Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) (1939 Views)

U.S. Invests N8.6 Billion To Boost Small-scale Farming In Nigeria / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by OomaJ19(m): 10:34pm On Feb 04, 2023
Poultry farming in Nigeria is a thriving industry, and it’s not surprising considering the country’s high demand for poultry products.

Over the years, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria has become increasingly popular, especially among rural farmers and aspiring entrepreneurs.

It is a section of Farming in Nigeria that any aspiring Agric entrepreneur should be eyeing.

This type of agriculture provides numerous benefits including a relatively low startup cost, flexible production options, and the potential for significant returns.

In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria, from setting up a poultry farm to the challenges and opportunities in the industry.

Whether you’re a seasoned farmer or just starting out, this guide will provide valuable insights into Nigeria’s small-scale poultry farming world.

What is small-scale poultry farming?

According to Investopedia. Poultry farming is a form of animal husbandry that raises domesticated birds such as chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese to produce meat or eggs for food.

Poultry – mostly chickens – are farmed in great numbers.

Also, more than 60 billion chickens are killed for consumption annually. Chickens raised for eggs are known as layers, while chickens raised for meat are called broilers.

The current state of small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

Small-scale poultry farming is widespread in Nigeria and is an important source of income for many rural families.

According to recent estimates, there are over 50 million chickens in Nigeria, with most of them being raised on small-scale farms.

The industry provides employment for thousands of Nigerians and contributes to the country’s food security by providing a source of affordable protein for millions of people.

However, to realize its full potential, the industry must overcome the challenges it faces, including limited access to funding and disease outbreaks.

By addressing these challenges and supporting the growth of small-scale poultry farming, Nigeria can not only improve the lives of small-scale farmers but also contribute to the country’s food security and economic growth.

Next, we can move on to discussing the opportunities for growth in small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria:

Opportunities for growth in small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

Despite the challenges faced by small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria, there are also many opportunities for growth and expansion in the industry.

For example, there is a growing demand for high-quality, locally produced poultry products, both within Nigeria and in other countries.

This presents an opportunity for small-scale farmers to increase their sales and improve their profitability by producing and selling high-quality, premium products.

Another opportunity for growth in small-scale poultry farming is the development of new technologies and innovations in the industry.

For example, the use of precision agriculture techniques, such as drone technology and data analytics, can help farmers to optimize their operations and increase their yields.

Additionally, the development of new vaccines and veterinary treatments can help to control and prevent disease outbreaks, improving the health of poultry flocks and reducing losses for farmers.

Finally, there is also a growing recognition of the importance of sustainable and organic farming practices. Many consumers are now willing to pay a premium for locally produced, sustainably raised poultry products.

This presents an opportunity for small-scale farmers to differentiate themselves from larger, industrial operations and to appeal to consumers who are looking for high-quality, sustainably produced food.

In conclusion, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria presents many opportunities for growth and expansion.

By taking advantage of new technologies and innovations, increasing their focus on quality and sustainability, and tapping into growing demand for locally produced food, small-scale poultry farmers can overcome the challenges they face and build a more profitable and sustainable industry.

Next, we can explore the challenges faced by small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria and possible solutions to overcome them:

Challenges and solutions for small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

As mentioned earlier, small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria face several challenges that limit their potential for growth and profitability.

These challenges include limited access to funding, disease outbreaks, and a lack of resources and support.

However, there are also several solutions that can help farmers to overcome these challenges and improve their operations.

One solution to the challenge of limited access to funding is the development of innovative financing models that can help farmers to secure the capital they need to start or expand their operations.

For example, microfinance institutions, agricultural cooperatives, and community-based organizations can provide farmers with the loans and support they need to purchase equipment, build infrastructure, and purchase inputs.

Another solution to the challenge of disease outbreaks is the development of effective disease control and prevention programs.

This can involve providing farmers with access to veterinary services, vaccines, and other preventative measures, as well as educating farmers about best practices for disease control.

In addition, the development of disease-resistant poultry breeds and the use of precision agriculture techniques can also help to reduce the impact of disease outbreaks.

Finally, the development of supportive policies and programs can help small-scale poultry farmers to overcome the challenges they face and build a more profitable and sustainable industry.

