Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,944 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? (2685 Views)

Two Sisters Commit Suicide Over Rigid Religious Practices: (photos) / Horror Scene: People Taking Pictures Of Suicide Victim / Commit Adultery, Go Mad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by abelix(m): 5:02pm On Aug 28, 2007
i read somewhere that nigerians hardly commit suicide as our fellows in the far east and asia ,is it our culture or sometthing to do with nigerian spirit .help me out
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Seun(m): 4:45am On Sep 24, 2007
You must not have heard about the student that blew his own brains
recently with a gun because he had earned another extra year in school.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 24, 2007
Seun:

Blimey! shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 24, 2007
Seun:

'

Poor soul! He's gone!  cry

I just couldn't believe it that the guy could kill himself. Guess I know him, was in my dept.

I pray God to grant his family the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Sep 24, 2007
Here is the thing about Nigeria and most of Africa, the real news is not told and when it comes to putting together stats, we somehow put out what we want people to believe as against what is actually real down there. Yes, Nigerians do commit suicide both those at home and abroad and it is almost same if you compare factual data with a lot of other countries. I mean I see that statement as I would the one that claims Nigerians are the happiest people on earth, no offense but let us be real. LOL

I do not have anything against the country before some goon in here decides to switch to attack mode and claim I Am a HATER or something . But in all my years in Nigeria, I KNOw for sure that the people are not necessarily happier than the people I have met here in the west. I have asked so many times how those people who put that stat together came up with those numbers. I mean if you compare wrinkles alone, people age faster in Nigeria and it is not about there not being enough vaseline or something.

ROMBL

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by GL(f): 12:32pm On Sep 25, 2007
i think we have fewer suicides than many other countries. for one thing, we are mostly religious people and tend to think of it as a sin that would land us in hell. while some white ppl would even go and collect credit cards and spend more than they can pay and kill themselves. i think another thing is that we have stronger family ties,
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Sep 25, 2007
we have stronger family ties,
Buhahaha!
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 12:47pm On Sep 25, 2007
GL:

i think we have fewer suicides than many other countries. for one thing, we are mostly religious people and tend to think of it as a sin that would land us in hell. while some white people would even go and collect credit cards and spend more than they can pay and kill themselves. i think another thing is that we have stronger family ties,

I think you have a non-realistic view of your own people when you say we are a mostly religious people land the sort and the whole we have stronger family ties thing I do not believe at all. for one, we have just as many disfunctional families as you would find in other places. Do you know that yoruba proverb that says something like " KOKORO TO N JE EFO, ARA EFO LO WA" , Yeah, we have plenty disfunctionals, not saying all are, but the fact that we do not conduct proper autopsies and detective work in Nigeria make for the case that a lot of suicides are gone unnoticed or covered up. I mean we have so many cases of people going to bed and not waking up the next day. We mostly claim the WITCHES got them but how many of those cases are actually suicides?? I mean I can go on and on giving you examples. Credit card debt is not a major reason for suicide, heck, if that was the case, the numbers should be way on the rise now that it is known that majority of persons are deep in debt and most of them are in foreclosure as we speak. So much so that the economy is seriously affected in the USA.

Another reason why we sort of believe that Nigerians do not commit suicide as much would be cause it is considered a disgrace in most cultures down there and people would rather hide what they know, than bring shame to their families. So next time you are among Nigerian friends and family, think of how many of them are carrying knowledge of a loved one who commited suicide and can never talk about it. grin. We are not really better than the rest of the world ,

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2007
Reason?

We love to live LIFE in Africa, No one prays to die! Unlike with the white! who careless, but live courageously when given a death warrant by the doctor (hey! you've got 3months to live!). The news of death doesn't freak them because, they live comfortably tongue hence, they see no reason why they shouldn't embrace death when it comes naturally!!! undecided

In contrast, A fellow Nigerian won't pray to die and the fact remains that we always believe in Better tomorrow, and do not hope to die unfulfilled. An average African/Nigerian believes that "e go better" until death do us path. So, I think, Poverty is a point to be considered as well! wink
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Sep 25, 2007
OlowoTee:

Reason?

