Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,180 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers (609 Views)

Please I Need Explanation Of This Express.js Code / Abuja Php Programmers Where Are You? I Have A Job For You / Need Professional Php Programmers For A Project, Money Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by WallStreetfx(m): 12:18pm On Jan 24, 2023
embarassed embarassed embarassed please i need explanation i dont what the variable is result is doing in the function

Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by qtguru(m): 12:38pm On Jan 24, 2023
Checks if Email is valid, why not consult php manual ?
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by stanliwise(m): 12:31am On Jan 25, 2023
WallStreetfx:
embarassed embarassed embarassed please i need explanation i dont what the variable is result is doing in the function
That is filter_var() function, it is used to check or validate input based on the choice of algorithm you choose.

FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL is a constant that will choose algorithm for validating email
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by fhranchez(m): 11:14pm On Jan 25, 2023
Why would anyone want to validate emails from the backend? Unless for educational purposes, all data are being validated at the frontend to save time
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by qtguru(m): 12:17am On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:
Why would anyone want to validate emails from the backend? Unless for educational purposes, all data are being validated at the frontend to save time

JS can be disabled, Backend is your best point to secure bad input

4 Likes

Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by truthCoder: 1:52am On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:

Every good programmer validates at the backend.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by airsaylongcome: 9:03am On Jan 26, 2023
qtguru:
Checks if Email is valid, why not consult php manual ?

Baba, let's link up on Slack. There's a possible Laravel/Django gig from Malta
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by silento(m): 10:47am On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:

First rule of web development never trust an input from a user

Unless you are coding for yourself , always validate every input at backend else ....,

1 Like

Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by bassdow: 11:37am On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:

never trust the USER.

I suggest frontEnd + backEnd Validations. That way, the frontEnd validation spots and informs the user of potential errors so as to save time of going back & fort. The backEnd validation is a must and should never be skipped.

Moreover that code above is unnecessarily long. Shouldn't exceed 4 lines, and with ternary operator, should be just a single line. Still recall when PHP was the only language I spoke. Kai

1 Like

Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by fhranchez(m): 1:43pm On Jan 26, 2023
bassdow:

never trust the USER.

I suggest frontEnd + backEnd Validations. That way, the frontEnd validation spots and informs the user of potential errors so as to save time of going back & fort. The backEnd validation is a must and should never be skipped.

Moreover that code above is unnecessarily long. Shouldn't exceed 4 lines, and with ternary operator, should be just a single line. Still recall when PHP was the only language I spoke. Kai
you mean data sanitization?
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by fhranchez(m): 1:45pm On Jan 26, 2023
Wow, so ya'll devs can't differentiate between data validation and and data sanitization?
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by bassdow: 3:33pm On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:
you mean data sanitization?

Sanitizing differs from Validation.
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by fhranchez(m): 10:38pm On Jan 26, 2023
bassdow:

Sanitizing differs from Validation.
thank you, not trusting the user is sanitizing the input, but guiding the user to make valid inputs is validation. So, why should i do that in the backend again, if not for time wasting
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by 404Dev: 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2023
fhranchez:
thank you, not trusting the user is sanitizing the input, but guiding the user to make valid inputs is validation. So, why should i do that in the backend again, if not for time wasting

1. Javascript can be disabled and your validation rules would not even run and you would run into big problems by working with wrong input (database errors, huge logical errors).

2. Anything on the front end can y manipulated by the user. 98% of users would not know how to do this, but it can be done, so if you are using user input without validation and sanitation, you are setting yourself up for big headaches.

An example for context, let's say you are building a grants app that allows users to request grants from the government. But each user can request a maximum of NGN 500,000 only. And you create a validation function on the frontend that checks the input and ensures the value is below the limit before submitting the form.

If I decide javascript from my browser, then your validation function will never run and I successfully request for a grant of NGN 10,000,000 without any issues.

So even if you validate on the frontend, you should always always validate on the backend.

Never ever trust any input from the end user.
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by fhranchez(m): 12:47am On Jan 27, 2023
404Dev:

1. Javascript can be disabled and your validation rules would not even run and you would run into big problems by working with wrong input (database errors, huge logical errors).

2. Anything on the front end can y manipulated by the user. 98% of users would not know how to do this, but it can be done, so if you are using user input without validation and sanitation, you are setting yourself up for big headaches.

An example for context, let's say you are building a grants app that allows users to request grants from the government. But each user can request a maximum of NGN 500,000 only. And you create a validation function on the frontend that checks the input and ensures the value is below the limit before submitting the form.

If I decide javascript from my browser, then your validation function will never run and I successfully request for a grant of NGN 10,000,000 without any issues.

So even if you validate on the frontend, you should always always validate on the backend.

Never ever trust any input from the end user.
hmm, nice one
Re: I Need Explanation On This Code?? Php Programmers by truthCoder: 2:51am On Jan 27, 2023
fhranchez:
Wow, so ya'll devs can't differentiate between data validation and and data sanitization?

So you don’t validate inputs on your backend?

Every garbage that can bypass the frontend wham…straight into your database?

Wonderment.

(1) (Reply)

Rate My Portfolio Website / The Next X Prize Wants To Revolutionize Education / After PHP What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.