For example, the government can provide technical assistance and training to farmers, support the development of new technologies and innovations, and encourage the growth of local markets for poultry products.

In conclusion, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria faces several challenges, but there are also many solutions that can help farmers to overcome these challenges and improve their operations.

By providing access to funding, improving disease control and prevention, and supporting the growth of the industry, Nigeria can build a more sustainable and profitable small-scale poultry farming sector.

Types of Birds available to make money are

Chicken (Broilers and layers)
Ducks (Egg, Meat)
Geese (Egg, Meat, and feathers)
Pigeon (Meat)
Quail (Egg, Meat)
Turkey (Meat)

For the purpose of this article, we will be concentrating on Chicken Farming.

Profitability of Poultry Farming in Nigeria

1. Chickens Reproduce Quickly
Almost every day or at least four times per week, a healthy layer lays an egg. Some breeds can lay up to 325 eggs each year, which hatch in 21 days.

This implies that a Layer theoretically has the capacity to produce two more chickens in a period of three days.

Thus, 500 healthy layers of good breeds (such as California whites) can produce 12,000 chicks in under 40 days if they are in good health.

2. Chickens Grow Quickly
The egg hatches in 21 days, and after 28 weeks, the product is ready for sale. That indicates that after successfully establishing the farm, a farmer may begin to make money in just 34 weeks, and according to this figure, any returns he makes might treble in a year.

3. Chicken Sells at an Excellent Price
In Nigeria, a fully grown, healthy chicken costs between ₦3,000 and ₦10,000 and above. Consequently, if you raise 12,000 chickens on your farm, you will earn more than ₦40 million when all of them have been sold.

4. The egg market is Large
In addition to chicken, eggs are a separate source of income. For little eggs, a crate costs between N1500 and N2000, while larger eggs cost between N2000 and N3000 and above.

Furthermore, each box has 30 eggs inside. You will therefore earn above ₦1,000,000 per month if you have 500 layers that produce 12,000 pullets every month and opt to sell them all.

As you can see, Nigerian poultry farming offers mouthwatering profits and amazing returns on investment. The main issue right now is how to launch this firm.

How to Start a Small-Scale Poultry Farm in Nigeria

Things you need to start a poultry farming business in Nigeria
To start poultry farming in Nigeria, you will need the following:

Capital
This will be used to purchase the land, construct a poultry house, purchase birds, and cover other start-up costs.

Land
The size of the land required depends on the scale of the poultry farm. It should accommodate the poultry house, feeding and drinking areas, and manure pit.

Poultry House
The poultry house must be designed to protect the birds from weather elements and predators. It should be spacious enough to provide enough space for the birds to move around in other not to hinder their growth.

Birds
You will need to purchase day-old chicks or point-of-lay birds. Choose a breed that is suitable for your area, and that has a good reputation for egg production and growth rate.

Feeding and Watering System
You will need a feeding and watering system for the birds, including feeders and drinkers.

Incubator
You will need an incubator for hatching eggs, especially if you are starting a layer farm.

Electricity, Equipment, and Supplies
You will need electricity and purchase other equipment, such as heating lamps, nests, and lighting fixtures, as well as supplies like feed, bedding material, and disinfectants.

Marketing Plan
You will need a marketing plan to sell your eggs and birds, which could include direct sales, distribution to supermarkets or food markets, or online sales.

Knowledge and Skill
You will need to have knowledge of poultry farming, including bird nutrition, health management, marketing, and cost. Consider taking courses or workshops to build your knowledge and skills.

Labour
You will need to hire labor for feeding, cleaning, and general management of the poultry farm.

Support from Government
It is important to obtain support from the Government, as they can provide you with information and resources to help you start and run your poultry farm.

