Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Masters Or Phd? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Masters Or Phd? (1293 Views)

LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU / Study In Uk For Bsc,msc Or Phd Without Paying A Dime In School Fees / Free Bsc, Masters Or Phd Scholarships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters Or Phd? by 27naira(m): 8:07am On Sep 10, 2011
Hello folks, i solicit for as many views as possible.
I am winding up my Msc in a reputable university and already has a slut in a top Oil and Gas firm. BUT i was also offered the privilege of pursuing my phd in the states with one of the top universities in Texas (UT Houston or Rice university) all paid expense by the same firm. Please note, am almost 28 and seriously wants to settle down.

If you're me, will you pick the job and move on or will you pursue the Phd?? (additional 4 years of study cry )

help me.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by 27naira(m): 8:10am On Sep 10, 2011
anybody?
Re: Masters Or Phd? by DOWHILE: 11:16am On Sep 10, 2011
You know why people did not comment? Cos ur post is not dat clear. Did u say the company is sponsoring you?, pls be specific and u will see my advise. Hey, 28years? u are not doing bad even if u go for the Phd.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by 27naira(m): 11:41am On Sep 10, 2011
yes. The company is sponsoring me
Re: Masters Or Phd? by chamber2(m): 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2011
Lets start from here. Are you in Nigeria or US? If the company is sponsoring your PhD, is there possibility you would be employed after your PhD or will start looking for another job thereafter? In what field are you doing the PhD and how relevant is it in the industry?

These are a few pertinent questions you need to answer before you take the leap.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by 27naira(m): 6:01am On Sep 11, 2011
Am not in Nigeria. My field is geophysics. Actually, the company is an NOC (National Oil Company) of a country i wouldnt want to mention. I have been enjoying the company's scholarship right from when i started my graduate studies in the UK. They offered me a job and also an opportunity to pursue my Phd. I can either go for the job or go for my Phd still under their sponsorship.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by chamber2(m): 10:51am On Sep 11, 2011
27naira:

Am not in Nigeria. My field is geophysics. Actually, the company is an NOC (National Oil Company) of a country i wouldnt want to mention. I have been enjoying the company's scholarship right from when i started my graduate studies in the UK. They offered me a job and also an opportunity to pursue my Phd. I can either go for the job or go for my Phd still under their sponsorship.

If that is the case, i will advise you to take the job. There is always time to do the PhD if that is what you want. PhD these days is mainly for the ego, it does not add more to your pocket, unless you want to lecture thereafter.

Also, you are already 28 and will be about 32 by the time you finish the PhD. At 32, without work experience you may find it difficult getting a job that suits your skills and training. At 32, you will be too old to be taken as a trainee staff and still will not pass for an experience recruit. This poses a great danger, unless if you want to teach.

Take the job, work, marry, save and then go for PhD later. You can take a study leave later, spend two years in the school to satisfy residency requirements and then go back to your job while still on your research.

Life is too short to gamble with opportunities.

my 2cent
Re: Masters Or Phd? by idmanzik: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2011
Life is not all about the money but satisfaction. If you say you've been enjoying the company scholarship right from grad school then there is a greater chances that this company will want you after PhD (why will they offer to send you for PhD if they will not want to call you back).

PhD at 32 is ideal, you'll have an upper edge at the firm, that is if you want to return to the same firm because you'll be the one to choose where you want to go to and there will be other research opportunities.

Please go for your PhD, it is definitely the way forward.

Good luck
Re: Masters Or Phd? by 27naira(m): 6:21pm On Sep 11, 2011
chamber2:

If that is the case, i will advise you to take the job. There is always time to do the PhD if that is what you want. PhD these days is mainly for the ego, it does not add more to your pocket, unless you want to lecture thereafter.

Also, you are already 28 and will be about 32 by the time you finish the PhD. At 32, without work experience you may find it difficult getting a job that suits your skills and training. At 32, you will be too old to be taken as a trainee staff and still will not pass for an experience recruit. This poses a great danger, unless if you want to teach.

Take the job, work, marry, save and then go for PhD later. You can take a study leave later, spend two years in the school to satisfy residency requirements and then go back to your job while still on your research.

Life is too short to gamble with opportunities.

my 2cent

I really do appreciate your response, Thanks.
I actually feel am running down on age and need some work experience before i pursue further studies. we're riding on the same boat.

idmanzik:

Life is not all about the money but satisfaction. If you say you've been enjoying the company scholarship right from grad school then there is a greater chances that this company will want you after PhD (why will they offer to send you for PhD if they will not want to call you back).

PhD at 32 is ideal, you'll have an upper edge at the firm, that is if you want to return to the same firm because you'll be the one to choose where you want to go to and there will be other research opportunities.

Please go for your PhD, it is definitely the way forward.

Good luck

your comment is remarkable. Thank you. I really want to do Phd but wouldnt want all the certificates without basic work experience. Though, hopefully, if i take up the program, i'll be involved in a major project and work with world renowned professors. Don't you think am a little old for this? lol smiley just asking.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by chamber2(m): 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2011
27naira:

I really do appreciate your response, Thanks.
I actually feel am running down on age and need some work experience before i pursue further studies. we're riding on the same boat.

your comment is remarkable. Thank you. I really want to do Phd but wouldnt want all the certificates without basic work experience. Though, hopefully, if i take up the program, i'll be involved in a major project and work with world renowned professors. Don't you think am a little old for this? lol smiley just asking.

The truth is, PhD in geophysics at 32 without adequate work experience will not really fetch you much except maybe in academics. I strongly suggest you take up the job and garner few years of work experience and then go back to school if that is your dream. people go for PhD upon completion of Msc only if there is no ready employment for them or they want a lecturing career. In your case, you have the opportunity of working in an oil firm. Also, your PhD may not really add much to your prospects even if the firm decides to employ you upon completion. You will still be struggling for positions with guys with Bsc and Msc with adequate work experience.

After 4-5 years of work experience, then you can get your PhD. After that you may even decide to work as a consultant or take up senior research positions in leading organisations.
Re: Masters Or Phd? by chemfood: 9:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
You are absolutely right

(1) (Reply)

U.i Admission 2012/2013 Academic Session. / Nigerian Navy Batch 23/24 Result Is Out? / IMSU 2013/2014 Post Utme Dates Have Been Fixed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.