Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,229 members, 7,867,597 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:19 PM

How Blind People Are Frustrated By Inec’s Failure To Provide Braille Ballot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Blind People Are Frustrated By Inec’s Failure To Provide Braille Ballot (134 Views)

INEC’s Failure To E-Transmit Results Has Broken Nigerians’ Trust – Laolu Akande / Kukah: Nigerians Are Frustrated By Election Outcome | Justice Seems Impossible / Nigerians Are Frustrated, Says Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Blind People Are Frustrated By Inec’s Failure To Provide Braille Ballot by bestofnollywood: 9:20am On Jan 26, 2023
When Muhammad Alhaji, a resident of Patigi in Patigi Local Government Area of Kwara state cast his vote in the 2019 general elections, he had to rely on one of his relatives who guided him in choosing candidates/parties of his choice.

Though blind, Alhaji exercised his right as enshrined in the constitution, but he still was unsatisfied and suspected that he might have been cheated.

Alhaji thought the person who assisted him to cast his vote might be supporting another party other than his own and could have made him cast the vote against his wish without his knowledge.

“Though he is my son and I trusted him, one of the implications of this is that if he is an APC member and I want to vote for PDP, there are 100 percent chances that he will put my hand in APC without my knowledge. Thus, for us blind voters, our votes might not reflect our intentions.”

He told Informant247 that “There was nothing like Braille ballot or any assistive technology for us in previous elections and I don’t think we will have such in subsequent elections – especially 2023. If they will provide it, we are supposed to have gotten the information and even training by now. But nothing yet.”

Continue Reading...

https://applesbite.com/how-blind-people-are-frustrated-by-inecs-failure-to-provide-braille-ballot/

(1) (Reply)

2023: New Dawn Possible In Lagos, Pdp’s Jandor Tells Voters / Obi Cannot Win, All He Will Be Is A Nollywood Actor — El-rufai / Tinubu Should Keep Buhari's Govt Criticism To Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.