Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] (1842 Views)

Obasanjo Tells Old Politicians To Leave The Stage For Younger Ones / Nigerian Politicians' Convoy In 1999 VS Present (Video, Photos) / Abba Kyari Arrives Lagos In Air Ambulance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Amalekki: 9:36pm On Jan 19, 2023

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Ttalk: 9:37pm On Jan 19, 2023
That's it when military junta's almost turned Lagos into a jungle

You may not appreciate if you are not an indigene or a resident of Lagos state.

When you see uncultured children ranting about Tinubu, just tell them to ask their father or their uncles who lived in Lagos before 1999.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by XAUBulls: 7:35pm On Jun 23, 2023
Amalekki:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS4DrR97lSM
Indeed... A very true and insightful video of Lagos State back in the day as of 1999. The brutal Military rule did a lot of damage to the human psyche and economic development simply got arrested due to Military corruption from the mid-1980s.

The then Governor Bola Tinubu now President Bola Tinubu had to start upgrading Lagos State again from the decayed infrastructure with the technocrats he brought into goverment (with former Governor Babatunde Fashola as his Chief-of-Staff). More certainly has to be done to transform the entire Nigerian landscape for the benefit of all.

Mynd44, Nlfpmod.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Racoon(m): 7:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
And the same Lagos is the current 4th worst unliveable city in the world?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by BossGerald: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2023
Ttalk:

When you see uncultured children ranting about Tinubu, just tell them to ask their father or their uncles who lived in Lagos before 1999.

Abi oo

Before tilumbu came and built lagos from scratch??

Opor
Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Day169: 8:09pm On Jun 23, 2023
shocked shocked shocked!
This reminds me of the 7up slogan.. "the difference is clear".

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by XAUBulls: 8:14pm On Jun 23, 2023
Racoon:
This is due to the massive influx of people from all over Nigeria and West Africa thereby putting pressure on available land space, (which is even smaller than Anambra). Lagos is quite enervating and bursting at the seams especially with more migrants seeking protection from the insecurity situations in the North and South East.

With decentralized governance, a Delta State indigene for example doesn't need to come and hustle for employment in Lagos, PH, Abuja, etc, but can stay back in his or her state once the inefficiencies in resource allocation and utilisation are addressed.

A place like Lagos should only be for holidaying, or wrapping up business deals then driving or flying back to base in other states.

More than 95 percent of the landmass of Lagos State of today was carved out of what is now called Ogun State which was then part of Old Western Region. Ikeja, Ilupeju, Ikorodu, Epe, Ibeju Lekki, Isolo, Mushin, Agege, Ojo, Badagry, Iganmu, etc, were all towns located in the Old Western Region before being carved out and merged with Lagos Island (the former capital from 1914 to 1991) to form the new state.

Lagos State was originally created along with 11 other states on May 27, 1967 for the indigenes by General Yakubu Gowon by carving out lands from the Ijebu people and Awori people. This is why Ijebuland and Aworiland straddle both sides of the Lagos and Ogun States boundaries.

With a controlled population, Lagos State will continue to maintain the lead as the 5th largest economy in Africa since 1999 after Bola Tinubu first came on board.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Racoon(m): 8:30pm On Jun 23, 2023
XAUBulls:
.....With a controlled population, Lagos State will continue to maintain the lead as the 5th largest economy in Africa since 1999 after Bola Tinubu first came on board.
My friend keep quiet let us hear word. Here is a picture of Lagos before Tinubu came to fill it with agberoes and all manners of vain anti-social elements.

The only legacy Tinubu bequeathed to Lagos is the bogus pension entitlements to fund his ostentatious lifestyles, institutional corruption, personisation of government, institution of multiple strata of anti-social miscreants that have ended making the city a hellhole for it inhabitants.

1 Share

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Racoon(m): 8:32pm On Jun 23, 2023
3. The Maroko land improvement Scheme was a project started and completed by Brig-Gen Raji Rasaki and further improved by Military Administrators who took control of the State after his administration.

It was the legendary Alhaji Lateef Jakande who had actually opened up the Lekki peninsula when the first democratic elected governor broke through the forests and the swamps with his road building crew, erecting first class roads from Ozumba Mbadiwe to the fringes of Epe, thereby opening up the Eastern corridor of Lagos State. Gbolahan Mudashiru, the military Administrator who succeeded him, pushed the construction to Epe.

