Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,438 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra (14330 Views)

UAE Imposes Visa Ban On Nigerians, Rejects Applications / $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? / Lagos Airport: Immigration Imposes $90 Visa-on-arrival Charge On Foreigners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by frankoben(m): 9:40am On Jan 14, 2023
And I know lots of Ghanaians here in Nigeria who sell illicit gin (Ogogoro) and no authority asks them to pay a dime for anything whatsoever. Even the notorious agberos who are eternal thrift collectors never seem to look their way. Ghanaians seem to harbour this mortal grudge against Nigerians. Poor them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by goody234: 9:44am On Jan 14, 2023
Aonkuuse:
Toh, no be me carry unah go there. Nigerians and their entitlement mentality. The policy is not targeted at Nigerians only. They think it is in Nigeria where they play blame games with everything. If they are not okay with the policy, they should quietly leave.

Don't mind them acting like children dense ppl look at the politicians nigerians are about to elect ...they can't talk properly ,they can't walk properly ...they are not serious
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by dannydee75(m): 9:47am On Jan 14, 2023
They come back home all of u there.... Let us fight together to build a better nigeria
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by chudez0147(m): 10:02am On Jan 14, 2023
GLeesMODEL:
More
I greet you Mr Alex. Happy new year...
Please use this opportunity to publish my story I told you about my stay in Ghana.
I've still not gotten back my properties from the Ghana police. Thank you sir!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by staga: 10:06am On Jan 14, 2023
sholatech:
First, this is not targeted at Nigerians at all. It had been announced for over three years now that all Non -Citizen must have the card. Britons, Americans, Ivorian Nationals etc all must pass thru that process. It's a law passed many years back and many counties have similar policies. Nigeria made our own NIN easy and cheap for foreigners

Thank you. When I did mine in 2019 during my stay there, I paid for myself and family. All foreigners (not just Nigerians) are required to pay for the card at the National Identification Authority headquarters. The staff were very professional and friendly.

I don't know what people gain by spreading lies.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by onatisi(m): 10:07am On Jan 14, 2023
thank you for clarifying, there is no way they can charge for sim registration because telecoms are privately owned BUT GHANA CARD FOR FOREIGNERS ARE CHARGED AT $120 AND THIS HAS BEEN THE CASE SINCE LAST YEAR, IT IS NOTHING NEW. and you don't even have to pay in dollars, you pay the cedis equivalent, I remember early last year some paid like 500ghana cedis when the rate was still low to dollars but i paid 800ghana cedis because by then the fx rate was rising. so people should please stop spreading negative news.

SIM REGISTRATION IS FREE BUT GHANA CARD FOR FOREIGNERS ISNT FREE, IT HAS BEEN 120 DOLLARS FOR MONTHS , SINCE EARLY LAST YEAR

sholatech:
First, this is not targeted at Nigerians at all. It had been announced for over three years now that all Non -Citizen must have the card. Britons, Americans, Ivorian Nationals etc all must pass thru that process. It's a law passed many years back and many counties have similar policies. Nigeria made our own NIN easy and cheap for foreigners

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Minjim: 10:14am On Jan 14, 2023
There is no problem here. Just get a Ghanaian friend I D and use it to register your sim.

How difficult is that ?
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by MondayOsunbor(m): 10:20am On Jan 14, 2023
sholatech:

to get NIN is 120 dollars
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Allisgud: 10:48am On Jan 14, 2023
Come back and vote for obi
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by brandsoncharlie: 11:22am On Jan 14, 2023
Starzo:

Mumu!.there's are over 500k ghanaians living in Nigeria According to official statistics

Hundreds of thousands of cameroonians of not millions are scattered across enugu,akwa Ibom,calabar, Adamawa

Togolese, Lebanese and those from Niger are roaming the streets of Nigeria.

And I tell you that 85% of Nigerians are not aware of the numbers of foreigners living in this country.

Nigerians don't care about these numbers cuz unlike some envious, inferiority complex ravaged village champions, we don't see foreigners from other countries living in Nigeria as an accomplishment.

Go and tell your father he’s a mumu.
Until you learn how to engage me without insult stop quoting me.
Product of Bad parenting .
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Tobianojoel(m): 11:37am On Jan 14, 2023
Well, this simple so is to collect a SIM card from a Ghanaian friend or probably make him/her register twice.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Mccullum: 11:41am On Jan 14, 2023
I blame Nigerian government that is not utilizing her own NIN to generate revenue from foreigners, even the NIN has no differences to indicate foreigners or Nigerian.

I don't know how a country will make everything cheap and continuous strategic policies formulation error and shortsightedness.

If it's not easy for Nigerians in Ghana, they can move to another country, in Gabon if any foreigner doesn't have working permit, de no born am well to start working.

