Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,185 members, 7,825,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps (20891 Views)

Subsidy: FG To Fix One Refinery Before December — Kyari / Oil Subsidy: Reps Summon Finance Minister, Give One-Week Ultimatum / Fuel Scarcity: Timipre Sylva Speaks On Removing Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 06, 2023
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Omoapena(m): 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2023
Yankiss:
Dangote will not sell cheap PMS. His monopoly of cement is telling on Nigerians. We should brace up for the outcome. He is chasing to amass dollars and become the Forbes richest man in the planet, not the welfare of me and you!

Even if he built five refineries which it's not possible for him to fund, he can't be in top 5 richest men on planet...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Rebelutionary: 1:32pm On Feb 06, 2023
englishmart:
I don't know if you knew that Dangote refinery is a money laundering project. That refinery is a northern project. Dangote alone can't fund that project.
Shame on you all.
Oga tell the billionaires you know from wherever you come from to do the same...if we had three of this maybe just maybe we wont be having this queues. Nigerians don't care about all this conspiracy B.S you put out there to seem smart!
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by makavalley(m): 1:37pm On Feb 06, 2023
savcy:
If Dangote didn't build one, an entire oil producing country wouldn't have one working refinery. We've been having consecutive bad leaders since 1999. So bad it's unbelievable that we're still one after 23 years.

You can imagine what bad leadership has plunged an oil producing country into... The refineries we've what happened to it rather they keep using it to syphon money every now and then

1 Like

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by mclorenzo(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2023
Which are the other refineries he is referring to?
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by FireUpNow(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2023
YinkaOlusesi16:
We can't wait oooo. Atleast removing the subsidy will reduce cost of living of Nigerians.
you better wake up from your sleep. Nigerians are in for more hard times coming. The govt destroyed our refineries
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 06, 2023
How very sad, the country has 4 refineries no attempt is made to resuscitate them, these law breakes are bold enough to tell us that they re waiting for one man to decide whether he wants to finish building his fake refinery before subsidy is removed.

Are they the spokes persons for NNPC and PPMC now? The same body that is trying to force independent marketers to sell at N195/ litre regardless of how much they bought at the depot.

Is there any FG tank farm that is operational now?

If the FG wants independent marketers to sell at N195 it should instruct the depot owners to sell at the regulated N170 naira a litre.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Jummate(m): 1:47pm On Feb 06, 2023
OMG. What's all these nah. I'm afraid this might leave us at the mercy of Dangote. Imagine relying solely on his refinery to cater to the needs of the teeming populace. We might just be walking on the edge with this way of monopoly, thanks to the ineffective people at the helms of affair who have refused to think out of the box and do the right thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by SALIMAN(m): 1:51pm On Feb 06, 2023
So that we will buy fuel at 420 naira per litre

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by IMASTEX: 1:54pm On Feb 06, 2023
YinkaOlusesi16:
We can't wait oooo. Atleast removing the subsidy will reduce cost of living of Nigerians.
The same way cement that is fully produced here cost little or nothing. grin grin
The country never ready to balance yet, so nor too raise your hope. After subsidy end, other big scam channels still remain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2023
englishmart:
I don't know if you knew that Dangote refinery is a money laundering project. That refinery is a northern project. Dangote alone can't fund that project.
Shame on you all.

The soruces of funding for the project are open

Dangote brouight 3 bn dollars of his money, the rest came from local and internantional commercial banks and the African development bank and the CBN. NNPC also brought a stake in the refinery, and government provided things like cash incentives.

Not one drop of money came from Northerners...apart from Dangote himself.

And the banks gave him the loans because they know he has the collateral.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 06, 2023
Yankiss:
Dangote will not sell cheap PMS. His monopoly of cement is telling on Nigerians. We should brace up for the outcome. He is chasing to amass dollars and become the Forbes richest man in the planet, not the welfare of me and you!

So you want him to sell cheaply...at the expense of his profits?

How will he pay his workers, the taxes, repair costs, upgrade costs...even the expansion costs (because work is projected to continue on the refinery until 2030 at the earliest.).?

Because, apart from the loan CBN gave him, he has gotten zero gofment money.

Also, he has loans to pay. He has to pay the banks, etc that gave him loans?

At the end, he is a businessman, just like millions of Nigerians...from the hawker in the street to the big man in his office. They are not interested in YOUR wlefare, they are interested in making profits for themselves, their shareholders, and their workers and families...most of whom are Nigerians like you.

If you want cheap fuel...see where cheap fuel has led us to. Four wrecked refineres.

