Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,295 members, 7,867,774 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 12:24 AM

Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? (322 Views)

LP: We Regret Making Peter Obi Our Presidential Candidate – Apapa-faction / They Have Stolen Our Presidential, Guber Mandates - LP's Kenneth Okonkwo / PDP Vs APC: Zone That Must Produce Our Presidential Candidate – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Justmesagi: 8:27am On Jan 19, 2023
Pls, I don't understand why our presidential candidates (of top parties) must go to Chatham house to speak. I know it's an international and independent institute but it doesn't really speak well in my view considering the fact that some of these candidates won't even honour an invite from a reputable platform (not the partisan ones) at home to come discuss issues.

Are there countries outside Africa that their presidential candidates visit there during there presidential campaign like we do in Nigeria?
Pls help my ignorance.

Does this not symbolizes hang over of colonialism, inferiority complex and so on?
Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 19, 2023
Because Tinubu disgraced himself there. Everybody will go and outshine him to show what a terrible candidate APC has

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Urchinpainer: 9:00am On Jan 19, 2023
Justmesagi:
Pls, I don't understand why our presidential candidates (of top parties) must go to Chatham house to speak. I know it's an international and independent institute but it doesn't really speak well in my view considering the fact that some of these candidates won't even honour an invite from a reputable platform (not the partisan ones) at home to come discuss issues.

Are there countries outside Africa that their presidential candidates visit there during there presidential campaign like we do in Nigeria?
Pls help my ignorance.

Does this not symbolizes hang over of colonialism, inferiority complex and so on?

Candidates are selling themselves to potential foreign investors.... Skynews interviewed Peter Obi because of Chatham House... That's a boost! Big investors can influence their government to ensure that the candidate they believe will bring profit wins... America and Britain made sure Buhari won but unfortunately for them, they lost at the end. There investments here crashed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by budaatum: 9:01am On Jan 19, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by StrongandMighty: 9:06am On Jan 19, 2023
It's not a new a thing, even Joe Biden was at Chatham House too when he was contesting to be the president of United States..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 19, 2023
Ok
Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Justmesagi: 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2023
Urchinpainer:

Candidates are selling themselves to potential foreign investors.... Skynews interviewed Peter Obi because of Chatham House... That's a boost! Big investors can influence their government to ensure that the candidate they believe will bring profit wins... America and Britain made sure Buhari won but unfortunately for them, they lost at the end. There investments here crashed.
Thanks.
Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Justmesagi: 12:03pm On Jan 19, 2023
StrongandMighty:
It's not a new a thing, even Joe Biden was at Chatham House too when he was contesting to be the president of United States..
Thanks sir.
Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by sucemt(m): 1:23pm On Jan 19, 2023
StrongandMighty:

I'm not sure this is true. Joe Biden went to Chatham on 7th November after he had won the election which held on 3rd November. So, he couldn't have gone there to campaign, but to start reassuring US allies, of which Britain is the oldest.

US Presidents don't need to go outside US to beg for clout or votes. But for Nigerian politicians, it is more like begging for Western acceptance and promise to sustain the slave-master relationship borne out of inferiority complex.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Justmesagi: 3:07pm On Jan 19, 2023
sucemt:

I'm not sure this is true. Joe Biden went to Chatham on 7th November after he had won the election which held on 3rd November. So, he couldn't have gone there to campaign, but to start reassuring US allies, of which Britain is the oldest.

US Presidents don't need to go outside US to beg for clout or votes. But for Nigerian politicians, it is more like begging for Western acceptance and promise to sustain the slave-master relationship borne out of inferiority complex.
Thank for the clarification. This is my thought too.
Re: Why Are Our Presidential Candidates Going To Chatham House? by Prince111111: 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2023
It is very bad for our presidential candidates to go there just because they want to score some scores. There is no way the UK would ever respect us when every time our candidates go there to read out their plans. We are independent for cry out loud! Why must we always go and bow to our slave masters? The implications are bad on our values as a sovereign nation. If because of their investments in every of our election, we will have to go their to read out our plans to them just to send some millions of dollars to us, then we should not have been independent in the first place. It's a bad thing please. I respect Atiku for calling their bluffs.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Longest Fuel Scarcity In History, But Tinubus Egg Is More Important / President Buhari Appoints Yusha’u Ahmed As NYSC DG / Atiku Abubakar In Bauchi State Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.