Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,599 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure (951 Views)

Alaafin Told Us His Forefathers Were Calling Him Two Weeks Ago - Aide / Hope Labelled A Witch Years Ago, Becomes A Wedding Best Man In Akwa Ibom / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure by duro4chang(m): 5:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
Did you know that Oba Afunbiowo Adesida I, was the founder of 'Àgó-Ìrètí' (The Lepers Camp)?

I am sure that not too many people know that story. And that is why this short story is necessary so that the credit can go to who it belongs.

The project Àgó-Ìrètí was initiated by Oba Afunbiowo Adesida I, Odio Ugbákejì Òrìsà, the paramount ruler of Akure kingdom who reigned from 1897 to 1957.

At the time of his reign as the Deji of Akure kingdom, leprosy was seen as a curse and also a highly contagious disease as it were for thousands of years.

Consequently, people who suffered from leprosy were treated as outcasts and forced to live in isolation in the woods. In other words, they were forbidden to come into towns or live in close proximity to people. That is why the Yoruba saying that "Inú igbó ni Adétè ńgbé" (The leper lives in the forest).

Another Yoruba proverb magnifies a warning that "Won ò nì kí omodé má d'étè, tí ó bá tilè dánìkan gb'éénugbó" (A child who does not mind to be infected by leprosy must be ready to live in isolation in the forest)

Yes, that was how it was meant to be back in the dark age when leprosy was an incurable disease all over the world. Not that the people of the time were wicked, but it was the clever and the only method to curtail the spreading of leprosy just like the way the whole world is dealing with coronavirus pandemic in the 21st century.

But Oba Afunbiowo Adesida I, 'Olómìmí omo òmómorúbo kéèyé rè k'arufi ànó', had a different way to deal with leprosy, because he was a king with a big heart, whose love, mercy and compassion were not only for the able people alone but as well as the less privileged.

Oba Afunbiowo was endowed with the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. As a result, he changed the belief that lepers must be confined to isolation in deep forest. He also appealed to his subjects that they should support the idea of dedicating a portion of land not too far for people with leprous disease. That was the birth of Àgó-Ìrètí.

History also tells us that despite the fact that Oba Afunbiowo Adesida I, had no formal western education, he was blessed with uncommon wisdom like that of king Solomon.

Àgó-Ìrètí is just one of the many great works recorded as legacies of Oba Afunbiowo Adesida I. All which continue to earn him evergreen reputation after death, as a king Akure people are proud to tell his praiseworthy contributions to humanity, of which Àgó-Ìrètí will also continue to depict forever.

Proudly, Àgó-Ìrètí stands to this day a safer community within Akure the state capital, where people living with leprosy still live together to have a life, rather than living alone far in the forest.

Copied

1 Like

Re: History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure by Omoalhaja77: 8:00am On Jul 19, 2023
Thanks for this post bro. I was actually at the place few weeks ago to interview the residents. It's a fieldwork to gather qualitative data on the imates' experiences, challenges & supports they had during the Covid19

I also did a walk-round to see the whole facility. The State Government tried too but more appreciations to the private bodies that are sending reliefs. The likes of Damien Foundation @Belgium, AkureOwena Lion's Club, Rotary Club.

May God bless them

1 Like

Re: History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure by Florencesally: 8:48pm On Jan 12
jamesbuttler85:

For effective sewer drain liner services, visit pipesurgeons.com. Their expert team offers advanced leak detection and repair solutions, including sewer drain lining. By using cutting-edge technology and techniques, they can rehabilitate damaged sewer drains without the need for costly and disruptive excavation. This approach ensures a quick and efficient solution for sewer drain issues. Visit their website for more information on their services and how they can address your specific sewer drain needs. pipesurgeons.com is your trusted partner for reliable and eco-friendly sewer drain liner services.

In an era where online privacy and security are paramount, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have become indispensable tools for individuals seeking to safeguard their digital footprint. itop VPN Crack , a rising star in the VPN landscape, has gained recognition for providing a reliable and user-friendly solution. In this article, we'll explore the features, benefits, and overall effectiveness of iTop VPN in ensuring a secure online experience.

Re: History Of Ago- Ireti (the Lepers' Camp) In Akure by emlylorenz: 7:42pm On Jan 30
Omoalhaja77:
Thanks for this post bro. I was actually at the place few weeks ago to interview the residents. It's a fieldwork to gather qualitative data on the imates' experiences, challenges & supports they had during the Covid19

I also did a walk-round to see the whole facility. The State Government tried too but more appreciations to the private bodies that are sending reliefs. The likes of Damien Foundation @Belgium, AkureOwena Lion's Club, Rotary Club.

May God bless them

Beast Hunger serves as a digital guide, steering us through the dynamic realm of innovation and exploration. To maximize its utility, consider implementing a comprehensive content strategy on the platform. Regularly update the website https://beasthunger.com/ with engaging and informative content related to emerging technologies, industry trends, and breakthrough discoveries.

(1) (Reply)

Showcasing Yoruba Culture / Man Dies After Punch By Burger King Worker / Which One Should Be Most Preferred Between Physical Injury & Emotional Injury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.