Of course, as the governor of the State from 1999 to 2007, the Administration of Ahmed Bola Tinubu added one lane to the existing two and erected toll gates to generate revenues.

4. The general upgrades that attend the continuous service improvement on the Lekki & Eastern Corridor is a combined effort which had evolved over time and leaders at every stage of their engagement have added value to the Lekki peninsula.Finally, just like all human activities and endeavours, Lagos is a work in progress. It is never an arrival.

Government is a continuum, a progressive work in perpetual motion where all protagonists fulfil their chore and leave the scene for others to continue. That’s the rhythm of life. No one is ever etched in perpetual relevance save the grace of the living God
Oriental Hotel: You Lied - Olanrewaju Tackles Tinubu’s Campaign Team
Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by XAUBulls: 8:53pm On Jun 23, 2023
Racoon:
My friend keep let us hear word. Here is a picture of Lagos before Tinubu came to fill it with agberoes and all manners of vain anti-social elements.

The only legacy Tinubu bequeathed to Lagos is the bogus pension entitlements to fund his ostentatious lifestyles, institutional corruption, personisation of government, institution of multiple strata of anti-social miscreants that have ended making the city a hellhole for it inhabitants.
I was very CLEAR in my earlier submission here.

You are obviously ranting as usual. I've been a veteran member of NL since 2005 and ever since I started noticing your moniker here on NL, it has been one form of narcissism after the other in your posts. Are you incapable of engaging in a rational convo without throwing propaganda, defamation and insults?

You know nothing about that state called Lagos. It was this same President Tinubu that increased the IGR of Lagos to the stellar heights of what it today with subsequent Governors building on the IGR.

Even the man (Dapo Apara) who out of anger had a squabble over the ownership of AlphaBeta has apologized to Tinubu for saying untrue things about him, and even campaigned for him during the run-up leading to the Presidential elections.

I will stop here.

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by ba7man(m): 10:18pm On Jun 23, 2023
Racoon:
All southeastern cities no even get any ranking/ rating are all. Dem no grade reach to be called cities.

Imagine, they don't have "central business districts", na "central market districts" dem get.

Na villages and towns dem dey call them by global standards.

2 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by gebest: 11:16pm On Jun 23, 2023
Tinubu is a game changer.

5 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Brendaniel: 7:00am On Jun 24, 2023
XAUBulls:

You are obviously ranting as usual. I've been a veteran member of NL since 2005 and ever since I started noticing your moniker here on NL, it has been one form of narcissism after the other in your posts. Are you incapable of engaging in a rational convo without throwing propaganda, defamation and insults?

You know nothing about that state called Lagos. It was this same President Tinubu that increased the IGR of Lagos to the stellar heights of what it today with subsequent Governors building on the IGR.

Even the man (Dapo Apara) who out of anger had a squabble over the ownership of AlphaBeta has apologized to Tinubu for saying untrue things about him, and even campaigned for him during the run-up leading to the Presidential elections.

I will stop here.

Oga, Tinubu is the worst Lagos state governor I've ever known, mind you I've lived in Lagos since about 1980's, The same Marwa was governor before Tinubu, today he is NDLEA boss, look at his performance in NDLEA, ask yourself if Tinubu was made NDLEA boss like Marwa is he going to perform like Marwa? You guys and propaganda, nothing really happened under Tinubu's governance until Fashola came in, Lagos was a dust bin....
Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Brendaniel: 7:03am On Jun 24, 2023
ba7man:
All southeastern cities no even get any ranking/ rating are all. Dem no grade reach to be called cities.

Imagine, they don't have "central business districts", na "central market districts" dem get.

Na villages and towns dem dey call them by global standards.

You are comparing former FCT of Nigeria for 77 years that did was not affected by the civil war with a region that was heavily affected by civil war... Aside from Lagos that was former FCT which other states in the south west can you boast of ?
Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by OneCandleAway(f): 7:06am On Jun 24, 2023
XAUBulls:

I will stop here.

You're too old for these lies.

Dapo Apara was paid off.
That was the solution to the problem because Apara was ready to release more damaging documents and Tinubu didn't need all that problems because the election was tough on him.

You of all people should be aware instead of spreading lies all over.

1 Like

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 24, 2023
Racoon:
My friend keep quiet let us hear word. Here is a picture of Lagos before Tinubu came to fill it with agberoes and all manners of vain anti-social elements.