No foreigners can dictate to government of any country on how to generate revenue, their will reply that country with reciprocity on behalf of their citizens.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Starzo: 12:12pm On Jan 14, 2023
brandsoncharlie:

Go and tell your father he’s a mumu.
Until you learn how to engage me without insult stop quoting me.
Product of Bad parenting .
I can never be polite to ignorant fools constantly trying to ridicule my country with false statistics

Emancipate yourself from hatred and ignorance and maybe just then you'll get a civilized response from me

As for now, you get what you deserve

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by kafeii123: 12:39pm On Jan 14, 2023
Chigold101:

Do none citizens in Nigeria obtain NIN?

NIN is only for Nigerians.

So get your fact right.

Foreigners use their international passport or residence permit for their identification
actually..yes, there are many non-nigerians (niger...Chad ... Cameroon, Benin, Mali and even Ghanians) who have our NIN and have been able to open bank accounts and enjoy Nigeria institution's services with it.

Our economy has been mismanaged to the point where government officials now do treasonous and non-patriotic things when given small incentives. And if One official refuses to play ball, another one will not even think it twice.... that's where we are now
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Nobodysboo(m): 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2023
See finish
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by buffox: 1:15pm On Jan 14, 2023
Not true. The card is called the "Non-Citizen card" and applies to all foreigners in the country trying to access services - not just Nigerians.

GLeesMODEL:
Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registration

Nigerians resident in Ghana have accused Accra of deliberately exploiting and marginalizing them, urging the Nigerian ministry of foreign affairs, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM and other relevant agencies to intervene.

They said the government in Ghana has singled out Nigerians, estimated to make up the 80 percent of foreigners in Ghana as the only revenue generation means to fund its 240 million dollars.

It is estimated that about five million Nigerians are living in Ghana, including those studying in the country.

A Nigerian resident who does not want his name mentioned accused Ghana of imposing a $120 fee on all Nigerians to obtain Ghana national identification card which will enable them to among other things register their SIM cards in order to have access to telephone communication.

"Ghana government has issues order to block all telephone lines, mobile phones, businesses mainly belonging to Nigerians if they fail to pay 120 dollars.

"Many Nigerians can no longer access their families, loved ones and carry their daily activities and businesses through their mobile phone lines, making life difficult for Nigerians with hatred.

"Most Nigerian who have their Nigerian passport and ECOWAS pasport were denied rights to use their national identity to register their mobile phone lines, even those who have Ghana residents permit with Nigeria passport were also denied access to mobile phone line unless they pay 120 dollars", Jackson alleged.

He listed Britain, America, China, Turkey, Dubai, Egypt, Morocco among others as countries that recognize Nigerian passport as an ID to access mobile telephone line, wondering why the neighbouring Ghana has targeted Nigerians for exploitation.

While stating that the identification card is free for Ghana nationals, the Nigerian alleged that the communication giant, MTN has sued Ghana Government over the obnoxious policy which has cost it at least one million subscribers since the policy was introduced.

Ghana government he said Imposes on average Nigerian half a million Naira charge as fee to process residence permit for one year to officially operate business and live in the country.

He said a petition has been submitted to the Nigerian Senate for appropriate action.

All efforts to reach Ghana's High Commission in Abuja for a comment as at the moment of this report proved abortive.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by alizma: 1:34pm On Jan 14, 2023
Definitely the authorities didn't implement the policy without notice but as usual, out people like to wait till the last minute.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by sholatech(m): 2:02pm On Jan 14, 2023
Chigold101:

Do none citizens in Nigeria obtain NIN?

NIN is only for Nigerians.

So get your fact right.

Foreigners use their international passport or residence permit for their identification

I dont need to cross-check a fact you can easily confirm yourself from NCC and NIMC website. We have expatriates in our offices and they all must have NIN to have financial services and access Government agencies while working/living in Nigeria. NIN is not only for identification- NIN is required just like Ghana to operate a phone number/sim in Nigeria if you are residing in Nigeria and not just a tourist. Section D on this NCC website clarifies this further: https://consumer.ncc.gov.ng/information-education/faqs/44-sim-and-nin-integration
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by frog12: 2:48pm On Jan 14, 2023
ghana government is one of the most strictest government in the world. they like to impose their problems on others. and dem go pronounce work as werk, and still think they are right.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Parrot69: 3:28pm On Jan 14, 2023
peepydelano:
The “Ghana must go”thing still dy pain them. They always use every opportunity at their advantage to attack Nigerians but they copy everything about Nigeria and can’t survive on their own. Na inferiority complex dy worry dem. Country wey no big reach Kano dy wan rub shoulders smh