Read the full article at https://www.moshinfohub.com/small-scale-poultry-farming-in-nigeria-to-make-millions-2023/

Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by larrypourl(m): 7:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
Good analysis but practically you can't make 1m monthly from 500 layers. Even without removing their feeding cost, it's still not practicable now consider the feeding which gulps about 60-70% of running cost and see what's left.
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by rainmoredays: 10:30pm On Feb 12, 2023
Nah them them
Farmers on paper

2 Likes

Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by JohnSamuel35: 11:24pm On Feb 12, 2023
You can make 1M every month with 500 layers just that it won't be the total profit at the end of each day after deducting expenses

1 Like

Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by OomaJ19(m): 10:53pm On Feb 18, 2023
larrypourl:
Good analysis but practically you can't make 1m monthly from 500 layers. Even without removing their feeding cost, it's still not practicable now consider the feeding which gulps about 60-70% of running cost and see what's left.
The analysis is there and it is just for educational purposes to make decisions. However, the most important thing is the article can be a better guide.
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by OomaJ19(m): 10:56pm On Feb 18, 2023
rainmoredays:
Nah them them
Farmers on paper
That hit hard though. The article is for educational purposes and as a guide. A writer must not necessarily be a farmer...
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by OomaJ19(m): 10:57pm On Feb 18, 2023
JohnSamuel35:
You can make 1M every month with 500 layers just that it won't be the total profit at the end of each day after deducting expenses
Thanks for stopping by man...
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by larrypourl(m): 11:47pm On Feb 18, 2023
OomaJ19:
The analysis is there and it is just for educational purposes to make decisions. However, the most important thing is the article can be a better guide.

The article is there and beautifully writter, Yes, but analysis is totally misleading due to the wrong facts stated. A writer should put out fact. That analysis can put intending farmers into debts and regrets.
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by larrypourl(m): 11:48pm On Feb 18, 2023
JohnSamuel35:

Drop your analysis. 1m monthly without removing cost of feeds, medications and other running cost isn't even possible.
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by JohnSamuel35: 10:03am On Feb 19, 2023
larrypourl:

Drop your analysis. 1m monthly without removing cost of feeds, medications and other running cost isn't even possible.

Read the article by the Op and my comment again more patiently

1 Like

Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by UmarSEO: 10:21am On Apr 12, 2023
larrypourl:

The Guy an confirm LOwkey Scammer. Na him be @wodu89 @GardenGreen and @OutofEden @JohnSamuel35. It shall never be well with him sha for scamming me of My hard earned money.

1 Like

Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by Wodu89: 10:23am On Apr 12, 2023
UmarSEO:

The Guy an confirm LOwkey Scammer. Na him be @wodu89 @GardenGreen and @OutofEden @JohnSamuel35. It shall never be well with him sha for scamming me of My hard earned money.

Because Fredfrankhussle received my PayPal funds and refused to pay for my funds, I was unable to pay my team. I lost the trust of people that took me time to gather together.

The situation escalated. The company kept saying they sent an amount and sent screenshot, Fredfrankhussle kept mute the first one week of getting my funds and did not notify me until after I told him a week later. Because of the back and forths, the company sacked me. I lost my job that gave me 100,000 - 150,000 Naira per week

My writing business collapsed.

My poultry of 400 - 500 chickens collapsed

My other businesses that were tied to my cash inflow all collapsed. As a result I am unable to pay my team and workers and shit my businesses

This is what I got from doing business with Fredfrankhussle.

UmarSEO is one of the many workers who worked with me on these projects. He was fully aware of the PayPal funds withdrawal issues, While it takes time to rebuild anything destroyed, because of the actions of Fredfrankhussle, UmarSEO is chasing me all over the forum addressing me as a scammer. I employed him, yes I received the PayPal funds I was to use in paying him, but Fredfrankhussle scammed me and collapsed my businesses. The money remains with him till as of today

I will never collect the money from him at the value of the funds he received. I must get full value or at least 70% of the value of my businesses he destroyed.

And as for UMARSeo. I trained and mentored him. The mentorship fee is charged 10,000 Naira for my services. The balance owed to him out of the 20,000 Naira would be 10,000 Naira.

This is how things panned out.
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by Belsh: 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2023
Pls , i need someone with experience on backyard poultry training that can guide me
Re: Small Scale Poultry Farming In Nigeria To Make Millions (2023) by ssfarmsng: 8:12pm On Jul 09, 2023
OomaJ19:
Poultry farming in Nigeria is a thriving industry, and it’s not surprising considering the country’s high demand for poultry products.

