Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree (34053 Views)

Delta Mysterious Tree. / Kedu Onye Nwere Ike Ikowa Ebe Ndi Igbo Siri Puta / Discovery Of The Week>The Mysterious Skeleton Lake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Soundmind(m): 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2007
I have heard of this mysterious tree called "nnunu ebe" only in story. It is believed that it found in some part of Igbo land. The story said that birds do not petch on it and the leaves does not fall on ground. If the leaves want to fall, birds will carry it back to the top of the tree. No grass or living things grow under it or within its radius. If any bird touches it, it dies instantly. So also other living things.
Pls, can some one tell me of this wonderful tree?

2 Likes

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by BlackMamba(m): 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2007
A lot of them grow in fantasy island.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 31, 2007
@ Soundmind i've heard about this tree too. It's called Igi-Nla (big tree) in Yoruba land. It definitely exists because i remember back when i was in Ife a lecturer mentioned it briefly in a botany class (an elective, not my core discipline). I did some asking around older folks, turns out they know about it too, but much of what they told me is unsubstantiated hearsay, no firsthand experience. I heard there's one standing somewhere in Ekiti state, whwnever i have the time i intend to go find out.

Also online research led me to articles on a tropical upas tree antiaris toxicaria, look it up. It may not be the particular specie found in Nigeria but this confirms it's possible from a scientific standpoint.

Please Keep me posted if you get anything concrete to go on, cos this phenomenon has kept me fascinated for years
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Soundmind(m): 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2007
@ mamba

Pls, where exactly is this island? Can it be found anywhere in Nigeria?
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by BlackMamba(m): 9:45pm On Sep 04, 2007
Soundmind:
@ mamba
Please, where exactly is this island? Can it be found anywhere in Nigeria?

The tree becomes clearly visible from any location, after blazing some weed. Try some joints in Onu-Asata.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Kashif(m): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2007
Mamba, I have not seen but I have heard a lot about this tree. Not believing in something does not affect its existence. In this vein, I advise you ask elders around you about this tree instead of advertising your ignorance. Peace!

1 Like

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by dachamp(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ mamba
Please, where exactly is this island? Can it be found anywhere in Nigeria?

The tree becomes clearly visible from any location, after blazing some weed. Try some joints in Onu-Asata.

LOL SOUNDMIND was expecting a diff. response from what BLACKMAMBA
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by oge4real(f): 2:34pm On Sep 05, 2007
@mamba,
your ignorance does not mean something is not in existence.

1 Like

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by nawa1(m): 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2007
yes i've not only heard of it, i've seen so many. the leaves are mostly black, and its everywhere on earth, i sure you too have one planted in your garden.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by tundewoods(m): 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2007
The tree does actually exists,i have been opportuned to have first hand information on this tree.Villagers have also claimed that they hear voices of crying babies coming from the bottom base of the tree.

whether it is a rumour or myth,i cannot acertain yet.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by mimiko(f): 3:50pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ soudmind
u re caught up in this ur mysterious tree so much that u dont even know when someone like Black Mamba is pulling your leg, take it easy ooo
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by opokonwa(m): 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2007
Try Tales by Moonlight!!! shocked shocked shocked

tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by dj4wealth: 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2007
Story Land, smiley wink
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 05, 2007
BlackMamba:

this Blackmamba na case grin
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by ATTAHDYE(m): 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2007
Soundmind
this line contradicts everything u said:

''The story said that birds do not petch on it and the leaves does not fall on ground. If the leaves want to fall, birds will carry it back to the top of the tree''.

you said anything that touch it dies. how do the birds carry the fallen leaves back to the tree?

2 Likes

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by midastouch: 6:26pm On Sep 05, 2007
As with everything that is happening, not knowing ones cultural history and tradition is one of the greatest tragedies that is befalling us in Africa.

This particular tree is a deity. It is worshiped by its adherents. Everything that @Soundmind said about this tree is very true. Birds and insects dont perch on it. Its leaves or figs dont fall to the ground, nothing green grows under it. You dare not approach it beyond a certain distance. It talks. And when its help is sought it sends an emissary in the form of its fig to accompany the petitioner. This is accompanied by a loud clap of thunderous sound.

The fact that you have never heard about it; have never visited it; or dont come from the particular locality where this deity exists does not in any way make this "a fairy tale", or "tales by moonlight".

Nigeria is beautiful, rich in tradition and wonder.

Explore and get some education about your very roots!!!

As with other wonders in this beautiful land of ours, in Owerri Axis there exists a river that is a deity. It does not mix with other water no matter how hard you try. The wonder continues when you go along with the river to a confluence where it meets another river that is also a deity. Their confluence is a tempestous sight. If for any reason some water from river A flows into River B, if flows right back violently. If for any reason a fish from river A swims across into the other river B; the fishes in river B get very aggressive and drive it right back to river A. If you put river A in a glass cup with say another water source, you'll see a very visible separation gap between them that resembles the situation where you put kerosene and water in a glass cup.