It's true about the Ghana Must Go saga in the 70s' but the issue with this new generation Ghanaians frown about is the mentality behind the referencing "Baggco sack" on the incidence.
Secondly, how our Nollywood cinema/ Nigerians has made it a popular brand while referring their country"s name which makes them even more pained & belittled the more. Believe me this is the only issue we have with them.
So anytime they watch our movies or hear us talk about those Sacs, they see it as a derogatory...like we have the issues with them still.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2023
Parrot69:

It's true about the Ghana Must Go saga in the 70s' but the issue with this new generation Ghanaians frown about is the mentality behind the referencing "Baggco sack" on the incidence.
Secondly, how our Nollywood cinema/ Nigerians has made it a popular brand while referring their country"s name which makes them even more pained & belittled the more. Believe me this is the only issue we have with them.
So anytime they watch our movies or hear us talk about those Sacs, they see it as a derogatory...like we have the issues with them still.
But we are used to it, I bet even Ghanaians refers to the sac as ghanamustgo too grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Parrot69: 3:45pm On Jan 14, 2023
peepydelano:
But we are used to it, I bet even Ghanaians refers to the sac as ghanamustgo too grin
I don't think so.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by zoedew: 4:14pm On Jan 14, 2023
SMART GHANAIANS! USE WHAT YOU HAVE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT!
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by ican2020: 5:00pm On Jan 14, 2023
Ghana a backward country

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Fearyourcreator: 5:41pm On Jan 14, 2023
Aonkuuse:
Toh, no be me carry unah go there. Nigerians and their entitlement mentality. The policy is not targeted at Nigerians only. They think it is in Nigeria where they play blame games with everything. If they are not okay with the policy, they should quietly leave.
Lolz
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Konquest: 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2023
GLeesMODEL:
Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registration

Nigerians resident in Ghana have accused Accra of deliberately exploiting and marginalizing them, urging the Nigerian ministry of foreign affairs, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM and other relevant agencies to intervene.

They said the government in Ghana has singled out Nigerians, estimated to make up the 80 percent of foreigners in Ghana as the only revenue generation means to fund its 240 million dollars.

It is estimated that about five million Nigerians are living in Ghana, including those studying in the country.

A Nigerian resident who does not want his name mentioned accused Ghana of imposing a $120 fee on all Nigerians to obtain Ghana national identification card which will enable them to among other things register their SIM cards in order to have access to telephone communication.

"Ghana government has issues order to block all telephone lines, mobile phones, businesses mainly belonging to Nigerians if they fail to pay 120 dollars.

"Many Nigerians can no longer access their families, loved ones and carry their daily activities and businesses through their mobile phone lines, making life difficult for Nigerians with hatred.

"Most Nigerian who have their Nigerian passport and ECOWAS pasport were denied rights to use their national identity to register their mobile phone lines, even those who have Ghana residents permit with Nigeria passport were also denied access to mobile phone line unless they pay 120 dollars", Jackson alleged.

He listed Britain, America, China, Turkey, Dubai, Egypt, Morocco among others as countries that recognize Nigerian passport as an ID to access mobile telephone line, wondering why the neighbouring Ghana has targeted Nigerians for exploitation.

While stating that the identification card is free for Ghana nationals, the Nigerian alleged that the communication giant, MTN has sued Ghana Government over the obnoxious policy which has cost it at least one million subscribers since the policy was introduced.

Ghana government he said Imposes on average Nigerian half a million Naira charge as fee to process residence permit for one year to officially operate business and live in the country.

He said a petition has been submitted to the Nigerian Senate for appropriate action.

All efforts to reach Ghana's High Commission in Abuja for a comment as at the moment of this report proved abortive.
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Konquest: 10:39pm On Jan 14, 2023
sholatech:
True that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by Omodua(m): 10:55pm On Jan 14, 2023
GLeesMODEL:

Enoughof Ghana effrontery. It's high time Nigeria reacts to her unfriendly attitude towards Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra by jmichael259(m): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2023
Stop complaining, feel free to relocate. Rwanda, Gambia etc. There's a long list of english speaking african countries if language is a barrier. Except those currently schooling or operating physical business, i see no reason to stay put in a place that doesn't give you joy.
Why complain so much if it's a One time payment especially since it's been allegedly announced years ago? I got my NIN and BVN around 2015, 2016. PVC in 2018 without stress and get emblems as the year starts to render traffic agents and touts useless should they accost my vehicle. I love peace of mind so, i keep wondering, Why do some Nigerians like to stress issues and constitute nuisance instead of following due process at the right time?
The world around you will not be changed for you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can One Be A Millionaire With Doing Menial Jobs In Germany? / Airports Only 57% Ready For Flights Resumption / Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.