web development journey. That's the level of speed and growth internships will afford you. I know it's not easy to get internships, but just keep searching.
Also, practice everyday. code everyday like a mad person. Trust me it'll pay off. And side note, if you are learning react, checkout net ninja on Udemy. I think that's easily the best react course on the internet and trust me, I've tried quite a good number.
Good luck everyone.

Personally, I've also reached a level of proficiency in html, css, JavaScript, typescript and react. I've also learned complex state management with Redux(RTK), and I'm currently focused on building projects to add to my portfolio. I'm currently in my 4th month of learning. Everyday I make sure to add more knowledge to my reservoir as well as to better my skills. I devote a minimum of 12 hours daily learning to code.

During this period of learning, I've consumed courses, read documentation, practiced along on complex projects and studied other people's codes.

My question is, what exactly do the internships teach that I won't learn on my own, besides the experience of working with people?

Are the codes in companies different from all the codes I've seen? Is the logic behind the functionality of their apps more advanced than anything I've seen? Are they using a different typescript, react or redux different from the ones I've been learning. This is a serious question and I would appreciate answers.

I understand an internship can get your foot in the door and give you working experience but that's different from the question in asking.
Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by jesmond3945: 6:31pm On Jan 11, 2023
Devdevdev:
This thread was created as a direct question to Ayinke93, but anyone else who wants to contribute can.

Personally, I've also reached a level of proficiency in html, css, JavaScript, typescript and react. I've also learned complex state management with Redux(RTK), and I'm currently focused on building projects to add to my portfolio. I'm currently in my 4th month of learning. Everyday I make sure to add more knowledge to my reservoir as well as to better my skills. I devote a minimum of 12 hours daily learning to code.

During this period of learning, I've consumed courses, read documentation, practiced along on complex projects and studied other people's codes.

My question is, what exactly do the internships teach that I won't learn on my own, besides the experience of working with people?

Are the codes in companies different from all the codes I've seen? Is the logic behind the functionality of their apps more advanced than anything I've seen? Are they using a different typescript, react or redux different from the ones I've been learning. This is a serious question and I would appreciate answers.

I understand an internship can get your foot in the door and give you working experience but that's different from the question in asking.

internship will expose you to problems that are prevalent in the real world and the techniques to solve them. Nobody will sit you down as intern and be teaching you like a schoolkid, they would give you tasks, is your job to find how to tackle them and bring results. These technologies are there to solve problems. Building personal projects you are not actually solving real world problems for today's business, you are solving your own problems. Thats why freelancing is very good. Are you freelancing or volunteering?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by Devdevdev(f): 7:16pm On Jan 11, 2023
jesmond3945:
internship will expose you to problems that are prevalent in the real world and the techniques to solve them. Nobody will sit you down as intern and be teaching you like a schoolkid, they would give you tasks, is your job to find how to tackle them and bring results. These technologies are there to solve problems. Building personal projects you are not actually solving real world problems for today's business, you are solving your own problems. Thats why freelancing is very good. Are you freelancing or volunteering?

Give me examples of these sorts of "real world" problems.

I wrote my first "Hello world" in September. I am still learning. I have not reached the level to freelance or apply for a job. Plus I am a ruthless self critic and will only consider myself ready when I can build or replicate any application I can think of using the technologies I have learned. That is why I am asking this question so I can know other areas to channel my learning.

1 Like

Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by jesmond3945: 8:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
Devdevdev:

Give me examples of these sorts of "real world" problems.

I wrote my first "Hello world" in September. I am still learning. I have not reached the level to freelance or apply for a job. Plus I am a ruthless self critic and will only consider myself ready when I can build or replicate any application I can think of using the technologies I have learned. That is why I am asking this question so I can know other areas to channel my learning.

learn with problems unless you want to continue in the tutorial hell, an unending loop. Go to any freelance website look at the kind of problems they post, try and solve them with the tools you learnt. Use those solutions as your portfolio. Then you are ready to apply for jobs

look at examples I saw on a freelance site

Hi Developers
I am looking to develop a modern website to manage tickets and files with certain workflow.
Complete website including database, web services and front-end needs to be developed
I am flexible on technology selection as long as website is scalable and can handle good amount of transactions.

i have 50 screens in Figma need to convert to react.js. If u have node.js skills also will be advantage

A Website hosted on AWS cloud to Display an Employee History in an Organization.

