Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. (771 Views)

Bun: New Javascript Runtime Faster Than Nodejs and Deno / Facing Problem Integrating Paystack With Nodejs / How To Pick A Language For That Next Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 6:50am On Feb 10, 2023
I have heard this line for a thousand times, that nodejs is not a language but a runtime. But nobody is calling python or php a runtime, but they are all scripting languages. To run a python file , you type “python <file name>” or you include a shebang on top of the file same as nodejs , php, bash etc. But these nodejs guys decided only nodejs out of all the scripting languages is a runtime. And it’s not like you can duplicate any frontend javascript, and run it with node and it will work. The api’s available to them are different, nodejs uses common js, has some inbuilt modules like the path module which frontend javascript doesn’t. I know nodejs makes use of chrome v8 javascript engine. But I believe they didnt copy and paste the codes, there must be some modifications. It would be better to say they have some similarities . But nodejs for me is a scripting language that has a runtime just like other scripting languages like bash , powershell , ruby, perl etc has their own runtime. Because nodejs adopted javascript as its scripting language doesn’t disqualify it from being a language.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by LikeAking: 9:30am On Feb 10, 2023
How the maker take node js?
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
I have heard this line for a thousand times, that nodejs is not a language but a runtime. But nobody is calling python or php a runtime, but they are all scripting languages. To run a python file , you type “python <file name>” or you include a shebang on top of the file same as nodejs , php, bash etc. But these nodejs guys decided only nodejs out of all the scripting languages is a runtime. And it’s not like you can duplicate any frontend javascript, and run it with node and it will work. The api’s available to them are different, nodejs uses common js, has some inbuilt modules like the path module which frontend javascript doesn’t. I know nodejs makes use of chrome v8 javascript engine. But I believe they didnt copy and paste the codes, there must be some modifications. It would be better to say they have some similarities . But nodejs for me is a scripting language that has a runtime just like other scripting languages like bash , powershell , ruby, perl etc has their own runtime. Because nodejs adopted javascript as its scripting language doesn’t disqualify it from being a language.
Interesting and educating rant.

However there's a problem. According to your argument, Python and Anaconda are two different languages. And I've never heard anyone in the python community say such.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Long talks my bro.

It's like saying ReactNative is a language and not a "framework" that allows u build apps on mobile:

The language is JavaScript...

They all have .JS As suffix to tell you they're all children of JavaScript the real language or they're trying to enable JavaScript work or function were it shouldn't in the first place.

NODEJs is a runtime... not a language.

2 Likes

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:

Long talks my bro.

It's like saying ReactNative is a language and not a "framework" that allows u build apps on mobile:

The language is JavaScript...

They all have .JS As suffix to tell you they're all children of JavaScript the real language or they're trying to enable JavaScript work or function were it shouldn't in the first place.

NODEJs is a runtime... not a language.

If that is the case, it will make sense to have a name that describes the combination of nodejs and javascript as one language just like other scripting languages. But until that happens , nodejs for me is language .
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:18am On Feb 10, 2023
GeoAfrikana:

Interesting and educating rant.

However there's a problem. According to your argument, Python and Anaconda are two different languages. And I've never heard anyone in the python community say such.

Anaconda is a runtime for python, right? And people don’t learn anaconda but python, right? But why then do people learn nodejs ? They should just learn javascript and be able to write nodejs applications.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

If that is the case, it will make sense to have a name that describes the combination of nodejs and javascript as one language just like other scripting languages. But until that happens , nodejs for me is language .
Ok o.
Don't say that in interviews sha

3 Likes

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Anaconda is a runtime for python, right? And people don’t learn anaconda but python, right? But why then do people learn nodejs ? They should just learn javascript and be able to write nodejs applications.

Node.js is 100% JavaScript na... u learn it because typical JavaScript from frontend don't teach u how to handle and process user requests from Frontend or how to communicate with a database.

You're basically learning how to use JavaScript on the backend, not NODE the runtime per say.

Node which is the runtime just helps your JavaScript which you've written make sense to the operating system outside your browser.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:54am On Feb 10, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:

Node.js is 100% JavaScript na... u learn it because typical [b]JavaScript from frontend [/b]don't teach u how to handle and process user requests from Frontend or how to communicate with a database.

You're basically learning how to use JavaScript on the backend, not NODE the runtime per say.

