Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,887 members, 7,828,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? (10177 Views)

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? / 60 Million Nigerians To Have Internet Access By 2013 / Exciting Opportunity For Free To Everyone Who Is Internet Friendly: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 06, 2011
Johnsinia:

Na wa o,ppl are complainng that internet access is cost while studnts in UNN enjoy free of charge internet access 24/7; no b lie o,i witness it wen i went there 4 my pume.
That's how it's supposed to be but it's just crazy that people had to pay as much as 1000 naira a day for Multilinks back then. I don't know how much they charge now.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Kx: 11:16am On Sep 06, 2011
There is FTA for sat tv.

Is there no FTA internet? grin
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by COMPAQ(m): 11:29am On Sep 06, 2011
Internet in Nigeria of 2011 is much, much faster, reliable and cheaper than 2007. I figure that by 2015, it'll get better still.

The main issues are excessive taxation by all tiers of govt, very poor power supply, security and other logistical issues. All these come together to make the cost of operations high.

As more cables come on stream, last mile delivery improves and more competition hots up (whenever Etisalat commences 3G and perhaps maybe 4G services), prices will drop further still and the speed will improve. There are upgrades that can be done on an existing 3G network that can increase average download speeds from say 600kbps to 1.2Mbps, not to talk of even implementing 4G LTE!!
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2011
i used free cheat to download at least 500MB per day(if I'm not selfish grin), yet it doesn't shake our operators .
then what is depriving them to sell 5 gig at 1k angry angry angry
government stakeholders in telecom sef angry angry angry angry ;
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by basadenet: 12:22pm On Sep 06, 2011
Government is to blame, why because they have fail to act appropriately. if we look at the way the telecoms operators abuse our laws with impunity yet nothing happens. Even NCC that suppose to wedge the sledge hammer on those economic saboteurs, has been left moribund, that is, a dog that can only bark but not bite. God help us. AMEN.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 12:24pm On Sep 06, 2011
Things are gradually getting better.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Airtimex(m): 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2011
i browse with 0.00 tanx to empty hen for their latest upgrade grin
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by onyekabe(m): 12:45pm On Sep 06, 2011
Internet is free here in nigeria he you know the trick
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by MrCork17: 1:22pm On Sep 06, 2011
Internet Access in Nigeria? Since when? (no oofeinse) undecided
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 1:27pm On Sep 06, 2011
because con men&women are much in 9ja
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by kadman(m): 2:04pm On Sep 06, 2011
claremont:

Guy, as far as I know, the PAYG Internet service you just described CANNOT last a dedicated Internet user for 1 week not to talk of a month. I have used the £10 dongle before now, and I had to reduce my Internet workload in order to even make it last a week; therefore, your statement "in the uk, all you need to load on your usb dongle "modem" is £10 approx N2500 and have access to a very fast internet service 24/7 for a month" is false; only Contract Internet access packages can last a month irrespective of the workload placed on it, PAYG can run out in a week.

That's not a valid excuse. Is there any ban on telecommunication firms setting up payment contract with customers in Nigeria in order to reduce their tariffs ? NO there is none. They haven't bothered to look that way because they don't care.
BTW I paid less than that a month in UK PAYG and had unlimited internet package. If you don't know say you don't know and stop calling people out for being false BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by richtech: 2:17pm On Sep 06, 2011
Its a government thing -  then who is the government, the People.
Technically, one word - Backbone.  All our internet traffic, even yahoo chat Between your next door neighbour is routed via a server located god knows where.
We need a network centre that should be a govt funded at commissioning and after runs its self.  All local traffic will not leave Nigeria until an external content is required.
All external content that are required by many request are either cached or mirrored.  
Yahoo and co will have to have a server locally to serve the millions of users clogging up the network to their local server.
You buy bandwith at local price and in higher quantity Mb/s as against our current Kb/s brain killer.
You get more done, because mail sent to a client in Kano does not go to US then moves to UK before moving to South Africa and then finally to Kano.
All the infrastructure along the way of your mail has to be paid for, simple.

We need a Nigerian Network.  NCC has failed to implement this many times.  reason, - Corruption, Greed and white collar jobs
NCC/Ndukwe am sure were looking for one family member to implement it.

See how much rangling went into the Nigerian TLD (.ng)
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by sammirano: 2:26pm On Sep 06, 2011
In Nigeria, there are few cheap ISPs but you might not just get to know them, why is because they are not really begging for customers as they have their hands full already. You won't believe me I don't really know what you guys mean about selling people gig or Mb all i know is I watch as many movies download as many songs and still it won't just get exhausted until after 30 days in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by delicious1(m): 2:30pm On Sep 06, 2011
Okay.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by blackandro: 4:07pm On Sep 06, 2011
Cos cost of doing business in Nija is high  embarassed
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by BigMeat2: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2011
One simple solution - uninterrupted power supply.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by BigMeat2: 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2011
The govt through the NCC can help by tasking the various internet providers to lower their rate or else face huge fine.
I think this happened sometime ago in the UK. Now internet prices are reasonable next to nothing and connection have vastly improved, because the UK govt understands the importance of internet towards development of the economy.
It seems some dubious people in govt have a stake in most of these companies reason why nothing is been done to address the situation.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by stunna2(m): 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2011
, seeing that the nation is still developing and the internet just arrived there not too long ago, im sure it will only get better with time!