Over the years, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria has become increasingly popular, especially among rural farmers and aspiring entrepreneurs.

It is a section of Farming in Nigeria that any aspiring Agric entrepreneur should be eyeing.

This type of agriculture provides numerous benefits including a relatively low startup cost, flexible production options, and the potential for significant returns.

In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria, from setting up a poultry farm to the challenges and opportunities in the industry.

Whether you’re a seasoned farmer or just starting out, this guide will provide valuable insights into Nigeria’s small-scale poultry farming world.

What is small-scale poultry farming?

According to Investopedia. Poultry farming is a form of animal husbandry that raises domesticated birds such as chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese to produce meat or eggs for food.

Poultry – mostly chickens – are farmed in great numbers.

Also, more than 60 billion chickens are killed for consumption annually. Chickens raised for eggs are known as layers, while chickens raised for meat are called broilers.

The current state of small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

Small-scale poultry farming is widespread in Nigeria and is an important source of income for many rural families.

According to recent estimates, there are over 50 million chickens in Nigeria, with most of them being raised on small-scale farms.

The industry provides employment for thousands of Nigerians and contributes to the country’s food security by providing a source of affordable protein for millions of people.

However, to realize its full potential, the industry must overcome the challenges it faces, including limited access to funding and disease outbreaks.

By addressing these challenges and supporting the growth of small-scale poultry farming, Nigeria can not only improve the lives of small-scale farmers but also contribute to the country’s food security and economic growth.

Next, we can move on to discussing the opportunities for growth in small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria:

Opportunities for growth in small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

Despite the challenges faced by small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria, there are also many opportunities for growth and expansion in the industry.

For example, there is a growing demand for high-quality, locally produced poultry products, both within Nigeria and in other countries.

This presents an opportunity for small-scale farmers to increase their sales and improve their profitability by producing and selling high-quality, premium products.

Another opportunity for growth in small-scale poultry farming is the development of new technologies and innovations in the industry.

For example, the use of precision agriculture techniques, such as drone technology and data analytics, can help farmers to optimize their operations and increase their yields.

Additionally, the development of new vaccines and veterinary treatments can help to control and prevent disease outbreaks, improving the health of poultry flocks and reducing losses for farmers.

Finally, there is also a growing recognition of the importance of sustainable and organic farming practices. Many consumers are now willing to pay a premium for locally produced, sustainably raised poultry products.

This presents an opportunity for small-scale farmers to differentiate themselves from larger, industrial operations and to appeal to consumers who are looking for high-quality, sustainably produced food.

In conclusion, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria presents many opportunities for growth and expansion.

By taking advantage of new technologies and innovations, increasing their focus on quality and sustainability, and tapping into growing demand for locally produced food, small-scale poultry farmers can overcome the challenges they face and build a more profitable and sustainable industry.

Next, we can explore the challenges faced by small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria and possible solutions to overcome them:

Challenges and solutions for small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria

As mentioned earlier, small-scale poultry farmers in Nigeria face several challenges that limit their potential for growth and profitability.

These challenges include limited access to funding, disease outbreaks, and a lack of resources and support.

However, there are also several solutions that can help farmers to overcome these challenges and improve their operations.

One solution to the challenge of limited access to funding is the development of innovative financing models that can help farmers to secure the capital they need to start or expand their operations.

For example, microfinance institutions, agricultural cooperatives, and community-based organizations can provide farmers with the loans and support they need to purchase equipment, build infrastructure, and purchase inputs.

Another solution to the challenge of disease outbreaks is the development of effective disease control and prevention programs.

This can involve providing farmers with access to veterinary services, vaccines, and other preventative measures, as well as educating farmers about best practices for disease control.

In addition, the development of disease-resistant poultry breeds and the use of precision agriculture techniques can also help to reduce the impact of disease outbreaks.

Finally, the development of supportive policies and programs can help small-scale poultry farmers to overcome the challenges they face and build a more profitable and sustainable industry.

For example, the government can provide technical assistance and training to farmers, support the development of new technologies and innovations, and encourage the growth of local markets for poultry products.

In conclusion, small-scale poultry farming in Nigeria faces several challenges, but there are also many solutions that can help farmers to overcome these challenges and improve their operations.

