Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,574 members, 7,816,414 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

In An Unprecedented Move, UNIBEN Disqualifies Students From Contesting SUG Poll - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / In An Unprecedented Move, UNIBEN Disqualifies Students From Contesting SUG Poll (276 Views)

U.I Student Who Channeled Sango While Contesting For Mr U.I, Gets Burnt / How Do I Stop My Female Students From Lusting After Me? / OAU SUG Vice President Crying After Fight Involving Union Members (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In An Unprecedented Move, UNIBEN Disqualifies Students From Contesting SUG Poll by 9jaBlogger: 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2023

Management of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) on Friday announced the disqualification of some students aspiring for various elective offices in the forthcoming Students’ Union election.

CAMPUS GIST reports that the election to usher in a new Students’ Union leadership is expected to take place soon. Already, sales of forms is ongoing with the Electoral Commission already inaugurated.

A statement announcing their disqualification, made available to this online media, was endorsed by the University’s Dean of Students who doubles as Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Professor Clement Ighodaro.

He said the three affected students were disqualified from contesting the elections for contravening the Institution’s rule.

According to the Dean, the students have defied persistent warnings on the defacing of surfaces in the University’s campuses with campaign posters and graffiti.

Those affected are: Ehis Irabor (vying for Financial Secretary, Students’ Union), Atori Samuel (vying for Director of Sports, Students’ Union) and Aphori Efe (vying for President, National Association of Delta State Students Union).

‘Students react’

Meanwhile, the decision by Management of the University of Benin to disqualify some students from contesting the forthcoming students’ union election has been met with mixed reactions.

While some students queried where the Dean derived such powers, others wondered whether it was an unanimous decision among members of the Electoral Commission or if the Electoral guidelines were followed.

“Were they even given the opportunity to defend themselves? What if the defacement were handiwork of their opponents? Besides, how can you say you have disqualified someone who is not even an aspirant yet?, someone who is yet to obtain form or submit same”, a male student (name withheld) who spoke with this Reporter queried.

But, a handful of students have subtly backed the move by Management, arguing that ‘lawlessness’ should not be encouraged as it was not proper for a student to deface the campus all in the name of campaign.

Efforts to obtain comments from the Dean of Students proved abortive. As at the time of filing this report, his known phone line was not reachable. Also, the affected students were yet to comment on the matter.

Similarly, the recently inaugurated Students’ Electoral Commission, co-headed by a student as Secretary, was yet to formally react to the development.

Details later…

https://www.campusgist.com.ng/2023/01/27/in-an-unprecedented-move-uniben-disqualifies-students-from-contesting-union-election/

Lala Seun Mynd44

Re: In An Unprecedented Move, UNIBEN Disqualifies Students From Contesting SUG Poll by AllTheWayUp: 6:37pm On Jan 27, 2023
Whiich unprecedented move?
UNIBEN Management has always been disqualifying severla students from contesting SUG elections for more than 30 years now.
No be same UNIBEN wey way we attend over 10 years ago.

(1) (Reply)

2023 Future Academy Tech Scholarship And Boot Camp For Young Africans Applicatio / Preparing Your Teen For Driver's Ed / What Can U Teach Me For Free.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.