Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common (1607 Views)

Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True / 5 Foods You Should Never Wash Before Cooking / 4 Foods Nigerian Students Can Relate To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by phosky(m): 11:29am On Jan 25, 2023
Jollof rice

Ghanaians and Nigerians have jollof rice in common

There is no way we are going to start this list without mentioning the jollof rice we all know and love. Ordinary from Senegal and made from essentially the same ingredients, Nigerians and Ghanaians are jollof rice buddies.
Banga soup

There is banga soup in Ghana and Nigeria

This meal made from palm oil and starch and popular in the South-South and South-East part of Nigeria is also a Ghanaian delicacy.
Egusi soup

Egusi soup {demand africa}

We bet many Nigerians think they are the owners of Egusi soup, but Ghanaians have their version, and it is called ‘agushi’, it is made of the same melon seeds and palm oil.
Rice and stew

Both Nigerians and Ghanaians eat white rice and stew [Medium]

Both Nigerians and Ghanaians love their rice and stew (made from tomatoes and pepper). Though Ghanaians are known for soaking boiled eggs in theirs.
Fufu

Fufu is also common in the two countries

link : https://makesensepromotions.com/5-meals-nigerian-and-ghanaians-have-in-common/

1 Share

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 12:46pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nigeria might share some foods in common with Ghana, but we do most of them better.
When it comes to rice and beans, I'd give it to Ghana.
One thing about Ghanaian cuisine that I don't like is that they hardly use leafy vegetables, which make their soups appear naked.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 4:05am On Jan 26, 2023
mariahAngel:
Nigeria might share some foods in common with Ghana, but we do most of them better.
One thing about Ghanaian cuisine that I don't like is that they hardly use leafy vegetables, which make their soups appear naked.

That’s true but it’s not like Yoruba people for the most part are any better. I agree that the difference between Nigerian and Ghanaian food is a bit hard to swallow when you look at it especially through a more Igbotic lens.

Ghana jollof is neither here nor there. I honestly don’t feel like it’s too bad but it ain’t better than Senegalese or Naija jollof.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 7:18am On Jan 26, 2023
Probz:

That’s true but it’s not like Yoruba people for the most part are any better. I agree that the difference between Nigerian and Ghanaian food is a bit hard to swallow when you look at it especially through a more Igbotic lens.

Ghana jollof is neither here nor there. I honestly don’t feel like it’s too bad but it ain’t better than Senegalese or Naija jollof.

At least, the Yorubas have their efo riro and efo elegusi.
I'm yet to see a Ghanaian food with a good amount of leafy vegetables.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 11:30am On Jan 26, 2023
mariahAngel:

At least, the Yorubas have their efo riro and efo elegusi.
I'm yet to see a Ghanaian food with a good amount of leafy vegetables.

I think they use sandwich ingredients (cheese and tuna) to flavour/garnish their soups, alongside copious amounts of shite shito pepper, to tell you the truth. Onugbu-capable they most-certainly are not.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 2:42pm On Jan 26, 2023
Probz:

I think they use sandwich ingredients (cheese and tuna) to flavour/garnish their soups, alongside copious amounts of shite shito pepper, to tell you the truth. Onugbu-capable they most-certainly are not.

You must really like onugbu so much. cheesy
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 5:42pm On Jan 26, 2023
mariahAngel:

You must really like onugbu so much. cheesy

I don’t like onugbu that much, t.b.h., (although being from the part of Anambra I’m from it’s very-much a quintessential staple ofe) but I’m a sucker for egusi and ukwa with unwashed bitter-leaves (I had some of the latter yesterday with a sprinkling of akara). I think that’s how it is with me more than anything (a mixture of sweetness and unadulterated bitterness). But generally Nri-Oka people (my axis) can’t do without onugbu, especially my auntie Nkechi (she was renowned for the making the best onugbu, ukwa and small chops in Awka). The grassroots and meticulous cooking gene rubs off on me from both sides of t’family but onugbu’s something I just leave to the experts. I wouldn’t know how to prepare that if my life depended on it it’s that challenging, IMO. And to be fair I’m not even from Nnewi so I can do without loving pure ofe onugbu like that.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by gloryhomemaker(f): 8:06pm On Jan 26, 2023
Probz:

