Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,956 members, 7,848,884 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:32 AM

Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels (317 Views)

Abba Kabir Cautions Ganduje On Using Public Funds to Influence Re-run Election / Kaduna State Held LG Polls In 2018 And In 2021 Using Electronic Voting Machines / Bandits Ambush Army Convoy In Benue, Cart Away N28 Million Cash And Weapons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 10:45am On Feb 04, 2023
I mean if you already have your cash safely in your bank account, why go fight at an ATM or a banking hall? Our people should prioritise use of bank transfers and POS

It's all better for the country if a near cashless policy is adopted

It saves costs. It is expensive to print cash and expensive to process cash for people who receive large volumes of cash

Cash breeds corruption as well because acts of corruption can easily be settled without trail in cash.

Carrying cash too is dangerous as one could become target for robbers. No armed robbers will go anyone's house if the know there is no cash there. Kidnapping too will stop if kidnappers know there is simply not going to be any cash to give to them.

Instead of just complaining, let's use this opportunity to further develop our electronic payments system, which is already best in the world

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by omonnakoda: 10:47am On Feb 04, 2023
You are a fool

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by Goodmarlian: 10:48am On Feb 04, 2023
You may be right but how will you pay a pure water or soft drink hawker in the market? Will you transfer to buy 100 naira pepper from an iyalata?
Black people are slow now i know.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by christistruth01: 10:49am On Feb 04, 2023
No!!

Cash has it's advantages

You can use Cash everywhere wether Electricity is available or not

Cashless cannot work without Electricity

Many Nigerians have no Electricity

and almost all Nigerians have unreliable Electricity

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 11:05am On Feb 04, 2023
Goodmarlian:
You may be right but how will you pay a pure water or soft drink hawker in the market? Will you transfer to buy 100 naira pepper from an iyalata?
Black people are slow now i know.

Focus should shift to enlightening and educating those who not yet know how these channels work
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 11:06am On Feb 04, 2023
christistruth01:
No!!

Cash has it's advantages

You can use Cash everywhere wether Electricity is available or not

Cashless cannot work without Electricity

Many Nigerians have no Electricity

and almost all Nigerians have unreliable Electricity

Most banks these days have USSD which doesn't even require Internet
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by christistruth01: 11:08am On Feb 04, 2023
kingsways:

Most banks these days have USSD which doesn't even require Internet

too many Nigerians do not have reliable Electricity

Cash is the only option for them
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 11:31am On Feb 04, 2023
christistruth01:

too many Nigerians do not have reliable Electricity

Cash is the only option for them

You can't eat your cake and have it. You can't be wanting to end corruption, kidnapping and armed robbery and insist on having access to large volumes of cash at the same time
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by christistruth01: 11:40am On Feb 04, 2023
kingsways:

You can't eat your cake and have it. You can't be wanting to end corruption, kidnapping and armed robbery and insist on having access to large volumes of cash at the same time

Electronic Transactions are not for everyone

Besides there are fraudsters that defraud using Electronic Transfers

That was what Hushpuppi and invictus were imprisoned for

Also Cash gives you the freedom to use your own money when and how you want

without requesting any banks permission to do so
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 11:52am On Feb 04, 2023
christistruth01:

Electronic Transactions are not for everyone

Besides there are fraudsters that defraud using Electronic Transfers

That was what Hushpuppi and invictus were imprisoned for

Anyone can use alternative channels, they only Need to understand how it works and how to avoid falling prey to fraudsters
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by backnbeta(f): 12:03pm On Feb 04, 2023
kingsways:
I mean if you already have your cash safely in your bank account, why go fight at an ATM or a banking hall? Our people should prioritise use of bank transfers and POS

It's all better for the country if a near cashless policy is adopted

It saves costs. It is expensive to print cash and expensive to process cash for people who receive large volumes of cash

Cash breeds corruption as well because acts of corruption can easily be settled without trail in cash.

Carrying cash too is dangerous as one could become target for robbers. No armed robbers will go anyone's house if the know there is no cash there. Kidnapping too will stop if kidnappers know there is simply not going to be any cash to give to them.

Instead of just complaining, let's use this opportunity to further develop our electronic payments system, which is already best in the world
Some of you just have shallow thought process! I've been trying to login to my bank app since yesterday without luck, it only allowed me to login today! A government that wants to encourage cashless transactions should look into other factors like electricity, networks, cyber security and personnel first. I spend cash abroad, in developed countries, why would an underdeveloped country like Nigeria suddenly mop up cash and force cashless policy on us overnight, in the name of fighting kwarruption?
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by christistruth01: 1:17pm On Feb 04, 2023
kingsways:

Anyone can use alternative channels, they only Need to understand how it works and how to avoid falling prey to fraudsters

Cash has very many advantages

and greedy Bankers cannot obstruct you from using your money as happens often
in Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kokoA(m): 1:23pm On Feb 04, 2023
Do we have the network infrastructure to handle 100 million different transactions at thesame time?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by christistruth01: 1:27pm On Feb 04, 2023
kingsways:

You can do the same with Cash
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by Hopium: 1:54pm On Feb 04, 2023
backnbeta:

Some of you just have shallow thought process! I've been trying to login to my bank app since yesterday without luck, it only allowed me to login today! A government that wants to encourage cashless transactions should look into other factors like electricity, networks, cyber security and personnel first. I spend cash abroad, in developed countries, why would an underdeveloped country like Nigeria suddenly mop up cash and force cashless policy on us overnight, in the name of fighting kwarruption?

God bless you.

No one is saying cashless is bad. In fact, it's inevitable globally by next decade. The problem is that Nigeria doesn't have the infrastructure to support cashless policy. if you talk, those shallow thinkers will cite Kenya as example. They forgot that despite Nigeria having a far larger economy, Kenya has a far better communication network. The country hasn't fully launch into cashless and the banking network could barely support demand.

The cashless policy has been in works for more than 10 years. We did nothing to perfect implementation but Emefiele thinks the country is ready on a 3-month notice.

I wanted to make payment of #100k yesterday. I got the embarrassment of my life. My banking app didn't work. USSD service didn't function. I was at a spot for more than 20 minutes trying to settle my seller. I had to drop the good and went my way. I didn't get what I want when I have the money. My seller lost sale. The FG lost vat revenue on the sale; same as my bank and telco. Now imagine this kind of shit happening simultaneously in thousands of locations all over the country.

It's only miscreants that are ranting that the policy is to fight corruption. If they are being honest, they will tell how the masses, the people in real life where they live, work, do business, are suffering. Cab drivers could hardly make sales because of scarcity of notes. Business owners have no note to use as change. People can't get note to buy their basic needs. It's a mess out here; let's forget social media.

Imagine I have to make 10 transactions in a day and the banking network is shit. That's hell on earth.
Re: Nigerians Should De-emphasis Cash And Focus On Using Electronic Channels by kingsways: 8:10pm On Feb 04, 2023
backnbeta:

These are challenges that can easily be overcome. The apps mostly work fine, try now

(1) (Reply)

Why is nobody talking about Atiku wnd Vote Buying? / A Simple Experiment Why Cashless Policy Will Not Work! / BREAKING: Stears Poll Predicts Next President Is Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.