ReadOnly:

User should be able to search for Employee Work History Through the UI portal

The details should include:

Name:

Photo:

Role:

Unique Employee Id:

email:

hire data:

total tenure:

Job type:

Current Institution:

Separate tab to show complete Work History:

Admin:

Admin should be able to add the Employee data to the database through UI

Employee:

Only search the data

2 Likes

Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by Devdevdev(f): 9:59pm On Jan 11, 2023
jesmond3945:
learn with problems unless you want to continue in the tutorial hell, an unending loop. Go to any freelance website look at the kind of problems they post, try and solve them with the tools you learnt. Use those solutions as your portfolio. Then you are ready to apply for jobs

look at examples I saw on a freelance site

Hi Developers
I am looking to develop a modern website to manage tickets and files with certain workflow.
Complete website including database, web services and front-end needs to be developed
I am flexible on technology selection as long as website is scalable and can handle good amount of transactions.

i have 50 screens in Figma need to convert to react.js. If u have node.js skills also will be advantage

A Website hosted on AWS cloud to Display an Employee History in an Organization.

ReadOnly:

User should be able to search for Employee Work History Through the UI portal

The details should include:

Name:

Photo:

Role:

Unique Employee Id:

email:

hire data:

total tenure:

Job type:

Current Institution:

Separate tab to show complete Work History:

Admin:

Admin should be able to add the Employee data to the database through UI

Employee:

Only search the data

Thanks for taking your time to post this. Some of the problems look interesting.

I can convert any Figma design to code using reactjs. The search filter task seems like something I would enjoy doing.

I don't know Nodejs or AWS/azure/cloud technology for now.
Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by jesmond3945: 11:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
Devdevdev:

Thanks for taking your time to post this. Some of the problems look interesting.

I can convert any Figma design to code using reactjs. The search filter task seems like something I would enjoy doing.

I don't know Nodejs or AWS/azure/cloud technology for now.
yea that means you are good to go.
Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:14pm On Jan 14, 2023
Most of the things in things you're learning in those tutorial hell you won't use when you join an organization.

Most orgs already have starter files or scaffolds, conventions that you'll work with so they may frown at some the new things you learnt in the tutorials except on few occasions you're asked to do some deep work. I write as backend dev.

With the scaffolds, you just have to read the codes and tweak as the case may be to new projects. That way you're *5 ahead of your peers yet to get a place of work or internship.

You'll get the opportunity to collaborate with those ahead of you (junior/mid/senior). Theses folks have different backgrounds and have accumulated years of experience so bugs that may take you days/weeks to fix can be done in the space of 5 mins. when you ask your senior. Again you're *5 times ahead of your peers.

Also discipline and the skill of collaborating with others. Not forget effective listening and communication.

Lastly working with an organization will expose you to different processes of development. Depending on your place of work, you'll spend time during the process of dev. thinking about steps/algorithm, fixing bugs, removing or adjusting features that your boss could identify or clients doesn't want as the case maybe. These would definitely lead to faster development and along the line, you'll encounter many problems you'll think you couldn't solve months before your internship or junior developer job.

All the above you won't get in a tutorial or course and they're necessity to be a successful dev.

3 Likes

Re: Ayinke93, What Did U Learn In Ur React Internship That U Couldn't On Your Own? by justiniyke29: 10:22am On Jan 21, 2023
Devdevdev:

Internship exposes you to real world problems, you are given a task and time frame to deliver. Forget what they will say no senior dev will sit you down and explain stuffs to you, the best you will get is a hint or an abstract idea.
Also you will get exposed to production level codes, test softwares like jest etc, learn how to work smart, reuse components, develop custom react hooks and many more.
Sure you can learn all these on your own but not as fast as if in the company of other developers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Resources To Learn C# / Help Needed Urgently On How To Create A Search Script / Maple 13

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.