We love to live LIFE in Africa, No one prays to die! Unlike with the white! who careless, but live courageously when given a death warrant by the doctor (hey! you've got 3months to live!). The news of death doesn't freak them because, they live comfortably tongue hence, they see no reason why they shouldn't embrace death when it comes naturally!!! undecided

In contrast, A fellow Nigerian won't pray to die and the fact remains that we always believe in Better tomorrow, and do not hope to die unfulfilled. An average African/Nigerian believes that "e go better" until death do us path. So, I think, Poverty is a point to be considered as well! wink

Where in the world did you get the whole about white people only living when told they are about to die? How many Africans/Nigerians have you ACTUALLY met shocked Just cause you hear people saying "E GO BETTER" does not mean they necessarily believe it. I mean there are many people who say God bless you but deep within they have no clue what it means nor do they believe it . Heck, I would think that qualifies as one of those cliches of our time. I mean if you want to play optimist to the end, I am all for that but your tale about whites does not compute and the one about africans loving to live in africa?? I lAUGHsmiley) Africans migrate in the millions each year from africa, are you sure you have that right ??

KoboJunkie cheesy
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 26, 2007
Kobojunkie ]
Where in the world did you get the whole about white people only living when told they are about to die? How many Africans/Nigerians have you ACTUALLY met shocked Just cause you hear people saying "E GO BETTER" does not mean they necessarily believe it. I mean there are many people who say God bless you but deep within they have no clue what it means nor do they believe it . Heck, I would think that qualifies as one of those cliches of our time. I mean if you want to play optimist to the end, I am all for that but your tale about whites does not compute and the one about africans loving to live in africa?? I lAUGHsmiley) Africans migrate in the millions each year from africa, are you sure you have that right ?? KoboJunkie cheesy
[/quote]

Did you actually take time to understand my post.

Well, the summary of it all is that an average Nigerian wouldn't want to take his/her life because he/she believes in a better tomorrow! Have you taken time to listen to the prayer of a typical Nigerian fellow: Always craving for a better life, Prayers of prosperity are made without season.

Morealso, our approach to death/death news differs from that of the white. I've heard testimonies and read some books whereby the persons involved (non-Africans) were given death sentences either by virtual of their terminal illness blah bla blah or whatever! They took it with Joy and lived courageoulsy! They weren't too sad or feel bad about it, but called in their family members and had some good time with them.

NOW, lets bring same scenario to Africa! Why do you think most HIV/AIDS patients die not so long after being told of the HIV status? Why would we migrate outside the shore so often, for a better tomorrow tongue! Why would Most Pastors now emphasis on PROSPERITY/Breakthrough sermons, pretty guess: for a better tommorrow . No matter how bad the situation we find ourselves most of us are still OPTIMISTIC and do not wish to take our lives.

[quote author=Kobojunkie:

Africans migrate in the millions each year from africa, are you sure you have that right ?? KoboJunkie cheesy

I do not imply that Africans love to live in Africa, I just pointed to the fact that we love to LIVE life. . . . enjoy life  tongue etc and have enough owambes as possible  grin

well, it's my side, my view, my opinion wink  you're got your views as well!
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by londoner: 11:51am On Sep 26, 2007
I think for many Nigerians and African suicide is not considered an option. In the west it is considered an option by some. Did you know that there are web sites and blogs to help people commit suicide? How to do it in the least painful way or the quickest way. There are actually people who are thinking about it, being advised by others on the best way to go through with it!!!!!!!

That is not to say that Nigerians don't commit suicide, I know of one man who killed himself in his family home. The reaction to it was one of disapproval and I think that is cultural. In another culture maybe, it would have evoked pity rather than disappointment at the propect of someone taking their own life. Suicide is less socially acceptable in Nigeria IMO, that doesn't mean people don't to it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by lilian777(f): 3:05pm On Sep 26, 2007
As a typical Nigerian,how many times have you ever thought of suicide as an option to end frustration?Or, is anybody going to deny never to have been frustrated at some point in life? what you answer yourself gives you an answer to this question.My own opinion- Nigerians rarely commit suicide, Period!
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by lilian777(f): 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2007
Again, a guy committing suicide just because of an extra year is questionable.There's more to it that meets the eye.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2007
londoner:

I think for many Nigerians and African suicide is not considered an option. In the west it is concidered an option by some. Did you know that there are web sites and blogs to help people commit suicide? How to do it in the least painful way or the quickest way. There are actually people who are thinking about it, being advised by others on the best way to go through with it!!!!!!!