over here in Tdot, i personally pay $60 (9,000naira) a month for up to 60Gigs of data at speeds of 20Mbps!

but some ISPs (internet service Providers) charge $25 (4,000naira) per month for unlimited service but im sure the speeds are restricted so r much slower and it's over telephone lines while my service is over a digital cable line and im at the forefront to benefit from any improvements due to better tech on a regular bases!

when nigeria becomes more innovative as someone already pointed out, that will also improve prices!
but some of the profits reported above must be deployed towards research at ur universities or dedicated research centres to come up with innovations on the tech of delivering better n faster service rather than importing  everything!
prices can also be artificially high based on collusions by providers and that happens here too so government agents must keep an eye on them so there is sure and true competition and not secret price fixing, as can happen even in advanced countries.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Bawss1(m): 4:52pm On Sep 06, 2011
@Kx

Apparently the error has been corrected.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by velo10: 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2011
So far Cobranet is pretty cheap and efficient to me. Their modem costs 4500(small) and 6500(big) and their monthly plans are flexible. Pretty fast for me, just have a good signal location.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by phreakabit(m): 7:43pm On Sep 06, 2011
[size=18pt]^^^^^[/size]

GUY ABEG TAKE THAT PIC DOWN. RFLMAO
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 9:05pm On Sep 06, 2011
The OP is another lier who compares the UK with Nigeria with falsehood and bunch of lies and the myopic people take what he writes as the truth.

The dongle that you load with £10 credit in the UK - how long does it last you for? One month or one year? I load the same credit in the same UK and I finish it in one day - what r u talking about? Abeg - try to do your research properly before coming here to yearn half truths. How much do u pay for full internet if you are a contract user? Tell us and then we can compare rates.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by texazzpete(m): 6:58am On Sep 07, 2011
I wish people would stop quoting 'Infrastructure' as an excuse. The 3G HSDPA transmitter is mounted on existing Telecom towers which are already powered up to cater to the GSM crowd. There is very little incremental cost for power that these Telcos incur.

The simple truth is that the Telcos are greedy as hell, which was why MTN just a few years ago would buy 3G modems from Huawei in bulk for as low as $30 per unit and then sell same to Nigerians for 25K.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Meklex(m): 7:18am On Sep 07, 2011
since 2007 I had a free stable internet connection on my phone on all networks especially empty hen, and sometimes I connect my phone to my lappy as modem to browse free. hacking and cracking is answer. u can send me a mail.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by kess1(m): 7:57am On Sep 07, 2011
It's because of their high tariffs why 'free' browsing will continue to thrive in this country.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by dinvesta: 10:44am On Sep 07, 2011
since 2007 I had a free stable internet connection on my phone on all networks especially empty hen, and sometimes I connect my phone to my lappy as modem to browse free. hacking and cracking is answer. u can send me a mail.

meklex, what is your email?
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Slogan13(m): 11:22am On Sep 07, 2011
I get mine for 20 euros a month and it is mad fast.24/7.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Barrywhite8620: 1:02pm On Sep 07, 2011
Just send me ur mail, let me load u wif alot of free stuff.
browsing here in naija is free ooo, only if u know ur way.
Since 2007 na free browsing i dey jolly wif up till date, even though u have money inside ur sim, it won't deduct any money 4rm ur sim.
Or just do some research through google and u will see lots of website offering free cheat u will use to browse free.

Here is my number contact me if u want some 08063802371.
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by Meklex(m): 4:28pm On Sep 07, 2011
[tr][/tr]check my profile
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by goggs(m): 10:41pm On Sep 07, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

i used free cheat to download at least 500MB per day(if I'm not selfish grin), yet it doesn't shake our operators .
then what is depriving them to sell 5 gig at 1k angry angry angry
government stakeholders in telecom sef angry angry angry angry ;

funny you ask a question and give one answer yourself

you steal and yet have the audacity to question another? shocked phew!
Re: Why Is Internet Access So Expensive In Nigeria? by goggs(m): 10:43pm On Sep 07, 2011
texazzpete:

I wish people would stop quoting 'Infrastructure' as an excuse. The 3G HSDPA transmitter is mounted on existing Telecom towers which are already powered up to cater to the GSM crowd. There is very little incremental cost for power that these Telcos incur.

The simple truth is that the Telcos are greedy as hell, which was why MTN just a few years ago would buy 3G modems from Huawei in bulk for as low as $30 per unit and then sell same to Nigerians for 25K.

i agree 100%

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facebook Messenger Now Supports 4K Photos Sharing / Pls Help Suggest A Good Laptop Between N50000- N75000 / Where Can I Get A Cable Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.