Node which is the runtime just helps your JavaScript which you've written make sense to the operating system outside your browser.

Before nodejs there was nothing like javascript on the frontend. Javascript was javascript the one we all know, that is the javascript on the frontend as you call it. Those features added by nodejs is why I said it should be a language on its own.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by DepressedLoser: 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2023
Bunch of idiots on this section... Nothing wey una sabi for here.

1 Like

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Before nodejs there was nothing like javascript on the frontend. Javascript was javascript the one we all know, that is the javascript on the frontend as you call it. Those features added by nodejs is why I said it should be a language on its own.

All the features you're talking about u write them with JavaScript programming language.

3 Likes

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by bularuz(m): 2:07pm On Feb 10, 2023
WTF
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 2:43pm On Feb 10, 2023
JavaScript is used to talk to V8, just the same way JavaScript talks to Chrome Native API via Chrome API, It's a runtime no matter how much I see it. I say that because remember V8 is JavaScript Engine, meaning a C++ that can not only speak JS but can translate JS into Native, I won't call NodeJS a language. it's how ReactNative can talk to NativeModules and NativeModules talk to JS back. They are just using JS because it's easier to write, it could have been done in PHP Syntax or Dart, just like how the Android framework uses Java to communicate with native.

I could be wrong though, but NodeJS as a language nah, that's just V8
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by belovez(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2023
@poster a simple Google search would have saved you from writing and buttressing that Nodejs is a Language
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 3:32pm On Feb 10, 2023
qtguru:
JavaScript is used to talk to V8, just the same way JavaScript talks to Chrome Native API via Chrome API, It's a runtime no matter how much I see it. I say that because remember V8 is JavaScript Engine, meaning a C++ that can not only speak JS but can translate JS into Native, I won't call NodeJS a language. it's how ReactNative can talk to NativeModules and NativeModules talk to JS back. They are just using JS because it's easier to write, it could have been done in PHP Syntax or Dart, just like how the Android framework uses Java to communicate with native.

I could be wrong though, but NodeJS as a language nah, that's just V8

Ok , agreed that nodejs is runtime environment. But if someone is writing an application using nodejs, What language do we say they are coding in?
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2023
DepressedLoser:
Bunch of idiots on this section... Nothing wey una sabi for here.

Depressed loser indeed.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 3:53pm On Feb 10, 2023
belovez:
@poster a simple Google search would have saved you from writing and buttressing that Nodejs is a Language

That’s a good idea. I have been talking about runtime without knowing what it means thereby saying that it is a programming language. Pls , I don’t know what it is . Can you tell me what is ? And also tell me the difference between a runtime and a language.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 4:31pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Ok , agreed that nodejs is runtime environment. But if someone is writing an application using nodejs, What language do we say they are coding in?

V8 is Javascript Engine, so Javascript, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It should be what syntax is used to talk to Node.

Because Java too can parse JS (Rhino) but C++ is faster I hope it helps
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 4:32pm On Feb 10, 2023
Javascript on Node is Scripting, you can't access the DOM, BOM API in Node, just like how Android Java doesn't have almost the full set as Java SE ( pls correct me o, I might be outdated)
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 5:32pm On Feb 10, 2023
qtguru:
Javascript on Node is Scripting, you can't access the DOM, BOM API in Node, just like how Android Java doesn't have almost the full set as Java SE ( pls correct me o, I might be outdated)

You are still coming back to my point. Because the javascript you write for the browser is different from that of the backend , that’s why I am making my arguments. The V8 that chrome uses is not exactly the same V8 that node uses. For example, nodejs V8 understands the keyword “require”, chrome V8 doesn’t. And when you are looking to develop a backend in node , you ask for nodejs developer and not javascript developer. I am just making these arguments because of the newbie that being thrown into confusion when they are told that nodejs is not a programming but a runtime without an explanation of what a runtime is. The guy above that’s asked me to go to google that I asked what a runtime is has still not replied me.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Luckydonalds(m): 6:31pm On Feb 10, 2023
OP, You should have simply asked someone to explain this to you instead of insisting that you're more knowledgeable than seasoned programmers who have always referred to it as a runtime.

To explain to you, JavaScript was created initially as a DOM manipulation language and it has been serving that purpose ever since. Google's V8 engine is used to parse frontend JavaScript and execute the instructions. It only works on your browser as V8 engine is embedded in Google Chrome.