That is not to say that Nigerians don't commit suicide, I know of one man who killed himself in his family home. The reaction to it was one of disapproval and I think that is cultural. In another culture maybe, it would have evoked pity rather than disappointment at the propect of someone taking their own life. Suicide is less socially acceptable in Nigeria IMO, that doesn't mean people don't to it.

I agree with you there about the cultural stigma attached to such and  I still believe regardless people do it and families hide it still to save face.

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 26, 2007
lilian777:

Again, a guy committing suicide just because of an extra year is questionable.There's more to it that meets the eye.

He was in his 7th year for a course of 4-year?? Just because of ONE course[i](subject)[/i] i guess shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Sep 26, 2007
OlowoTee:

Did you actually take time to understand my post.

Well, the summary of it all is that an average Nigerian wouldn't want to take his/her life because he/she believes in a better tomorrow! Have you taken time to listen to the prayer of a typical Nigerian fellow: Always craving for a better life, Prayers of prosperity are made without season.

Morealso, our approach to death/death news differs from that of the white. I've heard testimonies and read some books whereby the persons involved (non-Africans) were given death sentences either by virtual of their terminal illness blah bla blah or whatever! They took it with Joy and lived courageoulsy! They weren't too sad or feel bad about it, but called in their family members and had some good time with them.

NOW, lets bring same scenario to Africa! Why do you think most HIV/AIDS patients die not so long after being told of the HIV status? Why would we migrate outside the shore so often, for a better tomorrow tongue! Why would Most Pastors now emphasis on PROSPERITY/Breakthrough sermons, pretty guess: for a better tommorrow . No matter how bad the situation we find ourselves most of us are still OPTIMISTIC and do not wish to take our lives.

I do not imply that Africans love to live in Africa, I just pointed to the fact that we love to LIVE life. . . . enjoy life tongue etc and have enough owambes as possible grin

well, it's my side, my view, my opinion wink you're got your views as well!

@Olowotee, you are still saying exactly what you said earlier, trying to compare you model of "average" africans with "white" people, Yes, I have taken time to listen to the prayers of average africans and prayers of average white people and I see no difference. Just cause a person chooses , on hearing his time is almost up, to enjoy what is left of it does not mean that is the story for the majority, or better still that is necessarily a reason or related in anywhere to suicides. I remember a couple of years ago when there was a scare in lagos of some lady who found out she had aids and then decided to go out and have a good time and infect as many people as she can before she goes. There are cases of nigerians who have come back home to enjoy whatever money they have made before the cancer, they were told they had, would take them away.

I do not have the same approach as you claim most of those you know have to death. I am a full blooded african and I believe death is not necessarily a bad thing but I am not suicidal and I wake up each day hoping to make the best out of it as long as I am alive. I have friends who are nigerians who share the same ideology. I mean I see no reason to fear what I know is inevitable. That is just it, a fear of death is one thing and maybe that could support your reason for the claim that Nigerian suicide rate being low, but I believe even those who commit suicides in the end do not necessarily overcome that fear, it they have it but somehow believe when they get to the other side it will not matter.

What you described is not really the Average white person and certainly not the average nigerian I have met. What is on tv or the media is not necessarily a picture of the majority. The Problem with the way we deal with the issue is we go off of what we think the situation really is and not necessarily what it is on the ground. I have had Nigerian friends who I grew up with tell me things like they would not live past the age or 45 or some other age, cause of one reason or another, mostly stemming from depression. I have heard of cases of friends being alive one minute and dead the next, no definite information on what happened except the usual WITCHES did it story. I grew up in Nigeria depressed and was constantly told my problem was pride and lived in shame instead of actually dealing with the issue. Thanks to God, I am completely healed now. Now another situation was when I was in university in Nigeria, we would hear of people dying each day and most all cases were ruled as murder's or witchcraft but the idea of suicide was considered completely absurd and in many of those cases, the parents were informed there kid had been killed but to this date, not a single person has been sentenced for the crime.

