Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,397 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down (623 Views)

2020 PTDF MSc and PhD scholarship in the United Kingdom / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / 2018 NDDC MSC And PHD Scholarship Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Bestcreamreview: 11:45am On Feb 11, 2023
Good morning guys, please I need honest opinions. I am a female, currently 23 years old. I studied one of the 4 year-courses at the faculty of basic medical sciences in a federal university and graduated with a strong 2:1 (4.3 CGPA). I started NYSC in June last year and I'll be done by May/June this year. Now I'm confused about what to do after service.

I've always wanted to study medicine and spending my service year in a reputable teaching hospital has increased my love for the profession. I would like to go back to school to study medicine via direct entry but my friends and relatives think it's a bad idea, some suggested I get a job after service and try to settle down (i.e get married and start a family), my parents suggested I get a Masters degree, a job and then a husband. Everyone around me thinks going back to study medicine would be a waste of time but I'm worried about feeling unfulfilled or unhappy with my decision in the future. I've read stories about women who gave up on their dreams to settle down or pursue other career options that are less stressful and time consuming and some end up regretting their decision while others say it's the best decision they ever made.

My parents are ready to support me financially if I choose the direct entry option over the one they want but they are worried I may not be able to start a family early, starting a family in my early or mid twenties is very important to them. I'm also worried about being a financial burden to them after service, currently, I have about two jobs I do in addition to NYSC, I haven't asked my parents for a kobo since I graduated, I worked at a lab for over six months before NYSC. I've tasted financial freedom and it's refreshing, I fear that I may not be able to work while in med school because it is stressful and time consuming.

What would you advise me to do? You don't have to tell me exactly what to do, just share your honest opinion about the situation. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Duchessree(f): 11:51am On Feb 11, 2023
I would advise you to go back to school to study medicine, as you're passionate about it.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by frozen70(f): 12:03pm On Feb 11, 2023
Bestcreamreview:
Good morning guys, please I need honest opinions. I am a female, currently 23 years old. I studied one of the 4 year-courses at the faculty of basic medical sciences in a federal university and graduated with a strong 2:1 (4.3 CGPA). I started NYSC in June last year and I'll be done by May/June this year. Now I'm confused about what to do after service.

I've always wanted to study medicine and spending my service year in a reputable teaching hospital has increased my love for the profession. I would like to go back to school to study medicine via direct entry but my friends and relatives think it's a bad idea, some suggested I get a job after service and try to settle down (i.e get married and start a family), my parents suggested I get a Masters degree, a job and then a husband. Everyone around me thinks going back to study medicine would be a waste of time but I'm worried about feeling unfulfilled or unhappy with my decision in the future. I've read stories about women who gave up on their dreams to settle down or pursue other career options that are less stressful and time consuming and some end up regretting their decision while others say it's the best decision they ever made.

My parents are ready to support me financially if I choose the direct entry option over the one they want but they are worried I may not be able to start a family early, starting a family in my early or mid twenties is very important to them. I'm also worried about being a financial burden to them after service, currently, I have about two jobs I do in addition to NYSC, I haven't asked my parents for a kobo since I graduated, I worked at a lab for over six months before NYSC. I've tasted financial freedom and it's refreshing, I fear that I may not be able to work while in med school because it is stressful and time consuming.

What would you advise me to do? You don't have to tell me exactly what to do, just share your honest opinion about the situation. Thank you

I think you should further your education and go for medicine

Marriage is not automatic, what if you waited all these long to get a suitor and they don't come, you would have waited for nothing yet you didn't go for medicine

You can still be in medical school and get engaged and still round up your studies and still become pregnant before your service

Just follow your heart its your life not their's

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Bestcreamreview: 12:13pm On Feb 11, 2023
frozen70:

I think you should further your education and go for medicine

Marriage is not automatic, what if you waited all these long to get a suitor and they don't come, you would have waited for nothing yet you didn't go for medicine

You can still be in medical school and get engaged and still round up your studies and still become pregnant before your service

Just follow your heart its your life not their's
Thank you so much for this!!
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Bestcreamreview: 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2023
Duchessree:
I would advise you to go back to school to study medicine, as you're passionate about it.
thank you
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Derasab(f): 1:07pm On Feb 11, 2023
Go and start medicine dear. I'm in the same shoes, a little bit older than you. Studied physiology and pursuing direct entry medicine now. Everything else will flow
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by frozen70(f): 1:18pm On Feb 11, 2023
Bestcreamreview:
Thank you so much for this!!

Thanks sis
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Tempest7: 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2023
Go back and study medicine, you will not regret it.
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by princely4ever: 4:44pm On Feb 11, 2023
Take a deep breath along with the mindset of the accomplishment you've already made and go for medicine. I believe a huge favor awaits you even based upon what you have already accomplished. All the best.
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by AAICE: 4:47pm On Feb 11, 2023
Go for medicine,before you know it, you'll be done,or best go for state or private University to be on a safer side.
Looking for work and settling down may take longer than you expect, leaving you stranded.
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 11, 2023
There is nothing sweet in medicine. Life is hard don’t use medicine to make your life harder. Why do you want to study medicine? Prestige? the career is no longer as prestigious as it used to be 20 years ago. Nobody cares if you are a doctor or doing yahoo or an IT guru, just make money and be happy.

Is it money? Use all that 6 years to learn tech and tell me whether you won’t be a guru and comfortable be making what consultants make in a month in a week.

I wanted to study medicine too but I later outgrew that desire. If they give me admission free of charge to study medicine in unilag. I won’t go lol

It’s not like after you finish 6 years that’s all. You will do house job for 1 year, you will write exam to apply as resident doctor and serve extra 6 years under your ogas (consultants). Except you wanna travel out. Just know you’ve sentenced yourself to a life of constant book reading.

Mstcheew medicine, I’m never amazed when I see a doctor, I see them as normal human beings and most of them are cocky, proud and have bad mouth. Only few of them genuinely care and love their job.
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by SufferHeadAjebo: 11:22pm On Feb 11, 2023
Your Passion for Medicine is Valid.
I know alot of ladies that went back to study medicine after their service year and didn't regret that decision. Your mindset is laudable. What you need at the moment is to feed your passion with Positivity and Optimism.
Check out Ruyina Eteng YouTube channel for more inspiration. There is a lady I know, who is currently in this phase of life. I wish I could connect you guys so you guys can be source of Encouragement and motivation to one another.

All the Very Best!

My Question is Why don't you take UTME instead and increase your chances ?
Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by TONYE001(m): 11:27pm On Feb 11, 2023
Bestcreamreview:

Now is the time to pursue your dream/career ambition, not later. Now you have limited responsibilities, your parents are there for you, you are young too.

Please, apply for medicine. Aside DE, also get UTME form and prep for the exam.

If you don't, you may never feel fulfilled in life.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Study Medicine Or Get A Job/msc And Settle Down by akwesenana: 9:53am On Feb 12, 2023
Dont try to register utme and de at the same time.

(1) (Reply)

Information on Bayero University? / Part Time Form / Do You Know The Date For Unical Post Ume?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.