1 Like

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by pocom35: 2:04pm On Feb 06, 2023
reiddecuti:
I won't be surprise if Dangote source his buyers from outside country. And all hope these useless government that have bedevilled Nigeria since 4th republic will be dashed.

A responsible government would have taken up the task to fixed the refinery but not in Nigeria.

Look at UK energy crisis, it was because government sold off it's assets to private sector and subsidize again thereby costing them more to checkmate the highcost of energy. At least, they have a responsible government.

For those of us relying on Dangote refinery, be ready to embrace the turbulence it will come with. What does this mean, government is indirectly handing off her role in the sector to private sector and more chaos is coming.

1) Nigeria government has hands-off in the
transportation sector.

2) They have partially hands-off in the education and health sectors. That's why we have more of private sector dominating in these sectors.

3) What about energy sector (electricity, diseal, petroleum) - partial hands-off.

4) What about security - partially hands-off.

That's why there's chaos, where the sectors record low productivity thereby creating no new jobs and the jobs out there, only few pay decent wage.

Nigeria government has failed and will continue to fail until the day we say enough. It's a pattern that has been birthed and need to be broken before any progress is made.

It is in nature of man that once a pattern is established, he will always travel round the pattern, unless it is broken by 'Discipline, Will, and Commitment'.

Aside security... All of the sectors you mentioned supposed to be dominated by private sector... energy inclusive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by pocom35: 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
Jummate:
OMG. What's all these nah. I'm afraid this might leave us at the mercy of Dangote. Imagine relying solely on his refinery to cater to the needs of the teeming populace. We might just be walking on the edge with this way of monopoly, thanks to the ineffective people at the helms of affair who have refused to think out of the box and do the right thing.

Dangote will not extort anyone.. regardless of monopoly...it is still government responsibility to regulate the price through PPPRC..

Dangote will sell the products at their normal prices which is no less than N400 for PMS... subsidies is what brings that price to N197
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
savcy:
If Dangote didn't build one, an entire oil producing country wouldn't have one working refinery. We've been having consecutive bad leaders since 1999. So bad it's unbelievable that we're still one after 23 years.

No, it is because subsidy, the thing most of you agitate for, and love, forces NNPC to operate at a loss, which means it has no extra funds for new refineries and suchlike.

That is why many NNPC execs past and present have been shouting for years that subsidy must go.

Right now, NNPC is importing fuel above N500 and selling it at N172 depot price. HOW would they make profit to pay for new refineries? By magic.

Even the subsidy we use...most of the time, money is taken from other sensible things, and used for subsidy, so that NNPC does not collapse in the process.

I mean, if you were a rice farmer, and it cost you N30000 to produce one 25kg bag of rice, and you sell it at N35000 to make a profit of N5000...WOULD you agree for government to tell you to sell that bag of rice at N10000 instead...to help the poor?

We do not have a refinery, because subsidy forces the NNPC to operate at a loss. That is why we are in the mess we are. Plus, since free government money comes to NNPC whether refineries work or not, thanks to subsidy, corruption results.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 06, 2023
Jummate:

With the subsidy gone, other people would be interested in refining petrol.

Dangote could afford to build a refinery with subsidy in place simply because he had the collateral needed to get loans from the banks.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by ibtommy(m): 2:13pm On Feb 06, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I see dangote exploiting Nigerians once he's refinery is completed, I see fuel selling for over N200 per liter, I see people complaining, I see dangote exporting the file to neighboring African countries and selling to them at N80 per liter.

This I have seen.
Thank God say na "file" you talk, thou False Prophet grin
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by ZombieSlayer1: 2:17pm On Feb 06, 2023
kingthreat:
Let subsidy go at abeg Lets know if we will be buying fuel 300 or 400 and live with that reality than the scarcity of fuel when you need it.
What are you guys even saying?
I bought fuel at 420 2days ago in Owerri and I bought at 450 this morning in Port Harcourt.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by ZombieSlayer1: 2:20pm On Feb 06, 2023
Sleekfingers:

Of course , no cheap fuel.......current, in Africa. Nigeria PMS is the cheapest....so after removing subsidy , it will be in the region of 500 naira per litre
I bought fuel at 420 2days ago in Owerri and I bought at 450 this morning in Port Harcourt

And considering that Nigeria is an oil producing country, are we supposed to be buying fuel at such high cost?
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by blueAgent(m): 2:40pm On Feb 06, 2023
What a useless government, the best thing would have been for the government to totally privatise the four oil refineries to local and foreign companies while hoping dangote refinery comes online.