I don’t like onugbu that much, t.b.h., (although being from the part of Anambra I’m from it’s very-much a quintessential staple ofe) but I’m a sucker for egusi and ukwa with unwashed bitter-leaves (I had some of the latter yesterday with a sprinkling of akara). I think that’s how it is with me more than anything (a mixture of sweetness and unadulterated bitterness). But generally Nri-Oka people (my axis) can’t do without onugbu, especially my auntie Nkechi (she was renowned for the making the best onugbu, ukwa and small chops in Awka). The grassroots and meticulous cooking gene rubs off on me from both sides of t’family but onugbu’s something I just leave to the experts. I wouldn’t know how to prepare that if my life depended on it it’s that challenging, IMO. And to be fair I’m not even from Nnewi so I can do without loving pure ofe onugbu like that.

Am intrigued with the Ukwa with unwashed bitter leaves and Akara. Did you eat both together or at different times.

Nri-Oka reminds me of my mother. It was the best swallow growing up.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 3:03am On Jan 27, 2023
gloryhomemaker:

Am intrigued with the Ukwa with unwashed bitter leaves and Akara. Did you eat both together or at different times.

Nri-Oka reminds me of my mother. It was the best swallow growing up.

Ah, the thing is I meant Nri-Awka/Oka as a geographical axis but nni-oka (as in corn fufu) is a good swallow for ogbono. Ever eat it with anything else, did you, when you were with your mum?

I actually ate the akara together with the ukwa (same bowl, sef) but common sense would probably suggest I wasn’t supposed to. I was just feeling adventurous.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by gloryhomemaker(f): 7:53am On Jan 27, 2023
Probz:

Ah, the thing is I meant Nri-Awka/Oka as a geographical axis but nni-oka (as in corn fufu) is a good swallow for ogbono. Ever eat it with anything else, did you, when you were with your mum?

I actually ate the akara together with the ukwa (same bowl, sef) but common sense would probably suggest I wasn’t supposed to. I was just feeling adventurous.

We ate Nni-Oka with all soups.
My mother will start up with small Alibo then add the Oka to give it that little stretchy feel.

Nni-Oka with Ofe Ogbono is everything!

Adventure in food is nice too, that's how we discover new recipes.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2023
Probz:

I was going to further ask about the ukwa/onugbu combo, but I see that nne already did that.
It's weird.

1 Like

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 6:15pm On Jan 27, 2023
One Ghana food in particular that doesn’t quite slap with me is banku (their version of okro soup). It’s almost like it’s trying to be surf-and-turf ogbono (if ever there even was such a thing Naij.-ends in t’first place) but with a sprinkling of undercooked okra and all-in-all it just doesn’t taste nice. Yoruba people (Ondo-lite people, who actually have a unique and brilliant take on it, aside, obviously) are also terrible with okra soup. You might say that at least alasepo variants have vegetables in it but the average Yoruba person isn’t really about the ugu/greens life and they can’t even make okro draw without a blender/mortar and pestle or kaun. Nonsense like that can seriously mess with your stomach but instead of learning how to cook these things properly they mix their half-done okro with broom-infested ewedu. They really are a shambles when it comes to their silly soups (efo riro isn’t bad but that’s completely different). I love my woman-dem/man-dem from all corners of Nigeria but on the topic of food mainstream Yoruba (as in morning to do with Ekiti, Ondo or the interior chunks of Osun state) soups are mostly pretty awful.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Hatrick01: 10:58am On Jan 28, 2023
mariahAngel:
why will u give rice nd beans to them?

I trust our nigerian women they can cook paradise on earth
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 11:01am On Jan 28, 2023
Hatrick01:

It’s not only women who can bring paradise to earth cooking-wise. Did you know that?
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2023
Hatrick01:

Why won't I give them rice and beans? cheesy
Have you seen Ghanaian waakye (rice and beans)? Very vibrant looking something!
How many Nigerians can cook rice and beans well?