I don’t see Tinubu’s name here but your hero the dullard’s name can be found in the names of former governors who bequeathed bogus pensions to fund his corrupt life.

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Nonybb: 7:25am On Jun 24, 2023
You guys are stupid and annoying. Everytime Tinubu this Tinubu that. Soon he will be the one that built and developed Abuja. You guys are so shameless. Even Fashola that outperformed Tinubu have never boasted like this. Including Ambode. His previous predecessors did more than that Chicago criminal. You guys are dumb and your brain looted by one senile people's mandate stealer from Iragbiji. Go and tell us how he developed Osun his state
Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Corporate2020: 7:27am On Jun 24, 2023
Racoon:

That is why you all jumped into Mallam Audu’s trailer carrying cows from Bornu through your villages to come and sell Gala and La Casera inside Lagos holdups and sleep under Lagos bridges

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by unitysheart(m): 7:40am On Jun 24, 2023
Ttalk:

Hmmmmmm.

Gives me nostalgic feeling. I remember the stress between 98 and 2000 traveling from Ota to Fadeyi through Ijaye, Abule Egba, Abbatoir, Ikeja, Oshodi and then Ilupeju, every day of the work week to get to school at Igbobi College Yaba.

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Corporate2020: 7:44am On Jun 24, 2023
unitysheart:

Hmmmmmm.

Gives me nostalgic feeling. I remember the stress between 98 and 2000 traveling from Ota to Fadeyi through Ijaye, Abule Egba, Abbatoir, Ikeja, Oshodi and then Ilupeju, every day of the work week to get to school at Igbobi College Yaba.

HAAA! Wetin be your offense? Sango-Ota to Igbobi College? Were you even able to learn anything in school after that stress?

2 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Raskimonojendor: 7:49am On Jun 24, 2023
Ttalk:

And Marwa's military era which ended in 1999 was even the best of the military with his operation sweep and direct labour agency. Now imagine how more horrible it was before Marwa. Tinubu changed Lagos ALOT, that it is almost like magic.

The uncultured children are the Rinu odualo and company. Rinu for example was just over 1 year old in 1999.

2 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 24, 2023
Nonybb:
You guys are stupid and annoying. Everytime Tinubu this Tinubu that. Soon he will be the one that built and developed Abuja. You guys are so shameless. Even Fashola that outperformed Tinubu have never boasted like this. Including Ambode. His previous predecessors did more than that Chicago criminal. You guys are dumb and your brain looted by one senile people's mandate stealer from Iragbiji. Go and tell us how he developed Osun his state

cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 24, 2023
unitysheart:

Hmmmmmm.

Back then there were mountain heaps of refuse dumps right in the middle of the road in isolo and okota, it was a nightmare driving through those areas.

If you know you know.

2 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Raskimonojendor: 7:57am On Jun 24, 2023
Ajagunakin:

You then there were mountain heaps of refuse dumps right in the middle of the road in isolo and okota, it was a nightmare driving through those areas.

If you know you know.
Those mountain of refuse were everywhere. I could still recall the smell when they set fire to them once in a while. Okota was even swamp back then.

2 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Raskimonojendor: 8:00am On Jun 24, 2023
XAUBulls:

Indeed... A very true and insightful video of Lagos State back in the day as of 1999. The brutal Military rule did a lot of damage to the human psyche and economic development simply got arrested due to Military corruption from the mid-1980s.

The then Governor Bola Tinubu now President Bola Tinubu had to start upgrading Lagos State again from the decayed infrastructure with the technocrats he brought into goverment (with former Governor Babatunde Fashola as his Chief-of-Staff). More certainly has to be done to transform the entire Nigerian landscape for the benefit of all.

Mynd44, Nlfpmod.
Tinubu was the brain behind the development master plan being implemented by successive administrations in Lagos, which has elevated governance in the state. He himself set the bar and standard high.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by ba7man(m): 8:08am On Jun 24, 2023
Racoon:

You're right in a way. Lagos was beautiful, calm, serene when I was growing up.

I lived in Festac with play grounds that had trees, we had side walks, could ride bikes without fear. LSTC transport buses were popular too. That axis had different estates too.

I also used to spend weekends on Lagos Island where there were Brazilian styled bungalows and families used to sit in verandahs in front of their homes for the evening breeze and watching kids play.