As regards sermons about prosperity and living life to the fullest, it is not limited to Nigeria, it is a world wide movement actually. I mean for the fact that there is nothing against living life to the fullest and better yet, Jesus said that is what he came to give people, that there makes it ok and it is allowed and alive in most all nations. I mean you just tune in over here and see.

Basically, my stance is that since we do not have accurate numbers of means of obtaining them right now in Nigeria on this issue, I think it will be immature to claim the numbers are definitely low cause of this and that, but I am for us pushing for the us to get a better way of actually finding out what is really going on and help the people who may be affected.

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 26, 2007
Quite lenghty man!!! shocked. I couldn't read through, good to go home Be right back tomorrow, but I'd print it out to read. . . . .expect ma reply tomorrow. grin

But I still stand on my own views lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

All the best!
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by iyaaje(m): 6:53pm On Sep 26, 2007
says who?we do jo,but just some frustrated ones and those wanted to run away from the hands of the law,but sa naija people like lenjoyment 2 much.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by analyt82(f): 9:14pm On Sep 26, 2007
I agree with you KoBojunkie, regardless of ethnic background, do you know how much higher the suicide rates would be if the "families" didn't cover them up ? One of my majors was history so I do a lot of friggin research (I hate it), the results are payment enough.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by atutupoyo(f): 10:32pm On Sep 26, 2007
@the topic Nigerans don't really commit suicide because of our culture, our belives, Nigerians are religious, we belive in God, Judgment and life after death. We belive in a better tomorrow and we love life.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 27, 2007
@kobojunkie

Thanks for the lenghty write-up, I enjoyed reading through! You actually got some points, but . . . . Do you think we need any statistical analysis to know that the rate of suicidal action is lower in Nigeria due to our cultural beliefs, fear of death, "ego better syndrome" etc. . . . .

My stance is just one out of the many reasons why Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide! tongue

Thanks for sharing your views grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by angel101(f): 4:14pm On Sep 30, 2007
Nigeriand rarely commit suicide because we are naturally enjoyment loving people and extremely resilient.
Talking about stats, since we don't have any official ones lets try personal info.
I personally do not know a single nigerian who has commited suicide but i at least know a handful of english people who have.
Seun has mentioned 1 nigerian student who took his own life. how many others? how many are possible being covered up? how many people die in their sleep?

I am of the opinion that nigerians rarely commit suicide. its just not our style.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by mellow(m): 4:19pm On Sep 30, 2007
It is happening but may not have happened in your neighbourhood.[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Dbisi(f): 5:56pm On Oct 05, 2007
Definitely not as much as the oyinbos they can not endure like us and they can take their own lives for something a Nigerian will endure for life. You cant compare it the percentage.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by Zandra1(f): 6:52am On Oct 06, 2007
@ poster, Nigerians commit suicide but not at the rate westerners do.

Nigerians love life just like westerners that love life too thus their many technological and scientific inventions to prolong their lives, make it easier and more enjoyable. No offense meant to anyone but saying that Nigerians are very religious people is indeed funny and questionable. More like a country with lots of hypocrisy.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by lindabong(f): 9:23am On Aug 07, 2008
To me, it the dont really matter what ethnic group, nationality, or country you're from.
We all got some sort of emotional problem and we all do get depressed to a certain degree or extent.
It all depends on how well the individual handles stress or certain situations that may stress a person out.
Re: Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? by DeepZone: 3:24pm On Aug 07, 2008
Generally, suicide is not a black thing. It's not only Nigerians but black africans, African Americans, carribeans for some reason do not like suicide. If the virginia tech massacre point man was black, I bet you he'll still be here today facing multiple murder charges than take an easy way out. I remember a Nigerian law student that did the same(he shot 3 only) here in the US some 5 years ago in one of the east coast states, he stayed alive and never popped his brain. For where? Thats why oyibo no fit understand black man mentality well.

So, suicide is more of a Caucasian and Asian culture.

(1) (Reply)

Omo Yoruba Nimi Tokatokan / 6 Things The World Owes To Nigeria / Are Dogs Used For Sacrifice In Southwest Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.