Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Puzzle of the day - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Puzzle of the day (5460 Views)

Can You Solve GCHQ Xmas Puzzle? / Sorting List Of Numbers And Strings: Simple Puzzle / An Insomniac's Puzzle For Programmers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Puzzle of the day by member479760: 7:29pm On Oct 12, 2011
Not too many guys here! tongue
Re: Puzzle of the day by MMM2(m): 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2011
op how much will u pay me if i tell u d answer angry
Re: Puzzle of the day by hamziwhiz(m): 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2011
ekt_bear:

@omo_to_dun: Thanks, I saw your message. I actually have a book of programming puzzles that I'm working through now though. Thanks for those too, though.
Oya naw, I also need 2 be watered oooo, I nid a book on c++ dat Is self explanatory & a link to download a good compiler as I"m having issues with gettin GNU compiler o.
Please Help me out and I"d owe you my programming career!
Tnx in anticipation
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 11:22pm On Oct 12, 2011
hamziwhiz:

Oya naw, I also need 2 be watered oooo, I nid a book on c++ dat Is self explanatory & a link to download a good compiler as I"m having issues with gettin GNU compiler o.
Please Help me out and I"d owe you my programming career!
Tnx in anticipation

GCC is available for free. Are you on windows? If so you can google around for instructions for installing it on windows. It looks like can also get Visual Studio for free too: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 3:49am On Jan 30, 2012
Two more:

1) What is the sum of the #s from 1 to 1,000 (this is kind of a dumb question, you either will have seen the trick before or not. If you've not seen the trick before, try to think of a way to rearrange the summation to make it easier.)

2) What is the expected number of times I must flip a fair coin before I get two heads? (basically a conditional probability question)
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 7:01am On Jan 30, 2012
Another one.

I'm given an array of N numbers. Call the array A.

Let's assume that arrays are zero-indexed, like in C, C++, Java, etc.

A)
Design an algorithm that will output a list B that is a rearrangement of A (i.e., permutation) such that:

1. The last element the new array B is the same as the last element of A. Call this pivot element x.
2. I have three indices I_1, I_2, and I_3, such that:
a. All elements with index less than I_1 are less than x.
b. All elements with index less than I_2 but >= I_1 are greater than x.
c. All elements with index >=I_2 are equal to x.

You are allowed to create a temporary array of size N for this problem.

B) Design a variant of the above algorithm that doesn't require a temporary array, that transforms A into B in place. You can use a constant amount of additional memory.

(Basically you are designing an in-place QuickSelect.)
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 7:27am On Jan 30, 2012
Here is what a sample run of the algorithm looks like:

A=[2, 0, 3, 4, 3, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2]

produces:
B = [1, 0, 0, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2]

and

I_1, I_2, I_3 = [3, 7, 3]
Re: Puzzle of the day by Mobinga: 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
The first one is basic arithmetic progression. That, n/2(na+(n-1)d); thingy.

Second one is 2 na?  embarassed

As for the most recent; check this; is it correct? Just a quick implementation. Without using a temporary array;

package algorithms;

import java.util.Arrays;

public class NL {
public static void main(String [] args){

int [] arr = {2,0,3,4,3,0,2,1,4,2};
   int arrlength = arr.length;
   int [] ind = {3,7,3};
   int [] fin = new int [10];
   int x = arr[arrlength - 1];
   fin[fin.length-1] = arr[arrlength-1];
   Arrays.sort(arr);
       for(int i = 0; i<arrlength; i++){
           if( arr[i] < x ){
                fin[i] = arr[i];
                continue;
           }
          if( arr[i] > x){
               fin[i-ind[0]] = arr[i];
          }
       }
       for(int j = ind[1]; j<arr.length; j++){
           fin[j] = x;
       }
   System.out.println(Arrays.toString(fin));

}
}

The entire thing is easier with a sorted array.
Re: Puzzle of the day by Mobinga: 2:02pm On Jan 30, 2012
Input array : [2, 0, 3, 4, 3, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2]
Outputted array : [0, 0, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2]

cool
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 2:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
1. Yep, first is pairing. You just pair the first and last, the second and second to last, etc. Then sum up.

2. Nope, not 2. It actually requires a bit of consideration of cases, and some effort. You expect 2 coin flips to get 1 head on average. But how many coin flips do you expect for 2 consecutive heads?

3. You create a big temporary array "fin" right? You are allowed to do this for (A), but not for (B). For (B), the idea is that you want to do some simple operations on arr that transform it into the desired result, but only using a constant amount of additional space (say you only have one temporary integer available to you.)

Also, if you sort the input array first, then the problem becomes dead easy. You want to avoid sorting. No sorting allowed for either (A) or (B) of this problem.
Re: Puzzle of the day by Mobinga: 2:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
ekt_bear:

3. You create a big temporary array "fin" right? You are allowed to do this for (A), but not for (B). For (B), the idea is that you want to do some simple operations on arr that transform it into the desired result, but only using a constant amount of additional space (say you only have one temporary integer available to you.)

Also, if you sort the input array first, then the problem becomes dead easy. You want to avoid sorting. No sorting allowed for either (A) or (B) of this problem.

From my understanding; there is only one array in use as stated by the question;

Here as for (A)

Design an algorithm that will output a list B that is a rearrangement of A (i.e., permutation) such that:

1. The last element the new array B is the same as the last element of A. Call this pivot element x.

The main array in use, is the same array as the final array; So the entire question requires 2 arrays; the stipulated and the outputted;

As for no sorting, the bleep? I'd like someone to do that and post the code.

For (B) hmm. Feasible.
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2012
For part A, you can create a second array if you like.

For Part B, you cannot. You must generate the desired array through a series of operations on the input array.

Part A can definitely be done w/o sorting (once you've picked the pivot, cycle through the input array filling in the appropriate entries of your duplicate array.)

Part B can also be done w/o sorting, and w/o creation of any new arrays.
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2012
This is one of those things where you are best off taking out pencil and paper first, playing with a few examples first rather than directly diving into code.
Re: Puzzle of the day by ektbear: 2:08am On Jan 31, 2012
Here is one I couldn't do and had to cheat by looking up the answer  sad

I knew it had to involve bisection of some sort (that is usually the only time you see log(N) time), but couldn't figure out how to do it until I looked it up.

Anyways:

You are given two sorted lists/arrays, one of length M, one of length N.

Find the Kth smallest item in both lists (i.e., if we considered the two lists to be one big list), and do this in no more than O([log(N)+log(M)]) iterations (for example, if you have a technique that does it in 5[log(N)+log(M)] iterations, you win the game.)

(Big hint: use bisection, since the lists are already sorted!)

You can assume that all the elements of the list are distinct (so there cannot be a tie.)

(1) (2) (Reply)

[problem] Write A Program In C++ That Finds The Hcf Of 2 Numbers Without Using A Recursive Function / List Of Failed Software Projects - What Went Wrong? / Survey - People Interested In Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.