Na only una sabi cook everything? Aseju people! grin
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Hatrick01: 2:17pm On Jan 30, 2023
mariahAngel:

u must be a ghanaian
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 4:01pm On Jan 30, 2023
Hatrick01:
u must be a ghanaian

In that case, akwaaba! hahahahahahaha grin
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Hatrick01: 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
mariahAngel:

lol
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by armyofone(m): 8:17pm On Jan 30, 2023
mariahAngel:

You don turn Ghana today huh Iya mi ?

For waakye, then you must share fa. Akwaaaba dalu nwa mama!
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by armyofone(m): 8:19pm On Jan 30, 2023
mariahAngel:

Maybe Nigerians cook waakye with palm oil hence the non vibrant look.

Ghana cook theirs with ground nut oil like hausawa.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 8:47pm On Jan 30, 2023
armyofone:

My favourite way of making rice and beans is cooking it in rich tomato sauce (like jollof).
It's super delicious delicious.

armyofone:

You don turn Ghana today huh Iya mi ?

For waakye, then you must share fa. Akwaaaba dalu nwa mama!

Hahahahahahahahahaha
Iya mi, for waakye, I can be Ghanaian. grin

The special thing about their rice and beans is that they add sorghum leaves (very nutritious), which gives it its signature vibrant colour.
The beans and rice just absorbs that attractive colour.

Below are pictures of Ghana waakye:

Pic 1: Sorghum leaves.

Cc: Hatrick01

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Hatrick01: 9:00pm On Jan 30, 2023
mariahAngel:

My favourite way of making rice and beans is cooking it in rich tomato sauce (like jollof).
It's super delicious delicious.

Hahahahahahahahahaha
Iya mi, for waakye, I can be Ghanaian. grin

The special thing about their rice and beans is that they add sorghum leaves (very nutritious), which gives it its signature vibrant colour.
The beans and rice just absorbs that attractive colour.

Below are pictures of Ghana waakye:

Pic 1: Sorghum leaves.

Cc: Hatrick01
wow
Luks nice....

When will i taste those?

Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Probz(m): 9:09pm On Jan 30, 2023
armyofone:

We don’t cook waakye in the first place. We drink zobo rather than use the leaves to cook rice.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 9:19pm On Jan 30, 2023
Hatrick01:
wow
Luks nice....

When will i taste those?

When you cook it. smiley

Probz:

We don’t cook waakye in the first place. We drink zobo rather than use the leaves to cook rice.

Mr Probz, waakye is simply rice and beans, which we very well cook but in a different way(s).
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by armyofone(m): 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2023
Probz:

I think Waakye leaf is different from the flower leaf used in making zobo fa.

Waakye is bean in Hausa. I ate waakye and kose fala fala in the north.
Reminds me of gwaruru bean - popular in the north too.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Hatrick01: 9:32am On Jan 31, 2023
mariahAngel:

When you cook it.
smiley but dunno how to cook

Mr Probz, waakye is simply rice and beans, which we very well cook but in a different way(s). [/quote]ok
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by mariahAngel(f): 11:23am On Jan 31, 2023
Hatrick01:
smiley but dunno how to cook

You can learn.
Cooking is fun, and not that hard.
Re: 5 Foods Nigerian And Ghanaians Have In Common by Kamachicho(f): 2:01pm On Jan 31, 2023
I believe that our own version of fufu (ours is from cassava) is different from theirs ( cocoyam, plantain flour prepared like amala)

My Ghanaian friends once invited me to theirs to eat "fufu" I was so happy going but was disappointed when I saw what they called fufu.

We also have eba in common but they add salt to their own ( I no fit chop am).

Rice and beans called "wache" ( not sure if it is zobo stick they add to the beans while cooking. And wait for it, they add garri to their wache for maximum enjoyment 😱

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which Malt Drink Comes Top? / What type of food is good for children? / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.