This would reduce petrol costs, shoreup our dollar reserves, and ensure adequate supply of petrol.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by blueAgent(m): 2:42pm On Feb 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

So you want him to sell cheaply...at the expense of his profits?

How will he pay his workers, the taxes, repair costs, upgrade costs...even the expansion costs (because work is projected to continue on the refinery until 2030 at the earliest.).?

Because, apart from the loan CBN gave him, he has gotten zero gofment money.

Also, he has loans to pay. He has to pay the banks, etc that gave him loans?

At the end, he is a businessman, just like millions of Nigerians...from the hawker in the street to the big man in his office. They are not interested in YOUR wlefare, they are interested in making profits for themselves, their shareholders, and their workers and families...most of whom are Nigerians like you.

If you want cheap fuel...see where cheap fuel has led us to. Four wrecked refineres.

That's not true.

It is not cheap fuel that wrecked the 4 refineries.

It's corruption and Nepotism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by blueAgent(m): 2:43pm On Feb 06, 2023
Omoapena:

Even if he built five refineries which it's not possible for him to fund, he can't be in top 5 richest men on planet...

Even Top20 he would not be among them.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by grandstar(m): 2:54pm On Feb 06, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I see dangote exploiting Nigerians once he's refinery is completed, I see fuel selling for over N200 per liter, I see people complaining, I see dangote exporting the file to neighboring African countries and selling to them at N80 per liter.

This I have seen.

You know zero about petroleum pricing.

Do you think he picks the crude oil for free? Do you think petrol is sold for N80 in other countries?

What most lovers of subsidy fail to realize that the benefit of local refining in respect to cost is very low. Kachikwu had already said some years back that it was cheaper to import refined oil than to produce it locally with the existing NNPC refineries.

If the differential in the local and international ricewere so significant, NNPC refined oil would be cheaper.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2023
377:
for your dream abi
It would to some extent pls let's not be hopeless Nigeria can still be better
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by nedekid: 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2023
377:
for your dream abi
It might. Let the refinaries work. Nnpc should let any Tom dick and Harry use his money to import fuel if the person can make money out of it. Ie a free for all market, without restrictions as is done around the world.
American has refinaries, yet business people import diesel and fuel if there is profit to be made.
Once this is done freely in Nigeria. The prices will come down just as prices of sim cards in naija came down from 20k to nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Jummate(m): 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

With the subsidy gone, other people would be interested in refining petrol.

Dangote could afford to build a refinery with subsidy in place simply because he had the collateral needed to get loans from the banks.

Hmm...I'm inclined to agree to this. How many people have such luxury and wherewithal to establish a refinery?. Just a tiny minority, I think. But then, fingers crossed.
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Yankee101: 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2023
Nonsense
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 2:57pm On Feb 06, 2023
Shame .....waiting for another man investment to remove subsidy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Jummate(m): 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2023
pocom35:

Dangote will not extort anyone.. regardless of monopoly...it is still government responsibility to regulate the price through PPPRC..

Dangote will sell the products at their normal prices which is no less than N400 for PMS... subsidies is what brings that price to N197

Doesn't selling at a price "not less than N400" still amount to extortion? This still leaves us in the unwanted situation of being at his mercy. I don't think the PPPRC can do very much to stop this, given the lack of competition that would arise as a result.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Papichulostunne(m): 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2023
They are sick in ghe head.. We have crippled refineries that the can renovate.. why wait till Nigeria has to feed off of one man(Figure head). We l know that alot of politicians have inveated in it to cashout of Nigeria and Nigerians
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Sleekfingers: 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2023
ZombieSlayer1:

I bought fuel at 420 2days ago in Owerri and I bought at 450 this morning in Port Harcourt

And considering that Nigeria is an oil producing country, are we supposed to be buying fuel at such high cost?

Is 420 or 450 the official price ?
Re: Waiting For Dangote Refinery Before Removing Subsidy — Reps by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 06, 2023
blueAgent:

That's not true.

It is not cheap fuel that wrecked the 4 refineries.

It's corruption and Nepotism.

Cheap fuel provided the environment for corruption and nepotism to flourish...key word being the fact that subsidy does not allow a profit to be made, and also provides for free money to flow whether or not things are working.

Whereas, if there had been no subsidy, refineries would be forced to work for a profit...meaning sabotage and corruption under such a system would hurt everyone, saboteur included.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Tinubu Should Pick Christians As Chief Of Staff And SGF - Nuhu Ibrahim Bunu / President Kagame Attends Nigerian Governors' Leadership Retreat In Kigali / NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.