Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman (1233 Views)

Short Story Of SARAH BAARTMAN, A Woman With Unusual Backside / Monifa Phillip, Black Woman Graduate From University Of Glasgow, PhD In Physics / Sara Hinesley Wins National Handwriting Competition In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SReporters: 9:54am On Jan 19, 2023
One of the first black women to be identified as a victim of human sexual trafficking was Saartjie (Sara) Baartman. She was mockingly dubbed the "Hottentot Venus" by Europeans because during her brief life, her body was cruelly exposed and subjected to public scrutiny. Additionally, her experience confirmed Europeans' already-present, highly harmful sexual obsession with the bodies of African women.

At the Gamtoos River, which is now known as the Eastern Cape in South Africa, Sara Baartman was born in 1789. Baartman and her family belonged to the Khoikhoi Gonaquasub tribe. Baartman was raised on a colonial farm, perhaps as a servant with her family. Her father, a cattle driver, passed away when she was still a tiny girl, and her mother passed away when she was just two years old.

By the time she was a teenager, Baartman had wed a drummer from the Khoikhoi tribe. Together, they had a child who passed very soon after birth. Baartman's spouse was killed by Dutch colonists when she was sixteen. Shortly after, she was bought into slavery by a trader named Pieter Willem Cezar. He took her to Cape Town where he sold her to his brother Hendrik as a domestic slave. Although she was unable to read, 21-year-old Baartman allegedly signed a contract on October 29, 1810, with a doctor named William Dunlop who was a friend of the Cezar brothers.

Because officially slavery had been outlawed in Great Britain, this contract obliged her to travel to England and Ireland with the Cezar brothers and Dunlop in order to serve as a domestic servant there. Additionally, she would be on display for amusement. After five years, Baartman would be granted permission to return to South Africa and receive a percentage of the proceeds from her shows. But the agreement was entirely fake, and she was kept in servitude for the rest of her life.

On November 24, 1810, Baartman debuted in London at the Egyptian Hall in Piccadilly Circus. However, British abolitionists were quick to take notice of her public treatment and accused Dunlop and the Cezars of holding Baartman against her will. Pieter Cezar produced the contract that Baartman had signed, and the judge made a decision against Baartman. Moreover, Baartman affirmed in court that she wasn't being mistreated.

The court trial's media coverage raised Baartman's popularity as an exhibit. By 1812, she had traveled all over England and even as far as Limerick, Ireland.

After spending four years in Britain, Baartman was transported to France in September 1814 and sold to S. Reaux, an animal exhibitor. He displayed Baartman to the general public in and around Paris, frequently at the Palais Royal. Additionally, he permitted customers who were willing to pay for her profanity to mistreat her sexually. Due to the public's obsession with Baartman's body, Reaux made a sizable profit.

On December 29, 1815, Sara Saartjie Baartman, then 26 years old, passed away in Paris. She may have passed away from syphilis or TB. Many of her body parts would remain on display at the Musée de l'Homme (Museum of Man) in Paris even after her death to perpetuate racist ideas about persons with African descent. Up until 1974, some of the body parts were on exhibit.

The return of Baartman's remains to South Africa was officially requested by South African President Nelson Mandela in 1994. Her remains were repatriated and interred at Hankey in the Eastern Cape Province on March 6, 2002.

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2023/01/19/a-black-woman-subjected-to-human-sexual-trafficking-sara-baartman/

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Malory: 9:57am On Jan 19, 2023
She is from Osun state.
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SReporters: 10:11am On Jan 19, 2023
Malory:
She is from Osun state.

grin She's a South African! Don't let her people come after you!

1 Like

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Malory: 10:13am On Jan 19, 2023
SReporters:

grin She's a South African! Don't let her people come after you!
Theniceguy won't agree with you.
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by TheNiceGuy(m): 10:18am On Jan 19, 2023
I actually thought you can read
Malory:
Theniceguy won't agree with you.
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Malory: 10:19am On Jan 19, 2023
TheNiceGuy:
I actually thought you can read
She is your relative.
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 1:44pm On Jan 19, 2023
Such a terrible time to exist in the world… she died at a really young age though… I feel so emotional reading this

1 Like

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by jamesversion: 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:
Such a terrible time to exist in the world… she died at a really young age though… I feel so emotional reading this

Emotional?

Fakeness. grin
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2023
jamesversion:

Emotional?

Fakeness. grin
it’s emotional fr, I can’t imagine myself naked outside being watched by perverts…
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SReporters: 4:12pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:

That's the extent of cruelty meted on Africans those years

3 Likes

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by jamesversion: 5:55pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:
it’s emotional fr, I can’t imagine myself naked outside being watched by perverts…

How about the case of Ota Benga.
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SodiumValproate: 6:04pm On Jan 19, 2023
Pwettylinda Nyash ma for no survive for those people hand If to say Dem born her that time. grin grin

Damn! grin
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by ItsTutsi(m): 8:56pm On Jan 19, 2023
She was making good money
Lamanii22:
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Buharidgeneral: 9:05pm On Jan 19, 2023
Now they're forming human right activist

1 Like

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SReporters: 11:17pm On Jan 19, 2023
ItsTutsi:

Her master was raking in on all the cash she was making
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 11:35pm On Jan 19, 2023
jamesversion:

How about the case of Ota Benga.
oh who’s ota benga?
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 11:36pm On Jan 19, 2023
ItsTutsi:
was she given the money?

1 Like

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by jamesversion: 12:05am On Jan 20, 2023
Lamanii22:
oh who’s ota benga?

Google it, so you can feel very bad. grin
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 12:27am On Jan 20, 2023
jamesversion:

Google it, so you can feel very bad. grin
now I’m scared to google
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by jamesversion: 1:27am On Jan 20, 2023
Lamanii22:
now I’m scared to google

grin undecided

Google it so you can learn. Atleast you can see what the black race has passed thru.

2 Likes

Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:41am On Jan 20, 2023
Read her story
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by SReporters: 9:11am On Jan 20, 2023
jamesversion:

grin undecided

Google it so you can learn. Atleast you can see what the black race has passed thru.

The black race during those years really suffered!
Re: A Black Woman Subjected To Human Sexual Trafficking: Sara Baartman by Lamanii22(f): 12:07am On Jan 22, 2023
jamesversion:

grin undecided

okay I will

(1) (Reply)

Behind The Scenes Of Plinko: How The Game Works / Post-UME Exam For Unilorin Direct Entry / Lasu Bursary Number For Indigenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.