Then The Igbo spare part traders moved into both Festac and Lagos Island. TheIr 419s and cocaine pushers flooded into that axis and turned everywhere into an overcrowded market place, selling Tokunbo cars and spare parts at any space they could find, setting up shops everywhere, choking up the environment.

Of course their arrival brought the rise of armed robbery and crime. We moved out of Festac and used to keep hearing how it was now a crime infested place.

Once you drive past Oshodi towards Isolo, the whole mood changes.

It's really ironic that the same people that fast tracked the decay of Lagos are the same ones saying trash here today.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by unitysheart(m): 9:19am On Jun 24, 2023
Corporate2020:

HAAA! Wetin be your offense? Sango-Ota to Igbobi College? Were you even able to learn anything in school after that stress?

I lived at Fadeyi but we moved to our own house in between. We desires to finish our schooling at ICY.

1 Like

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by FreeStuffsNG: 9:21am On Jun 24, 2023
Real throwback. Thank you OP

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Throwback: 9:30am On Jun 24, 2023
See the coastal erosion at Ahmadu Bello Victoria Island, now turned to Eko Atlantic by a forward thinking Gov. Tinubu who engage the private sector for both solution and eventual prosperity.

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Throwback: 9:36am On Jun 24, 2023
ba7man:
You're right in a way. Lagos was beautiful, calm, serene when I was growing up.

I lived in Festac with play grounds that had trees, we had side walks, could ride bikes without fear. LSTC transport buses were popular too. That axis had different estates too.

I also used to spend weekends on Lagos Island where there were Brazilian styled bungalows and families used to sit in verandahs in front of their homes for the evening breeze and watching kids play.

Then The Igbo spare part traders moved into both Festac and Lagos Island. TheIr 419s and cocaine pushers flooded into that axis and turned everywhere into an overcrowded market place, selling Tokunbo cars and spare parts at any space they could find, setting up shops everywhere, choking up the environment.

Of course their arrival brought the rise of armed robbery and crime. We moved out of Festac and used to keep hearing how it was now a crime infested place.

Once you drive past Oshodi towards Isolo, the whole mood changes.

It's really ironic that the same people that fast tracked the decay of Lagos are the same ones saying trash here today.

That is why there should not be any remorse in rebuilding Lagos, regardless of whose Ox is gored.

The same people lamenting that they are targeted by the urban renewal plans of the Lagos Government, would be the ones showing you pictures of slums and shanties in Lagos and other parts of Yorubaland as proof that their own villages are better.

Pull down everything that is an eyesore and let them return to their desirable villages.

3 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by bakynes(m): 10:23am On Jun 24, 2023
Yes, Lagos was former Capital of Nigeria with lots of infrastructure done by the British then the Federal Government but if you were born and lived in Lagos, you will understand that after the FCT was moved from Lagos to Abuja in 1991, the city was rotting away, it was a land of dirt, refuse, crime, pollution and infrastructural decay. Chaos everywhere, to say Tinubu, Fashola and their successors in Ambode and now Sanwo-Olu didn't reform Lagos and set it on a path of greatness is pure ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: The Face Of Lagos In 1999 For The Younger Ones [video] by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 24, 2023
bakynes:
Yes, Lagos was former Capital of Nigeria with lots of infrastructure done by the British then the Federal Government but if you were born and lived in Lagos, you will understand that after the FCT was moved from Lagos to Abuja in 1991, the city was rotting away, it was a land of dirt, refuse, crime, pollution and infrastructural decay. Chaos everywhere, to say Tinubu, Fashola and their successors in Ambode and now Sanwo-Olu didn't reform Lagos and set it on a path of greatness is pure ignorance.

Don’t mind them, we the original settlers know Tinubu has the magic wand, he did it in Lagos he can surely do it again at the Center. We finally got it right for once in our life time! God bless Nigeria and all lovers of Nigeria 🇳🇬

Even Chicago proudly displays Tinubu as one of their notable alumni on google (he’s ranked 2nd, he should be ranked first in my humble opinion)

https://www.pegasusreporters.com/2022/01/24/bola-tinubu-ranks-second-in-15-notable-alumni-of-chicago-state-university-edurank/

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Entire APC State Working Committee In Adamawa Decamp To PDP / Election Was Rigged Against Banky W, Daddy Freeze Insist, Slams Obi's Supporters / We Need Justice, If Nigerians Hit The Streets, Nigeria Won't Be The Same Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.