Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff (603 Views)

Google Parent Alphabet To Cut 12,000 Jobs / Twitter Layoff: This Is Why You Need Some Side Hustles As A Developer / Microsoft To Retire Internet Explorer: Will You Miss It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Alphabyte1: 2:53pm On Jan 18, 2023
Now Microsoft
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2023
Link?
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Alphabyte1: 5:42pm On Jan 18, 2023
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Treassured: 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2023
Ahh this is too massive.
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:13pm On Jan 18, 2023
truthsayer009:
Link?

Someone I follow on Twitter got a job last week at Microsoft and was laid off today. Omho men. Really there exists nothing like job security and companies do not deserve so much time men.
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Someone I follow on Twitter got a job last week at Microsoft and was laid off today. Omho men. Really there exists nothing like job security and companies do not deserve so much time men.

Ah this one is loud o, never heard of this type of craze. Did he write it as a post on LinkedIn or how did you know?

So what is the essence of having full-time jobs, Is it not better to always keep contract jobs from agencies because full-time is suppose to have a sort of protection.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by truthCoder: 6:25am On Jan 19, 2023
This is all as a result of AI and better computing plus covid.

Microsoft is in discussions with openAI in a $10 billion usd deal so it is not because Microsoft is broke.

Microsoft is positioning itself for the future.

Computing has improved in the last two decades to the extent that very small teams can compete favorably against big corporations on product level.

Why should a company have 20,000 staff when most of them are simply doing created work. By created work, i mean work that should not exist but was formed in order to manage the very large staff population.

Finally, covid showed these companies that they can run without the need for big offices and large staffing. The workers have also been shooting themselves in the foot by clamoring for more remote work. With remote working, the companies have been able to separate jobs into extremely essential, relatively essential and purely cosmetic.

For the relatively essential and purely cosmetic, the staff can be let go and and roles outsourced.

Outsourcing is cheaper in the long run as it reduces labor bottlenecks and turns staff costs just into an accounting entry.

Expect more layoffs as the industry changes.

The plus side is that many sacked people would set up their own competitive businesses which would also possibly provide more jobs in the long term. The downside is that for those looking for a job at the moment, competition has just increased.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by emmaodet: 12:24pm On Jan 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Thank God you now know that companies do not deserve our time.

People put in a lot of time, their life and sweat to go to school, endure just because they want to work and all for companies to treat them like shit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:41pm On Jan 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Thank God you now know that companies do not deserve our time.

People put in a lot of time, their life and sweat to go to school, endure just because they want to work and all for companies to treat them like shit.

Yeah o. Omho best to prioritize spending time with family and loved ones over working continuously. Who they go sack they go sack.
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by emmaodet: 2:05pm On Jan 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah o. Omho best to prioritize spending time with family and loved ones over working continuously. Who they go sack they go sack.

Hahahaha

That is why I don’t hesitate to spend good time with my loved ones and do mini vacations because those are the memories you will remember for long.
Also, my long time plan is agriculture.
Anytime the company is tired of me and sack me, I will just go jejely to one quiet village go they do my farming they go.
I hate stress and rat race in my life abeg

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by Alphabyte1: 3:08pm On Jan 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Hahahaha

That is why I don’t hesitate to spend good time with my loved ones and do mini vacations because those are the memories you will remember for long.
Anytime the company is tired of me and sack me, I will just go jejely to one quiet village go they do my farming they go.

Microsoft founder Bill gates is the largest farmland owner in America. We better start farming before he buy more farmland in Africa.
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by truthCoder2: 3:10pm On Jan 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Hahahaha

dont let me burst your bubble on agriculture.

All the stress your company has ever given you, plus the stress of managing 2 okada, 3 danfo and 4 keke napep. Add all together and it is not equal to half of the stress in agric at the moment.

Kidnapping is real. The moment you are seen investing in agric, you are a target. Herdsmen intentionally or accidentally drive cattle into your farm. You report and resolve the issue but the issue is never resolved. Hate sets in.

Theft. Wastage. Costs. Staffing. Land issues. Sabotage. etc

PS: i own 10 acres of farmland.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by truthCoder2: 3:11pm On Jan 19, 2023
Alphabyte1:

Microsoft founder Bill gates is the largest farmland owner in America. We better start farming before he buy more farmland in Africa.

None of his farms are in the south west or south east of Nigeria.
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by emmaodet: 3:15pm On Jan 19, 2023
truthCoder2:

dont let me burst your bubble on agriculture.

All the stress your company has ever given you, plus the stress of managing 2 okada, 3 danfo and 4 keke napep. Add all together and it is not equal to half of the stress in agric at the moment.

Kidnapping is real. The moment you are seen investing in agric, you are a target. Herdsmen intentionally or accidentally drive cattle into your farm. You report and resolve the issue but the issue is never resolved. Hate sets in.

Theft. Wastage. Costs. Staffing. Land issues. Sabotage. etc

PS: i own 10 acres of farmland.

I understand you bro.

I am also managing 15 acres presently

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by emmaodet: 3:16pm On Jan 19, 2023
Alphabyte1:

Hahahaha

We no go gree am for Africa.

Lailai
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:26pm On Jan 19, 2023
emmaodet:

Hahahaha

We no go gree am for Africa.

Lailai

He won't come here. There's no incentive too. If he wants more land he can get from latin american countries and it's easier to import farm produce from there to the USA. Africa is disadvantaged geographically and our infrastructure isn't that great. So even to get the goods from the farm to the market isn't easy as compared to other parts of the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by truthCoder2: 3:34pm On Jan 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

He won't come here. There's no incentive too. If he wants more land he can get from latin american countries and it's easier to import farm produce from there to the USA. Africa is disadvantaged geographically and our infrastructure isn't that great. So even to get the goods from the farm to the market isn't easy as compared to other parts of the world.

Agric in other west african countries is booming at a better scale.

Cocoa is the main export of Ivory Coast.

Veggies are grown all year round in Benin and Togo.

One of the main issues with farming in Nigeria is herdsmen. As long as that issue is not curtailed, there would be issues.

Another issue is irrigation. Most farmers still plant with rain. Solve irrigation, plant during the dry season and make your money....as long as you can also resolve the main issues above
Re: Microsoft To Cut 11,000 Jobs In Mass Layoff by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:07pm On Jan 19, 2023
truthCoder2:

Agric in other west african countries is booming at a better scale.

Cocoa is the main export of Ivory Coast.

Veggies are grown all year round in Benin and Togo.

One of the main issues with farming in Nigeria is herdsmen. As long as that issue is not curtailed, there would be issues.

Another issue is irrigation. Most farmers still plant with rain. Solve irrigation, plant during the dry season and make your money....as long as you can also resolve the main issues above

Herdsmen used to be an issue in Ghana but they were taken care of. They are still attacks here and there but less frequent as before. They would absolutely never come to Africa lol. We don't even have any existing trade agreements with any of their countries so it's a huge disadvantage for them to come do anything here.

(1) (Reply)

Industrial Training Placement / Newbies For Hacking / 0 Teachers Day Shayari Sms Wishes Wallpaper | Teachers Day Shayari Images Wal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.