Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,578 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? (2833 Views)

Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome / Is 30k Salary Good For A Second Class Upper Student(b.sc) / Testimonies Of Second-Class Lower Graduates Who Have Good Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by Icon4s(m): 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2007
Tuesdays and thursdays are special days for Nigerian job seekers.Y?Tuesday and thursday guardian Newspaper.

Withing the last few years I have noticed that Banks,Manufacturing Companies and even accounting firms like KPMG,PWC, Delloite etc.Recruit across board i.e all discplines more especially if they specify 2:1.

Gone are the days when the Banks are meant for Management Science gradautes.Infact Banks now employ Science and Engineering Graduates more than other fields probably because they are better numerically and hence perform better in aptitude tests.

Also take for instance in Accounting firms like KPMG,PWC and DELLOITE have you noticed that a good no. of Trainees have Engineering backgrounds.But have you also noticed that when you see Graduate trainee vacancies in Engineering and Petroleum Companies, they most often specify Engineering/Geosciences.

When you come to Schorlaships like PTDF it is still mostly Engineering/Geosciences.Does this now imply that Engineering/Science disciplines are now more lucrative than management sciences like Accounting, Economics, Banking & Finance, Bus Admin, Marketing etc?

My good people what do you think about this matter?
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by doncnn(m): 4:06pm On Aug 28, 2007
the fact is dat, with trainings engrs hav, they think faster when it comes to problem solving, thus employers prefare them more
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by Syenite(m): 7:26pm On Aug 28, 2007
The fact is Engineering/Technical/Science graduate have higher IQ, analytical abilities and numerical skills which help them to excel in aptitude tests.

More over the business world is changing.ICT has taken over.Todays banking operations are such that any smart or intelligent graduate irrespective of his/her discipline can perform well.

A couple of today's Bank Executives have Engineering and science backgrounds.All they did was to go for an MBA,ACCA,ICAN etc.Of which they also perform well.

So if you are a Management/Social Science graduate just buckle-up and compete with them.As for me all my kids will have to study the sciences to sharpen their IQ.
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by akumbu: 4:36pm On Aug 30, 2007
Syenite,
You just got the correct reply.
But Banks are actually helping out every category of graduates, smart and dull inclusive b/c there is actually no brain work in some of the banking practices, they involve some science and engineering gradautes in the taskful operations.
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by donbuchi1(m): 7:14pm On Aug 30, 2007
the fact is that it is a trainee thing. open for all. science candidates would perform better cos they are better in maths related questions. where business candidates despise.we can always do averagely in English questions. we have the capacity to think better in reasoning(s). then we we get in there, we get trained.
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by fabulous10(m): 9:30am On Aug 31, 2007
The fact is Engineering/Technical/Science graduate have higher IQ, analytical abilities and numerical skills which help them to excel in aptitude tests.
i totally disagree with this statement.who said engineering do hve a higher IQ ability compared to social science, we all did statistical analysis in school and i belive it even helps us to know more abt managerial studies in which we use numerial and analitcal skills in which can be applied to the banking sector or any business available.
In terms of IQ, i belive its an individual thing. And if u look at it this way, how many engineering firms, construction firms and oil companies are availabe and how many engineers can they employ. we all know for now,its the banking sector that employs 70% of our graduates.As for social science graduate, u hve more chance in getting a job in a bank, cos u will grab faster than the engineering graduate who tends to know notting about management talk less of marketing ability.
But like i said, everything na individual thing, So na just God
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by rapidoch: 11:33am On Aug 31, 2007
fabolous,
I disagree with you in the sense that an average engineering Graduate has a better analytical and reasoning ability than social science or other field of endeavour. men you cant rule that out. However,God is the one that gives job, not your aptitude test or the excellent performance in interview.
I have an engineering background,I have written alot of aptitude tests and interviews since graduation,passed most of them,but could not get the job when i neded it badly. Now I work as a Wellsite drilling Engineer in one of the fastest growing E&P company in Nigeria.
finally,Fellow landers,just put in your best in the course of searching for job and your trust in God,He will surely do it for you,but at his own time. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR OWN INTELLIGENCE.
Cheers.
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by biggjoe(m): 12:45pm On Sep 01, 2007
raspidoch,
some people will not agree wit u until they see where you used the word 'average'. I agree with you.
however I agree with you as long as you continue to use the word average because back in schooldays, i have classmates that cannot pass elementary six questions but they are engineers today.
Re: A Minimum Of Second Class Hons. From Any Discipline? by tejutaiwoh(m): 2:32am On Sep 03, 2007
Maersk line invited me for a test on wednesday %th sept<anybody in the house who have done the test?pls info
taiwo

(1) (Reply)

Globacom Is Recruiting Secretly / Ascon Badagry Test / Westford Marine Consultants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.