NodeJs is a runtime environment that is used to execute JavaScript code outside the browser. In this case, we are taking JavaScript out of the browser and executing it with the same V8 engine but this time with NodeJs as a runtime (the browser serves this purpose in the frontend). Some modules and global variables were then added to the runtime to enable different functions which could not be done originally on the browser.

I genuinely hope you understand this, If you have further doubts, I'll be pleased to clear them.

1 Like

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 10, 2023
Bro you need to take a nap.

1 Like

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

You are still coming back to my point. Because the javascript you write for the browser is different from that of the backend , that’s why I am making my arguments. [b]The V8 that chrome uses is not exactly the same V8 that node uses. [/b]For example, nodejs V8 understands the keyword “require”, chrome V8 doesn’t. And when you are looking to develop a backend in node , you ask for nodejs developer and not javascript developer. I am just making these arguments because of the newbie that being thrown into confusion when they are told that nodejs is not a programming but a runtime without an explanation of what a runtime is. The guy above that’s asked me to go to google that I asked what a runtime is has still not replied me.

Yeah I'm out of this discussion

3 Likes

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

You are still coming back to my point. Because the javascript you write for the browser is different from that of the backend , that’s why I am making my arguments. [b]The V8 that chrome uses is not exactly the same V8 that node uses. [/b]For example, nodejs V8 understands the keyword “require”, chrome V8 doesn’t. And when you are looking to develop a backend in node , you ask for nodejs developer and not javascript developer. I am just making these arguments because of the newbie that being thrown into confusion when they are told that nodejs is not a programming but a runtime without an explanation of what a runtime is. The guy above that’s asked me to go to google that I asked what a runtime is has still not replied me.
"The V8 that chrome uses is not exactly the same V8 that node uses."
Yeah I'm out of this discussion,
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

You are still coming back to my point. Because the javascript you write for the browser is different from that of the backend , that’s why I am making my arguments. The V8 that chrome uses is not exactly the same V8 that node uses. For example, nodejs V8 understands the keyword “require”, chrome V8 doesn’t. And when you are looking to develop a backend in node , you ask for nodejs developer and not javascript developer. I am just making these arguments because of the newbie that being thrown into confusion when they are told that nodejs is not a programming but a runtime without an explanation of what a runtime is. The guy above that’s asked me to go to google that I asked what a runtime is has still not replied me.

Chukwuemeka I don't know u as someone who smokes weed.

This is unlike u sha. grin

If Node was as programming language as you're insisting they wouldn't have added JavaScript in its name na grin

People way create NODEJs told you it's a runtime and you're here arguing up an down mixing facts with your own emotions as if the world revolves inside your head.

Haven't you heard companies say they're looking for a REACT OR ANGULAR developer?

Does that make the aforementioned a programming language? 😆

1 Like

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 8:43pm On Feb 10, 2023
My advice don't share this idea outside nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by chukwuebuka65(m): 9:33pm On Feb 10, 2023
Una don win.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by qtguru(m): 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
Una don win.

It's not about winning, it's about what's stated, you're free to believe what you believe as long as you're not in front of professionals, facts will be brought up

1 Like

Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by Obasempiree(m): 10:19pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
without JavaScript there is no node.js
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by silento(m): 11:05pm On Feb 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

see brother , brother wey mumu

stop smoking kpai before u open nairaland
nodejs is not a language
if u know ur onions well everything that claim to be node js blah blah u can run it in a vanilla js
python is languages but nodejs and php are not
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by belovez(m): 9:33am On Feb 11, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

That’s a good idea. I have been talking about runtime without knowing what it means thereby saying that it is a programming language. Pls , I don’t know what it is . Can you tell me what is ? And also tell me the difference between a runtime and a language.

As a programmer your top notch skills is research and ability to learn and unlearn. I will still refer you to my first post Google search or visit the Nodejs documentation you will see the explanation clearly dont argue blindly.
Re: Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. by kpakodev: 10:32am On Feb 11, 2023
Nodejs is built on the chrome v8 engine
what is chrome v8?
chrome V8 is a javascript engine

javascript was initially design for web browser use
Nodejs is javascript that can be used outside a web browser

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exciting Opportunities, Endless Possibilities / Helpppppppppppp! Asp.net Code Issue / I Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.