By providing access to funding, improving disease control and prevention, and supporting the growth of the industry, Nigeria can build a more sustainable and profitable small-scale poultry farming sector.

Types of Birds available to make money are

Chicken (Broilers and layers)
Ducks (Egg, Meat)
Geese (Egg, Meat, and feathers)
Pigeon (Meat)
Quail (Egg, Meat)
Turkey (Meat)

For the purpose of this article, we will be concentrating on Chicken Farming.

Profitability of Poultry Farming in Nigeria

1. Chickens Reproduce Quickly
Almost every day or at least four times per week, a healthy layer lays an egg. Some breeds can lay up to 325 eggs each year, which hatch in 21 days.

This implies that a Layer theoretically has the capacity to produce two more chickens in a period of three days.

Thus, 500 healthy layers of good breeds (such as California whites) can produce 12,000 chicks in under 40 days if they are in good health.

2. Chickens Grow Quickly
The egg hatches in 21 days, and after 28 weeks, the product is ready for sale. That indicates that after successfully establishing the farm, a farmer may begin to make money in just 34 weeks, and according to this figure, any returns he makes might treble in a year.

3. Chicken Sells at an Excellent Price
In Nigeria, a fully grown, healthy chicken costs between ₦3,000 and ₦10,000 and above. Consequently, if you raise 12,000 chickens on your farm, you will earn more than ₦40 million when all of them have been sold.

4. The egg market is Large
In addition to chicken, eggs are a separate source of income. For little eggs, a crate costs between N1500 and N2000, while larger eggs cost between N2000 and N3000 and above.

Furthermore, each box has 30 eggs inside. You will therefore earn above ₦1,000,000 per month if you have 500 layers that produce 12,000 pullets every month and opt to sell them all.

As you can see, Nigerian poultry farming offers mouthwatering profits and amazing returns on investment. The main issue right now is how to launch this firm.

How to Start a Small-Scale Poultry Farm in Nigeria

Things you need to start a poultry farming business in Nigeria
To start poultry farming in Nigeria, you will need the following:

Capital
This will be used to purchase the land, construct a poultry house, purchase birds, and cover other start-up costs.

Land
The size of the land required depends on the scale of the poultry farm. It should accommodate the poultry house, feeding and drinking areas, and manure pit.

Poultry House
The poultry house must be designed to protect the birds from weather elements and predators. It should be spacious enough to provide enough space for the birds to move around in other not to hinder their growth.

Birds
You will need to purchase day-old chicks or point-of-lay birds. Choose a breed that is suitable for your area, and that has a good reputation for egg production and growth rate.

Feeding and Watering System
You will need a feeding and watering system for the birds, including feeders and drinkers.

Incubator
You will need an incubator for hatching eggs, especially if you are starting a layer farm.

Electricity, Equipment, and Supplies
You will need electricity and purchase other equipment, such as heating lamps, nests, and lighting fixtures, as well as supplies like feed, bedding material, and disinfectants.

Marketing Plan
You will need a marketing plan to sell your eggs and birds, which could include direct sales, distribution to supermarkets or food markets, or online sales.

Knowledge and Skill
You will need to have knowledge of poultry farming, including bird nutrition, health management, marketing, and cost. Consider taking courses or workshops to build your knowledge and skills.

Labour
You will need to hire labor for feeding, cleaning, and general management of the poultry farm.

Support from Government
It is important to obtain support from the Government, as they can provide you with information and resources to help you start and run your poultry farm.

Read the full article at https://www.moshinfohub.com/small-scale-poultry-farming-in-nigeria-to-make-millions-2023/

Quite inspirational, but practically, it would be difficult to make 1 million Naira each month with 500 layers. I'm a poultry farmer and I have much larger number of layer chickens. Yet, I don't make 1 million Naira every month.

SS Farms Limited,
Ijagemo, Ojo LGA,
Lagos.
Phone and WhatsApp: +2349093788124
SS Farms' Poultry Farm: http://www.ssfarms.ng/products/poultry/

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

We Supply Fertilizers NPK & UREA In Large Quantity. Call: 08020575395 / Poultry Farm Needed. / Push-type Seed Planters For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.