Science could never explain any of these. But our ancestors and our fathers understand them though.

What else do you have to say

2 Likes

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Soundmind(m): 6:42pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ ATTAHDYE
This is what i heard, i have not seen the tree myself, i wrote based on what i was told.

@ mimiko
That is my state now. I am being confused the more. If the tree is in onu asata, i would not have asked at all because i know onu asata very well.

@ ziddy
I have read about the tree you mentioned there. Form what i found there, it exists but very scanty. They did not mention the oart of Africa we can see the tree.
Thanks for your imput, it help me alot.

Thank you all for your contribution.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by omoge(f): 10:32pm On Sep 05, 2007
my mom told us stories abt the Nnunu ebe too but i haven't seen one.

is the tree same as the iroko? iroko too have lots of stories, myth and tales of cries coming out of it.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by amaikama(m): 9:00am On Sep 06, 2007
it could be the tree of life and death, "whosoever shall eat of it shall not die but live and whosoever that is death when birth with the tree leaves when cooked shall live for ever more."

is it possible that naija is part of the garden of eden?
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by nawa1(m): 9:46am On Sep 06, 2007
midastouch:

As with everything that is happening, not knowing ones cultural history and tradition is one of the greatest tragedies that is befalling us in Africa.

This particular tree is a deity. It is worshiped by its adherents. Everything that @Soundmind said about this tree is very true. Birds and insects don't perch on it. Its leaves or figs don't fall to the ground, nothing green grows under it. You dare not approach it beyond a certain distance. It talks. And when its help is sought it sends an emissary in the form of its fig to accompany the petitioner. This is accompanied by a loud clap of thunderous sound.

The fact that you have never heard about it; have never visited it; or don't come from the particular locality where this deity exists does not in any way make this "a fairy tale", or "tales by moonlight".

Nigeria is beautiful, rich in tradition and wonder.

Explore and get some education about your very roots!!!

As with other wonders in this beautiful land of ours, in Owerri Axis there exists a river that is a deity. It does not mix with other water no matter how hard you try. The wonder continues when you go along with the river to a confluence where it meets another river that is also a deity. Their confluence is a tempestous sight. If for any reason some water from river A flows into River B, if flows right back violently. If for any reason a fish from river A swims across into the other river B; the fishes in river B get very aggressive and drive it right back to river A. If you put river A in a glass cup with say another water source, you'll see a very visible separation gap between them that resembles the situation where you put kerosene and water in a glass cup.

Science could never explain any of these. But our ancestors and our fathers understand them though.

What else do you have to say

this things are so true, it's still in existence even till today. i also heard that nobody can take a picture of it, if you dare it, the camera will explode and kill you instantly. and for some reasons if you succeed to snap and post the pictures here on nairaland, it will short down Seun server, render it irredeemable and it will also negativity affect every body viewing the site at the moment. sad
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Shaunscot(m): 10:11am On Sep 06, 2007
na wa:

this things are so true, it's still in existence even till today. i also heard that nobody can take a picture of it, if you dare it, the camera will explode and kill you instantly. and for some reasons if you succeed to snap and post the pictures here on nairaland, it will short down Seun server, render it irredeemable and it will also negativity affect every body viewing the site at the moment. sad
Na real wa 4 u o.
So the tree get technological effects alongside toxicity

@post
No comments.I know nothing about it

1 Like

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Keziah(f): 11:57am On Sep 06, 2007
ATTAHDYE:

Soundmind
this line contradicts everything u said:

''The story said that birds do not petch on it and the leaves does not fall on ground. If the leaves want to fall, birds will carry it back to the top of the tree''.

you said anything that touch it dies. how do the birds carry the fallen leaves back to the tree?
My brother God go bless u.

@midastouch
You for put that  story for BBC or CNN i bet your village will make alot of money from Tourism. You guys better wake up and think logically before u start posting.
If these trees exist, why isn't  anybody bringing it to limelight and we make it a tourist attraction? Abi all those things Oyinbo use for tourism are they more wonderful and awesome than this your wonderful tree?
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by lovelyS(m): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2007
There is this TREE in very centre of OTA (In Ogun State).

You must not point @ it
You must not laugh around the area where it stands
When the time of its ceremonious festival comes, all the babies between the age of 1 day to 6months will be taken out of the village. . .reason is  the spirit of the baby doesnt like the voice of Babies.

I was told that in the early days in Ota,one of the King's wife turn to the tree when she was trying to know how ORO (I  dont how it looks like though) look like.

Anyone From Ota pls ??
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Shaunscot(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
lovely_S:

There is this TREE in very centre of OTA (In Ogun State).

