Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound (579 Views)

How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm / Bird I Caught This Morning In My Compound In Abia / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Jewman4you: 10:15am On Jan 27, 2023
Greetings Agriclanders
I'm planning to start a poultry farm in my compound. The size of the poultry will be 35ft by 17 ft on both sides. That is averagely 55 square metres in my compound. The size of the land is 50f by 100ft. I was able to build one storey building when things where good in the compound. I have neighbours on both sides of my compound, though the place is still a developing area in portharcourt. The building only occupied one third of the compound, so i still have enough space the occupy poultry house. Now the challenge is, is it possible to do poultry in the compound without having issues with poultry smell that will disturb me and my neighbours. And what is the best way of going about it. I plan to do an average of 150 to 200 birds at a time and sell of every six week. Please I need advice. Thanks
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by skedman(m): 10:27am On Jan 27, 2023
If you are not financially buoyant don’t invest in poultry rather go for ram , goat and cow they will fetch you good money

Chicken will continue to feed ,the more you feed them the bigger their eggs and their feed is now expensive

Marketers will always price your product down ,you either make no profit or little but cow ,goat and cow feed on grasses and they are economical
Presently asun goat now cost 15,000
Ram 70,000
Cow 500,000
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Jewman4you: 10:40am On Jan 27, 2023
skedman:
If you are not financially buoyant don’t invest in poultry rather go for ram , goat and cow they will fetch you good money

Chicken will continue to feed ,the more you feed them the bigger their eggs and their feed is now expensive

Marketers will always price your product down ,you either make no profit or little but cow ,goat and cow feed on grasses and they are economical
Ram 70,000
Cow 500,000
Ok
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Firefyta: 11:07am On Jan 27, 2023
Lightxp
Text me on WhatsApp at zero eight zero 66779304
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Hatesin: 12:36pm On Jan 27, 2023
skedman:

Ram 70,000
Cow 500,000

Good point!
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Sukkyy2010: 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2023
skedman:

Ram 70,000
Cow 500,000
I have spacious place for goat farming but I don't have pre knowledge of this typical farming, I just don't know the starting point to kick start.
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by frozen70(f): 11:57pm On Jan 27, 2023
Jewman4you:
Greetings Agriclanders
I'm planning to start a poultry farm in my compound. The size of the poultry will be 35ft by 17 ft on both sides. That is averagely 55 square metres in my compound. The size of the land is 50f by 100ft. I was able to build one storey building when things where good in the compound. I have neighbours on both sides of my compound, though the place is still a developing area in portharcourt. The building only occupied one third of the compound, so i still have enough space the occupy poultry house. Now the challenge is, is it possible to do poultry in the compound without having issues with poultry smell that will disturb me and my neighbours. And what is the best way of going about it. I plan to do an average of 150 to 200 birds at a time and sell of every six week. Please I need advice. Thanks

Its going to be a good venture

But the problem of foul poo smell will occur if you have Broilers

The poo round the clock and it use to be wet

Do more of turkey, I love rearing them in my compound, they have good chances of survival and eat normal

Then you are can add Noilers but they eat well too

The worst is Broilers, they eat steady and poo steady but you will like the progress of their growth but be ready to be sweeping their poo every morning
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by CyberHustle: 9:05am On Jan 28, 2023
Poultry and that kind of housing arrangement do not combine well. From theft, poisoning, attacks to quarrel, the output isn't always the best.

This link talks about yam in sack farming.
https://www.nairaland.com/7471140/amazing-output-yam-in-sack-farming-pictures
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by Jewman4you: 9:37am On Jan 28, 2023
Ok, if it's turkey, how many turkey do you think I can do at a time?
frozen70:

Its going to be a good venture

But the problem of foul poo smell will occur if you have Broilers

The poo round the clock and it use to be wet

Do more of turkey, I love rearing them in my compound, they have good chances of survival and eat normal

Then you are can add Noilers but they eat well too

The worst is Broilers, they eat steady and poo steady but you will like the progress of their growth but be ready to be sweeping their poo every morning
Re: Should I Start Poultry Farm In My Compound by frozen70(f): 9:42am On Jan 28, 2023
Jewman4you:
Ok, if it's turkey, how many turkey do you think I can do at a time?

Is your choice to determine if it's for commercial or private

Mine is for private use especially for Christmas

In your own case, people buy turkeys for festivals

You can still add chicken

But I will still suggest you try all of them and decide on what to settle for base on your experience in all

(1) (Reply)

Factors That Influence Yield Of Corn Flour Milling Machine / Anambra Plans Town-hall Meeting On Agriculture / Palm Kernel Nut Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.