You must not point @ it
You must not laugh around the area where it stands
When the time of its ceremonious festival comes, all the babies between the age of 1 day to 6months will be taken out of the village. . .reason is the spirit of the baby doesnt like the voice of Babies.

I was told that in the early days in Ota,one of the King's wife turn to the tree when she was trying to know how ORO (I don't how it looks like though) look like.

Anyone From Ota please ??

Tell me about it.Im not from Ota but I live there.Oju-Ore happens to be the HEART of Ota and there is no such tree.
If you could be more precise,id help u out.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by lovelyS(m): 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2007
Shaunscot:

Tell me about it.I'm not from Ota but I live there.Oju-Ore happens to be the HEART of Ota and there is no such tree.
If you could be more precise,id help u out.

Cant believe you live in Ota and you dont know this story. . .Anyway,I schooled in OTA (Iganmode Grammar School) and i have a friend lived in Oke-Ide and His house is just minutes trek from the tree.

Do you know anything about Koto-Otun?. . .They have been dumping a hell of refuse in this ealy days well but till tommorow its not been fill up.

Ara Ile Waja (Neighbour comes to market). . .Pls Holla Back
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by redsun(m): 1:45pm On Sep 06, 2007
It could be a poisonous tree,some trees are laden with poison to protect them from predators that preys on them,birds know from experience,thus its scarcity due to probably less pollination by birds.Nothing is a mystery in life,every thing is open to observation and explanation,trees are alive and they evolve diffrently.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by nawa1(m): 2:07pm On Sep 06, 2007
@redsun

you are my man. in dis life nothing is truly a mystery, and it's not a mystery either for somebody to post such a topic on a public forum.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by opokonwa(m): 2:29pm On Sep 06, 2007
this things are so true, it's still in existence even till today. i also heard that nobody can take a picture of it, if you dare it, the camera will explode and kill you instantly. and for some reasons if you succeed to snap and post the pictures here on nairaland, it will short down Seun server, render it irredeemable and it will also negativity affect every body viewing the site at the moment.  

The above is the funniest part of this thread grin grin grin grin I could not help laughing aloud.

My own is whether this tree exists or not, it does not change the price of Garri in the market, does it But wait a minute, assuming that there is any tree with so much powers as you guys claim, don't you think it would have entered the Guinness Book of Records I mean more bizzare documentaries have been documented, why won't this one Oyibo's would have fallen over themselves to record it both in motion and in print. And they would not need to approach it; super-zoom camera's can record almost anything from miles!

Abeg make una no dey deceive una sef with incredible tales. I choose to name this thread; Tales by Moonlight thread!

I'm not so naive not to know that some deities or evil spirits may possess a tree just like they possess human beings and haunt houses. And by whatever means, they might ensure plants don't grow underneath or no leaves are lying underneath by clearing it thmselves! They can even go to the extent of attacking you and taking your life because such spirits can be violent and bloodthirsty.

But your incredible tales of leaves not falling, birds picking them up, no one can approach them, camera shatters, blah, blah blah blah is too much for this information age. They are simply folktales told to enlarge the mythic status and aura of such spirits and the objects they possess.

You can do us a favour; show us exactly where it is and we may contact the Guinness Book of Records to immediately come flying down here! tongue tongue tongue And they will very well jump into the next plane because they love incredible stories like this

And you may make some money too lol tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by BlackMamba(m): 3:40pm On Sep 06, 2007
I can see how hard it is for the feeble-minded to differentiate folk tales from reality. If you're still interested in a tour of the mystery tree, it will cost you a meagre fee of 10 cowries. I'll throw in a free tour of the Talking Juju.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by NaJaHaJe(f): 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
OMG I cant believe in this day and age you people are still riled up about nonsense.  I literally fell off my chair laughing

na wa  ooooooooo

all the juju in africa neva do una na tree wey supposedly get feelings wey dey give una feva like  this.

hhhhhhmmmmm wonders shall neva seize.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by penfold(m): 4:18pm On Sep 06, 2007
Hmmmmm, all these posts remind me of a line in Kongi's 'Death and the King's Horseman'

"-------- the white man, the so-called learned fellows, what they do not understand they rubbish (discredit)---------- "

Na Wa O!!!
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by nanaboi(m): 5:32pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ Blackmamba,
I use 2 think it was stupidity u were cursed with
then I had a re-think

considered naivety
had anotha rethink

"he probably has so much of the western civilization that he's trapped in the middle - lost to his roots and the white man's", I thot
But then I know say na lie.

your village is probably the richest in black magic. You guys are probably darker than the dark ages, yet u pretend u know nothing of the roots.
It's either that or u're from an exceptionally asinine tribe

What bovine stupidity to echo your ignorance!

You no well and u no go eva fit well again

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning / Funny But True African Proverbs / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi In Brazil With His Wives (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.